Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anger as jobless told to put Cvs online or lose dole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Steven81 wrote: »
    What happens if a person gets a job who doesnt want it, he will do nothing get the sack and be back getting his benefits the week after.
    It'll ensure those who want to work find it harder to get work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

jester77 wrote: »
    Don't see how this is even a story. That's how it is done here in Germany, the Bundesagentur für Arbeit has one of the biggest jobs databases in Germany. When you become unemployed you will be called into a meeting, your details are discussed (what skills you have, where you can work, etc), profile created and entered into the DB. You will then regularly receive relevant job specs and are expected to set up and attend interviews. Failure to do so results in reduction in welfare.

Agree with you on this, if the system is used correctly and all details are given correctly and in the correct place it may work, but when has the Irish government ever done this right the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

nelly17 wrote: »
    I dont think its a bad idea but at the same time I dont think the problem with unemployement is that people dont have their CV's out there, its pretty simple there arent enough jobs in the skills areas that people have, having CV's on line wont change that. Its just more eggwash on the pie of re-election engineering

I think a lot of the problem is that people are equating 'no jobs in my sector' with 'no jobs at all'.

Sometimes you just have to be willing to think outside the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Thing I'm not happy is who can see this CV?

Obviously employers can which can be a good thing.

Can INTREO/FAS... With a gap on the CV, how do you fill it, to make yourself look more employable ? ... You can't lie with the FAS. Like off travelling/Carering for sick relative when you were really drawing the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Steven81 wrote: »
    What happens if a person gets a job who doesnt want it, he will do nothing get the sack and be back getting his benefits the week after.

Well the person in question won't get his benefits the week after, if he or she quits the job. If you quit a job, you need to wait for a certain period of time before you can claim benefits, if I remember correctly.
    BBJBIG wrote: »
    My CV has Value.
    I don't hand it out to Kunts on street corners ...

So, this little Oirish Dictatorship can fook roigh off.

So how do you apply for jobs? You mustn't post your c.v. on any online job sites or send them to recruitment agents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

BBJBIG wrote: »
    My CV has Value.
    I don't hand it out to Kunts on street corners ...

So, this little Oirish Dictatorship can fook roigh off.

Make sure you run spell check on your cv.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Berserker wrote: »
    Well the person in question won't get his benefits the week after, if he or she quits the job. If you quit a job, you need to wait for a certain period of time before you can claim benefits, if I remember correctly.

So how do you apply for jobs? You mustn't post your c.v. on any online job sites or send them to recruitment agents.

I am selective about who I send the CV to - especially, those fookin Recruitments Pimps ... a roigh bunch of wasters

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Only a few months ago, I was stupid enough to be sent/forced onto a very basic level 3, on the same level as the junior cert, computer coursr...to learn new skills as library researching skills and internet skills for 11 months. I wasn't given a choice on courses to do. I put my put foot down and found a course I did want to do. They werent going to help me, it was a private run course, got the forms for the grant, filled it out and left them back myself. Followed it up as I didn't hear back, to be told that I didn't leave the forms back.

Basically, I do what they say.

Have an ordinary degree and a level 6 and well capable of using the internet and applying for jobs.

So according to them I don't know how to upload my CV.

I have no problems uploading my CV, but I don't want to be treated like thick piece of sh!t either, to be sent on a mickey mouse soulless course for 11 months with no job prospects after.

The range of courses is very limited.

This whole things sounds like a box ticking exercise tbh, FAS seen to be doing something, anything!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

The database is a good idea (though likely to be a data protection nightmare, as this country has a long history of enormous database leaks), but using it to threaten the unemployed, makes it look more like an added hurdle/layer-of-bureaucracy, for creating an excuse to kick some people off the dole for trivial reasons.

Also - obligatory mention in threads like this: There are not enough jobs for all of the unemployed, as there are 24 people per job vacancy at the moment:
    http://www.nerinstitute.net/imglibrary/2014/09/201409021647131.jpg
    http://www.nerinstitute.net/blog/2014/09/02/latest-data-on-the-vacancy-rate/

It is more of a "make it look like we're doing something" exercise than anything else though - if government wanted to do something useful about the unemployment problem, money would be spent creating jobs, rather than ignoring the wholly inadequate supply of jobs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Surely a person has the right not to have their personal information posted online?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I think it's a great idea and don't see why anyone would be angry about it.

I've never done up a CV because I've been in full time employment since the week after my leaving cert. If I was unfortunate enough to lose my job I'd be perfectly happy to do up a CV and stick it up online.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

K-9 wrote: »
    The range of courses is very limited.

This whole things sounds like a box ticking exercise tbh, FAS seen to be doing something, anything!

I was told of a guy who was layed off recently,he was offered a job but needed a Safe Pass & Manual Handling.He went to his local Fas/Solas and was told "we don't have funding".Off to the dole office with him & they went nuts when he explained the scenario.

TLDR: Guy wants to work but those tasked with helping him just put obstacles in the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

And sure while they are at it, sure put down all criminal records on it as well. This will be their loophole to not get employed because most of the dole bums have records that are like books.

Hermy wrote: »
    Surely a person has the right not to have their personal information posted online?

I agree!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

zerks wrote: »
    I was told of a guy who was layed off recently,he was offered a job but needed a Safe Pass & Manual Handling.He went to his local Fas/Solas and was told "we don't have funding".Off to the dole office with him & they went nuts when he explained the scenario.

TLDR: Guy wants to work but those tasked with helping him just put obstacles in the way.

I know someone who did a 12 week FAS Project management course just to keep the job office happy. They had years of experience as a sales manager with a multinational and lecturer told them there would be an assignment etc before the certificate was granted. They didn't really care because they had more experience that the lecturer and didn't need the Cert anyway. About 4 weeks in they had to miss a class and was subsequently told by the lecturer that they only needed to do something like 3 of the 12 classes anyway and they didn't really need to do the assignment either.

They never returned and a few weeks after getting a job, they received a FAS Cert for project management in the post... for a course they didn't complete and didn't do any work on. This is where our taxes go!

smash wrote: »

This is where our taxes go!

I love seeing posts like this lol. Listen, I'm going to let you in on a wee secret you might not know so please keep it quiet because its clear many don't know this.

Right, your hard earned taxes are going to get squandered for the rest if your life. Its just the way the system is set up and only a fool thinks otherwise. Every working man/women in this country is getting raped left right and centre from the government and it ain't ever going to change in your lifetime. Another wee tip, you spend money on food to create energy so please stop wasting your hard earned cash on negative thoughts like this above which you can't change. Accept your a robot in this capitalist system and please stop your moaning about "your taxes"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

zerks wrote: »

No savings to dip into/borrow from family/friends??

Of course not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

why is it that the only way the govt in this country can achieve anything is to hold the threat of revenue, court or removal of benefits from people?
    it'sd a very shortsighted way to govern and one that only causes resentment and in the long run, hardship for genuine people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

He lasted 2 days before telling me he was better off on the dole. I doubt him loading up a job CV will help much

This is the real issue, no one that's unemployed should be better off than someone working full time.

duckcfc wrote: »
    I love seeing posts like this lol. Listen, I'm going to let you in on a wee secret you might not know so please keep it quiet because its clear many don't know this.

Right, your hard earned taxes are going to get squandered for the rest if your life. Its just the way the system is set up and only a fool thinks otherwise. Every working man/women in this country is getting raped left right and centre from the government and it ain't ever going to change in your lifetime. Another wee tip, you spend money on food to create energy so please stop wasting your hard earned cash on negative thoughts like this above which you can't change. Accept your a robot in this capitalist system and please stop your moaning about "your taxes"

It's glaringly obvious that taxes get squandered and everyone knows it. With the case of FAS, it's an agency that just keeps failing over and over. It's never been run properly and it's not fit for purpose. To just accept it is wrong. It's supposed to provide education and support and it does both of those things very badly. An employer wouldn't even look at a FAS qualification and that says a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭teddy_303

all the stalkers and credit card fraudsters the length of the country, rubbing their hands in glee.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The idea I think is a good one but how it is implemented is another question.

Regarding not being able to do CV's is someone is computer illiterate, send them on a computer literacy course, FAS run plenty of these anyway, when I was previously unemployed I got sent on a 1 week jobs club, which was basically create a CV and interview tips, wasn't really useful for anyone who had gone through a degree or that but there were many there who made their first ever CV, so was useful, just not to me.

Regarding details being posted online, no personal details need to be posted, name, DOB, full address can all be kept hidden, have a contact form which sends message to your personal email, so email doesn't have to be shown either, simples.

I do understand there are a lot of jobs which are a case of a sign up in a window but that still doesn't mean people shouldn't have their CV posted online, and if implemented right employers are more likely to use it.

The real issue is with people who don't want to do a hard days work and are unwillling to upskill. And if it can be really shown that someone unwilling to do either of these I see no reason their welfare payment shouldn't be restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

This is the real issue, no one that's working full time should be worse off than someone unemployed.

Fixed your post. All full time employees SHOULD be better off than on the dole, unfortunately this is not always the case.
    But sure fcuk it just cut the dole don't worry about the people on minimum wage

This is the real issue, no one that's unemployed should be better off than someone working full time.
    The real issue with what? In general, the unemployed are not better off than people working full time - should go without saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

teddy_303 wrote: »
    all the stalkers and credit card fraudsters the length of the country, rubbing their hands in glee.....

Only if the system is stupidly designed.
    Hundreds of millions of CVs are online without any problem.

That being said, all of my jobs were landed by networking and speculative application.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    The idea I think is a good one but how it is implemented is another question.

It's not really. What are they going to do? Make it compulsory for an employer use their service before others? Companies want staff to make an effort and apply for a job. Not go searching through a government database full of people who've been forced to upload their cvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭teddy_303

and what are the odds it will be well thought out?

cruizer101 wrote: »
    The real issue is with people who don't want to do a hard days work and are unwillling to upskill. And if it can be really shown that someone unwilling to do either of these I see no reason their welfare payment shouldn't be restricted.
    Again, the real issue with what?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And once FÁS have the ould CV online you'll be getting spammed by jobsbridge, f**k that. Moany Joan has already made her neo liberal approach to work clear.

I spose you could hand them up a dummy CV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I know when I post my CV up online I have 50-60 companies a day ringing me begging me to work for them.
    This is obviously a clever move that will reduce unemployment and not just a crap PR exercise to make it look like Joan Burton is actually doing something

Advertisement