Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Saw a kid on "Child Genius" last night on Channel 4 called Mog.

He is an absolute pain in the arse too.

Gawd.... saw that episode. Cringworthy is the term I would use.

Do the parents know what type of a saddo life is coming down the line for him..especially in his teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Aphrodite named after the Mighty. I'm not sure the mother spells it correctly either. There's a kid in my nephews class called Seershah (as opposed to Saoirse).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Working in a prison you here all the marvellous names on visit days. In no particular order there is ; Paris, Darley-Rose, Carson, Hudson, Dakota, Shakira, Nova-Belle, Chanel, Jayden and Kayden (obviously), Azelia-Blu, India-Rose, Demi-Leigh, Lily-Mai, Rihanna, Triegh, Rocco and a multitude of others I've blanked out intentionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

If you are a Facebook or Twitter fan well just saddle your child with a name for the next xx years.

Hashtag Jameson

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Heard a kid called Garmin the other day. I couldn't get that give a give a Garmin song out of my head since!

I'm sure he'll be able to navigate his own way through life!
    I'll get my coat and leave :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

I think part of the justification for that rule is the patronymic custom (the custom of taking your fathers name as your surname).

So if you're Paddy, son of Anders Magnusson, your name will be Paddy Andersson.

I think the rule is designed to stop people taking the piss, although those nordic societies are usually too straightlaced to take the piss anyway.

And if you're Patricia, daughter of Anders Magnusson your name will be Patricia Andersdottir.

I like it tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Seraphim.

I didn't hear it here in Ireland and it did sound marshmallowy cute for a small blonde two year old boy but how will it wear for a non-Jewish male adult in forty years time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

deex wrote: »
    I heard this morning that the actress who played Kelly (the chav) in Misfits did a year in jail for racially-aggravated assault and I went onto her Wikipedia page to check if it was true or not.

This is what I see:

"In April 2016 it was announced via Twitter that she'd given birth to a girl ReenieRae."

ReenieRae. Not even so much as a hyphen or a space to break it up a bit!! Definitely the worst name I've ever heard.

(Also, yes, she is a racist thug.)
    Although, one for the unusual people you fancy thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

A women who used to come into a shop I worked in was called Clíodna (pronounced kleena). She married a man with the surname Magee, I never found out if she took his surname after they married.

Another friend of a friends name is Kent Clarke. His parents are huge superman fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

And if you're Patricia, daughter of Anders Magnusson your name will be Patricia Andersdottir.

I like it tbh :)

In an Irish context it's so 10th century :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Sailor Ben Ainslie being interviewed about the birth of recent baby's arrival named... Bellatrix!

Is that a Harry Potter character or a washing machine? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I know someone with a kid called Soleil (as in French for sun)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sailor Ben Ainslie being interviewed about the birth of recent baby's arrival named... Bellatrix!

Is that a Harry Potter character or a washing machine? :eek:

Sounds like cat food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

dubhthach wrote: »
    In an Irish context it's so 10th century :)

I don't think you need to go back nearly that far. It's still fairly common practice in rural Ireland to have family nicknames to distinguish different families with the same surnames. The nickname would commonly be based on their father's first name.

For example Joyce country in North Connemara is so named because a huge proportion of the people there are Joyces.

A way was needed to distinguish between the many different Patrick/Michael/John/Tom Joyces, so names of fathers and/or grandfathers or sometimes mothers/grandmothers were often used. E.g. Tom Micheal Ann, or Pat Sheamuis. Anyone who remembers the programme Des Bishop did in the Gaeltacht will remember how funny he found the name of the family he lived with - the Phat Willy's.

I know plenty of people by their family nickname, but wouldn't be sure of their actual surname :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I was in Dealz today and a mother kept saying: "Sienna, stop!".
    I turned into another aisle but could still hear her: "Sienna, get over here please!"
    Another aisle: "Sienna, leave those alone please!"
    At the till, she was behind me: "You have to share those sweets with Weston, OK?"

Sienna is becoming such a common name now but it's tacky.
    And don't get me started on Weston!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

waraf wrote: »

Could be big fans of Dark Souls. Praise The Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Could be big fans of Dark Souls. Praise The Sun.

That'd be Solaire, which would be equally awful on a child

That'd be Solaire, which would be equally awful on a child

I'd love a Solero now.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'd love a Solero now.

Have you met my daughter Solero? And the twins, Cornetto and Vienetta? My husband, Magnum chose the names.

Can you guess why I married Magnum? ;)

maudgonner wrote: »
    Have you met my daughter Solero? And the twins, Cornetto and Vienetta? My husband, Magnum chose the names.

Can you guess why I married Magnum? ;)

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

waraf wrote: »

Gordon D'arcys daughter is called that but at least his surnames a bit French

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

pc7 wrote: »
    Gordon D'arcys daughter is called that but at least his surnames a bit French

Soleil d'arsey
    The sun shines out of...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I don't think you need to go back nearly that far. It's still fairly common practice in rural Ireland to have family nicknames to distinguish different families with the same surnames. The nickname would commonly be based on their father's first name.

For example Joyce country in North Connemara is so named because a huge proportion of the people there are Joyces.

A way was needed to distinguish between the many different Patrick/Michael/John/Tom Joyces, so names of fathers and/or grandfathers or sometimes mothers/grandmothers were often used. E.g. Tom Micheal Ann, or Pat Sheamuis. Anyone who remembers the programme Des Bishop did in the Gaeltacht will remember how funny he found the name of the family he lived with - the Phat Willy's.

I know plenty of people by their family nickname, but wouldn't be sure of their actual surname :)

Sure I'm aware of it, my point though was that system in Ireland before adaptation of fixed surnames in 10th century was purely patryonomic as in Iceland -- though people did have kindred and dynastical names as well.

There were nicknames as well of course, which if anything increased after surnames became fixed to define separate branches.

For example contrast McDermott and McDermottroe -- Mac Diarmada Rua

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Then Brunch and Funny Foot came along...

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    I put Philip down on the invite for my 2yr olds creche mates invite. On the rsvp, the mam 'corrected' the spelling to Filup.

Could be legit in a foreign language, pretty sure it's Filip in Polish.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Then Brunch and Funny Foot came along...

What about the golly bar? Woooops!

Then Magnum turned into a Wibbly Wobbly Wonder and there were no more babies after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Visiting family in the States a few weeks ago. A family friend was showing me photos of her grandson ...

Zayden.

Heard a father chastise his son in The Square yesterday: "Pharoah! Come here now!".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Someone I know just had a baby girl and they named her Rogue.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

fussyonion wrote: »
    Heard a father chastise his son in The Square yesterday: "Pharoah! Get off your camel and come here now!".

FYP

Advertisement