Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anger as jobless told to put Cvs online or lose dole

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

But what about people on the dole who can't read or write ?

They can be this weeks most vulnerable in society.

Or whoever helps them with their CV can also help them upload it. It should only cost a few million and a 2k payrise...sorry "increment" for the training.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

But what about people on the dole who can't read or write ?

http://www.cocorkvec.ie/index.cfm/page/adultbasiceducationservice

I'm fairly sure there's an equivalent course in every county/borough.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hermy wrote: »
    And then apply for what job Nuts?
    To be fair, there are 10,000 jobs currently being advertised on irishjobs.ie. Not to mention the other jobsites.

And yes, some could be CV harvesting, but more than 2,000 of these jobs are being advertised directly by employers. Any many of these are "general operative" type work, not stuff requiring degrees and 50 years experience.

No, that won't take 150,000 people off the dole queues, but there is work out there for people to apply for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Most of those listings are fake to some extent, I thought everyone knew that? :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Indeed there are jobs out there although where I live it seems that more and more of the "general operative" type work is being advertised under JobBridge.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Hermy wrote: »
    And then apply for what job Nuts?

My point is more to do even with self confidence whether you get a job or not. The fact is employers scan a C.V. in 30 seconds and throw it away if its rubbish.

So many people think their C.V. is grand but its poor and they never get called for an interview. This can have long term affects as a person loses all confidence and slowly starts giving up. At least with a better C.V. it gives people a better chance to get an interview. While you might not get the job the fact you got a interview gives you hope and you keep on trying.

It's tough out their and you can go a long while without getting an interview especially if it's crap employers won't look twice at it.

My point is courses on career development is a far better idea than throwing people on meaningless courses that are of no benefit so they can tick them off the live register.

A friend i know while never went to college would be well able to use a laptop and type out letters. He is after getting sent on to an 11 month course 39.5 hours a week doing ECDL. I mean how can they even justify that a beginner would pick that up in 3 or 4 months these courses are just ticking people of the live register.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Agree with you Nuts.

I can tell you it's very tough out there and it's not gonna get any easier as long as government continue to put in place schemes that don't actually tackle the issue such as the one you describe.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Nuts102 wrote: »
    My point is more to do even with self confidence whether you get a job or not. The fact is employers scan a C.V. in 30 seconds and throw it away if its rubbish.

So many people think their C.V. is grand but its poor and they never get called for an interview. This can have long term affects as a person loses all confidence and slowly starts giving up. At least with a better C.V. it gives people a better chance to get an interview. While you might not get the job the fact you got a interview gives you hope and you keep on trying.

It's tough out their and you can go a long while without getting an interview especially if it's crap employers won't look twice at it.

My point is courses on career development is a far better idea than throwing people on meaningless courses that are of no benefit so they can tick them off the live register.

A friend i know while never went to college would be well able to use a laptop and type out letters. He is after getting sent on to an 11 month course 39.5 hours a week doing ECDL. I mean how can they even justify that a beginner would pick that up in 3 or 4 months these courses are just ticking people of the live register.

The course they were going to put me onto sounds similar. Not ECDL, but very very basic computers for 11 months.

There was a neighbour of mine, who was being sent on the same course for the second time.

So that's how well those type of courses gets you work.

An employer isn't interested in 11 month of a course studying - library researching skills, internet skills, word, excel, communications. Not if you already have a degree, followed by a certificate.

I hadn't a choice in courses. Looking at the fas website at the time, there wasn't anything else available.

They're meant to help you in fas and work with you on your personal progression plan. I hadn't any help, this is the course you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ajmboyce

When one goes on the ole rock and roll do they not have to register with fas and give them their cv? Enda and his merry fools must be looking to install a few more of his cronnies in over paid roles wonder what they are going to do with all the cvs unless they print them off and burn them wouldnt be exactly worried about it anyway they ll make a pure balls of it anyway like everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ajmboyce

When one goes on the ole rock and roll do they not have to register with fas and give them their cv? Enda and his merry fools must be looking to install a few more of his cronnies in over paid roles wonder what they are going to do with all the cvs unless they print them off and burn them wouldnt be exactly worried about it anyway they ll make a pure balls of it anyway like everything else. Just a thought maybe they will print them off and have competitions to see who can construct the best paper airplanes Joan may keep her gob shut and not be braying or she get a cockpit in the mouth. The only one she ll get. So maybe uploading the cvs will have some purpose after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

They're meant to help you in fas and work with you on your personal progression plan. I hadn't any help, this is the course you're doing.
    Fás is there to teach people basic skills so they can get a basic job. One's own "personal progression" is their own responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

The course they were going to put me onto sounds similar. Not ECDL, but very very basic computers for 11 months.

There was a neighbour of mine, who was being sent on the same course for the second time.

So that's how well those type of courses gets you work.

An employer isn't interested in 11 month of a course studying - library researching skills, internet skills, word, excel, communications. Not if you already have a degree, followed by a certificate.

I hadn't a choice in courses. Looking at the fas website at the time, there wasn't anything else available.

At the same time, I'm being put on a 5 month software tester course in Feb next year that has a good chance of getting me a job and a new career direction.

That's if I don't get a civil service role first.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Fás is there to teach people basic skills so they can get a basic job. One's own "personal progression" is their own responsibility.

Thanks for that. But I've got basic skills in computers. Forcing people onto a basic computer course wasn't helping me. And certainly no help for 11 months, considering that they penalise you for taking a day off to attend for an interview and cut a day's dole from you.

Courses should be meaningful, and you should at least get a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You want a job then you will do anything to get one.

Placing the CV on the internet for employees to see is only a good thing, unless you're happy drawing the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Society should be judged on how it treats the weakest in society

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Am I wrong to miss the outrage here?

I have my c.v. listed on multiple websites, and have procured multiple jobs as a result.

People seem obsessed with the personal data thing, your name and address are hardly personal data as they are on the electoral register.

And I've used the FAS website in the past and never been scammed from it.

At the same time, I'm being put on a 5 month software tester course in Feb next year that has a good chance of getting me a job and a new career direction.

That's if I don't get a civil service role first.

I'm glad you're happy.

I was in the UK a few weeks ago looking for work. I was told not enough experience by employers. I had two years of weekly experience as part of my course. And that was never enough to get work.

I'm hoping to do a jobbridge. I didn't want to. But what option do I have. Really hope I get a jobbridge.

I won't be put onto a basic computer course.

That's my plan.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm glad you're happy.

I was in the UK a few weeks ago looking for work. I was told not enough experience by employers. I had two years of weekly experience as part of my course. And that was never enough to get work.

I'm hoping to do a jobbridge. I didn't want to. But what option do I have. Really hope I get a jobbridge.

I won't be put onto a basic computer course.

No offense intended, but haven't you tried to find work in Ireland, Scotland and Australia and failed?

A good session with a career counsellor might be worthwhile? Or a review of your c.v and overall approach to job hunting?

Did me a world of good when I was in a dark place job wise, and I'll never forget how much of a difference it made to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You want a job then you will do anything to get one.

Placing the CV on the internet for employees to see is only a good thing, unless you're happy drawing the dole.

But what employers will bother to look for it? The kind of jobs that employers look for people for are areas with lots of jobs and not enough people. If they were able to do that sort of job they would be employed already. You wont see Pennys or Tesco searching through the CVs online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

allibastor wrote: »
    In there first,

this will be good.

To be honest it should not be a big problem, but as usual it will only affect those who actually want work.
    I offered a job to a guy the other day, 24, no qualifications, not much experience.
    He lasted 2 days before telling me he was better off on the dole. I doubt him loading up a job CV will help much

what kind of job was it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭JasperGeorge.

They have said C.V's must be online. Not that they will be completely public.

It's fair. It's not going to create full employment but it will put people into a system who might not have great experience with job hunting and C.V skills.

Job bridge is a good idea. The only issue some employers abuse it and use two part time people to fill one full time position and thus get the govt to partially fund it. But they are improving and companies are held to account. I can't understand the bad press Job Bridge has gotten.

The dole is for people actively seeking work, not those that don't want it.

Anyone who has a half decent CV will be on LinkedIn and you can take it down anyway when you get a job. I got rid of my LinkdIn when I took my current job for privacy reasons. You don't have to keep your C.V on the govt website I presume?

The only issue I see is solas is never going to be able to handle this as well as a good recruitment company so I don't see private companies using it. But done well it's a good idea and you can take your details down once you gain employment if privacy is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭teddy_303

"Job bridge is a good idea. The only issue some employers abuse it and use two part time people to fill one full time position and thus get the govt to partially fund it."

not true, the tax payer funds the whole payment. A JOBbridge position places around a 27% increase on public finances than a SW payment, while saving double that amount for corporate profits for wealthy shareholders.... all just to massage the jobless figures in most cases...

Advertisement