Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish man facing 50 years in Thai prison for 1kg Cannabis Sale to Police

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

MJI wrote: »
    I think cannabis should be 100% legal. Nobody should be jailed for, growing, selling, possessing or using. Anyone who is currently incarcerated for anything related to it should released.

So if one guy shot another fella to settle a drug debt he owed then he should be released? Or if a dealer shot one of his people because the stuff they were holding was seized by Gardaí then he should be released? I think your idea is stupid. Sure, if someone is in jail for possession (pretty much nobody is at any given time) then release them into some program like in Portugal but dealers are all scum. Let them rot in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I feel sorry for the lad as it's not a joyride in their prisons, even though I assume there is a foreigner's wing in the prison.
    But tbh he knew the risks and still went ahead...

All that said, if they'd only legalise cannabis they'd get more tourists and more income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

So if one guy shot another fella to settle a drug debt he owed then he should be released? Or if a dealer shot one of his people because the stuff they were holding was seized by Gardaí then he should be released? I think your idea is stupid. Sure, if someone is in jail for possession (pretty much nobody is at any given time) then release them into some program like in Portugal but dealers are all scum. Let them rot in prison.

Ridiculous reply. If someone shot a person they'll go to jail for having shot a person.

This is the kind of thing I presume the poster meant - http://news.streetroots.org/2015/03/28/coming-clean-oregon-considers-expunging-past-marijuana-convictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Ridiculous reply. If someone shot a person they'll go to jail for having shot a person.

This is the kind of thing I presume the poster meant - http://news.streetroots.org/2015/03/28/coming-clean-oregon-considers-expunging-past-marijuana-convictions

He said anything related to growing, selling, possessing or using. He should have thought his comment through a bit more.

He said anything related to growing, selling, possessing or using. He should have thought his comment through a bit more.

It's obvious what he meant in fairness, and I mean how can anyone use or possess anyway, if someone hasn't first grown it and/or given it to them?

Violent gangland style activity would be a separate matter if the laws were changed and no one anywhere, ever, has suggested decriminalising anything like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have zero tolerance for idiots. Tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You need to be a right cretin to go and sell drugs in one of these Asian countries, for gods sake these places are notorious for being extremely harsh on drug offences and yet idiots like this still think they will give it a go, the stupidity beggars belief.

I've no sympathy for him at all, just another moron who knowingly stuck his head into a lions mouth. He can rot there for all I care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

McDermotX wrote: »
    Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.

Here endeth the lesson.

Thanks for the cliche.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Thanks for the cliche.

His comment was useful. Yours was the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

osarusan wrote: »
    Even if we accept that these headlines actually mean smugglers being caught is rare (which I don't see any reason to accept), that might just as easily mean that most smugglers go undetected as it might mean that they are being deterred from attempting to smuggle drugs.

Well no, smugglers being caught probably isn't rare, but tourists receiving harsh sentences for drug smuggling appears to be rare, which is why I suggested that these harsh sentences act as a deterrent to any tourist who might think of smuggling drugs in Thailand. I'm sure they're more than aware of the possible consequences.

Of course it could mean too that many tourists smuggle drugs undetected, but if they're willing to risk that opportunity, then it's only appropriate IMO that they be sentenced in accordance with Thai laws on drug smuggling.

What I've always found perplexing though, is that the will is there to enforce harsh sentences upon tourists for drug smuggling offences, yet the same will to impose harsh sentences upon tourists engaging in the child sex trade in Thailand just doesn't seem to be there. I think if the same deterrent was there for child sex offences as there is for drug smuggling, Thailand would experience a significant drop in it's tourism industry.

• Advertisement

I feel even less sympathy for him than the ones on Banged Up Abroad who usually just get sucked up in a whirlwind of bad decisions..

This plonker.. What they hell was he at selling to Thai people? Sell to foreigners at least to minimise the risk. Proper retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Drug dealer breaks law, faces prison. Non story.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

at least the Thai authorities valuation of the pot is the same as what he had planned to sell it for,

if it were Ireland, the value for the kilo would probably be €1,350,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I feel even less sympathy for him than the ones on Banged Up Abroad who usually just get sucked up in a whirlwind of bad decisions..

This plonker.. What they hell was he at selling to Thai people? Sell to foreigners at least to minimise the risk. Proper retarded.

From this video it looks like an American he is talking to,so quite possibly he was selling to the American who was working for the Thai cops,there is a lot of foreigners working for the Thai police for 'stings' like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,276 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

biko wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the lad as it's not a joyride in their prisons, even though I assume there is a foreigner's wing in the prison.
    But tbh he knew the risks and still went ahead...

All that said, if they'd only legalise cannabis they'd get more tourists and more income.

not unless he has a lot of money to bribe the prison guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

at least the Thai authorities valuation of the pot is the same as what he had planned to sell it for,

if it were Ireland, the value for the kilo would probably be €1,350,000

Sergeant Gerry Boyle: ' You lads always announce seizure of drugs worth a street value at $10 million or $20 million or half a billion dollars. I wonder what street it is you're buying your cocaine on, because it's not the same street as I'm buying my cocaine on.'

They actually seem to work quite well as a deterrent to most people who would want to transport drugs, which is why rare cases like this one where a person is caught, make international headlines.

Perhaps if we introduced harsher sentences for crimes in this country, we wouldn't have the revolving door justice system we have now where we have young offenders with 20 odd convictions before their 18th birthday.

If these sentences work so well then how come drugs are so readily available in Thailand? What is the purpose of the sentence exactly? Is it supposed to have any impact on the availability of drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Do people about the subject in question before commenting on it here?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly do. Do you?

He bought and sold a kilo of cannabis in Thailand, so he didn't really transport anything (presuming you mean 'traffic').

Had you read what I wrote, you wouldn't have to presume anything. He actually did transport something, a kilo of cannabis, and he was caught trying to sell it. I would have said traffic if I thought he was trying to get it out of the country like those two Irish idiots abroad that got caught trying to smuggle drugs out of Peru in spite of knowing the possible consequences then too.

It's not particularly rare at all and the only reason he's in the headlines is he's 23 and Irish, instead of a thai local.

It's particularly rare for tourists to be caught smuggling drugs in countries like Thailand as most people are aware of the penalties if they are caught. It wouldn't matter if he was 46 and British (I think there was a case recently of a middle-aged British man in the news having been caught for smuggling in Thailand), and the reason he made the headlines is because his relatives or someone else wanted to highlight his case in the media to appeal to the Thai authorities for leniency.

Perhaps if he dons a bra in prison, Colin Firth might come to his rescue* :D

*Bridget Jones reference :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I have zero tolerance for idiots. Tough.
    must be hard living in Ireland then!

That's really reaching the levels of the absurd. Don't be ridiculous. Of course he's not advocating the pardoning of killers just because the murder was drug-related. He's not saying that.

Alcohol is legal. It's legal to buy it, sell it, drink it, make it, transport it, etc. and so it should be but nobody's saying that if you strangle your girlfriend because she drank your last beer or if you get plastered and then shoot up a pub because they refused to serve you then you should not be charged because it's booze related.

• Advertisement

Perhaps you should have asked him to qualify his comment before launching into the theatre of the absurd with your response.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    His comment was useful. Yours was the opposite.

Really? Useful you say?

Throwaway slogans and cliches are useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

No, you should have thought his comment through a bit more.

From this video it looks like an American he is talking to,so quite possibly he was selling to the American who was working for the Thai cops,there is a lot of foreigners working for the Thai police for 'stings' like this.

I'm not saying you're wrong.. But that's pretty mad if true. Never heard of anything like that in Vietnam. How could they land themselves in that job? And why would foreigners be getting involved with relatively small busts?

In the video, I'm not so sure that American guy is a cop.. Translator for camera perhaps who got a bit carried away with the conversation? I can't imagine he'd have much of a social life in Chang Mai if people knew he was busting other foreigners. I certainly wouldn't want to deal with anyone who had that much power.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm not saying you're wrong.. But that's pretty mad if true. Never heard of anything like that in Vietnam. How could they land themselves in that job? And why would foreigners be getting involved with relatively small busts?

In the video, I'm not so sure that American guy is a cop.. Translator for camera perhaps who got a bit carried away with the conversation? I can't imagine he'd have much of a social life in Chang Mai if people knew he was busting other foreigners. I certainly wouldn't want to deal with anyone who had that much power.

Maybe the American is himself absolving his own 'lesser' crimes by doing some 'dirty' work for the Thai's?

Maybe the American is himself absolving his own 'lesser' crimes by doing some 'dirty' work for the Thai's?

No way the Irish guy could be talking to the American like that though if it had been the American under cover. The article said he sold to a Thai I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,276 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he's not a cop.Dont think i've ever seen a farang thai cop. the tourist police dont count. like somebody else said he is doing stings for the thai police probably in return for getting better treatment for himself. and i wouldnt classify a kg of cannabis as a small bust.

It's particularly rare for tourists to be caught smuggling drugs in countries like Thailand as most people are aware of the penalties if they are caught.

For the last time, he wasn't smuggling.

The media is reporting he bought it in Thailand via LINE and then was also selling it on via LINE in Thailand.

No "transporting" or "smuggling" and yet again - not that rare in Thailand at all, but usually it would be locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Silly boy. that's going to cost a lot to get out of that one,that's even if he can.he can always write a book about his life in a Thai jail.

• Advertisement

Jesus, what a circus.

This isn't the Peru pair with their £1.5million's worth of cocaine, this is 35 ounces of brick weed worth 5 grand.. !

Nightmare

Advertisement