Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anger as jobless told to put Cvs online or lose dole

Options
  • 03-11-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/anger-as-jobless-are-told-put-cvs-online-or-lose-dole-30712631.html

Now I know I am probably opening a can of worms here and that people probably won't bother even reading the article or thinking it through before getting on their high horses. But I though this warranted discussion.

I for one see no issue with this at all. Surely if those currently on the dole are as desperate for work as they claim they would have no problem posting their CVs online?

Obviously if you don't have a computer or are not computer literate then there needs to be an option there to be able to send a paper copy of it off.

But other than that I can't see why anyone would be angry at this. Personally I think it's only right that if you are too lazy to look for work then you shouldn't be entitled to any benefits. Why should the rest of us pay for for such laziness?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

In there first,

this will be good.

To be honest it should not be a big problem, but as usual it will only affect those who actually want work.
    I offered a job to a guy the other day, 24, no qualifications, not much experience.
    He lasted 2 days before telling me he was better off on the dole. I doubt him loading up a job CV will help much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

allibastor wrote: »
    In there first,

this will be good.

There's more of the above posts in these threads than anything else. It will be good will it? Great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Non issue. This is usually how one gets a job these days.
    Obviously there should be support to help people who genuinely don't have the skills to upload a cv.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Can't see an issue with it myself. Although not everyone is computer literate enough to do it.

I would imagine that most people genuinely looking for work would have a CV anyway.

I'd be interested though to know how much of a validation would take place ? Would uploading a generic file work ? I can't see the department checking every line of a file to verify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

What happens if a person gets a job who doesnt want it, he will do nothing get the sack and be back getting his benefits the week after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Could totally work - database of cv's or peoples skills - companies are incentivised to take people on from the database - the longer the people have been unemeployed the higher the incentive.

If you are available for work i don't see how you wouldn't be jumping at the chance to get your CV out there and back into work?

if you're not available for work (ie don't want to) then you get no dole assistance
    if you can't work you'd probably be on the appropriate income support i.e disability benefit and this scheme would not apply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

its very unclear as what "upload your cv" means, but if its in conjuction with a new "fas" website then it'll likely be simply filling out a skills profile and work experience or the likes in an online database.
    A profile that any jobseeker will have either done up as a CV or at the worst in the back of their head as part of their job finding strategy.

if someone who is 7 days a week at a loose end cant manage that, then they dont really deserve 200 odd euro tax free per week - plus rent allowance and whatever other benefits are up for grabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Caprica6

Most people have there cvs online these days its not a big deal.

Personally this method has never worked for me.....just another sensationalist article making it look like there doing something. ....not every one on the dole wants to be on it :/ unfortunately articles like this will make people revert to insults. ...you should check out some of the facebook comments about it already :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

So given the rather cavalier attitude the state holds with personal data, of which a CV is, then a requirement so upload it for distribution would seem to be holding the unemployed in disrespect when compared to non-employed. Not that the latter group are valued much beyond their utility as milch cows for state coffers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Steven81 wrote: »
    What happens if a person gets a job who doesnt want it, he will do nothing get the sack and be back getting his benefits the week after.

The dole is for people actively seeking work, not those that don't want it. In theory anyway!

Don't want the job? Halve their dole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Caprica6

The dole is for people actively seeking work, not those that don't want it. In theory anyway!

Don't want the job? Halve their dole

Took me a year to find a job lucilky the state has a kinder attitude then what you have stated
    ..... with out help I would have been homeless and hungry :/ Also not ever one gets 200 the rate is 188.... I was on 130.....working since I was 15 so had no issue on accepting help :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

My CV has Value.
    I don't hand it out to Kunts on street corners ...

So, this little Oirish Dictatorship can fook roigh off.

There's more of the above posts in these threads than anything else. It will be good will it? Great, thanks.

I did edit after I got in there first.

And as for your value adding post, great, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The move is part of a revamp of the old Fas JobsIreland.ie website, now run by Solas, to allow employers search the Live Register for job candidates.

Right here's the thing... Anyone who has a half decent CV will be on LinkedIn and will probably be actively looking for work anyway. Anyone advertising for staff can place an ad on any site and will probably get a hundred CVs. This will do nothing for jobs in the country because if I'm going to hire someone, be it managerial or a shelf stacker, I'm not going to go looking through CVs online. I'm going to place an ad and see who responds. If I can't get someone, I go to a recruitment agency!

This system will be impossible to enforce and keep track of.
    FAs will need to have access to all job databases and all job postings of every company before they could utilise this.

Unless they just want everyone on the dole to upload a CV to FAS, in which case it would do nothing at all unless there is a search string tie in to match a person to the job spec, which would mean FAS (Solas) would need to update their computer systems and hire better search operators.

Working in recruitment, we have skilled(ish) people who upload Cv's and details of candidates and still never get 100% correct information, so I am at a loss as to how FAS will do it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The INOU has reservations about encouraging people to seek employment?

If ever there was a crowd trying to protect their own interests... :rolleyes:

This is a GOOD thing for unemployed people, and anyone concerned about people who are computer illiterate - you'd swear these people had no friends or family. That's just looking for excuses, and concerns about online fraud or possible identity theft?

Yeah, because unemployed people are swimming in pools of cash...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Only a few months ago, I was stupid enough to be sent/forced onto a very basic level 3, on the same level as the junior cert, computer coursr...to learn new skills as library researching skills and internet skills for 11 months. I wasn't given a choice on courses to do. I put my put foot down and found a course I did want to do. They werent going to help me, it was a private run course, got the forms for the grant, filled it out and left them back myself. Followed it up as I didn't hear back, to be told that I didn't leave the forms back.

Basically, I do what they say.

Have an ordinary degree and a level 6 and well capable of using the internet and applying for jobs.

So according to them I don't know how to upload my CV.

I have no problems uploading my CV, but I don't want to be treated like thick piece of sh!t either, to be sent on a mickey mouse soulless course for 11 months with no job prospects after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

There must be some underlying reason for people not wanting to work. I was fortunate enough to come from a family background that valued work and earning your way through life at some job or enterprise whether employed or self employed etc but many people cannot keep employed all their lives and need help. Those who are unable to keep a job may suffer from depression, drug addiction or some form of health issue which needs to be sorted out first before condemning them as lazy or shiftless out of hand or making some other value judgement based on little or no solid data.

As our country recovers we need to invest time and money in making sure all our people are sufficiently educated to take up the jobs that are becoming available and sorting out the people who cannot work in standard 40hr week job.

Payments may need to be made to people for example that are close to retirement and, due to agism, may never be reemployed again before retirement. Certain mental health issues may exist which prevent some people from holding down a job, these need to be categorised honestly and openly so as to keep the job seeking resources for those most capable of retaining a job and not waste a job seekers and employers time with someone doomed to lose the job too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

From the article
    "I hope that is the case and this is not a measure to weed out those not looking for work, because the vast majority of the unemployed are desperately anxious to get back to work," he said.

"I'm concerned that claimants do not have their jobseekers payment stopped. That would seem to be a very harsh decision if taken."

I'm not sure why a representative of the genuinely unemployed would be concerned at a measure to identify the scammers in their ranks. If an unemployed person is desperate to get back to work then surely anything that raises their visibility to potential employers is to be welcomed? If someone chooses not to do this, or to seek help to do if if they lack IT skills, then I'd be rather uncomfortable about how desperate they really were to find work.

Have an ordinary degree and a level 6 and well capable of using the internet and applying for jobs.

A level 6 in what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be honest this is logical as long as they are putting the resources in place to provide a workable and easy to use solution for the unemployed and an easily accessible resource for potential employers to search. If not then it's another ill-thought out "tick the box" exercise from the Government and PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭sob1467

BBJBIG wrote: »
    My CV has Value.

I take it you do not have a linkedin profile so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I dont think its a bad idea but at the same time I dont think the problem with unemployement is that people dont have their CV's out there, its pretty simple there arent enough jobs in the skills areas that people have, having CV's on line wont change that. Its just more eggwash on the pie of re-election engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This could be good if actually implemented properly, as part of a database accessible to employers. It could be done by filling in relevant fields on a site, which then generates a CV.

It need not even be limited to unemployed people either, if those in employment are interested.

People could include keywords for searches - keywords for skills and areas of knowledge/expertise/expected employment. This would be crucial to make it actually worthwhile/possible for employers to utilise the site properly - I'd imagine many employers would not be too keen on trawling through lots of CVs, when they can just advertise the job and wait for applications as usual.

Many people will 'customise' a CV based on the job they're going for though - talk up some stuff that they feel is more relevant for one job than another though. This might put people with a 'generic' CV online at a disadvantage against people currently in employment, who are not forced to do this.

I'd also have concerns about privacy though. Who gets to see names, addresses, phone numbers, emails?

My main concern though would be that the whole thing would just be window-dressing, and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference except the government would have a few nice soundbites from it, while nobody uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Honest opinion

BBJBIG wrote: »
    My CV has Value.

Clearly it doesn't have much value if your unemployed :rolleyes:

Clearly it doesn't have much value if your unemployed :rolleyes:
    All CV's have value!

Well printed ones anyway, in case you run out of bog roll...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Sounds like a case of making it look like the government are doing something. I wouldn't trust them to keep the information safe in any case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Wouldn't there be issues regarding identity theft?

Genealogy Forum Mod

doolox wrote: »
    There must be some underlying reason for people not wanting to work. I was fortunate enough to come from a family background that valued work and earning your way through life at some job or enterprise whether employed or self employed etc but many people cannot keep employed all their lives and need help. Those who are unable to keep a job may suffer from depression, drug addiction or some form of health issue which needs to be sorted out first before condemning them as lazy or shiftless out of hand or making some other value judgement based on little or no solid data.

As our country recovers we need to invest time and money in making sure all our people are sufficiently educated to take up the jobs that are becoming available and sorting out the people who cannot work in standard 40hr week job.

Payments may need to be made to people for example that are close to retirement and, due to agism, may never be reemployed again before retirement. Certain mental health issues may exist which prevent some people from holding down a job, these need to be categorised honestly and openly so as to keep the job seeking resources for those most capable of retaining a job and not waste a job seekers and employers time with someone doomed to lose the job too quickly.

If you wish to see first hand people who just don't want to work, get a job in recruitment.
    I have guys who turn up for interview in shorts and tee shirts, guys who come in smelling of drink, guys who are high, ladies with tops on that are 10 sizes too small for them.
    I have people give me a half page CV and then get annoyed when I ask them about their jobs.
    I had one heavy lady who wore the smallest top with cleavage to her neck who kept pulling at the top, then told her friend outside that I was coping a look (eeewwwww, just no)
    I have sent people job specs and given them loads of help only for them to jack the job in a day or so later cause it was too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Don't see how this is even a story. That's how it is done here in Germany, the Bundesagentur für Arbeit has one of the biggest jobs databases in Germany. When you become unemployed you will be called into a meeting, your details are discussed (what skills you have, where you can work, etc), profile created and entered into the DB. You will then regularly receive relevant job specs and are expected to set up and attend interviews. Failure to do so results in reduction in welfare.

Advertisement