Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Rawr

pixelburp wrote: »
    In terms of failures, I'd say the likes of Apple, Facebook (yes, really) & YouTube gotta be top contenders: late to the game and too 'fringe' to be worth the plunge.

Quality is also an issue I fear. I've sampled some of the first "freebie" episodes for the odd YouTube Premium show and what I've seen so far is not all that good. Certainly not good enough to justify the price of a subscription.

A pity, since nearly every device these days can support a YouTube client. It could have been a good option if done right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Stark wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold my breath at this stage. I've heard lots of similar announcements regarding my favourite novels being adapted and none have materialised. "Hyperion", "Snow Crash", "Oryx and Crake" for example.

I would agree except that it's Amazon involved.Amazon and Netflix are in a huge "content War" at the moment. Amazon are spending phenomenal amounts of money buy up as much content as possible: Picard of course, I believe they have Feist's Riftwar novels and of courxe they spend 250 million for the rights of Lord of The Rings.

That's a quarter of a BILLION dollars before they even buy a notepad to sketch out a single line of dialogue!!!

They also know that Disney are starting their own and are in the process of stripping all their properties from Amazon and Netflix etc and have a HUGE pool of their own properties: Disney of course, Pixar, ABC TV studio in America, Star Wars, Marvel Studios. It goes on and on.

So Netflix and Amazon are buying as much as they can. Sci-Fi/Fantasy movies/TV shows are hot at the moment so it makes sense that that's what they are going for. They are all looking for the next Game of Thrones: "Adult" Sci-fi/Fantasy shows with huge viewerships and Social Impact (Did you ever see a man-bun before Thrones?) with wide spinoff potential.

[QUOTE=Rawr
    Quality is also an issue I fear. I've sampled some of the first "freebie" episodes for the odd YouTube Premium show and what I've seen so far is not all that good. Certainly not good enough to justify the price of a subscription.

A pity, since nearly every device these days can support a YouTube client. It could have been a good option if done right.[/QUOTE]

This also. You need to spend money to get your viewership. And people are not going to pay for Youtube or Facebook content. It's not even going to occur to anyone to PAY for Youtube. You PAY for Netflix or Amazon or whatever and get your shows made by studios or the service themselves but with high production values. You get big names you NEVER would have seen on TV before and you have no adverts or stuff down the side of the screen or comments sections. That's for Social Media.

So, for all that Youtube has that Karate Kid series on their premium channel, it's still a Social Media platform and not a studio platform.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Obviously off-topic, but... yup! :) I'm not even sure it's anywhere near even pre-production, but Bezos himself announced way back in Feb '18 that the 'channel' was adapting Consider Phlebas. There has been no news of it since either, so for now it's a bit vapourous...

https://twitter.com/JeffBezos/status/966312919079112705

I've mixed feelings. Love the culture novels, but I'd be worried tv can't do it justice.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Brian? wrote: »
    I've mixed feelings. Love the culture novels, but I'd be worried tv can't do it justice.

All things considered? I'd agree, mostly because The Culture is a Hedonistic-Anarchic Paradise; I can't imagine TV sensibilities could portray the depths to which that 'anything goes' attitude, without in turn commenting or criticising this Federation-on-Steroids.

All things considered? I'd agree, mostly because The Culture is a Hedonistic-Anarchic Paradise; I can't imagine TV sensibilities could portray the depths to which that 'anything goes' attitude, without in turn commenting or criticising this Federation-on-Steroids.

One of my favourite things about the Culture novels is the lack of exposition. Zero techno babble or explanation of how anything works, they just do.

Will people accept that on TV? I doubt it.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,306 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

One of my favourite things about the Culture novels is the lack of exposition. Zero techno babble or explanation of how anything works, they just do.

Will people accept that on TV? I doubt it.

We had that on Enterprise. It did not work it made the crew who are supposed to be very smart and the best of the best look simple.
    It's not Star Trek without some techno babble sure it can be over done like on Voyager but TNG and DS9 were good with it most of the time without overdoing it. TOS the same.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    We had that on Enterprise. It did not work it made the crew who are supposed to be very smart and the best of the best look simple.
    It's not Star Trek without some techno babble sure it can be over done like on Voyager but TNG and DS9 were good with it most of the time without overdoing it. TOS the same.

Scan it with a Tacyon beam!

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Scan it with a Tacyon beam!

But won't the tacyon pulse cause irreperable damage to the phase inverters?

FGR wrote: »
    But won't the tacyon pulse cause irreperable damage to the phase inverters?

Not if you bypass the EPS manifold and then channel the beam through the Deflector Dish!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd advocate for reversing the polarity of the neutron flow myself...

Rawr wrote: »
    Not if you bypass the EPS manifold and then channel the beam through the Deflector Dish!

But in order to do that you'll have to repolarise the plasma conduits manually, and you can only do that by climbing a ladder in a tiny tube.

they/them/theirs

But in order to do that you'll have to repolarise the plasma conduits manually, and you can only do that by climbing a ladder in a tiny tube.

But what if....what if!!!

(Runs over to schematic of the ship)
    We just LET those plasma conduits depolorise, causing a plasma-relay feedback loop around the ship...turning the Saucer Section into one huge Tacheon Emitter!!

Later:
    RemarkableUnfinishedFish-size_restricted.gif

Man, that was such a fantastic special effect. Star Trek III had its flaws, but by god it made the destruction of the Enterprise (the Enterprise!) feel impactful.

Something the reboot films undermined, even the underrated 'Beyond'; the Enterprise gets trashed in every one of those movies, yet it means nothing. In Trek III, it was a moment almost as painful for Kirk as the loss of his son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

plus, of course, you will have to divert auxiliary power to the multi-phasic pattern discriminator,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

at some point breaking the laws of physics...I mean bending them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

That's it - in general, compared to some other sci-fi, the "technobabble" in Star Trek flows rapidly and sounds somewhat plausible, even if analyzing it deeply it makes no sense.

That until Discovery - where not only it makes zero sense whatsoever, it's often idiotic (e.g. xenobiologist lecturing an engineer about how computers work...), it's delivered in such a stiff and quoted way they might as well put a "technobabble moment!" sing on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    That until Discovery - where not only it makes zero sense whatsoever, it's often idiotic (e.g. xenobiologist lecturing an engineer about how computers work...), it's delivered in such a stiff and quoted way they might as well put a "technobabble moment!" sing on it.

THAT'S THE POWER OF MATH, PEOPLE!!

xgdsbapdbbn2oehuaaqg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Rawr wrote: »
    RemarkableUnfinishedFish-size_restricted.gif

My god, Bones, what have I done?"
    "What you had to do, what you always do - turn death into a fighting chance to live."

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Man, that was such a fantastic special effect. Star Trek III had its flaws, but by god it made the destruction of the Enterprise (the Enterprise!) feel impactful.

Something the reboot films undermined, even the underrated 'Beyond'; the Enterprise gets trashed in every one of those movies, yet it means nothing. In Trek III, it was a moment almost as painful for Kirk as the loss of his son.

Or even as painful as him losing his friend and first officer Spock.
    Goodshape wrote: »
    THAT'S THE POWER OF MATH, PEOPLE!!

xgdsbapdbbn2oehuaaqg.png

Such a great sentence :rolleyes: not

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I'd advocate for reversing the polarity of the neutron flow myself...

My God, man! Are you NUTS? Do you know what negative 1.21 Jiggawatts on Neutron Flow would do to the trilithium matrix?. It would rip a hole in the space-time continuum 15 parsects wide!

Just teleport the whatsit to Voyager, wait a week and it will be reset!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

We need to jumpstart the reactor core!
    How?
    Well we *could* fire a phaser off the dylithium crystal thus triggering a reaction and get her going again
    Will it work?
    Worked last week

I’m crossing over there but I’m sure it’ll land for a few :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Has anyone ever read Redshirts by John Scalzi? All this talk of polarising the deflectors is making me think of "The Box". :D

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever read Redshirts by John Scalzi? All this talk of polarising the deflectors is making me think of "The Box". :D

Yeah, that was a fun idea of a book. Kinda lost steam as it went on but good idea.

For those interested:
    It's about a redshirt who begins to realise that he's a Redshirt on a show

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

https://twitter.com/AleSTrek/status/1170840029964447745/photo/1

Seems Michael Dorn has a hand in Picard. His signature has been spotted on a signed clapboard from the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I think he's playing Ben Sisko's Dad :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I think he's playing Ben Sisko's Dad :eek:

Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Where did you hear that?

Ah I'm just messing!
    Everyone is going to assume Worf, I just went for something different :D

Sorry :o

Ms

Maybe he is directing one of the episodes. Has Micheal Dorn done any directing before?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It wouldn't be a terrible idea to get the make-up based actors back in small roles without the makeup. Michael Dorn isn't going to do 3 hours in a make-up chair for the sake of 30 seconds of screen time, but it would still generate fan interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Dorn Directed four episodes of Star Trek.

If it was just a quick cameo they could probably use CG to replace the makeup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I just hope if that's the case that they do a better job with it than they did with Data's CGI :)

I just hope if that's the case that they do a better job with it than they did with Data's CGI :)
    Seeing what some people can do in their spare time with deepfakes and the like they have no excuse for it being that bad.

Ms

I just figured out why Picard leaves Starfleet. Its because of all the incompetent Admirals and because Janeway got promoted to Admiral before him lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I just figured out why Picard leaves Starfleet. Its because of all the incompetent Admirals and because Janeway got promoted to Admiral before him lol.

I thought they would have had to pry his arse out of the captains chair.

https://youtu.be/VrJiU9BOEBI?t=60

Calhoun wrote: »
    I thought they would have had to pry his arse out of the captains chair.

https://youtu.be/VrJiU9BOEBI?t=60

Well....that was mostly Kirk giving him some pointers.No guarantee that he'd follow that advice to the letter.

If anything, Picard has this knack of "Taking Command of the Fleet" whenever the need came up....which is a very Admiral-y thing to do. Seems to suit him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ms

Oh to watch or not to watch? That is the question we all shull ask ourselves now. A feck it I am going to watch it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Data’s Wig is shocking in that. Apart from that it looks amazing.

That's almost everything I wanted.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Well that was a fun trailer. A few things it I think most of us suspected and a few small bits we did not. The Romulan ship looks cool do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wow.. Looks great.

Not sure if we're worrying about spoilers, but.... SPOILERS

I'm guessing there's some sort of time travel element based on what looks like a TOS Romulan warbird?

What I assume is a hologram of the -D looked great too.

Overall a lot better than I was expecting and seems to be a lot more faithful to the original TNG source material and look than I thought it would be

Better and better the more we see :)
    Can’t wait.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm guessing there's some sort of time travel element based on what looks like a TOS Romulan warbird?
    Could just be an old ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm curious how they'll address the aging of Brent Spiner and how it will impact how Data looks.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm curious how they'll address the aging of Brent Spiner and how it will impact how Data looks.
    It's a dream/hallucination.

Ms

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Wow.. Looks great.

Not sure if we're worrying about spoilers, but.... SPOILERS

What I assume is a hologram of the -D looked great too.

Overall a lot better than I was expecting and seems to be a lot more faithful to the original TNG source material and look than I thought it would be

What I heard is the Romulans have gone back to making them and using them because they do not have the resources to make the newer Warbirds after the Supernova.

It looks like the badge from the future is now canon.

I also see we have a release date for it now its January the 23rd.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Hmmm, the warbird could be simply a sign of a depleted Romulan status. With their empire shattered, resources would be thin and dusting off their older fleet, or the "reserve" forces that were on the periphery of the empire.

The trailer was great overall though, lots to unpack and the shows themes pretty relatable and potent.

Hmmm, the warbird could be simply a sign of a depleted Romulan status. With their empire shattered, resources would be thin and dusting off their older fleet, or the "reserve" forces that were on the periphery of the empire.

The trailer was great overall though, lots to unpack and the shows themes pretty relatable and potent.

Also brilliant to see it isn’t a decrepit old Picard as the first trailer seemed to suggest.
    It’s still him plenty of spirit and spritely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Lots of Soong androids. F8. Are they the real deal or bad copies? At any rate, looks like they did end up going down the mass-production route that Picard was worried about. Wonder if that was Maddox's doing.

Hugh's looking well. Romulan warbirds out of mothballs for the faded empire. Riker and Troi and unseen offspring. All very nice.

The Ent-D looks unaltered. That's good. I can accept all manner of revisionism, but please... don't touch the D.

Advertisement