Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish man facing 50 years in Thai prison for 1kg Cannabis Sale to Police

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I'm not saying you're wrong.. But that's pretty mad if true. Never heard of anything like that in Vietnam. How could they land themselves in that job? And why would foreigners be getting involved with relatively small busts?

In the video, I'm not so sure that American guy is a cop.. Translator for camera perhaps who got a bit carried away with the conversation? I can't imagine he'd have much of a social life in Chang Mai if people knew he was busting other foreigners. I certainly wouldn't want to deal with anyone who had that much power.

I wouldn't call them cops as someone else said just foreigners working for the police to do stings like this,it happens a lot in Thailand especially in Pattaya/Bangkok to raid bars that sell sex,a foreigners goes into a bar with marked notes and pays the cashier then 10 minutes later the cops come in and go through the till to find the marked notes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

this is 35 ounces of brick weed worth 5 grand.. !

I revise my previous estimate then, in Ireland it's gotta be worth €10,460,000

• Registered Users Posts: 40,276 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Anybody got a link to the article on the irish time website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Their country, their rules. No sympathy from me. Whether you think it should be legal or not doesn't come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'd say they've discouraged this particular individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mother of divine god , are we still dealing with these stupid drug laws! come on humans, its time to legalise everything and get on with it already. best of luck to the chap. his future looks bleak

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

He's involved in an illegal trade that ruins the lives and families of tens of thousands worldwide annually. If he's dealing weed what's to say he's not dealing all sorts of bad ****

Not like it's mistaken identity or that he didn't realise what he was doing.

The only travesty here is if he can pay his way free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I'm not saying you're wrong.. But that's pretty mad if true. Never heard of anything like that in Vietnam. How could they land themselves in that job? And why would foreigners be getting involved with relatively small busts?

In the video, I'm not so sure that American guy is a cop.. Translator for camera perhaps who got a bit carried away with the conversation? I can't imagine he'd have much of a social life in Chang Mai if people knew he was busting other foreigners. I certainly wouldn't want to deal with anyone who had that much power.

The American is probably tourist police,kinda a volunteer thing,they might have brought him in as a translator.

Eh. He knew the risks. He got caught. It's pretty much a non-story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Well no, smugglers being caught probably isn't rare, but tourists receiving harsh sentences for drug smuggling appears to be rare, which is why I suggested that these harsh sentences act as a deterrent to any tourist who might think of smuggling drugs in Thailand. I'm sure they're more than aware of the possible consequences.

Of course it could mean too that many tourists smuggle drugs undetected, but if they're willing to risk that opportunity, then it's only appropriate IMO that they be sentenced in accordance with Thai laws on drug smuggling.

What I've always found perplexing though, is that the will is there to enforce harsh sentences upon tourists for drug smuggling offences, yet the same will to impose harsh sentences upon tourists engaging in the child sex trade in Thailand just doesn't seem to be there. I think if the same deterrent was there for child sex offences as there is for drug smuggling, Thailand would experience a significant drop in it's tourism industry.

Call me a cynic but I don't think these harsh sentences have anything to do with protecting Thailand from the evils of bit of weed or a few grams of coke. The country is a sewer of corruption. Cops are all on the payroll. The harsh sentences serve as a smokescreen to show the world that Thailand is tough on drugs, meanwhile the big players operate with impunity cloaked with government and police protection. It also serves to warn off smaller time dealers and smugglers that the whole industry is sewn up by a privileged few on the inside and that it's not worth their while trying to enter the market. They should stick to ferrying ecstasy from Amsterdam to Ibiza and Ayia Napa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

The man broke the laws of another jurisdiction and will be punished accordingly. I don't get these people that get up on their high horses about the Irish flouting the law while abroad. The "Peru two" spring to mind, as does Ibrahim Halawah.

The problem is that what constitutes the law, crime and punishment differs widely.
    For example, come countries laws allow for the flogging or stoning women as adulterers if they have been raped. This is hardly being 'punished accordingly'.

I think that sympathising with someone who finds themselves at the mercy of corrupt and barbaric legal and prison systems (albeit through their own stupidity) is hardly getting up on a 'high horse'.
    It must be awful for him and his family especially. Poor lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

LorMal wrote: »
    The problem is that what constitutes the law, crime and punishment differs widely.
    For example, come countries laws allow for the flogging or stoning women as adulterers if they have been raped. This is hardly being 'punished accordingly'.

I think that sympathising with someone who finds themselves at the mercy of corrupt and barbaric legal and prison systems (albeit through their own stupidity) is hardly getting up on a 'high horse'.
    It must be awful for him and his family especially. Poor lad.

The "poor lad" should have thought about how awful it would be for him and his family before he started selling drugs in Thailand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Orizio wrote: »
    Irish person in massive geography fail shocker.

Are Irish people renowned for being poor at geography? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Hopefully he gets the full sentence. Shouldn't be braking the law

oh god, we really do have a long way to go as a species!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

Well now, wouldnt that be nice, live the life on sunny thai beaches. All you have to do is sell a kilo every now and then.
    No doubt he had fun with the local girls too with the proceeds.
    Sounds like a plan alright.

Then reality pops by for a chat.

he needs to put a stop to his criminal activities.

or maybe the problem is with our approach to dealing with this issue!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    or maybe the problem is with our approach to dealing with this issue!

wooooosh

• Advertisement

still not seeing it then eh?

get to the punch line! finding it hard to keep up with the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

simple market forces,
    people want to buy he sold,
    50 years way over the top,
    but thats these extremists for you,
    deluded as deluded can be.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

get to the punch line! finding it hard to keep up with the thread

clear now?

clear now?

please refer to link in post 82. thank you.

....and round and round we go!

please refer to link in post 82. thank you.

....and round and round we go!

sweet sufferin' jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

simple market forces,
    people want to buy he sold,
    50 years way over the top,
    but thats these extremists for you,
    deluded as deluded can be.

I agree 50 years is crazy talk, but you were advocating possible use of lethal force against residents in carrickmines. You have no credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

What the law should be is irrelevant. Mr Duggan is a fool who has caused his family unbearable pain and suffering so that he could enjoy himself. They have my sympathies but I'm afraid I don't buy the sob stories as far as he is concerned.

Certainly the is scope for a serious debate around legalization but that doesn't afford carte blanche for anyone to break the current laws. It's not like he bought the stuff off some charity to sell on and donate the profits to helping the needy!

Just another greedy idiot lining his own pockets and the pockets of criminal gangs in Asia. Personally I'd prefer to see legalisation, but until then there is no excuse for involving yourself with criminals in coutries with harsh legislation to deal with the crime in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jonti

He's lucky it was Thailand he was caught, some other countries execute drug criminals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

very heavy price to pay at that age

Advertisement