Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish man facing 50 years in Thai prison for 1kg Cannabis Sale to Police

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,280 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it may not have been his decisian. he could have been threatened. the law isn't the law unless the law is just.

perhaps you might say he was a "naive young lad", eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

We need to adopt similar laws here. Instead we have scumbags getting short sentences because our judges are terrible.

Can you imagine if similar crimes carried 50 year sentences here? Would make people think twice about getting involved in drug gangs.

So, to support an inmate for 50 years at, say, 40k per annum would cost €2 million. Take into account inflation over the course of those 50 years and we're probably up to anywhere from €5 to 10 million.

Factor in support and ancillary services if the person had a child or wife and the knock-on effect upon society and the Exchequer that that child/spouse would pose in the form of delinquency, petty criminality, etc.

All for trying to sell €5k worth of weed that grows on the side of the road.

I can tell you are not a very astute businessman or investor.

it may not have been his decisian. he could have been threatened. the law isn't the law unless the law is just.

You're opinion of drug dealers is in marked contrast to your opinion of drug users. very strange
    ah god. shur the poor little addict doesn't have the choice to take in the first place. only the addicts bring the misery on themselves. the people want, and the people supply. supply and demand, market forces

how is this in any way comparable to the guy in thailand? If thailand decided to outlaw irish people then it would be comparable. But they havent so give it a rest.

It's called context. Someone said "their country, their rules". Therefore stating that the law in another country is fine no matter what it sanctions. So someone countered with the fact that the Jews in Germany were legally persecuted and was that person as casual with his credo of "their country, their rules"?

Then we had to suffer the inane "well if you were a Jew and travelled to Nazi Germany then you should have known better, blah, blah, duh, ugga-bugga" bullshit.

It's called context. Someone said "their country, their rules". Therefore stating that the law in another country is fine no matter what it sanctions. So someone countered with the fact that the Jews in Germany were legally persecuted and was that person as casual with his credo of "their country, their rules"?

Then we had to suffer the inane "well if you were a Jew and travelled to Nazi Germany then you should have known better, blah, blah, duh, ugga-bugga" bullshit.

it was a pathetic attempt at argument in extremis and nothing more.

• Advertisement

you're obsessed with the germans. thailand is not nazi germany. While not all of their laws sound reasonable to farang that does not mean you can bitch and moan when you fall foul of them. This guy went to thailand and knowingly broke their law. a law on the sale of drugs that is not completely out of whack with the rest of the world. end of story. Nobody forced him to go there. nobody forced him to become a drug dealer.

This is painful to listen to.

This is painful to listen to.

I'm sure reasonable thought does that to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

So, to support an inmate for 50 years at, say, 40k per annum would cost €2 million. ..............

the bangkok hilton does a special deal − doubt it'll cost that much to keep him there
    Bang Kwang Central Prison is located on the Chao Phraya Prison in the north of the Thai capital, Bangkok.
    Most foreign prisoners are kept here among 7,000 other inmates - 10 per cent of whom are facing death. Up to 50 people can be kept in cells measuring 26ft by 16ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You're opinion of drug dealers is in marked contrast to your opinion of drug users. very strange

no its not.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

so your problem is because he makes money from selling a product people want. what a crock of ****. you either condone him selling weed or you don't. its as simple as that. his reasons are irrelevant. the publican sells alcohol for proffit. only difference is its legal. you don't have a problem with that do you? its still a drug, it can be dangerous if not taken in moderation, those selling it proffit from it.

No my point was that comparing the crime of selling drugs for personal profit is different from crimes like women driving cars or human rights issues.

People are making it out like he is standing up against 'the man' or something when it's very unlikely to be the situation.

People are making it out that he has done nothing wrong but that's simply not the case.

If a foreigner went to a country in the middle east and started selling booze knowing that it was illegal I wouldn't have sympathy for them.

I like to drink and i like to smoke weed but I don't have sympathy for anyone who knowingly sells/buys it in a country that is notorious for harsh drug sentences.

• Advertisement

no its not.

oh but it is. one group is deserving only of contempt. the other deserves a sympathetic ear for some reason. I think the game is up EOTR.

No my point was that comparing the crime of selling drugs for personal profit is different from crimes like women driving cars or human rights issues.

People are making it out like he is standing up against 'the man' or something when it's very unlikely to be the situation.

People are making it out that he has done nothing wrong but that's simply not the case.

If a foreigner went to a country in the middle east and started selling booze knowing that it was illegal I wouldn't have sympathy for them.

I like to drink and i like to smoke weed but I don't have sympathy for anyone who knowingly sells/buys it in a country that is notorious for harsh drug sentences.
    People are not making it out like he is standing up against 'the man' or something. he has done nothing wrong.
    oh but it is. one group is deserving only of contempt. the other deserves a sympathetic ear for some reason. I think the game is up EOTR.
    the game isn't up and never will be because i have said nothing of the sort nor suggested it ever. i have plenty of sympathy for anyone who becomes addicted to something. however blaming the seller for it all when its a 50 50 deal done on the basis of market forces (which some do) is complete nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

How stupid do you need to be to sell drugs in thailand .
    Its like going to saudia arabia to sell wine.
    This is a story because the sentence is so long.
    IF he was caught in australia selling 1 kilo of hash he might get 3 years in prison.
    Everyone knows the penaltys in thailand for selling drugs are very harsh.
    There,s alot easier ways to make money,even if you wanna break the law .

the game isn't up and never will be because i have said nothing of the sort nor suggested it ever. i have plenty of sympathy for anyone who becomes addicted to something. however blaming the seller for it all when its a 50 50 deal done on the basis of market forces (which some do) is complete nonsense

you have plenty of sympathy for drug addicts? so it wasnt you that posted this then? doesnt sound very sympathetic.
    ah god. shur the poor little addict doesn't have the choice to take in the first place. only the addicts bring the misery on themselves. the people want, and the people supply. supply and demand, market forces

riclad wrote: »
    How stupid do you need to be to sell drugs in thailand .
    Its like going to saudia arabia to sell wine.
    This is a story because the sentence is so long.
    IF he was caught in australia selling 1 kilo of hash he might get 3 years in prison.
    Everyone knows the penaltys in thailand for selling drugs are very harsh.
    There,s alot easier ways to make money,even if you wanna break the law .

there hasnt actually been any sentence yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dude went to Thailand which is well known for having very strict laws regarding this and who's cops are not above setting people up. Either he knew this and didn't care or he was to ignorant to read up on it doesn't matter he deserves what he gets as like it or not that's the law in Thailand

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

you have plenty of sympathy for drug addicts? so it wasnt you that posted this then? doesnt sound very sympathetic.

MOD
    Please do not bring discussion from another thread into this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I honestly don't understand how people can be like 'ah well fook him, if he gets 50 years he deserves it'. Everything else aside on a human level how can you not feel sympathy for a 23 year old who may have to spend 50 years in prison in a foreign country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

We all know he was a fool but for you to try and sound like a hard man by saying "he should have known better" or something equally glib like "hey, can't do the time, don't do the crime" doesn't add any value to the discussion about the severity of the punishment he faces.

Yeah, he was caught trying to flog weed. Stupid and deserves some kind of punishment though I can't think of what since I think selling weed is a bullsh1t "crime". If the punishment for hitting your little sister was to be stripped and birched in a public square until your skin broke and your 10 year old son faced that ordeal would you be so blase about it? Would you say "should have thought about it before you clattered your sibling"?

What are you scuttering on about? Hard man? Hitting my little sister? Birched??

Good customer of this lad before he hit Thailand, were you??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

I dont understand why people still go to that hellhole. The locals and police have a real attitude to foreigners, and the police force is probably one of the most corrupt in the World. I also wouldnt jump to the conclusion he done anything, they set foreigners up their all the time to try get their bribes. Look at the news ffs it happens time and again and will happen in the future. Look at the farce of the investigation into the murder and rape of the Two British holidaymakers last year.

Its highly possibly he was just looking to buy a joint or something. Even still its nothing on the levels of the Peru girls, and they are back now. I wonder will the Department of Foreign Affairs look into this, hard not to feel sorry for him in the video.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

I honestly don't understand how people can be like 'ah well fook him, if he gets 50 years he deserves it'. Everything else aside on a human level how can you not feel sympathy for a 23 year old who may have to spend 50 years in prison in a foreign country?
    Especially when he may not have done anything wrong at all, and at the very worst was selling weed.

Its a kip of a place and he was not wise to go there IMO, but **** have some humanity. Worse happens here on an hourly basis and nothing is done.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Dude went to Thailand which is well known for having very strict laws regarding this and who's cops are not above setting people up. Either he knew this and didn't care or he was to ignorant to read up on it doesn't matter he deserves what he gets as like it or not that's the law in Thailand
    he doesn't. deporting and banning from the country would be more then enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I dont understand why people still go to that hellhole. The locals and police have a real attitude to foreigners, and the police force is probably one of the most corrupt in the World. I also wouldnt jump to the conclusion he done anything, they set foreigners up their all the time to try get their bribes. Look at the news ffs it happens time and again and will happen in the future. Look at the farce of the investigation into the murder and rape of the Two British holidaymakers last year.

Its highly possibly he was just looking to buy a joint or something. Even still its nothing on the levels of the Peru girls, and they are back now. I wonder will the Department of Foreign Affairs look into this, hard not to feel sorry for him in the video.

Only booked my ticket to go back over today,the police are only itching to catch a foreigner with drugs to extort some "tea money", they weren't much better with the recent bombing in Bangkok they had the scene opened fairly quickly after it and a BBC reporter found a piece of shrapnel from the bomb itself,meanwhile the boys in brown were in all the touristy spots handing out flyers to foreigners thanking them for coming to Thailand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Everyone knows what happens to drug dealers in Thailand, he's lucky he's not getting a bullet.

Their country their rules, obey them and there will be not problem.

Everyone knows what happens to drug dealers in Thailand, he's lucky he's not getting a bullet.

Their country their rules, obey them and there will be not problem.
    their country their rules is an invalid statement. using it means one condones barbaric rules in terrorist states like saudi, where the same nonsense was used for that poor chap who brewed a bottle of wine. only laws which are fare, just and meet the ideals of a modern world should be obeyed. the rest should be shown contempt. even obeying rules in these countries will bring problems. simplistic drivel that has no basis in reality

their country their rules is an invalid statement. using it means one condones barbaric rules in terrorist states like saudi, where the same nonsense was used for that poor chap who brewed a bottle of wine. only laws which are fare, just and meet the ideals of a modern world should be obeyed. the rest should be shown contempt. even obeying rules in these countries will bring problems. simplistic drivel that has no basis in reality

Jesus Christ :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Carlo Ancelotti

50 years for selling a plant
    Jeesshh

50 years for selling a plant
    Jeesshh

He hasn't got anything yet, doubtful he will get anywhere near 50 years but he could receive a good stretch inside considering there was a kilo of it.

I read somewhere the trial could be next year or in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

he doesn't. deporting and banning from the country would be more then enough

God your a hypocrit, you literally change your tune depending on the thread. Why does this man get let off? He broke the law but cus hes foreign or more specifically Irish the usual punishment doesnt apply?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You wouldn't be alone in thinking that. Nevertheless, there's a great gap between thinking that that's what the law ought to be, and behaving as if that's what the law actually was. That's where the "stupid" bit comes in.

A somewhat large statement. A tad uncharitable to Rosa Parkes. Or Aurelia Browder if you want the legal precision. I'm sure we can think of others who acted in a manner as if the law was what it ought to be and showed up the stupidity of the law as it was. Complex thing, moral courage. In this case, we may not be talking about such.

Advertisement