Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anger as jobless told to put Cvs online or lose dole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What we need is a proper boost to the economy. With over one in ten of us out of work and the main streets of many towns full of closed shops putting our cvs on line won't make much difference.

The dole is a help to get back on your feet . You have to help yourself after that. Its not up to anyone to drag you back to Work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What's wrong with that? My cv is online and I have a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Thread title misleading, I don't see any anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

There are loads of vacancies in my field of work: every employer is advertising through jobsbridge to pay 1.25/hr. I could understand if the employer's profit margins were thin and they needed a little breathing space but some of these are the biggest operators in the County.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The database is a good idea (though likely to be a data protection nightmare, as this country has a long history of enormous database leaks), but using it to threaten the unemployed, makes it look more like an added hurdle/layer-of-bureaucracy, for creating an excuse to kick some people off the dole for trivial reasons.

Also - obligatory mention in threads like this: There are not enough jobs for all of the unemployed, as there are 24 people per job vacancy at the moment:
    http://www.nerinstitute.net/imglibrary/2014/09/201409021647131.jpg
    http://www.nerinstitute.net/blog/2014/09/02/latest-data-on-the-vacancy-rate/

It is more of a "make it look like we're doing something" exercise than anything else though - if government wanted to do something useful about the unemployment problem, money would be spent creating jobs, rather than ignoring the wholly inadequate supply of jobs.
    Are you still posting this inaccurate information? The number of jobs in an economy is not fixed, more people working means higher aggregate demand which means more available jobs.

Anything that can be done to raise the number of people working in the economy is helpful, whether that be facilitating job suppliers to meet with job seekers or encouraging job seekers to heighten their efforts of finding employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

its just making it easier to categorize people before they get thrown onto some bull**** pathway to work scheme or jobbridge. Nothing to do with creating real jobs in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Potentially a good idea in theory, however I would have grave reservations about unscrupulous employers using the Jobbridge scheme for reasons that it wasn't intended for exploiting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,562 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Most people who are seriously looking for work will be throwing out cv's online even without this scheme. Those who have no intention of working will put up some piece of crap cv full of spelling errors etc. which guarantee there won't be any interest in it.

Nothing changes...those who want to work are working or look for jobs, those who don't sit on their arse and do the bare minimum to stay on the scratcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Aren't online CV's sometimes used for identity theft ?
    Dunno if I'd be mad about it to be honest, I'd like to know just how secure the server is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Maybe just drop the name on the CV? Employer can still check CVs without risk of personal intrusion. I don'the see the problem anyways. Shouldn't the people on the dole have their CV online anyways.

The whole point of FAS is to get you a job. It's your responsibility to look for your own dream job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

P_1 wrote: »
    Potentially a good idea in theory, however I would have grave reservations about unscrupulous employers using the Jobbridge scheme for reasons that it wasn't intended for exploiting this.

I think its a bit late to be worrying about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hermy wrote: »
    Surely a person has the right not to have their personal information posted online?
    Nobody's saying otherwise to be fair and nobody is talking about forcing anyone to post their CV online. There is also no right to jobseeker's allowance.

Anyway, this seems like the roots of an idea, but not and idea. There's no point in putting someone's CV online if it just shows an inter cert with 6 passes and 20 years as a labourer.

I rarely reject CVs based on the content alone, but some people you know are useless off-hand. One guy applied to me for a mid-level IT position using an MS Word template (OK, that's not a bad thing), containing the sparsest of information, including a LinkedIn "profile", which was actually just a link to the LI homepage, and it wasn't even clickable. I checked the metadata on the document and he wrote the whole thing in six minutes. Bin.

And this guy already had a job, I imagine there are many unemployed out there with absolute disasters for their CVs.

So instead they should focus on simple stuff; the same database idea, but with actual data rather than just CVs. You get the long-term unemployed in for 30 minutes with an advisor who gets a brief history of their work experience and any qualifications and sticks it into a database. Then someone can come to the DSW saying they need 20 labourers for a building project, and a quick search later and the names pop up.

Or if they prefer, they can sit with the advisor who can proof read their CV for simple errors and also to check layout. There is nothing more difficult than a scattered and poorly formatted CV. Simply rearranging a CV and making it easier to read is the difference between the bin and the first interview.

Anyone who misses 3 appointments with the advisor, loses their jobseekers. Probably a bit humiliating for someone who's perfectly capable of writing a CV and selling themselves, but if you're long-term unemployed you're not in a position to be refusing help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Bambi wrote: »
    And once FÁS have the ould CV online you'll be getting spammed by jobsbridge, f**k that. Moany Joan has already made her neo liberal approach to work clear.

I spose you could hand them up a dummy CV

Neo what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Considering they can't manage job bridge correctly I have little hope here. Half the CVs could be "I love dick"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

duckcfc wrote: »
    I love seeing posts like this lol. Listen, I'm going to let you in on a wee secret you might not know so please keep it quiet because its clear many don't know this.

Right, your hard earned taxes are going to get squandered for the rest if your life. Its just the way the system is set up and only a fool thinks otherwise. Every working man/women in this country is getting raped left right and centre from the government and it ain't ever going to change in your lifetime. Another wee tip, you spend money on food to create energy so please stop wasting your hard earned cash on negative thoughts like this above which you can't change. Accept your a robot in this capitalist system and please stop your moaning about "your taxes"

Indeed, I'd be appreciative of some of the good services we do indeed have, FAS isn't one of them and I don't have much faith the new one will be much better.

Agreed on waste, I think it was found spending hundreds of millions on finding waste ending up just generating more, Jim Hacker and Yes Minister in real life!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Considering they can't manage job bridge correctly I have little hope here. Half the CVs could be "I love dick"

That will be the problem, unless people enter the information correctly, or the government makes FAS do it on their behalf it will be pointless

As you said, they could put in cheese and wine taster for a job or international man of mystery.

I once had a guy who submitted a job as an undersea welder for oil and gas. He was a welder but thought he was being smart. I did actually know a company looking for one so asked him will I pass the details over. He politely said no.

tallus wrote: »
    Aren't online CV's sometimes used for identity theft ?
    Dunno if I'd be mad about it to be honest, I'd like to know just how secure the server is.

I'd presume your private information is left out initially.. And the whole system would probably be taxonomy based. Basically drop down menus to explain what you've done in life so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

padd b1975 wrote: »
    No savings to dip into/borrow from family/friends??

Of course not.....

That's not the point,he was told to call to the Solas office to avail of the courses available.It's mandatory to register with them as soon as you sign on.What's the point if they are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

allibastor wrote: »
    That will be the problem, unless people enter the information correctly, or the government makes FAS do it on their behalf it will be pointless

As you said, they could put in cheese and wine taster for a job or international man of mystery.

I once had a guy who submitted a job as an undersea welder for oil and gas. He was a welder but thought he was being smart. I did actually know a company looking for one so asked him will I pass the details over. He politely said no.

People who dont want to work will continue not working. Whats the point trying to push these people into jobs or stupid courses when the money could be put towards useful courses for fewer people who want to do them. Help the people who want jobs get them first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

I'd presume your private information is left out initially.. And the whole system would probably be taxonomy based. Basically drop down menus to explain what you've done in life so far.

De guvement ain't that organised ... :pac:
    In fact they can't even tie their own shoelaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

zerks wrote: »
    That's not the point,he was told to call to the Solas office to avail of the courses available.It's mandatory to register with them as soon as you sign on.What's the point if they are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

If doing a couple of day long courses was enough to keep me off the dole queue, I would take personal responsibility to get them done.

Paddle my own canoe if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

seamus wrote: »
    Nobody's saying otherwise to be fair and nobody is talking about forcing anyone to post their CV online. There is also no right to jobseeker's allowance.

Anyway, this seems like the roots of an idea, but not and idea. There's no point in putting someone's CV online if it just shows an inter cert with 6 passes and 20 years as a labourer.

I rarely reject CVs based on the content alone, but some people you know are useless off-hand. One guy applied to me for a mid-level IT position using an MS Word template (OK, that's not a bad thing), containing the sparsest of information, including a LinkedIn "profile", which was actually just a link to the LI homepage, and it wasn't even clickable. I checked the metadata on the document and he wrote the whole thing in six minutes. Bin.

And this guy already had a job, I imagine there are many unemployed out there with absolute disasters for their CVs.

So instead they should focus on simple stuff; the same database idea, but with actual data rather than just CVs. You get the long-term unemployed in for 30 minutes with an advisor who gets a brief history of their work experience and any qualifications and sticks it into a database. Then someone can come to the DSW saying they need 20 labourers for a building project, and a quick search later and the names pop up.

Or if they prefer, they can sit with the advisor who can proof read their CV for simple errors and also to check layout. There is nothing more difficult than a scattered and poorly formatted CV. Simply rearranging a CV and making it easier to read is the difference between the bin and the first interview.

Anyone who misses 3 appointments with the advisor, loses their jobseekers. Probably a bit humiliating for someone who's perfectly capable of writing a CV and selling themselves, but if you're long-term unemployed you're not in a position to be refusing help.
    You can do that? :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Wouldn't it be great all the same if all it took to fix the unemployment crisis was for everyone to put their CV online.
    Wonder why we didn't think of this years ago - could have the country a fortune.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

all people have to do is turn up and mess up the interview like in step brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You can do that? :eek:
    Yeah, it's pretty straightforward. But there are also ways to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, it's pretty straightforward. But there are also ways to remove it.

Another reason to pdf your cv I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Why instead of sending people on 11 month ECDL courses that should take 3 months don't they run courses on writing C.V's and interview practicing.

I am back in college now and we are doing a module on preparing your C.V., cover letter, linkedin profile and practicing for interviews.

While i always thought i had a good C.V. and cover letter i really just got shown how poor it was and how unprepared i was for interviews. The fact is most people just don't realise how poor their C.V. is and it's why they never get called to interviews.

A good month course on developing your career is a far better use of taxes than these courses that benefit nobody.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

And then apply for what job Nuts?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hermy wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great all the same if all it took to fix the unemployment crisis was for everyone to put their CV online.
    Wonder why we didn't think of this years ago - could have the country a fortune.

This whole story is a click bait headline.

If you're on jobseekers you're meant to be job seeking. So if you don't engage with the Welfare on measures, like putting your CV online, to help you get a job you could get your dole cut.

If you've problems with creating a CV or basic IT skills there is help out there for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 realistic anorak

But what about people on the dole who can't read or write ?

Advertisement