Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFS Promises Christmas Heatwave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So it looks like it's going to be more of the same till the new year, no noticeably mild weather nor noticeably cold weather either.

We have actually been quite lucky to get any snow at all really this month- in the past such a setup further north would have more than likely led to sw-ne jet profile, which in turn would have meant weeks of mild south westerlies.

looking ahead, if we can get lower pressure established into europe, it may facilitate height rises to the north east in the longer term, especially if there is a good warming event to disrupt the vortex towards the end of the month. If there is to be a significant change, models should be picking up on it around the second week in January.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Build Baby Build! :cool:

185581.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

As posted in the FI thread, the GFS Op run seems to be overly optimistic with how mild it'll get and on high pressure building. Mean is still below zero for Christmas Day

graphe_ens3_lxi8.gif

graphe_ens4_qot4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Such a depressing tread,anyway come on the cold! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Odds swinging back in favour of an average to mildish Christmas day, but with some cloud and rain as weak warm fronts move up from the SW:

185589.png

Still 50/50 at this early stage but encouraging if you are Sponge Bob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Such a depressing tread,anyway come on the cold! ;)

Google let it snow for your fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Amazing to see the turn around within a week. The GFS for Wednesday shows T850 of almost +11 °C, and the freezing level around 3,500 m!

Dublin Airport forecast sounding, Wednesday 21st, 18Z

185716.PNG

Mmmmm, I can feel the warmth already. :cool:

185724.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Mmmmm, I can feel the warmth already. :cool:

bring it on (although abit less rain would be nice)

currently 6.8 degrees and rain here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I dont mind the warm weather, but that means rain usually in winter.

Not exactly good weather to get around in!!

• Advertisement

Latest 850hPa temp forecast for noon, Christmas Day:

185797.png
    IMAGE: Vedur.is
    A relatively mild, but breezy and potential wet set up. GFS showing a similarly mild forecast but with frontal zones not so near to our shores.

Still to far out to be any way confident but odds still in favour of the milder outcome for Christmas Day. At this stage I'd say about 60% chance with 40% chance of it being cooler.

Christmas Tune Countdown: Christmastime

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Latest 850hPa temp forecast for noon, Christmas Day:

185797.png
    IMAGE: Vedur.is
    A relatively mild, but breezy and potential wet set up. GFS showing a similarly mild forecast but with frontal zones not so near to our shores.

Still to far out to be any way confident but odds still in favour of the milder outcome for Christmas Day. At this stage I'd say about 60% chance with 40% chance of it being cooler.

Christmas Tune Countdown: Christmastime

Thanks for the above post DE.

I visit that Icelandic website often and find it very accurate, particularly in terms of temperature. I have checked it just now and it only runs up to midnight on Xmas Eve into Xmas morning - however your screen capture shows the time as midday on Xmas Day.

How do you extend the time period on that website? Do I do something with the link at the top of the page?

Thks

D

derekon wrote: »
    Thanks for the above post DE.

How do you extend the time period on that website? Do I do something with the link at the top of the page?

Thks

D

You can change the forecast period by changing the actual image url, for example:

http://www.vedur.is/photos/sjo_atlant_hitaspa/111219_1200_12.png

the last section of the url shows the forecast chart for 12hrs ahead (or from the actual run time) i.e, the '12' before the .png. If you change the number in this section in increments of 6 you can go right up to 240hrs (10 days, which is how far the ECMWF forecast charts go)

EG:

Forecast for 18hrs:
    http://www.vedur.is/photos/sjo_atlant_hitaspa/111219_1200_18.png

Forecast for 144hr:
    http://www.vedur.is/photos/sjo_atlant_hitaspa/111219_1200_144.png

Forecast for 240hr:
    http://www.vedur.is/photos/sjo_atlant_hitaspa/111219_1200_240.png

You can do the same with the wind speed and rainfall charts as well although the forecast precipitation only shown up to 132hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Not at all :) Just wanted to mention it as I have 20 euro on snow falling in Dublin during Christmas Day. Got the bet at 9/2 in November. Also, the thought of a white xmas is lovely even though the chances of same are now low.

Should any cold materialise next week, it will be another dose of this northwesterly maritime influenced showery weather and even then not anywhere as cold as it was this week. That's the way it looks at present.

I'll buy that bet of ya for €1

There is a chance of brief snow on high ground in the northwest late Thursday and into Friday morning before mild air pushes in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

http://www.exactaweather.com/UK_Long_Range_Forecast.html

I still cannot get my head around James Madden's post on Sunday. I find it incredible. What, where, how did he come up with this conclusion. Why would he make a complete mockery of the long range forecasting game by producing such a misjudged short to medium range forecast.

The media has not mentioned his latest forecast and no doubt will not mention the "-20c within weeks" stories they ran in October.

Was James' website hacked? Or is he a chancer? One or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats barking stuff (esp as its been up for 2 days)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

i was reading somewhere there expecting temps around 4 - 6 degrees or that in scotland on xmas day.. like it could possibly snow on the highest mountains there couldnt it ??
    and as they say it only takes one snow flake to the ground to call it an official white christmas ..
    not backing him up , but is there a possibility it could snow in scotland ? cause if it did he will probably turn around and say there was snow and he was right !! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

I still cannot get my head around James Madden's post on Sunday. I find it incredible. What, where, how did he come up with this conclusion. Why would he make a complete mockery of the long range forecasting game by producing such a misjudged short to medium range forecast.

The media has not mentioned his latest forecast and no doubt will not mention the "-20c within weeks" stories they ran in October.

Mate i,m truly lost for words too. :confused:

ECMWF, GFS & UKMO 12z runs continuing to show a mild, breezy if gloomy Christmas Day:

185910.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

ECMWF, GFS & UKMO 12z runs continuing to show a mild, breezy if gloomy Christmas Day:

185910.gif

At this range, it is what it is. A mild christmas. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Trolling of the highest caliber!

I assume he's just trying to grab a few headlines again so more people check out his website, no other sensible reasoning behind it

It certainly is looking bleak at the moment, I'm heading back to the west coast for Christmas week so endless low cloud and drizzle to look forward to :rolleyes:

I left a message in his guestbook, but by the looks of the other complimentary messages that appear there I don't stand much chance of getting it published.

http://www.exactaweather.com/Guestbook.php?posted=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Its all publicity, I wouldn't even access his site. Some people are good forecasters, others are just sensationalists that want to make money and need the publicity. Makes me angry.

Kippure wrote: »
    ,I'm truly lost for words too. :confused:

I am not sure why.. :confused: It isn't as if this guy's 'long-range' (or even short or medium-range) forecasts are any way credible or accurate. This is the same fella that predicted some sort of big freeze for last October, and was influential enough to have this totally baseless forecast quoted by the national media which hyped people up expecting something that didn't, and was unlikely, to happen.

People (not us weather enthusiasts of course) seem to have a short memory though and still continue to be drawn in by these totally rubbish forecasts because it tells them what they want to hear. It is pure an utter tabloidism which plays on the ignorance of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

Apart from a blip on December 23 when temperatures will be in single figures and prob around 5 to 8c the charts look like 9 to 11c most days pre and post xmas right up to the new year.

In fact Germany, France and some of those countries look like having a very dry couple of weeks. However I would say that here it will be drizzly and wet too in the North and West at times.

This just what im picking up from charts so cant understand why someone would think snow. The only snow in Sligo so far this winter that lay on low levels was when the jetstream was pulled South by a storm that hit France.

There are no such scenarios in 2011(hope that by predicting all this Ill jinx it and lows will somehow miraculously dig down like last year). Id say the chances of a white christmas are around 25/1 now even. Does anybody think thats being too negative or is it realistic?

The chances for christmas are more like 100-1 Paul.

Thought I'd take this opportunity to wish y'áll a happy new year.

185922.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The chances for christmas are more like 100-1 Paul.

Thought I'd take this opportunity to wish y'áll a happy new year.

185922.png

Why anyone would like this dull, grey, damp depressing weather is beyond me. Ok it will save on the heating bills, nothing like cold sunny clear days in winter.

• Advertisement

A bit confused as to what I'm seeing here, from what I can tell both are showing the 850hPa temps for Thursday morning yet they're showing a massive difference.

hirlam-1-36_frr6.png

111222062018.gif

HIRLAM makes a lot more sense so I assume I'm reading the NAE chart wrong?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement