Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Just saw this one on instagram:

Ryleigh.

I swear people go out of their way to misspell names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

Breffny or Ferdia. Rotten sounding

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Astrid is quite a popular Scandinavian name I like it to be honest.

Me too I think it’s a lovely name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Gravelly wrote: »
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Kid on the Toy show last night called Kyllian. Why do that to your child? ''Actually, it's spelled...'' is something he'll have to literally say for the rest of his life.

There’s a particular type of parent that loves to give their children normal names spelled in a “special” way. It speaks volumes about their ambition for, and faith in their child if they think they need to do that to make them stand out in life.

Maksymillian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

js35 wrote: »
    Astrid is quite a popular Scandinavian name I like it to be honest.

Me too I think it’s a lovely name

Pronounced ass-turd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Spelled like the footballer Kyllian Mbappe.
    No. He spells his name 'Kylian'.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

Heard this one recently........Velvet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mojo Hand

And Mbappe is only 19. So unless they were able to see into the future.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Shop40 wrote: »

Pure hooker name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I heard a mother scream "Press-Tinn" (I assume Preston?) in a very heavy Cork accent this morning in IKEA. It was as delightful an experience as it sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

This lad probably got the haircut to take the attention away from his name:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Shop40 wrote: »

It's not double barrelled, but it is two ply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why do that to your child?

The combined parental IQ probably approximates room temperature in Fahrenheit.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

How about "Squire Sebastian Senator" for a first name? :rolleyes:

https://www.unilad.co.uk/life/woman-slams-fake-a-family-for-not-supporting-bizarre-baby-name-choice/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

McKenzie.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

Kathaleeya Anne.
    It is in the siamsa annual my child got in school. I presume it's meant to be a hip version of Kathleen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I was in my friends watching funny kid fails on YouTube, in one of them a mother called her child iPod. We had to keep going back and listening to make sure we heard it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

A school friend of my sister's called her child Lake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Jrop wrote: »

Almost as bad as Brooke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

John.

orwight dave

• Advertisement

Jrop wrote: »

That name just reminds me of a guy called Lake Palmer who was mad to get a Thai bride on a Louis Theroux documentary.

He was a disaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

Someone on the train yesterday was discussing that her sister was due and they were thinking "either Equinox or Baxter, cos they work for a boy or a girl".

No, they really don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Equinox sounds like something I used to use for worming horses......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Norman Reedus called his son Mingus. Mingus Reedus. Ffs.

Someone on the train yesterday was discussing that her sister was due and they were thinking "either Equinox or Baxter, cos they work for a boy or a girl".

Baxter is a dogs name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I was walking around Smithfield one day and the next I hear, in a strong North side accent................ "Shakira, Shakira, werrrrrr arrrr ya"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

Gravelly wrote: »
    There’s a particular type of parent that loves to give their children normal names spelled in a “special” way. It speaks volumes about their ambition for, and faith in their child if they think they need to do that to make them stand out in life.

Typical Gaelic snobs aren't satisfied with 'Orla' but need 'Orlaith' and ,yes, you
    even get 'Orfhlaith' !
    Other beauties include 'Cliodhna', 'Maighréad' 'Ruaidhri' etc.
    Some of these unfortunates must have hilarious fun at the passport check desk.
    ....and here comes Sadhbh Lasairfhíona Ní Ghallchobhair followed by
    Bláthnaid Caoilfhionn Ni Raithbheartaigh ....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

boardise wrote: »
    Typical Gaelic snobs aren't satisfied with 'Orla' but need 'Orlaith' and ,yes, you
    even get 'Orfhlaith' !

How do you pronounce Caoilfhoinn?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

even get 'Orfhlaith' !

All beautiful old Irish names with our spelling . It's wonderful to see them used again and being proud of our heritage again

• Advertisement

How do you pronounce Caoilfhoinn?

It mean slender ( caol. ) and fair ( fionn )
    Pronounced a little like Kayl Inn

How is 'Caoilfhionn' pronounced ?
    In fact it's almost impossible for a native speaker of English without an amount of phonetic tutoring
    It would be something close to 'Queelan' . The difficulty is in articulating the initial consonant /vowel combination which is not used in English . No language uses all the possible sounds or sound combinations - a subset is all that's needed.

even get 'Orfhlaith' !

That's some Paddy-hating cultural cringe grunt, even by your standards. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

How is 'Caoilfhionn' pronounced ?
    In fact it's almost impossible for a native speaker of English without an amount of phonetic tutoring
    It would be something close to 'Queelan' . The difficulty is in articulating the initial consonant /vowel combination which is not used in English . No language uses all the possible sounds or sound combinations - a subset is all that's needed.

I knew a guy who pronounced it "quail-aaawn"

even get 'Orfhlaith' !

Ha, you do realise most of these names are original names and names like Orla are misspelt hand me downs.
    We live in Ireland, our ancestors spoke as gaeilge, bizarre that you find names like Orlaith, (probably more popular than Orla) Cliodhna', Sadhbh, 'Maighréad' 'Ruaidhri" as worthy of a mention on this thread, they are normal everyday names ............ Most Irish people are acquainted with such names and wouldn't blink an eye at them.

Ha, you do realise most of these names are original names and names like Orla are misspelt hand me downs.
    We live in Ireland, our ancestors spoke as gaeilge, bizarre that you find names like Orlaith, (probably more popular than Orla) Cliodhna', Sadhbh, 'Maighréad' 'Ruaidhri" as worthy of a mention on this thread, they are normal everyday names ............ Most Irish people are acquainted with such names and wouldn't blink an eye at them.

Sorry -you are missing the point and you don't know what you're talking about.

• Advertisement

Sorry -you are missing the point and you don't know what you're talking about.

Ah, ok, That's told me.................. Damn.

To The Talking Bread - The whole point of my post -which was connected to another post on the same theme -was that certain Gaelicky types chose versions of names for their children which featured surplus consonants/letters which added nothing but complication to the pronunciation -out of pure affectation.
    So - Orla became Orlaith , Cliona became Cliodhna , Mairéad became Maighréad , Ruairí became Ruaidhrí etc.
    Two quick points --(i) the overwhelming trend in language change is towards shortening of forms -not lengthening.
    (ii) In fact the Gaelic authorities around the 1930s /40s began a process of trying to abbreviate many Gaelic first and second names to try to bring about a degree of simplification so e.g. forms like Gallchobhair were written Gallchóir and Raithbheartaigh became Raifeartaigh.
    The essential point is that the original spelling would have mirrored sounds which were actually pronounced centuries ago but which speakers had ceased to articulate as a result of natural sound change.

To The Talking Bread - The whole point of my post -which was connected to another post on the same theme -was that certain Gaelicky types chose versions of names for their children which featured surplus consonants/letters which added nothing but complication to the pronunciation -out of pure affectation.
    So - Orla became Orlaith , Cliona became Cliodhna , Mairéad became Maighréad , Ruairí became Ruaidhrí etc.
    Two quick points --(i) the overwhelming trend in language change is towards shortening of forms -not lengthening.
    (ii) In fact the Gaelic authorities around the 1930s /40s began a process of trying to abbreviate many Gaelic first and second names to try to bring about a degree of simplification so e.g. forms like Gallchobhair were written Gallchóir and Raithbheartaigh became Raifeartaigh.
    The essential point is that the original spelling would have mirrored sounds which were actually pronounced centuries ago but which speakers had ceased to articulate as a result of natural sound change.

Orlaith or Cliodhna were the original old Geailge !' They didn't become so ! The original Celtic name was Órfhlaith meaning a Golden Princess . Dropping the consonants in fact lost it full meaning

Thank goodness we still maintain our beautiful names with beautiful spelling and people once again not afraid to maintain our heritage
    I am delighted to see Maighread etc make a come back .

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

We call the language "Irish" over in Ireland.

I'm confused here? What is your point?

Actually...........

Orlaith became Orla FOR SOME

Ruaidhrí bcame Ruairi became Rory FOR SOME

Cliodhna became Cliona FOR SOME

etc etc

Mairead and Maighréad (are just different variations of an origional Gaelic names, from different dialects

Mairghréad is not the same as Mairead and is pronounced differently

These are names that were never dropped, variations just appeared.

names are derived from a meaning. Some of those names would be completely devoid of their meaning if you dropped certain consonants. A name isn't just a tag.
    The word Orla is completely devoid of meaning unless you connect it to its origin (Orlaith - child princess of light/gold)

So what's the point having a name with just letters...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The nerve of some f***ing people coming up with names in their own language. Should have asked the brits to invade earlier.

One always hopes that a topic can be discussed in a calm and factual manner but one is invariably disappointed.
    Time to tune out I fear.
    Fair play to The Talking Bread -at least you tried to mount a discussion that might have got somewhere and spread some enlightenment.
    As for people who have nothing to offer but bilious abuse -there's no point in dignifying their silly comments with a reply because in fact there's nothing of substance to reply to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

No issue with calling your kid Orfhlaith if you want to but just expect that your child will spend their whole lives having to correct people every single time their name is taken for one thing or another.

One always hopes that a topic can be discussed in a calm and factual manner but one is invariably disappointed.
    Time to tune out I fear.
    Fair play to The Talking Bread -at least you tried to mount a discussion that might have got somewhere and spread some enlightenment.
    As for people who have nothing to offer but bilious abuse -there's no point in dignifying their silly comments with a reply because in fact there's nothing of substance to reply to.

Here is one fact for you so . Orla did not become Orlaith in fact Orla is derived from the name Orfhlaith . An old Celtic beautiful name with meaning . Maybe you just mis understood the origin of names but there are some great sites where you could look up the origin of names .Its really interesting to read about names like Ruaidhrí etc

No issue with calling your kid Orfhlaith if you want to but just expect that your child will spend their whole lives having to correct people every single time their name is taken for one thing or another.

Funnily enough I had less issue with my Irish name in Germany than I did here . The listened and learned how to pronounce it and never questioned why it was spelt so

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

I had a collegue who was called "Trientje". In Dutch, "Trien" is a rural term for a stupid, boorish woman and -tje is a diminutive. So, you just called your daughter: little, stupid, boorish girl/woman....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

Jenneke87 wrote: »
    I had a collegue who was called "Trientje". In Dutch, "Trien" is a rural term for a stupid, boorish woman and -tje is a diminutive. So, you just called your daughter: little, stupid, boorish girl/woman....

Charming!!!!!

Makes Jamie Oliver's kids seem nice and normal lol!!!!!

Did anyone see the fight at the airport in America ? Someone laughed at a kid called Abcde.

Really !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Good to see the "defenders of the language" holding forth.

In other shock news: Chinese people give their kids Chinese names; Spanish kids get Spanish names; French kids get French names. But Irish kids and their parents...:rolleyes:

If you don't know how it's pronounced, ask. It's that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

just heard a woman with a nails on chalkboard accent address her little girl as "Carson"

just heard a woman with a nails on chalkboard accent address her little girl as "Carson"

Probably mispronunciation of Karysn/Carsyn which, albeit being Americanny sounding(despite it and it's male version (Carson) originating in Scotland), is quiet a nice name I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement