Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What does everyone pay for 2nd cut into the pit? Likes of 5bales/ac stuff? At what point is it cheaper to make bales?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Feeding 4.5 kgs here. Milk solids at 1.79 with 100% heifers. Just like previous poster grass quality has been an issue for the last 10 days or so( since the growth kicked). Moving onto aftergrass from monday onwards so hoping to cut back to 3-3.5 and also hoping for a little lift in the milk....lots of hoping;)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Freejin

Anybody on here get cows scanned externally rather than arm? Are they on a par for dating accuracy and for diagnosing twins? Also how soon after serving can external scanning be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Freejin wrote: »
    Anybody on here get cows scanned externally rather than arm? Are they on a par for dating accuracy and for diagnosing twins? Also how soon after serving can external scanning be used?

Afaik they need to be fairly well on to be able to scan externally, could be wrong tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

So today we finally paid off the loan for the shed knocked in storm Darwin, 6 years ago now. It was nice to see a small positive balance in that loan account.

I might hold off putting up another one for a few years now:)

• Advertisement

Freejin wrote: »

Using the preg check milk sample testing this year. Accurate from 28 days. Finding it a great job. Only downside is it doesn't pick up twins or embryonic deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭straight

So today we finally paid off the loan for the shed knocked in storm Darwin, 6 years ago now. It was nice to see a small positive balance in that loan account.

I might hold off putting up another one for a few years now:)

Don't tell your wife about the positive

straight wrote: »
    Don't tell your wife about the positive

:D

She spent to whole of our marriage up to this spring giving out about me putting up sheds. She spent a good bit of time since the lockdown helping the kids out with the calves morning and evening and suggested the other day that we should think about putting up a calf shed to reduce the workload and reduce disease pressure, so that's a win:)

When I suggested it last year, I was given an earfull about putting up another shed:pac:

Sometimes you have to plant a seed and wait for it to grow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Mooooo wrote: »

So basically "This container is recyclable" is going to be printed on the container.

You've got to love optics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭visatorro

Timmaay wrote:
    What does everyone pay for 2nd cut into the pit? Likes of 5bales/ac stuff? At what point is it cheaper to make bales?

95 incl vat for self propelled is what I paid for first cut. Not shook out. Crew helped me cover the pit. Bales work out about 11eur. I think. Iv only a few made this year,no bill yet. I'm biased towards pit here. Not overly fond of bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Feeding 4.5 kgs here. Milk solids at 1.79 with 100% heifers. Just like previous poster grass quality has been an issue for the last 10 days or so( since the growth kicked). Moving onto aftergrass from monday onwards so hoping to cut back to 3-3.5 and also hoping for a little lift in the milk....lots of hoping;)

You must have good heifers. Mine are 100% heifers too and are on 1.58 milk solids on 4 kgs per day.
    Edited to say that grass quality is an issue here with 60% of the farm in dire need of reseeding.

Grueller wrote: »
    You must have good heifers. Mine are 100% heifers too and are on 1.58 milk solids on 4 kgs per day.
    Edited to say that grass quality is an issue here with 60% of the farm in dire need of reseeding.

Rome wasn't built in a day, you'll get there sooner than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

You's are both in for a total shock come next April when all them 2nd calvers really get going and pumping out the likes of 25 to 27l average. Not to mind the fact that you'll be amazed with how easy milkings are in the spring without pure heifers ha. 1st year by far the steepest and most difficult learning curve of any stage in a dairy farm, I hear that repeatedly from all new entrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Timmaay wrote: »
    You's are both in for a total shock come next April when all them 2nd calvers really get going and pumping out the likes of 25 to 27l average. Not to mind the fact that you'll be amazed with how easy milkings are in the spring without pure heifers ha. 1st year by far the steepest and most difficult learning curve of any stage in a dairy farm, I hear that repeatedly from all new entrants.
    I wouldn't wish a herd of heifers on my worst enemy, id buy a good (suitable) herd of cows any day. Wouldn't be anything much in it financially (I'd guess!), but sometimes life is too short for such hardships.

76% of heifers held to fixed time ai, any of the rest of ye do it? How did ye fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

76% of heifers held to fixed time ai, any of the rest of ye do it? How did ye fare?

Used estrumate here on day 7 and stayed aiing up to day 21 66% held not overly happy expected better but anyway.. 76% is v decent out of interest did you do sexed semen?

I wouldn't wish a herd of heifers on my worst enemy, id buy a good (suitable) herd of cows any day. Wouldn't be anything much in it financially (I'd guess!), but sometimes life is too short for such hardships.

Was expecting plenty of hardship with them alright but it turned out much easier than expected. We got a couple of tonne of precalver blown into the bin and put all the heifers through the parlour for a couple of months before calving. We rubbed their udders as well as turned on the machine. It meant they were used to the noise,handling,coming and going. It was the best spent time ever.
    The biggest issue we had was we had our fair share of heifers develop mastitis 2 or 3 days after calving. Maybe 7 of 8 of the 70. Cubicles were kept clean bedded with 20% hydrated lime blend. Anyone with similar experience?

Mf310 wrote: »
    Used estrumate here on day 7 and stayed aiing up to day 21 66% held not overly happy expected better but anyway.. 76% is v decent out of interest did you do sexed semen?

No sexed, not at the stage yet to risk it I feel however some seem to have had good results but still seems to be mixed in general.
    Coiled and receptal day 0, estrumate day 5, estrumate and coil out day 6, and ai and receptal day 8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭alps

Was expecting plenty of hardship with them alright but it turned out much easier than expected. We got a couple of tonne of precalver blown into the bin and put all the heifers through the parlour for a couple of months before calving. We rubbed their udders as well as turned on the machine. It meant they were used to the noise,handling,coming and going. It was the best spent time ever.
    The biggest issue we had was we had our fair share of heifers develop mastitis 2 or 3 days after calving. Maybe 7 of 8 of the 70. Cubicles were kept clean bedded with 20% hydrated lime blend. Anyone with similar experience?

Our first year sealing heifers here and very happy with it. All spotless at calving and afterwards. Even though it seems to be manifesting for you after a few days, could the infection still have set in just before or during calving? Are they removed quickly form the calving area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭visatorro

Timmaay wrote:

One new entrant said to me ' someone told me these bastards are gonna calf again next year!! '

alps wrote: »
    Our first year sealing heifers here and very happy with it. All spotless at calving and afterwards. Even though it seems to be manifesting for you after a few days, could the infection still have set in just before or during calving? Are they removed quickly form the calving area?
    +1
    Heifers can be a devil for dropping milk pre or at calving and leave themselves very vulnerable that way.
    I'd milk any heifer dropping milk even a few days before calving, we seal them a month if 2 pee calving with the last few years and we've no problems any more... touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Farney Farmer

No sexed, not at the stage yet to risk it I feel however some seem to have had good results but still seems to be mixed in general.
    Coiled and receptal day 0, estrumate day 5, estrumate and coil out day 6, and ai and receptal day 8

How much does all that cost per heifer?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

I have a cow here with an ulcer at the top of her udder affecting one quarter. Cow has no mastitis and it’s not bothering her. I’ve tried udder creams, sprays and even manuka honey(vet said to try it) but it’s not healing. Anyone have this or know what I could try?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/what-pesticides-are-being-applied-to-grass-and-fodder-crops-each-year/ at last some good news on irish agriculture, less than 1/3 we use than the EU average pesticide usage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭jaymla627

RedPeppers wrote: »
    I have a cow here with an ulcer at the top of her udder affecting one quarter. Cow has no mastitis and it’s not bothering her. I’ve tried udder creams, sprays and even manuka honey(vet said to try it) but it’s not healing. Anyone have this or know what I could try?

intra repiderma gel, if that dosent heal it up noting will

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

kevthegaff wrote: »
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/what-pesticides-are-being-applied-to-grass-and-fodder-crops-each-year/ at last some good news on irish agriculture, less than 1/3 we use than the EU average pesticide usage

Less tillage I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

RedPeppers wrote: »

Could you Milk that quarter OAD to give it a chance to heal alongside whatever you're putting on it topically.

I'll throw up the tweet below but Tommy Heffernan had an interesting conversation with Andre Van Barnevelt a few days ago. He's definitely full on but definitely thought provoking as well. About 50 minutes long.
    https://twitter.com/tommythevet/status/1275687456055099392?s=19

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement