Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tommy Robinson jailed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Yeah, well that's your problem, and says nothing about me.

Do you ask people for proof in real life? Why are you doing it online? Why do you find it difficult to be civil?

How am I uncivil?

I have yet to met someone who self declared themselves as an expert in real life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Boggles wrote: »
    Well you are either a scientist or a doctor who has extensively studied HIV and probably has been published.

Which one are you?

No need for a CV.

Haven't you already answered your question?

Haven't you already answered your question?

Snared

lbc2019 wrote: »
    How am I uncivil?

I have yet to met someone who self declared themselves as an expert in real life

Have you never heard of context?

Go back and read the post where I made the claim.

Do you think I am walking around the street, shaking people's hands and saying "Hello, I'm an expert"?

Is that how you see things, or are you able to understand context?

I don't care. Get over yourself.

And I am the uncivil one...

Have you never heard of context?

Go back and read the post where I made the claim.

Do you think I am walking around the street, shaking people's hands and saying "Hello, I'm an expert"?

Is that how you see things, or are you able to understand context?

Im no expert but I have a good grasp of it!

And I am the uncivil one...

Yes, you're hassling a stranger online to prove their education and qualifications.

Do you do this in real life?

Why are you doing it online?

Can you really not see the problem here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Why are there so many Tommy fanboys in Ireland?

The same reason you have people participating in multi-level marketing scams.

Yes, you're hassling a stranger online to prove their education and qualifications.

You made the claim, I asked for evidence. Simple really

• Advertisement

That's not fair.

I think a more fair example is people who support antifa.

Both are mostly inventing their enemy, both are extremists (extreme left vs extreme right).

I have w great product you can sell for double what I charge you, but if you get others to sell it, i will give you treble!

Does being pro la make one antifa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yeah, well that's your problem, and says nothing about me.

Do you ask people for proof in real life? Why are you doing it online? Why do you find it difficult to be civil?

Not asking for proof is what makes people followers of Alex Jones. Who needs proof or anything at all to back up that the parents of dead children were actors, making it all up? Alex Jones said it so it must be true.

Perhaps you could link to one such HIV-related article that you are talking about as nonsense, and detail the reasons as to why it is.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Not asking for proof is what makes people followers of Alex Jones. Who needs proof or anything at all to back up that the parents of dead children were actors, making it all up? Alex Jones said it so it must be true.

Perhaps you could link to one such HIV-related article that you are talking about as nonsense, and detail the reasons as to why it is.

No thanks.

No thanks.
    But if you're an expert on the matter and that example is what came to the forefront of your mind, I am sure you know some off hand to refer to?

If you make a claim like that, you need to back it up in some way. I could claim that my ex girlfriend was from Washington D.C. with her parents working for the CIA and in private intelligence, and thus was privvy to a few details on the whole Russia thing going on there ahead of the news. But if I could not back it up in any way whatsoever, I would not expect to be believed on it... even if it were true.

• Advertisement

The reluctant expert

But if you're an expert on the matter and that example is what came to the forefront of your mind, I am sure you know some off hand to refer to?

If you make a claim like that, you need to back it up in some way. I could claim that my ex girlfriend was from Washington D.C. with her parents working for the CIA and in private intelligence, and thus was privvy to a few details on the whole Russia thing going on there ahead of time. But if I could not back it up in any way whatsoever, I would not expect to be believed on it, even if it were true.

You see, this is where you're confused. I don't care if you believe it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,579 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Do you ever notice if you're an expert in a topic, whenever you read an article about that topic on mainstream news source (e.g. the BBC), you're always scratching your head thinking what is this nonsense?

For example, I'm a HIV expert and practically every article on HIV is wrong. It's always a mix of misinformation and old wives tales. I've also a strong background is statistics, and I constantly see statistics being abused to make fake points.

That is a fairly serious allegation, the BBC are spreading mixed, misinformation and lies about a disease.

If one is going to make that claim they would want to provide proof.

Shouldn't be hard for an expert to link to a web page and break it down for us?

You see, this is where you're confused. I don't care if you believe it or not.
    For someone who doesn't care, you do keep responding to others a lot on the matter.

Whether you care or not is irrelevant though, when it comes to others treating you or your claims in any way seriously.

Jaysus what ever happened to the absolute freedom of speech you have been banging on about? :pac:

He is only asking you a couple of obvious questions?

• Advertisement

For someone who doesn't care, you do keep responding to others a lot on the matter.

Whether you care or not is irrelevant though, when it comes to others treating you or your claims in any way seriously.

I'm responding because I'm polite, and I'm waiting for a flight and have nothing to do.

Again, I don't care what you believe, or what you think of me. So go ahead and think whatever.

I'm responding because I'm polite, and I'm waiting for a flight and have nothing to do.

Sure why don't you look for that BBC link that is lying about HIV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The reluctant expert

Just wondering what account were you posting under before you re-registered last month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Again, I don't care what you believe, or what you think of me. So go ahead and think whatever.

I'd ignore the boys in here, if you have a different opinion from them, they will round on you and frustrate until you post something attacking them and then they will all hit the report button and you'll end up with a ban!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Just wondering what account were you posting under before you re-registered last month?

Mod- That is none of yours or anyone else's business.

I'd ignore the boys in here, if you have a different opinion from them, they will round on you and frustrate until you post something attacking them and then they will all hit the report button and you'll end up with a ban!

They don't bother me at all.

I was dragged to a boards event once, and the people there were an eye opener.

I had actually never met people like that before.

So I just assume the people replying are either young or are struggling somewhat.

If I wasn't aware of this, I'd probably be harsher.

I would prefer though if people talked online the way they talk offline.

I'm the exact same offline. :)

Hey while you're here what's your thoughts on Tommy being utterly silent on all the pedophiles that keep popping up in the same EDL he created? Do you think that he, as someone who has a lot of contacts to and knowledge of the EDL, should investigate it more than he has, or not?

I would prefer though if people talked online the way they talk offline.

If one of my friends or a stranger for that matter told me in person that the BBC were spreading misinformation and lies about a disease, I'd would definitely ask for proof.

So could I have proof please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No one can be an expert without explaining their qualifications to you?

Do you have a slight ego by any chance?

Trump university degree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Hey while you're here what's your thoughts on Tommy being utterly silent on all the pedophiles that keep popping up in the same EDL he created? Do you think that he, as someone who has a lot of contacts to and knowledge of the EDL, should investigate it more than he has, or not?

You mean same edl hes no longer part of ? That one ?

Have you even looked into the good he has done ?

Raised thousands for kids and people in need

• Advertisement

Lolz the Jimmy Savile defense. :D

You seem reluctant to answer. It's the same EDL he founded, and the same one he would have an awful lot of knowledge of, both in it's structure and many of the members that have been in it.

Do you think he should do something about this and investigate, or keep quiet as he has done (which I guess is better than defending the EDL pedophiles, which wash is initial stance) as little children continue to be abused?

I mean that is what this is about right... children being abused? It's got nothing to do with using abused children as a political football and stick to beat minorities, correct? All children should be protected, regardless of whom the abusers are wouldn't you agree? If this is the case, then you should be upset about Tommy's silence on his old EDL buddies molesting and raping little children.

YOu seem reluctant to answer. It's the same EDL he founded, and the same one he would have an awful lot of knowledge of, both in it's structure and many of the members that have been in it.

Do you think he should do something about this and investigate, or keep quiet as he has done (which I guess is better than defending the EDL pedophiles, which wash is initial stance) as little children continue to be abused?

You misunderstand what Tommy is.

He's not a centrist who reports on problems in an unbiased, fact-based way.

His focus is on Muslims who refuse to integrate or respect local laws.

He's not totally wrong - in the UK there really is a problem with a certain percentage of Muslims causing chaos, supporting suicide bombings, etc.

But most Muslims are decent and just want to get by, the same as you and me.

So if you think he's an unbiased journalist reporting the facts about all issues, you are mistaken.

There's nothing wrong with being focused on one or two topics. But people who listen to him need to always keep an open mind that he is heavily biased.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

YHis focus is on Muslims who refuse to integrate or respect local laws.

It isn't. It's on all Muslims:

Look, a lot of your post could be the beginning of a sensible discussion of Muslims in the UK or the West. But Tommy doesn't care one whit. He's out for himself and that's it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

It isn't. It's on all Muslims:

Look, a lot of your post could be the beginning of a sensible discussion of Muslims in the UK or the West. But Tommy doesn't care one whit. He's out for himself and that's it.

That is indeed shocking. But to be fair:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    When Robinson was questioned by The Guardian about having blamed "'every single Muslim' for 'getting away' with the 7 July bombings, and for calling Islam a fascist and violent religion, he held up his hands and said, 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry.'" Robinson also said that he would now give evidence to the police to help in their investigation of racists within the EDL.

The video you linked to is not recent. He left the EDL in 2013, so it's possible his opinions have become more responsible since then. (I don't know if they have).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

people are too afraid to speak their minds incase people get upset , id love to hear of any irish person who has never had a bad word to say about foreigners , we all have

Look whats happening with a certain ethnic group in balbriggan , people are affraid to say anything incase labeled racist

Did we have this problem 20 years ago with ethnic groups ? Did england ? NO

They don’t integrate that’s what he is against , he has alot of muslim friends , had meetings with loads of muslims , he’s against the ideology of islam and lack of integration , and when you question their religon you get attacked , he can’t set foot in his own town in his own country by these goat ****ers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Strange how the accounts banned by Facebook, Instagram, YouTube & Twitter are almost always those on the political right.

You seriously think it's strange that the groups that practice all the hate speech are the ones who are banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Odhinn

That is indeed shocking. But to be fair:

The video you linked to is not recent. He left the EDL in 2013, so it's possible his opinions have become more responsible since then. (I don't know if they have).

So much more responsible he's been kicked offof twitter, facebook and instagram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

It's baffling tbh

30 or 40 years ago it would've been Irish people in the UK who the Tommy Robinsons of their day would've been directing their ire at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Cienciano wrote: »
    You seriously think it's strange that the groups that practice all the hate speech are the ones who are banned?

The right don't practice all the hate speech though, that's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

Watched the panorama video and reluctantly found myself on TR'S side . It really goes to show how dishonest all media has become , it's very rare to find true middle ground reporting .

After watching the video autoplay kicked in , a documentary about Saville began . Why are Tommy and his "No Surrender" crew not throwing their weight around for victims of the rape gangs seemingly prevalent in middle class England ?
    The argument of whataboutary can be made but surely if he is so concerned for victims of rape gangs he can use his decent sized profile to highlight this further . Plenty of these people have yet to be exposed .

This I'm sure is highly unlikely as Tommy seems to now be a "Free Speech" activist ..... For this month anyway .

people are too afraid to speak their minds incase people get upset , id love to hear of any irish person who has never had a bad word to say about foreigners , we all have

Look whats happening with a certain ethnic group in balbriggan , people are affraid to say anything incase labeled racist

Did we have this problem 20 years ago with ethnic groups ? Did england ? NO

They don’t integrate that’s what he is against , he has alot of muslim friends , had meetings with loads of muslims , he’s against the ideology of islam and lack of integration , and when you question their religon you get attacked , he can’t set foot in his own town in his own country by these goat ****ers

I can't help but notice how you can't answer whether Tommy should be investigating the EDL and the glorified pedo ring it seems to have become (or may have been from the start, since Tommy started it with a pedophile mate of his).

Be honest, it's because they're white and "not leftists" isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Because we have seen what has happened in the UK and also alot of other European countries. And I for one don't want Ireland following suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Why would there be a mistrial if someone reported on it?

Because the jury have to rely on information provided at the trial. Were information outside the evidence to be provided in reporting and the jury see it then the trial would be tainted and the judge forced to call a mistrial.

The defendants may also be involved in other trials. They would not be seen to get a fair trial from the other court if the jury had read about this trial.

To make it simple suppose you were up on trial for bank robbery and also separately for burglary. If the jury for the burglary case read about the bank robbery trial they'd likely be prejudiced against you and see you as a wrong 'un thus hugely increasing the chances of conviction when you may be innocent of both charges.

Tommy Robinson could have been potentially prejudicing the juries against innocent men. It's not his job to interfere in cases and he's more likely to get guilty men freed by his actions. As a retired lawyer I'm completely clear on the need for Robinson to be charged for his actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

It's quite clear there is a coordinated plan to shut down Robinson, and as far as I'm concerned that's outrageous. People should be allowed to say what they want as long as it doesn't incite violence. Saying Islam is an evil religion should not warrant a ban from any platform. Unless of course Facebook are enforcing blasphemy laws? Saying that Muslims should be killed, on the other hand, should obviously warrant a ban (I'm not saying Robinson ever said this, by the way.)

Having said all of this, it's quite clear that Robinson is a thuggish lager lout who now has deluded himself into thinking he's some kind of freedom fighter. Also, if anyone has ever seen videos of him getting into fights, he punches like a 12 year old girl.

• Advertisement

Really?

You think that Facebook banned him because of something in a TV show? That's actually where your mind went with the information that you have?

You didn't consider that maybe using facebook's platform to spread a lie that had the effect of ddosing the phone lines of a rape crisis centre might have had something to do with it or that maybe he simply failed to heed the warning from facebook?

Yeah, it must be the TV show.

A TV show that has also not been aired so posters cannot be aware of the content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

sirmanga wrote: »
    It's quite clear there is a coordinated plan to shut down Robinson, and as far as I'm concerned that's outrageous. People should be allowed to say what they want as long as it doesn't incite violence. Saying Islam is an evil religion should not warrant a ban from any platform. Unless of course Facebook are enforcing blasphemy laws? Saying that Muslims should be killed, on the other hand, should obviously warrant a ban (I'm not saying Robinson ever said this, by the way.)

Having said all of this, it's quite clear that Robinson is a thuggish lager lout who now has deluded himself into thinking he's some kind of freedom fighter. Also, if anyone has ever seen videos of him getting into fights, he punches like a 12 year old girl.

would you consider any of this inciting violence?
    According to Facebook, a written warning had been sent to Mr Robinson last month about a number of posts on his page that had violated its community standards, including:
    a post calling Muslims "filthy scum bags"
    a post urging people to terrorise and behead those who follow the Koran
    a post urging people to "make war" on Muslims
    multiple videos depicting individuals being bullied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

sirmanga wrote: »

Facebook is an independent, private company. They have no duty to provide anyone with free speech - you are bound by the terms and conditions you agree to when you create the account. Same with twitter. Same with boards.ie. Same with indymedia and stormfront for that matter.

Also, they could be held liable for anything libelous written on their platforms. There was a serious case involving this very platform and a major events management company not so long ago.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

would you consider any of this inciting violence?

All of those examples are an incitement to violence, apart from the calling Muslim filthy scumbags.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement