Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Robinson jailed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,370 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think it's racist to object to huge cultural changes in your country. Many people were never asked if they wanted this to happen.

Nobody thinks that outside the strawman that tends to hand in hand with these threads.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Nobody thinks that outside the strawman that tends to hand in hand with these threads.

Sorry, I don't understand this comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I don't think it's racist to object to huge cultural changes in your country. Many people were never asked if they wanted this to happen.

I said in another post that we have a massive Polish community where I live; there's a sizeable African population too - majority Ghanaian I believe and I'm told up the road there's a decent sized Russian/Georgian/Ukranian crowd.

All good sorts, very community spirited, lots of love for Ireland and very hard working - the taxi driver who took me to the station is Ghanaian and I was his last passenger for a shift that started at 1pm Thursday and ended at 6.45am today. That's hard working.

Incidentally, my dad is looked after in his nursing home by carers from - that I can be sure of, could be more - 8 different countries. They're lovely people, contributing to society and the local community and doing a job most people would not want to do (caring for a dementia patient is very harsh),

I have zero concerns where my neighbours come from generally, as long as they are here to work, help their families and better our society and live by our cultural norms.

The point is there is seemingly no thought to impact on infrastructure, supports, amenities, hospitals etc etc when huge numbers of people are introduced to a country. This is what the issue is - the colour of their skin is absolutely irrelevant, only to out and out racists of which sadly there will always be, and those who wish there to be open borders (without thought for the detrimental effects) who then call those objecting "racists".

We need a sensible, open discussion on exactly what numbers we can take in. If there is scope to do so, yes absolutely we should. But the discussion always goes one way - "you're a racist" when they've nothing else sensible to say.

I said in another post that we have a massive Polish community where I live; there's a sizeable African population too - majority Ghanaian I believe and I'm told up the road there's a decent sized Russian/Georgian/Ukranian crowd.

All good sorts, very community spirited, lots of love for Ireland and very hard working - the taxi driver who took me to the station is Ghanaian and I was his last passenger for a shift that started at 1pm Thursday and ended at 6.45am today. That's hard working.

Incidentally, my dad is looked after in his nursing home by carers from - that I can be sure of, could be more - 8 different countries. They're lovely people, contributing to society and the local community and doing a job most people would not want to do (caring for a dementia patient is very harsh),

I have zero concerns where my neighbours come from generally, as long as they are here to work, help their families and better our society and live by our cultural norms.

The point is there is seemingly no thought to impact on infrastructure, supports, amenities, hospitals etc etc when huge numbers of people are introduced to a country. This is what the issue is - the colour of their skin is absolutely irrelevant, only to out and out racists of which sadly there will always be, and those who wish there to be open borders (without thought for the detrimental effects) who then call those objecting "racists".

We need a sensible, open discussion on exactly what numbers we can take in. If there is scope to do so, yes absolutely we should. But the discussion always goes one way - "you're a racist" when they've nothing else sensible to say.

Well, I couldn't care less about skin colour. I'm talking about culture. I was in Birmingham recently and took a bus journey around the suburbs. For much of the journey it doesn't even feel like you are in Britain anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd agree with that. I'd also add that learning the language is vital, and raising your kids with English is vital too.

• Advertisement

Well, I couldn't care less about skin colour. I'm talking about culture. I was in Birmingham recently and took a bus journey around the suburbs. For much of the journey it doesn't even feel like you are in Britain anymore.

I was told I was lying and making this up (I'm not) but there is a street in Bolton that I have seen that has "Sharia Area" and similar signs and what I am led to believe is a Bangladeshi flag at either end.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭AlphaOmega1

in London a year or two back with family. We were walking around and came across in area full of Lebanese Businesses, we were all hungry so we decided to head into a restaurant that looked very nice. Cue stares from everyone in there and rude service (even though the food was lovely). Obviously there were not used to "white people" coming in. But I was shocked at how unwelcome we felt. Not very integrated into the community.

in London a year or two back with family. We were walking around and came across in area full of Lebanese Businesses, we were all hungry so we decided to head into a restaurant that looked very nice. Cue stares from everyone in there and rude service (even though the food was lovely). Obviously there were not used to "white people" coming in. But I was shocked at how unwelcome we felt. Not very integrated into the community.

Careful now, you'll be like that Kardashian wagon and her dreads - accused of cultural appropriation, or whatever the pathetic buzzword is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭AlphaOmega1

Careful now, you'll be like that Kardashian wagon and her dreads - accused of cultural appropriation, or whatever the pathetic buzzword is!!!

This just in from the political left! Eating food now Racist!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It is very clear what section of the law tommy broke. The ruling was only on the procedure of the trial. It does not make tommy innocent.

I know it doesn't make him innocent, but a lot of my suspicions have been confirmed. Here we see the guy was put in prison for months without it being specified what action was in breach. I remember the video he was careful about two things, his language and his location (never stepped onto what he thought was the court premises and asked a police officer if he was okay where he was standing.)

What does this mean then?

"There was no clarity about what parts of the video were
    relied upon as amounting to contempt, what parts the appellant accepted through his
    counsel amounted to contempt and for what conduct he was sentenced."

"It was unclear what conduct was said to comprise a breach of that order and
    the appellant was sentenced on the basis of conduct which fell outside the scope of
    that order;"

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/yaxley-lennon-full-judgment-1.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I know it doesn't make him innocent, but a lot of my suspicions have been confirmed. Here we see the guy was put in prison for months without it being specified what action was in breach. I remember the video he was careful about two things, his language and his location (never stepped onto what he thought was the court premises and asked a police officer if he was okay where he was standing.)

What does this mean then?

"There was no clarity about what parts of the video were
    relied upon as amounting to contempt, what parts the appellant accepted through his
    counsel amounted to contempt and for what conduct he was sentenced."

"It was unclear what conduct was said to comprise a breach of that order and
    the appellant was sentenced on the basis of conduct which fell outside the scope of
    that order;"

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/yaxley-lennon-full-judgment-1.pdf

a bit odd then that he decided to plead guilty. This will be all resolved at the new trial and and i would would be shocked if he was not found guilty again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

a bit odd then that he decided to plead guilty. This will be all resolved at the new trial and and i would would be shocked if he was not found guilty again.

I agree its as if he wasn't given time to mount a proper defense, his charges weren't clarified to him and his representation was misled regarding his status.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I agree its as if he wasn't given time to mount a proper defense, his charges weren't clarified to him and his representation was misled regarding his status.

his status?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

seamus wrote: »
    That's just racism.
    Oh noes! Foreigners mixing! The very fabric of society will come undone!
    Racism then. Gotcha.

Remember when a bomb went off on London's underground and you wrote this?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104683322&postcount=2
    First reports are that people have suffered facial injuries after a "container exploded" in a carriage.

No damage to any trains or life threatening injuries reported.

Doesn't sound like anything malicious at first glance, but we'll see.

Then you tried to insult people genuinely being worried and make light of the situation. If someone you knew was in that area you wouldn't be a bastion of calm.
    Having a good chuckle here at all of the eternally hysterical on Twitter: "I just had to run for my life from the Tube Station! I don't know why, but everyone else was running!".

"My brother lives just down the road from that station, thankfull he's OK"

"OMG, I got off at that station just yesterday"

Finally to cap it all off despite all the previous terror attacks committed that year you came up with this beauty after a shopping bag was discovered
    If true, then probably just some moron carrying something dangerous in in a LIDL bag.

And what did you do when it was confirmed it was a terrorist attack? You didn't post in the thread again, the same thing people like you always do when the cognitive dissonance hits home.

You have no problem calling people racists here, so I have no problems saying your above posts are based in stupidity and vitriol towards those who are genuinely afflicted and worried when such incidents happen. Taking the UK as one example, if you're not an ideologue it's easy to understand why people have such concerns.

The UK is home to 23000 potential Jihadi's, that's not racism, that's a fact.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/huge-scale-of-terror-threat-revealed-uk-home-to-23-000-jihadists-3zvn58mhq

Only 1 in 3 Muslims in the UK would tip off the police if somebody close to them became involved in terrorism, that's not racism either.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/survey-reveals-chasm-between-muslim-values-and-rest-of-uk-d30hl55lk

"Only one in three British Muslims would tip off the police if they believed that somebody close to them had become involved with terrorist sympathisers, a poll has revealed.

More than 100,000 British Muslims sympathise with suicide bombers and people who commit other terrorist acts, the survey suggests."

84 per cent of people convicted of child grooming gang offenses since 2005 were Muslims

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/quilliam-grooming-gangs-report-asian-abuse-rotherham-rochdale-newcastle-a8101941.html

As for Tommy Robinson, he put his life on the line after he seen what happened to Luton because of "multiculturalism" and all the problems it brought to his home town. He has bigger balls with a sterner backbone than you will ever know and tens of thousands of snarky posts with your nose pointed up at people will never change that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Tommy Robinson is a patriot telling the truth which is a revolutionary act these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

You've got to hand it to hank. He brings stupidity , prejudice and bigotry in a nice bundle for everyone to enjoy.

You've got to hand it to hank. He brings stupidity , prejudice and bigotry in a nice bundle for everyone to enjoy.

Name calling, solid retort. You are the epitome of intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

They love a bit of name calling and condescension, allows them to feel superior without out the need for an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Which area was that, out of interest?

Not saying I don’t believe you - I know of a few East African restaurants in north London where Europeans would never set foot, not because they’ve been made explicitly unwelcome, but because they whole set up would feel very alien, even to the extent that the women sit separately behind a room length curtain to eat.

But it would surprise me if any restaurant in a touristy area of London would try to make any customers deliberately unwelcome considering the cost of renting business premises and the ever growing competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

backspin. wrote: »
    They love a bit of name calling and condescension, allows them to feel superior without out the need for an argument.

We sure do. Nothing like laughing at a bigot. Praise Allah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Name calling, solid retort. You are the epitome of intelligence.

What else were you expecting u racist? You provided damning statistics from the times n the independent (not exactly Breitbart!). It was going to be impossible to contradict them so it was the only option left to poor aul winny, bless him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Of course you don't, because you're in favour of dumping large numbers of immigrants in working class areas for some reason. It's about identity. As I keep saying large parts of big cities resemble a city in the Middle East. A lot of people don't like this.

Can you elaborate on this identity issue? What do you fear a person will lose when mixing with people from other cultures? What aspect of Irelands identity do you fear being lost if you bring in a few thousand refugees? What part of the UK's or France's identity do you think has been lost?

Looking fairly shook here...

Prison aint supposed to be a hotel.

Can you elaborate on this identity issue? What do you fear a person will lose when mixing with people from other cultures? What aspect of Irelands identity do you fear being lost if you bring in a few thousand refugees? What part of the UK's or France's identity do you think has been lost?

It's not a case of mixing with other cultures. The numbers arriving in Britain have been huge, with many people coming from alien cultures . Just drive through some of the bigger cities and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's not one thing; it's lots of things, from the way people dress, the religion, the language they speak etc. etc. A lot of people have left traditionally working class areas in London because they felt their neighbourhood had changed beyond recognition. When this is coupled with a refusal by elite politicians to recognise the concerns of ordinary people, and the craven PC authorities who refuse to confront grooming grooming gangs, then it's hardly surprising that Robinson is becoming more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Aww, poor diddums

violin-steve-buscemi.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Aww, poor diddums

That video has over 250,000 views and 17,000 likes in less than 24 hours.

Watch the right grow and grow. This was an own goal by the British justice system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Prison aint supposed to be a hotel.

Don't mock. Like him or not is your own business, but he never should have been put in jail. We can just as easily be in that position as he was if the Irish Govt is determined to go the way Britain,Germany,etc. When you give the Govt consent to go after you don't like you can't be too surprised when they eventually find a reason to go after you.

It's not a case of mixing with other cultures. The numbers arriving in Britain have been huge, with many people coming from alien cultures . Just drive through some of the bigger cities and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's not one thing; it's lots of things, from the way people dress, the religion, the language they speak etc. etc. A lot of people have left traditionally working class areas in London because they felt their neighbourhood had changed beyond recognition.

Still not making much sense. If all your neighbours are from different cultures how does that affect your identity? You talk about change like it's inherently negative.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Don't mock. Like him or not is your own business, but he never should have been put in jail. We can just as easily be in that position as he was if the Irish Govt is determined to go the way Britain,Germany,etc. When you give the Govt consent to go after you don't like you can't be too surprised when they eventually find a reason to go after you.

Jail is the right place for people who break the law repeatedly. Contempt laws are no different here by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Jail is the right place for people who break the law repeatedly. Contempt laws are no different here by the way.

Except that he didn't break any laws. Even the Senior judges said he was railroaded. So you agree with locking up people for political reasons?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement