Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anger as jobless told to put Cvs online or lose dole

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I know when I post my CV up online I have 50-60 companies a day ringing me begging me to work for them.
    This is obviously a clever move that will reduce unemployment and not just a crap PR exercise to make it look like Joan Burton is actually doing something

I agree, although I think the people who are looking will already have umpteen CVs up online.

You've got a cohort of people who are just not looking at all and you've also got another group who just have totally incompatible skills (mostly trades, but also professions like architecture, archeology, civil and structural engineering is definitely less impacted as it's more flexible etc) Those were in huge demand during the building boom). Those issues need to be addressed with retraining and very serious incentives to change careers. There are still a % holding out for the construction boom which may never happen again, at least never on the scale that we saw during the bubble.

Others have emigrated so they can continue to work in those sectors.

I think it's definitely worth finding out what people are doing to get a new job though. I don't think they do enough of that and they need to resource it a lot more.

I don't mean threatening people either, some people can sink into really dark places when they're unemployed and others are really just not very good at marketing themselves and get stuck in a rut.

A few months out of the work force can wreck someone's confidence, I've seen people I know in that situation.

You need to figure out why people aren't in jobs and fix those problems.

Jobs Bridge is useful, but it's inadequately policed and it's probably displacing entry level jobs that would be paid otherwise, which is costing the state unnecessary amounts of money.

The main problem is there's inadequate personnel resources (including inappropriate skills, i.e. too many administrators, and not enough career advisor types) in the DPS.

Also, I'm not convinced that career for life civil servants without any experience of how to job hunt (in recent decades) are the most appropriate people be be dispensing advice to the unemployed job hunter. We need a proper service and maybe some volunteers to come on board and help.

I'd quite gladly give a couple of hours a week to help some people write CVs and market themselves, if it'd help out and I think plenty of others would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I know when I post my CV up online I have 50-60 companies a day ringing me begging me to work for them.

Great stuff, you must have the midas touch. I know several lads that are over qualified to work in several professions. Yet never mind a phone call, they never even got an acknowledgement email from prospective employers. But whatever you're doing, you should probably bottle it quick and sell it. Because I'm guessing you'd make a killing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I think it's a great idea and don't see why anyone would be angry about it.

probably because for many, they're will be little chance of getting employment out of it at the moment and for the forseeable future?
    RonanP77 wrote: »
    I've never done up a CV because I've been in full time employment since the week after my leaving cert. If I was unfortunate enough to lose my job I'd be perfectly happy to do up a CV and stick it up online.

as would many. but at the moment unless you really stand out, they're is little point as they're is little chance of getting anything, or at least anything that pays enough that you can pay your costs

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

SpaceTime wrote: »
    You've got a cohort of people who are just not looking at all and you've also got another group who just have totally incompatible skills (mostly trades, but also professions like architecture, archeology, civil and structural engineering is definitely less impacted as it's more flexible etc)

I was an archaeologist and was unemployed in 2008-2010. Got a phone call from Fas one day to go in for a meeting as they had a job which would suit me. It was a job for a geologist. I tried to explain to the woman on the desk that I wasn't qualified and she could not understand the difference between archaeology and geology :rolleyes:

I used my unemployed time to do some Fas courses and got computer qualifications in MS Office etc. Didn't really learn anything new but just having the certs has stood to me as proof that I can use those packages rather than the interviewer going on my say so.

Have an excellent job now with good money and great prospects but there were people in my course who just took the piss; regularly coming in late, if at all, not doing any of the assignments etc. They still all passed and they're still all on the dole. Some people have no incentive I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Thing is despite the PR and spin there just aren't the jobs out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Things are definitely picking up though. Our local newspaper had a full page of jobs last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

BBJBIG wrote: »
    My CV has Value.
    I don't hand it out to Kunts on street corners ...

So, this little Oirish Dictatorship can fook roigh off.

So where do you exchange your CV for food or heat??
    For most folks their CV would only have value If they printed it onto a ten euro note.

Surely at least a modest CV could be out in place so prospective employers could review it for open positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

allibastor wrote: »
    If you wish to see first hand people who just don't want to work, get a job in recruitment.
    I have guys who turn up for interview in shorts and tee shirts, guys who come in smelling of drink, guys who are high, ladies with tops on that are 10 sizes too small for them.
    I have people give me a half page CV and then get annoyed when I ask them about their jobs.
    I had one heavy lady who wore the smallest top with cleavage to her neck who kept pulling at the top, then told her friend outside that I was coping a look (eeewwwww, just no)
    I have sent people job specs and given them loads of help only for them to jack the job in a day or so later cause it was too hard.

Jesus wept.
    The whole SW system seems to be one big dance on Charles Darwin's grave really - a deliberate perversion of nature itself. In it are the seeds of destruction of 'western' civilization. A matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Hermy wrote: »
    Surely a person has the right not to have their personal information posted online?

There's a point. If anyone can access it they can likely get your address, e-mail, telephone number and all the other details. It'll certainly make the stalking easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

padd b1975 wrote: »
    No savings to dip into/borrow from family/friends??

Of course not.....

Borrowing money they might not be able to pay back, that worked out so well for Ireland as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

It should happen, but it won't. Hot air as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

_Brian wrote: »
    So where do you exchange your CV for food or heat??
    For most folks their CV would only have value If they printed it onto a ten euro note.

Surely at least a modest CV could be out in place so prospective employers could review it for open positions.

The details on the CV have value. Marketers (and scammers) would love to get access to a database of people's home address, phone number, email address, date of birth and job history.
    It's easy enough to work out people's relative age, income, class and ethnic background using the information on your CV

I have a modest understanding of how HR people and agencies operate, so would never just post up a generic CV online for people to find

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Borrowing money they might not be able to pay back, that worked out so well for Ireland as a whole.

A Safe Pass and manual handling course can easily be got for well under 200 euro.

it's hardly a second mortgage.

They are both valuable certs to have and compulsory if you go for a job in construction or warehousing.

Top marks for the hysterical comparison though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Streetwalker please don't bring relevant factual information into the debate!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

A Safe Pass and manual handling course can easily be got for well under 200 euro.

I really wish I was in a position where I could consider 200 euro no big deal. It's a practically impossible number for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

How will forcing every unemployed person to upload their CV to (what will most likely be a badly designed and policed website) help the 300,000+ on the live register get proper full waged jobs?

Just more busy work for the unsackable cretins in FAS and DSP, and PR for the government trying to look tough on 'scroungers' to the middle class voters who haven't a breeze of what being unemployed is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mopey

i can see their point but for me personally theres way to many security concerns i dont want want to have to worry about them losing a laptop or usb key up loading a backup to the wrong place theres to much info on a c.v to be throwing it out on every single recruiter there is, i dont even give my email out again because theres to much attached to it

hey heres a mad thing how about they lead by example and publish their c.v's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭flutered

does not fas solas or whatever they call themselves to spend more money have everyones details, when one signs on around here they haave to call in next door to the solas office, there you details are duly noted, a week after signing on a relative was offered a job in canada by solas, are the canadians subsidising them as well as us.

mickstupp wrote: »
    I really wish I was in a position where I could consider 200 euro no big deal. It's a practically impossible number for some people.

Point taken, but it really is peanuts when you compare it to the many multiples of that number that are frittered away on useless degrees and post grad courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭flutered

They are both valuable certs to have and compulsory if you go for a job in construction or warehousing.

some one under 25 has only 100 euro per week to exist, so two weeks dole to get the certs, what are they supposed to live on love and fresh air.

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »
    some one under 25 has only 100 euro per week to exist, so two weeks dole to get the certs, what are they supposed to live on love and fresh air.

What does an Arts student live on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Just think of it as an exploitation /jobbridge register.

The dole is for people actively seeking work, not those that don't want it. In theory anyway!

Don't want the job? Halve their dole

I would once have held the same opinion. However, I now believe that there is a section of our society that, through no fault of their own, are unemployable. They fall between two stools. They don't "qualify" for any support other than the Dole. They lack the skills required to actively seek work and to hold down a job. In other words, they are vulnerable and need our support. I hope allowences will be made for them.
    Those who simply don't want to work, yes halve THEIR benefits, not just their dole, all associated benefits, such as rent, fuel allowance, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 portarlington speakers

What we need is a proper boost to the economy. With over one in ten of us out of work and the main streets of many towns full of closed shops putting our cvs on line won't make much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Its not like most unskilled jobs have loads of CVs thrown at them already. The only people who will be contacted about an online CV are probably not unemployed, unless there's a java developer with 10 years experience on the dole for the fun of it.

The whole "computer illiterate" is a load of ****. Unless you have a disability (and being no good at computers is not one) I would question someones ability to adapt to a new job if they couldnt upload a CV online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

While I agree that putting CV's online is probably an exercise in futility, I don't think it can do much harm. Surely it would make more sense to tackle the issue of unskilled long term dole recipients? I think we need to abolish a system whereby a school leaver can receive dole simply for existing. It creates a lifestyle option for those who don't work and have no ambition in life and creates a huge financial burden for the tax payer who then has to fund them and their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Nothing hysterical about it, 200 quid is a lot of money to a lot of people. Most jobs I've worked in just made you do manual handling courses anyway. "Do you have enough sense to pick up this box without injuring yourself? Great"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Well the Bankers had no complaints. They lose, we pay. The ultimate win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

While I agree that putting CV's online is probably an exercise in futility, I don't think it can do much harm. Surely it would make more sense to tackle the issue of unskilled long term dole recipients? I think we need to abolish a system whereby a school leaver can receive dole simply for existing. It creates a lifestyle option for those who don't work and have no ambition in life and creates a huge financial burden for the tax payer who then has to fund them and their kids.

I think we need to abolish a system where insanely high paid politicians and senior civil servants think farcical ideas like this are a viable solution to the unemployment crisis first. I think it creates a huge financial burden for the tax payer who then has to fund them and their kids private educations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Id hate to be put out like that when looking for Work. The indignaity of putting ones CV on line.

Advertisement