Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFS Promises Christmas Heatwave

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Harps wrote: »
    A bit confused as to what I'm seeing here, from what I can tell both are showing the 850hPa temps for Thursday morning yet they're showing a massive difference.

HIRLAM makes a lot more sense so I assume I'm reading the NAE
    chart wrong?
    The ECMWF is going for warmer T850s than other models so that would explain the Hirlam's warmth. It depends on the exact strength of the SWerly gradient, which depends on the southerly progress of the cold pool from Greenland. Therein lies the difference I would say. Stronger gradient means stronger SWerly flow bringing the warmer temperatures that bit further north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Met Office white Christmas infographic showing snow at Christmas in the UK over the last 50 years.
    snow-at-christmas.jpg

Five ME stations were at 12.0 C or more at midday.

Valentia 12.6
    Claremorris 12.4
    Finner 12.2
    Oak Park 21.1
    Johnstown Castle 12.0

The coldest was Knock at 10.5 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Su Campu wrote: »

Valentia 12.6
    Claremorris 12.4
    Finner 12.2
    Oak Park 21.1
    Johnstown Castle 12.0

We are enjoying a barbecue down here!!

Kids playin in the paddling pool and all!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Su Campu wrote: »

Valentia 12.6
    Claremorris 12.4
    Finner 12.2
    Oak Park 21.1
    Johnstown Castle 12.0

I'm at 12.7c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Reading 14c here in Kerry and feels warm too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its very mild in the sun but still a bit chilly indoors, I guess we need a few more days for the effect to warm the bricks up fully! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

I don't have a weather station to report temperatures...

But I do have daisies (Bellis Perennis) growing again and flowering on the fields... crazy.:confused: I'll post picts later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Tazio wrote: »
    But I do have daisies (Bellis Perennis) growing again and flowering on the fields... crazy.:confused: I'll post picts later...

Like these?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max temp today 14.5c in Waterford City which is the highest December temp recorded at a Waterford station since December 10th 1994 (14.6c)

www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxindex.php

• Advertisement

The northwest should see some light snow and graupel showers above around 200 metres during Friday morning before pressure rises from the west and warmer air moves in again later in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

11°C and dropping

a beautiful view this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Looking almost a definite at this stage:

185991.png

Stratus.

Claremorris maxed out at 13.2C today, with Valentia, Cork Airport and Roches Point all on 13.1C.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Looking almost a definite at this stage:

Stratus.

Stratus- faction? :p

http://www.unchained-wwe.com/gallery/trish-stratus/trishwall.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

My car posted 14° this afternoon for 5 minutes or so while driving through Fanad, Donegal today. Really didn't feel like December!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Nah, more stratus opacus :P

Don't know what happened the image I attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

What are the charts telling us about the length of this mild weather that ruins my nightly sleeps and possibly ruin one of my Christmas traditions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Charts say FABULOUS...simply FABULOUS! :D

186016.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Charts say FABULOUS...simply FABULOUS! :D

186016.png

FABULOUS if you would like lashing rain , good man,

Any how the GEFS says no , but both are so far out they shouldnt be here there should be in the FI thread .

186017.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

christ it is very mild this morning all the people who called sponge bob a troll hang yer heads in shame he was spot on to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jesus Christ came to work this morning in a light cardigan and a top and jeans - no heavy coat, scarf, gloves nothing!! Incredibly mild!! :eek::(

Roll on January - although I wish we were getting our cold snap while we are off work for Christmas - that way it wouldn't cause so much havoc (well for me anyway!):D

But now it doesn't look like we're going to get anything exceptional in January either:confused:!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

christ it is very mild this morning all the people who called sponge bob a troll hang yer heads in shame he was spot on to be fair

I saw it coming a month ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75639579

edit: the weather chart for today and nov 24th are almost identical.

I saw it coming a month ago.
    Next time YOU start the thread and take all the negativity from the rabid snow bunnies. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Next time YOU start the thread and take all the negativity from the rabid snow bunnies. :cool:

shame on you bob people don't want to hear that it's a 99:99% probability to be mild they want the .01% chance of snow

shame on you bob people don't want to hear that it's a 99:99% probability to be mild they want the .01% chance of snow

If THAT is what they want they should go forthwith to the North Korean State News Agency who will see to their peculiar needs.

This tender eulogy to the recently departed was published yesterday. :cool: Sniffz! :cool: It reads like a ghost story foretelling a wintertime manqué.

We can get back to the good news later. For Now:

http://www.kcna.co.jp/item/2011/201112/news21/20111221-48ee.html
    Kim Jong Il's Life Bright as Snow
    Pyongyang, December 21 (KCNA) -- Snow fell over Pyongyang on Wednesday when its citizens are overwhelmed with bitter sorrow and grief over the loss of the sun of the nation.

Snow fell gently on the heads of an endless stream of lamenting mourners.

Not thinking about wiping away snow from them, they recollect the words of leader Kim Jong Il who likened his revolutionary philosophy to snow he loved so much.

Kim Jong Il told officials that devoting himself to the immortality of President Kim Il Sung, the prosperity of the country and the happiness of the people means his philosophy on snow and that means self-sacrifice.

Looking back on world history, there were many statesmen who advocated patriotism and dedication. But, no one has ever made such total dedication with a pure and true mind like snow.

It was only Kim Jong Il who made his life shine like snow.

He worked hard day and night, having uncomfortable sleep and taking rice-balls. He was the first to greet dawn like a man in his twenties. Seeing his dedication in tears, the people would ask him to stop making any more journeys along snow-covered roads in cold weather and sitting up all night. Hearing this, he said he considered it as his pleasure and his routine to do so and continued his journeys despite strong wind and snow and spent nights full of enthusiasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Let's be serious here.

What about all the poor people who cannot afford to turn on the air conditioning in their home this Christmas?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

leahyl wrote: »
    Jesus Christ came to work this morning in a light cardigan and a top and jeans - no heavy coat, scarf, gloves nothing!!

It must be great having the son of God for a co-worker!

Warmest Christmas ....EVER!?!?!?!

http://www.thejournal.ie/are-we-going-to-get-our-warmest-christmas-ever-313706-Dec2011/
    The forecasters at Met Éireann have predicted a “very mild” but windy day tomorrow with temperatures reaching as high as 13 degrees Celsius.

This time last year, temperature lows of -15C were seen in various areas of the country. That means Sunday could be about 26C warmer than 2010′s Christmas Day.

Overnight temperatures of between 9C and 10C should make it easy for Santa Claus to make his deliveries in extra-quick time.

However, temperatures may be a fraction too low to beat the record temperature of 13.7C set in 1974, reports the Irish Independent today

It made 13.3c on Wednesday in Shannon but it looks like it might be just a tad too breezy on Christmas day.

And happy seasonals to all the Graupel Ghouls who have contributed to this thread so far. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Sponge Bob for el Presidente.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement