Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish man facing 50 years in Thai prison for 1kg Cannabis Sale to Police

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

anto9 wrote: »
    Correct ,but why on earth would you need valium in Thailand ? I get a high every time i land at Bangkok Airport from abroad :)

People used to get them because they were so easily available and cheap,whether they used them for train,bus,plane journeys or just coming down off a drinking bender or as a sleep aid,diet pills made with ephedrine were also easily got otc.yeah there's a certain buzz when you arrive in Bangkok,then the airport doors open and it hits you...the heat and smell,....The smell is like a warm fart that’s just gone through an engine, all hot and diesely :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

If his sentence and treatment is worse than that of an equivalent Thai persons, then yes, that would be wrong and the FO should lobby for equal treatment. If not them I'm afraid it's horribly unfortunate for his family but it's all that can be expected and the FO (Foreign Office or whatever they are called) cant be expected to do to much.

My point it that it's not a victimless crime here and the whole silly boy, send him home dialogue doesn't do much for the Thai's caught in this whole seedy business.

This cliche about "victimless" crimes has to stop. Only people with vivid imaginations or those who find critical thinking too much of a chore invoke it. I don't want to hear about hypothetical turf wars and crap like that. If I grow a marijuana plant in my house, chop it down, dry it out, crunch it up, put it in a sandwich bag and sell it to a few bikers at the pub, they roll it up and smoke it up with their pints and fall about the place laughing, I have committed MULTIPLE crimes.
    Growing a controlled substance, selling a controlled substance, not declaring VAT or some such crap on my little transaction with the metal-heads, etc. Tell me who is the victim in that catalogue of criminality on my part?

The usual suspects will chime in with the deranged "Ah sure, if we all did that the country would be ruined!" or some kind of inane stock answer.

Yeah the number one rule you should have in Thailand is "no Drugs" if our prisons were like that and our laws were that strict I wouldn't say we'd have the same experimentation that goes on here. Drugs are unbelievably bad for people's mental health, whether they want to admit that fact or not. Anyone who thinks that drugs are harmless is immature, ill-informed, in denial or just plain foolish.

Banging someone up for 20 years in horrific conditions is a million times worse for their mental health than the few puffs of a joint that put them there would have been. There are 100's of 1000's of young men languishing in prisons in the US for the retarded crime of possessing a bit of cannabis. They have never hurt anyone, they have never caused harm, have just been railroaded into a fucking gulag. They are in PRISON, i.e. NOT FREE. They will never raise a family or swim in the ocean (well maybe they will when they're 50 and out on parole), or scrape up 5 grand and backpack across wherever. They have nothing to look forward to but the day they get out so that they have nothing to look back on but pain and regret. Now is that good for mental health while a bag of fucking skunk is so appallingly harmful?

The world is starting, slowly, to cop on to the failed drugs war
    Ironically, the US , who started this war back in the 70's, and insisted on a tougher worldwide stance, is now waking up to some legalisation approach in some states

Americans. Fuck up everything and then expect to be patted on the back for their "vision" when they reverse their dumb decisions.

why are people flying out to these kips in the first place

Because they are lovely places to visit and travel broadens your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

this chap could well be attached to a ball and chain in Thailand for some of his sentence

Oh snap! You burned me.

Sorry but trying to portray a country as superior because the police would summarily execute offenders doesn't strike me as particularly progressive. If you disagree, good for you.

What's your thought on the US then?

anto9 wrote: »
    Correct ,but why on earth would you need valium in Thailand ? I get a high every time i land at Bangkok Airport from abroad :)

Going back to Ireland on the other hand i could do with a rake of Valium ,especially returning in the Winter .

Can I come and visit Anto?

I love warm rain and noodles and strange beasties in the jungle and all that fascinating David Attenborough stuff.

I also reckon I could impress the locals with my footballing skills though they would probably destroy me in other disciplines like running, swimming, climbing, fighting.

Would LOVE to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

It is a fascinating place,I dunno life is just more interesting over there even just walking down to the shop is more interesting,but I'm always careful to have my wits about me at all times.I remember seeing the figure for foreigners in Thailand at anyone time and its alot of people moving around the country at once,most come back incident free.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

>>Would LOVE to go. <<..Save up and go then ,but beware it might change you .It did me ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

If Thailand is a kip It doesn't bode well for Ireland tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Thai gaols are kippish ,I will readily concede that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mcgimpo and fries

You've been there 11 times that sounds a bit dodgy. It is a very corrupt country full of soulless people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

You've been there 11 times that sounds a bit dodgy. It is a very corrupt country full of soulless people.

Thanks for registering to let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Who are you talking to?

What's dodgy about visiting a country 11 times? I'm going back there for my 3rd time this Christmas with my GF... we love the place. 99% of the people we met were nothing but genuine and lovely. The other 1% were just opportunistic.

That said, we never had to deal with the bad side of the law. I would NOT like to get in trouble over there. But there's an easy way to avoid that... don't act the cnut. Only experience we did have with cops was at a checkpoint on the road... he checked my licence and I was on my way about 30 seconds later (I was wearing a helmet)

-Edit- BTW, there is no way he'll serve 50 years in prison, even if he's sentenced to same. With the exception of people who have been executed (Last execution in Thailand was in 2009), the longest a foreign prisoner has served in Thailand is 17 years. My pen-pal, Peter Allan, is now on year 12... he may beat the record!

Advertisement