Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish man facing 50 years in Thai prison for 1kg Cannabis Sale to Police

Options

Comments

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    or maybe the problem is with our approach to dealing with this issue!

We need to adopt similar laws here. Instead we have scumbags getting short sentences because our judges are terrible.

Can you imagine if similar crimes carried 50 year sentences here? Would make people think twice about getting involved in drug gangs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

We need to adopt similar laws here. Instead we have scumbags getting short sentences because our judges are terrible.

Can you imagine if similar crimes carried 50 year sentences here? Would make people think twice about getting involved in drug gangs.
    Not saying the current setup is great or anything, but automatic long sentences more likely would just make things considerably worse.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Their country, their rules. No sympathy from me. Whether you think it should be legal or not doesn't come into it.

Whether you have sympathy or not is up to you.

This reasoning though is stupid. Woman in Sudan not long ago got sentenced to death for wanting to change religion - still their country their rules? Hitler wanting to get rid of the Jews, didn't break German law - still their country, their rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Pedro K wrote: »
    I agree 50 years is crazy talk, but you were advocating possible use of lethal force against residents in carrickmines. You have no credibility.
    i have full credibility.
    What the law should be is irrelevant. Mr Duggan is a fool who has caused his family unbearable pain and suffering so that he could enjoy himself. They have my sympathies but I'm afraid I don't buy the sob stories as far as he is concerned.

Certainly the is scope for a serious debate around legalization but that doesn't afford carte blanche for anyone to break the current laws. It's not like he bought the stuff off some charity to sell on and donate the profits to helping the needy!

Just another greedy idiot lining his own pockets and the pockets of criminal gangs in Asia. Personally I'd prefer to see legalisation, but until then there is no excuse for involving yourself with criminals in coutries with harsh legislation to deal with the crime in question.

what the law should be is relevant. it does afford carte blanche to break the current drug laws. no sob stories exist in his case, if he says he was set up then he was until proven otherwise. not greedy at all, everyone wants to make money. plenty of excuses to end up in such situations, including threats to family and being set up

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

We need to adopt similar laws here.

we don't. they don't work. prohibition has failed. move on.
    Instead we have scumbags getting short sentences because our judges are terrible.

no, they get the sentences they do because most people have realized that we can't jail our way out of this problem.

bollox. the evidence doesn't back that up. so no i can't imagine it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,202 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i have full credibility.

what the law should be is relevant. it does afford carte blanche to break the current drug laws. no sob stories exist in his case, if he says he was set up then he was until proven otherwise. not greedy at all, everyone wants to make money. plenty of excuses to end up in such situations, including threats to family and being set up

where has he said he was setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    or maybe the problem is with our approach to dealing with this issue!

Our approach? What did we do?
    Amirani wrote: »

This reasoning though is stupid. Woman in Sudan not long ago got sentenced to death for wanting to change religion - still their country their rules? Hitler wanting to get rid of the Jews, didn't break German law - still their country, their rules?

Yes to all, it is still their country and their rules. You may not like those rules, but that just means that as a jew you would be an idiot to travel to Nazi Germany, or as a woman in Sudan you would be very foolish to publically change religion.

Disagree with the rules sure, try to change the rules yes, but don't break the rules and then expect anything but the well known consequences.

Yes to all, it is still their country and their rules. You may not like those rules, but that just means that as a jew you would be an idiot to travel to Nazi Germany, or as a woman in Sudan you would be very foolish to publically change religion.

Disagree with the rules sure, try to change the rules yes, but don't break the rules and then expect anything but the well known consequences.

And if you're a Jew already living in Nazi Germany then you're fair game?

The world would be a hellhole if everyone followed your line of thinking. No Nelson Mandela, no Gandhi, no Rosa Parks, no Martin Luther King. No civil rights movement, no suffragette movement, no independence movements.

You've either not thought this through, or you're a bit crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fmj123

just goes to show no matter what the deterrent there will always be people to take the risk.

what has this got do to do with this gob****e in thailand selling drugs?

• Advertisement

And if you're a Jew already living in Nazi Germany then you're fair game?

The world would be a hellhole if everyone followed your line of thinking. No Nelson Mandela, no Gandhi, no Rosa Parks, no Martin Luther King. No civil rights movement, no suffragette movement, no independence movements.

You've either not thought this through, or you're a bit crazy.

Are you really trying to equate a moron travelling to a country like Thailand to sell drugs with social changers like Rosa Parks or MLK?

Please do explain how this drug dealer getting caught is in anyway comparable, because you sound a bit crazy?

And the relevant example is not a jew already living in nazi Germany, but a jew specifically moving to Nazi Germany. See if you can figure out the reason why one is relevant to this story while the other isn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

The "poor lad" should have thought about how awful it would be for him and his family before he started selling drugs in Thailand.

We all know he was a fool but for you to try and sound like a hard man by saying "he should have known better" or something equally glib like "hey, can't do the time, don't do the crime" doesn't add any value to the discussion about the severity of the punishment he faces.

Yeah, he was caught trying to flog weed. Stupid and deserves some kind of punishment though I can't think of what since I think selling weed is a bullsh1t "crime". If the punishment for hitting your little sister was to be stripped and birched in a public square until your skin broke and your 10 year old son faced that ordeal would you be so blase about it? Would you say "should have thought about it before you clattered your sibling"?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hes human ,we re human and blah blah blah.......

moving on!

Are you really trying to equate a moron travelling to a country like Thailand to sell drugs with social changers like Rosa Parks or MLK?

He is an anti-establishment hero fighting against THE MAN and the tyranny of his unjust laws. Or that is what some here would have you believe.

Hopefully he gets the full sentence. Shouldn't be braking the law

You "hope" this guy gets incarcerated for 50 years.
    Would that be the same as you "hoping" it's sunny tomorrow?

Would it make you authentically happy if he was imprisoned for 50 years?
    How would you benefit and how would you celebrate this good fortune of yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Yeah, he was caught trying to flog weed. Stupid and deserves some kind of punishment though I can't think of what since I think selling weed is a bullsh1t "crime". If the punishment for hitting your little sister was to be stripped and birched in a public square until your skin broke and your 10 year old son faced that ordeal would you be so blase about it? Would you say "should have thought about it before you clattered your sibling"?

Well, if that was the punishment in another country and you traveled there knowing that they punishment was so severe and you did it anyway for no reason other than personal gain then yeah, you should have thought about it.

If this happened in Ireland and this guy was facing this sentence then I would be joining in with people saying how outrageous it is. But he's in Thailand.

I'm of the Hunter S Thompson school of thought on it all, legalize everything and we'll probably lose a generation but after that things will even out so I'm pretty liberal on the subject but I live in Asia. I respect the fact that I'm in another country and have to abide by their laws. Does anybody deserve 50 years for selling drugs? Absolutely not. But at the end of the day, he broke the law in another country and he will have to pay the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think it's possible to think that the law is spectacularly harsh and also think that the guy is an idiot for doing what he did (especially seeing as how you'd have to assume he knew the law is so spectacularly harsh).

Took the words right out of my mouth. Boring Username would be screaming to the heavens about the Taliban in Afghanistan and how they outlawed music, kite-flying, school for females, sport, etc. But they were in power. Still their country, their rules.

And what if you were one of the millions of Jews already living in Nazi Germany when the stupid law came into effect? Just become a non-Jew? Just leave the country?

And what if you were one of the millions of Jews already living in Nazi Germany when the stupid law came into effect? Just become a non-Jew? Just leave the country?

how is this in any way comparable to the guy in thailand? If thailand decided to outlaw irish people then it would be comparable. But they havent so give it a rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Took the words right out of my mouth. Boring Username would be screaming to the heavens about the Taliban in Afghanistan and how they outlawed music, kite-flying, school for females, sport, etc. But they were in power. Still their country, their rules.

Those issues are slightly different than some foreigner selling weed.

I would totally support him if it came out that he was a long standing activist who was supplying the weed to elderly people/cancer patients etc. Or to those suffering from anxiety disorders(like me! Smoking weed basically cured a long standing anxiety condition for me). Or if he was using that weed for good and very little personal profit but I don't think that is very likely.

It's more likely that he is doing it for personal gain and has nothing to do with a 'cause'.

how is this in any way comparable to the guy in thailand? If thailand decided to outlaw irish people then it would be comparable. But they havent so give it a rest.

Because the argument - "their country, their rules" is completely illogical.

You can demonise this guy and agree with his sentencing - perhaps it is correct and sensible, I haven't argued otherwise. But agreeing purely because "their country, their rules" is stupid. The Nazis followed German rules, did that make what they did okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The punishment is a bit harsh but the man only has himself to blame in the end. He made a foolish decision but it was his decision, his alone, and he must accept the consequences.

The law is the law, if you break it you pay the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,180 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The Nazis followed German rules, did that make what they did okay?

Pretty sure they made German rules, and didn't just follow them.

But carry on...

Because the argument - "their country, their rules" is completely illogical.

You can demonise this guy and agree with his sentencing - perhaps it is correct and sensible, I haven't argued otherwise. But agreeing purely because "their country, their rules" is stupid. The Nazis followed German rules, did that make what they did okay?

you're obsessed with the germans. thailand is not nazi germany. While not all of their laws sound reasonable to farang that does not mean you can bitch and moan when you fall foul of them. This guy went to thailand and knowingly broke their law. a law on the sale of drugs that is not completely out of whack with the rest of the world. end of story. Nobody forced him to go there. nobody forced him to become a drug dealer.

you're obsessed with the germans. thailand is not nazi germany. While not all of their laws sound reasonable to farang that does not mean you can bitch and moan when you fall foul of them. This guy went to thailand and knowingly broke their law. a law on the sale of drugs that is not completely out of whack with the rest of the world. end of story. Nobody forced him to go there. nobody forced him to become a drug dealer.

I'm not disagreeing with that.

I'm not disagreeing with that.

No, you're just bleating on about the Nazi's as if it has any relevance to this case whatsoever.

Those issues are slightly different than some foreigner selling weed.

I would totally support him if it came out that he was a long standing activist who was supplying the weed to elderly people/cancer patients etc. Or to those suffering from anxiety disorders(like me! Smoking weed basically cured a long standing anxiety condition for me). Or if he was using that weed for good and very little personal profit but I don't think that is very likely.

It's more likely that he is doing it for personal gain and has nothing to do with a 'cause'.
    so your problem is because he makes money from selling a product people want. what a crock of ****. you either condone him selling weed or you don't. its as simple as that. his reasons are irrelevant. the publican sells alcohol for proffit. only difference is its legal. you don't have a problem with that do you? its still a drug, it can be dangerous if not taken in moderation, those selling it proffit from it.

The punishment is a bit harsh but the man only has himself to blame in the end. He made a foolish decision but it was his decision, his alone, and he must accept the consequences.

The law is the law, if you break it you pay the price.
    it may not have been his decisian. he could have been threatened. the law isn't the law unless the law is just.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

No way the Irish guy could be talking to the American like that though if it had been the American under cover. The article said he sold to a Thai I thought.

It could be a similar scenario to the American guy in Midnight Express who was watching the convicted guy, the American cop working for the Turkish Consulate/American Consulate who found him after he ran away through the streets. The Thai authorities just want someone who can communicate the English language to the offender.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement