Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish man facing 50 years in Thai prison for 1kg Cannabis Sale to Police

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

VinLieger wrote: »
    God your a hypocrit, you literally change your tune depending on the thread. Why does this man get let off? He broke the law but cus hes foreign or more specifically Irish the usual punishment doesnt apply?
    all he did was sell a plant that people wanted to buy. i have no problem with him being let off if it was to happen. not because he's irish, but because he hasn't done anything wrong.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,252 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

all he did was sell a plant that people wanted to buy. i have no problem with him being let off if it was to happen. not because he's irish, but because he hasn't done anything wrong.

I've just figured it out! You're a sovereign citizen, now it all makes sense! All those threads destroyed and finally I know why!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Would you feel the same about heroine?

What did the 'Ra think about people who sold "plants"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think a kilo is more than one plant, probably equal to four or five fully grown plants compressed into a packet.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Stinicker wrote: »
    If he can get his hands on around a million baht then he can surely bribe his way out by getting off on some technicality, the main thing is not to make the thais lose face and get embarrassed. If the lad or his family makes arrangements then it may be possible. Thailand is notoriously corrupt.

Thailand is not as corrupt as people imagine. I doubt people with this mindset have been there much. I have travelled all over the place and much of SE Asia as my wife is Thai.

If you are an idiot and you decide to sell drugs you will get whats coming to you, Thailand is a very safe country by and large with very few murders. Everyone has to have an ID card, and the police generally don't take nonsense, particularly from dumb farang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

i couldn't care a less.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Do people about the subject in question before commenting on it here?

He bought and sold a kilo of cannabis in Thailand, so he didn't really transport anything (presuming you mean 'traffic').

It's not particularly rare at all and the only reason he's in the headlines is he's 23 and Irish, instead of a thai local.

According to the article linked a page back, they called him on some app which I take it is similar to whatsapp, called "Link", and set him up. He wasn't walking around with it at random.

Dublin city streets..? :confused:

The app is Line (Japanese I believe) and it's quite popular (putting it lightly), check how many downloads on google play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I'm sure the local ambassadorial staff have visited him at least 20 times by now yes ? Have not looked yet but I'm sure his plight is all over the papers news and being mentioned in the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

To be honest if he got caught smoking a joint or buying (probably even selling) a few grams of it, this would be absolutely outrageous - and I do seem to recall a few people have got caught out like that in Thailand, Indonesia, etc before (the fact that some local businesses in tourist areas apparently openly sell recreational drugs makes it all very sketchy, hinting at a potential money making scheme.

But the lad got caught with a kilo. I'm not saying 50 years is the right thing, it is outrageous, but everyone knows the dangers of being caught with even enough for a few joints in these countries, and a kilo goes far and beyond a 'silly youthful backpacker mistake' scenario and into a whole different area (and I say that as someone who is very much pro legalisation). I think the video someone posted back had a police officer asking him about the 200,000 Bhat that he got it for (or was selling it at, saw it earlier and can't recall). That is €5,145.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hopefully they will keep the drug dealing scumbag in prison till he dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

foggy_lad wrote: »

an awful menace he is!

I'm assuming you have the same opinion for anyone that sells a bottle of beer in parts of the Middle East, just out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,252 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you have the same opinion for anyone that sells a bottle of beer in parts of the Middle East, just out of interest?

Why a bottle? If you want to equate the situation why not say a guy trying to sell a pallet of beer illegally?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Really, you should smell the weed, its gorgeous, flowering buds, its only a leafy type substance, nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Why a bottle? If you want to equate the situation why not say a guy trying to sell a pallet of beer illegally?

Well you didn't specify that you hoped he died in prison because of the amount he was selling, but just because he was selling at all.

Yea, 24 bottles it is then.

50 years or death, which is more appropriate and right you reckon?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

MJI wrote: »
    I think cannabis should be 100% legal. Nobody should be jailed for, growing, selling, possessing or using. Anyone who is currently incarcerated for anything related to it should released.

MJI eh ?

Mount Joy Incarcerated by any chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mynamejeff wrote: »
    MJI eh ?

Mount Joy Incarcerated by any chance ?

agree totally with mji, in fact all drugs should be legalised. globally failed policy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    agree totally with mji, in fact all drugs should be legalised. globally failed policy

seen much of the long term effects of crack or meth have you ?

or even coke ?

a bit of weed is one thing but all drugs ?

are you ready with your "but Portugal did it " comment ?

Portugal was already over run with drugs they just took pressure of the lazy justice system there by bot having them deal with it any more

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

If people were jailed for 50 years for being idiots most of us would be behind bars.

There are idiots, and there are people who smuggle drugs in Thailand, knowing the penalties. Let's not insult idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Depends...

Is it a pallet of Dutch Gold or a pallet of Pliny The Elder? :D

mynamejeff wrote: »

are you ready with your "but Portugal did it " comment ?

Portugal was already over run with drugs they just took pressure of the lazy justice system there by bot having them deal with it any more

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I was myself was once a foolish, naive 23 year old traveler in one of the most corrupt countries in the World, Thailand.

I met a very attractive Thai girl in a bar in down town Bangkok and she invited me back to her apartment for the night. I had probably the best sex of my young life and then she rolled a joint of Thai grass which we shared, then I drank some strange tasting tea and I woke up to find my wallet missing the cash it recently contained and said Thai girl nowhere to be seen.

I got dressed, wrote some obscenities in lipstick on her mirror and then walked out of her apartment and down the stairs towards the street. I was barely out of the apartment when four uniformed Thai police brushed passed me in the opposite direction and into the apartment I had just vacated.

It doesn't take much imagination to suggest what they might have found in that apartment. Perhaps a kilo? Perhaps more?

I had after all smoked the joint. I was a drug user. I was fair game for the corrupt cops to make some money.

Not saying the lad was set up in this way, but it doesn't take much to get a conviction for a kilo of grass in a country like Thailand.

There for the grace of whatever go I, and probably potentially a few other 'holier than thou' contributors to this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,768 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Except he has by Thai law and we all know from previous threads your all for obeying the law to the letter without question or is it only when it suits your arguments?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

katydid wrote: »
    There are idiots, and there are people who smuggle drugs in Thailand, knowing the penalties. Let's not insult idiots.
    He didnt smuggle drugs anywhere. Just accused of trying to sell some there.
    The whole parading him in front of the cameras is really disgusting IMO, poor guy. Thats what you happens going to these 3rd world inbred countries.

Only a while back 2 British kids were butchered on a beach and the woman was raped. And to save face then tortured 2 Burmese guys into confession, its on trial now. The Thais who did it probably long way away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Absolute idiot. It's common knowledge how strict Thailand is when it comes to illegal drugs.

Yeah bang on he was an idiot but 50 ****ing years for selling a drug that's legal & being decriminalized in a lot of Western countries is mental.

5 years tops maybe just to scare him straight. But 50 years? If I was him I'd rather die than spend 50 years in a jail in Thailand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Yeah bang on he was an idiot but 50 ****ing years for selling a drug that's legal & being decriminalized in a lot of Western countries is mental.

5 years tops maybe just to scare him straight. But 50 years? If I was him I'd rather than spend 50 years in a jail in Thailand.

He knew the score.

Tough ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,283 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nomis21 wrote: »
    I was myself was once a foolish, naive 23 year old traveler in one of the most corrupt countries in the World, Thailand.

I met a very attractive Thai girl in a bar in down town Bangkok and she invited me back to her apartment for the night. I had probably the best sex of my young life and then she rolled a joint of Thai grass which we shared, then I drank some strange tasting tea and I woke up to find my wallet missing the cash it recently contained and said Thai girl nowhere to be seen.

I got dressed, wrote some obscenities in lipstick on her mirror and then walked out of her apartment and down the stairs towards the street. I was barely out of the apartment when four uniformed Thai police brushed passed me in the opposite direction and into the apartment I had just vacated.

It doesn't take much imagination to suggest what they might have found in that apartment. Perhaps a kilo? Perhaps more?

I had after all smoked the joint. I was a drug user. I was fair game for the corrupt cops to make some money

Not saying the lad was set up in this way, but it doesn't take much to get a conviction for a kilo of grass in a country like Thailand.

There for the grace of whatever go I, and probably potentially a few other 'holier than thou' contributors to this thread...

This guy was advertising on a mobile app. Not quite the same as being setup

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

Nomis21 wrote: »

I had after all smoked the joint. I was a drug user. I was fair game for the corrupt cops to make some money.

The whole thing stinks of set up to me. They are the most corrupt police on earth. Its a ****ehole. Startling to see the amount of people here wishing death or life on the young lad, when they dont have the first ****ing clue what went on.

Pretty sure the Peru 2 actually did smuggle drugs and over 2 million worth, and yet they got all the sympathy going and are now home in time for Christmas with book deals waiting. All because they are women.

Advertisement