Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018-2027 National Development Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭roadmaster

marno21 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-from-the-atlantic-corridor-to-20000-school-places-how-the-116bn-investment-in-irelands-future-will-be-spent-36609590.html

Tomorrow's Indo makes a vague reference to the Atlantic corridor being included - we'll find out in full tomorrow.

I wonder will it be the same atlantic corridor mentioned a decade ago

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If Limerick and Waterford are truly to be hubs, a fully upgraded type-2 DC N24 is a no brainer, right?

The original Atlantic Corridor linked Limerick to Waterford via Cork. So M20, NRR and M25.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Did it also include Tuam to Letterkenny/Derry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Anyone got a link to the report???? What does it say on Knock Airport--- I heard it mentioned on News this morning!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Atlantic Corridor reference so far seems to be Tuam-Letterkenny, as Letterkenny and Sligo have been announced as regional hubs

I'd imagine the N17 Knock-Tobercurry-Collooney and the N15 Ballybofey-Stranorlar for definite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Projects included in the new Capital Plan:

Inter urban roads:

M20 Cork-Limerick + possible N40 North Ring Road
    N6 Galway Ring Road
    M7 Naas/Newbridge bypass upgrade (already under construction)
    N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange (already fully funded)
    N69 Listowel bypass (already fully funded)
    M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy
    M21 Limerick-Foynes
    N22 Ballyvourney-Macroom (already fully funded)
    N72/N73 Mallow relief road
    N59 Moycullen bypass (already fully funded)
    N25 New Ross bypass (already fully funded and under construction)
    M11 Gorey-Enniscorthy (already fully funded and under construction)

Accessibility to the North West:

N4 Collooney-Castlebaldwin (already fully funded)
    N5 Westport-Turlough (already fully funded)
    N5 Ballaghaderreen-Scramoge
    N52 Ardee bypass (already fully funded)
    N2 Slane bypass
    N56 Dungloe-Glenties & Mountcharles-Inver (already fully funded)

In addition, another bundle of projects have been reactivated for preappraisal and certain projects will be prioritised for inclusion:

* N2 Clontibret-NI Border
    * N2 Ashbourne-Kilmoon Cross
    * N2 Ardee-Castleblayney
    * N3 Clonee-M50
    * N3 Virginia bypass
    * M4 Maynooth-Leixlip
    * N4 Mullingar-Longford
    * N4 Carrick-on-Shannon to Dromod
    * M11 M50 to Kilmacanogue
    * N11/N25 Oilgate to Rosslare
    * N13 Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass
    * N13/N56 Letterkenny relief road + DC upgarde
    * N14 Letterkenny-Lifford
    * N17 Knock-Collooney (encompassing Knock-Tobercurry/Tobercurry bypass/Tobercurry-Collooney)
    * N21 Abbeyfeale releif road
    * N21 Newcastlewest relief road
    * N24 Cahir to Limerick Junction
    * N24 Waterford to Cahir
    * N25 Waterford to Glenmore
    * M50 Eastern bypass Phase 1: South Port Access
    * N52 Kilbeggan to Tullamore

Breaking this down:

Inter urban roads:

These two are PPPs so I will omit these entirely:
    N25 New Ross bypass (already fully funded and under construction)
    M11 Gorey-Enniscorthy (already fully funded and under construction)

This is the 4th time these have been announced, as part of Fianna Fail's 2nd PPP tranche, as part of the 2012-2016 plan, as part of the 2015-2022 plan and now the 2018-2027 plan.

These 5 projects are part of the 2016-2022 plan and are fully funded under same.

M7 Naas/Newbridge bypass upgrade (already under construction) - under construction, remainder of funding is ~€55m
    N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange (already fully funded) - 2019 start, 2021 finish, expected cost €100m
    N69 Listowel bypass (already fully funded) - to start before 2021, expected cost ~€30-40m
    N22 Ballyvourney-Macroom (already fully funded) - to start Q1 2020, expected cost €150-160m
    N59 Moycullen bypass (already fully funded) - to start 2021, expected cost €20m

There is funding of approx €300m requried to finish these projects, all of which will be done before 2022.

The following projects have funding in the 2016-2022 plan to get them to the "shovel ready stage". It's assumed this plan will fund their construction:

M20 Cork-Limerick + possible N40 North Ring Road - approx €850-900m, should be ready to go around 2022 if fully funded
    N6 Galway Ring Road - will be shovel ready in 2021, approx cost €600m
    M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy - will be shovel ready by 2020/1, approx cost €160m
    M21 Limerick-Foynes - will be shovel ready by 2020/1, approx cost €250m
    N72/N73 Mallow relief road - will be shovel ready by 2021/2, approx cost €40-50m

Total cost of the above is around €1.8-2bn

Total cost of the inter urban section is €2.1-2.3bn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Any idea what M50 Dublin Port south access this is?

Any idea what M50 Dublin Port south access this is?
    Connecting the South Port to the M50/Port Tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭zmgakt7uw2dvfs

Breaking this down:

N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange (already fully funded) - 2019 start, 2021 fi

M20 Cork-Limerick + possible N40 North Ring Road - approx €850-900m, .

How can a 100km plus full blown motorway cost only nine times more than Dunkettle? Either the M20 is very cheap, or Dunkettle is very expensive!

• Advertisement

How can a 100km plus full blown motorway cost only nine times more than Dunkettle? Either the M20 is very cheap, or Dunkettle is very expensive!
    Dunkettle is incredibly expensive and complex, given the amount of bridges and the traffic management required.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Dunkettle is incredibly expensive and complex, given the amount of bridges and the traffic management required.
    584ab0fd0cd36.jpg

Breaking down NW Accessibility:

No PPP reannouncements here.

In terms of what's funded under 2016-2022:

N4 Collooney-Castlebaldwin (already fully funded) - to start 2018, approx cost €100m
    N5 Westport-Turlough (already fully funded) - to start 2021, approx cost €130-140m
    N52 Ardee bypass (already fully funded) - to start 2018, approx cost €20m
    N56 Dungloe-Glenties & Mountcharles-Inver (already fully funded) - 2/8 parts complete, 1/8 under construction, 1/8 at tender and 4/8 at planning - expected remaining cost approx €60m.

Total remaining for 2016-2022 schemes: Approx €300m

N2 Slane bypass - should be shovel ready for 2022 barring objections, approx cost €50m
    N5 Ballaghaderreen-Scramoge - decision due July 2018, could start in 2020, approx cost €140m

The Wildcard here is the A5, which is committed to but remains in an eternal state of limbo and could have border issues along with the lack of a Government in NI. I'll leave it out bar the €50m until 2019 which is already committed

Total cost of accessibility to the North West: approx €550m

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Connecting the South Port to the M50/Port Tunnel.

I assume this means some sort of bridge/tunnel from the North side Port to the Pigeon House side of the Port?

The interesting part here is that there is €5.7bn allocated to National Roads and €900m allocated seperately to the M20, meaning that taking the above will cost around €1.7bn to do alongside the A5.

Meaning there should be a balance of €4bn or so to progress other national road schemes. I'd expect a fair chunk of the below to also get done:

* N2 Clontibret-NI Border
    * N2 Ashbourne-Kilmoon Cross
    * N2 Ardee-Castleblayney
    * N3 Clonee-M50
    * N3 Virginia bypass
    * M4 Maynooth-Leixlip
    * N4 Mullingar-Longford
    * N4 Carrick-on-Shannon to Dromod
    * M11 M50 to Kilmacanogue
    * N11/N25 Oilgate to Rosslare
    * N13 Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass
    * N13/N56 Letterkenny relief road + DC upgarde
    * N14 Letterkenny-Lifford
    * N17 Knock-Collooney (encompassing Knock-Tobercurry/Tobercurry bypass/Tobercurry-Collooney)
    * N21 Abbeyfeale releif road
    * N21 Newcastlewest relief road
    * N24 Cahir to Limerick Junction
    * N24 Waterford to Cahir
    * N25 Waterford to Glenmore
    * M50 Eastern bypass Phase 1: South Port Access
    * N52 Kilbeggan to Tullamore

Something along those lines yes, we haven't been told much else other than that, but it is part of the NTA Dublin Transport Strategy 2016-2035.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Are we still looking at 2+2 for the N24?

Are we still looking at 2+2 for the N24?
    2+2 with possibly some Type 1 approaching Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Anything on the N22 Killarney to Farranfore?

Benildus wrote: »
    Anything on the N22 Killarney to Farranfore?
    Pre appraisal in 2018, if it merits it will be added to Capital Plan. No movement on construction likely before 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Haven't had a chance to look through the plan yet but are there completion dates listed for all these schemes or are they to continue at the current snails pace until the they're delayed again in the next downturn?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] are there completion dates listed for all these schemes or are they to continue at the current snails pace until the they're delayed again in the next downturn?

Very unlikely the government would give themselves deadlines for those schemes. Some of them (I really hope I'm wrong) look like a wishlist rather than a plan. ;)

Haven't had a chance to look through the plan yet but are there completion dates listed for all these schemes or are they to continue at the current snails pace until the they're delayed again in the next downturn?
    No timelines in the plan, but feel free to ask on any of the projects and I can give a timeline based on the info I have.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The N3 Clonee to M50 really needs to happen, some terrible congestion there especially around Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

No timelines in the plan, but feel free to ask on any of the projects and I can give a timeline based on the info I have.

I'm interested in the M11/N11 provisions here. It is at a complete standstill past Greystones every morning by about 7:30.

It seems they have a plan for where the M11 ends at Bray north to Motorway with three lanes to Kilmacanogue, but in my opinion, the three lanes needs to go past Greystones at least, and the remainder of the non-motorway section from there to Coynes Cross to be upgraded to Motorway to finally have this gap upgraded.

Have you found any more specifics on this? Timeline/funding etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Well from a personal point of view the N2, N4 and N17 are the three I'd use most frequently. Wouldn't be surprised if the N2 was put on the back burner until Brexit is sorted but the emphasis on Sligo in the plan will hopefully mean the N4 is prioritised

Also I see no mention of Tuam - Claremorris which was supposedly back on the table, has this been left out of the plan then?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Breaking down NW Accessibility:

No PPP reannouncements here.

In terms of what's funded under 2016-2022:

N4 Collooney-Castlebaldwin (already fully funded) - to start 2018, approx cost €100m
    N5 Westport-Turlough (already fully funded) - to start 2021, approx cost €130-140m
    N52 Ardee bypass (already fully funded) - to start 2018, approx cost €20m
    N56 Dungloe-Glenties & Mountcharles-Inver (already fully funded) - 2/8 parts complete, 1/8 under construction, 1/8 at tender and 4/8 at planning - expected remaining cost approx €60m.

Total remaining for 2016-2022 schemes: Approx €300m

N2 Slane bypass - should be shovel ready for 2022 barring objections, approx cost €50m
    N5 Ballaghaderreen-Scramoge - decision due July 2018, could start in 2020, approx cost €140m

The Wildcard here is the A5, which is committed to but remains in an eternal state of limbo and could have border issues along with the lack of a Government in NI. I'll leave it out bar the €50m until 2019 which is already committed

Total cost of accessibility to the North West: approx €550m

As N5 Westport/Turlough is "fully funded", and as CPOs have been approved, why can it not be started before 2021?

Very busy road to an important tourist centre.
    Also apart from America, the world's supply of Botox is exported along that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Gonzo wrote: »
    The N3 Clonee to M50 really needs to happen, some terrible congestion there especially around Blanchardstown.
    The congestion is often far worse everywhere else *except* the N3. The junctions as designed (and then upgraded) are still not fit for purpose though.

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/road-tolls-likely-government-plans-increase-public-private-partnerships-409369

Article in the SBP today (sorry about the paywall!) about the Government's relaxation on the use of PPPs which mean that more may be used for roads. They namedrop the M20 but that's fully funded in the NDP so I can't see that being one.

However, there are a number of medium to large size projects that were omitted from the NDP which may be viable as PPPs. Viability as a tolled PPP is questionable but the N7, M11, M17/M18, and N25 PPPs would be a thought provoking model:

Some (personal) suggestions of projects not funded in the NDP:

N3 Kells-North of Cavan (2+2)
    N15 Sligo-Leitrim border (HQDC/2+2)
    N17 Tuam-Claremorris (2+2)
    N22 Ballincollig-Ovens (HQDC/motorway)
    N24 Limerick-Limerick Junction (HQDC + 2+2)
    N25 Midleton-Youghal (HQDC/motorway)
    M40 North Ring West (HQDC/motorway)
    M71 Cork-Inishannon (HQDC/motorway)

In addition, not all of the big ticket N2, N17, N24 projects will be done from the exchequer in the NDP. Could be viable as PPPs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This is a very ambitious plan and one that I am delighted to see laid out. However, the M20 and N24 and N4 schemes should take absolute priority.

I really don’t see the need to upgrade the N52 between Tullamore and Kilbeggan. It is of a very good standard. The sections of N52 that really need improving are from Borrisokane to Birr and Delvin to Ardee.

Advertisement