Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China. A (not) great bunch of lads.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Rich words all things considered?
    People who post most are just quick thinkers :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

People who post most are just quick thinkers :P

It is the shallowest vessels which make the most noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It is the shallowest vessels which make the most noise.
    I feel very attacked right now.

This may be true. But they float better. ;)

I find it intriguing that BenditLuke has 1020 posts in 1 month and you have almost 9000 in 9 months.

It is uncanny that you have the same prolificity of posts... remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

_Brian wrote: »
    Diseases have been around for a long time, it’s part of life.
    Europeans killed millions of native Americans when they conquered America.

There have been other flu pandemics, there will be more.

That doesn't make it right though, you'd agree or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Cordell wrote: »
    They eat every animal that walks under the Sun.
    And the ones that don't too.

I wasn't even aware of some of their practices until recently tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

BanditLuke wrote: »
    That doesn't make it right though, you'd agree or not?

There’s no right or wrong though.
    These things develop and spread.

It wasn’t the Chinese that sent all the Irish TY students to Italy to bring it back here.

It’s something we have to accept if people want to have the global free travelling lifestyle and trade that we currently have.

Honestly, if people had proper respect for the regular flu strains and had proper hygiene appropriate to those them this wouldn’t have spread so much. We’re at a stage where we’re accepting probably half a million people a year dead from flu effects each year, that’s not the fault of third world countries either.

This is a society failure, we have become complacent regarding coronavirus strains.

beejee wrote: »
    And now a geansai load of other countries have the disease too.

If this virus takes hold and becomes an annual killer, is that acceptable?

What about Chinas next disease gift to the world? And the next? And the one after that?

Whatever shape or form it takes, that area is going to get a hard slap soon.

I see. Did you complain about AIDS? After all, that's been with us longer, and has killed far more people... and it didn't originate in China, or only from Chinese practices. Or perhaps go nuts over the sharp rise in Allergies, which probably will kill more people than this virus...

Fact is, we're vulnerable to disease, even more so, due to the way our lives have evolved through medicine, our eating habits, and general lifestyles.

I find it interesting that people are willing to rant about China with regards to this virus, but haven't cared much about other crap that's been going on for decades, and have already killed many more than this virus.

Honestly, a lot of this outrage seems more like a fashion statement than any real interest or involvement.

Yeah but how many countries have been the source of global epidemics?

And, you know, within the last 200 bleeding years?

Funny how these acceptable epidemics have a very common denominator, don't you think? What are the odds...

Bad things develop in third world countries because they lack the amenities, expenditure, education and basic hygiene standards we are lucky to have here.

We have our own issues, look at superbugs happening here through poor antibiotics usage, that is actually a much bigger population health threat here. But yea, let’s beat down on poor nations because they eat differently and the majority of their population live a 1940’s standard of lifestyle compared to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

You're on this a month and have over a 1000 posts?

Impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I wasn't even aware of some of their practices until recently tbh.

Neither was I really. It makes me think. I went walking hungover , after watching Ireland v Switzerland play off at about 6 in the morning in Shanghai and went into a local place for breakfast. God knows what it was :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

cjmc wrote: »
    Neither was I really. It makes me think. I went walking hungover , after watching Ireland v Switzerland play off at about 6 in the morning in Shanghai and went into a local place for breakfast. God knows what it was :(

Some of it is really good though. Why do they have such bland crap in their restaurants here? That's the real crime!

cjmc wrote: »

Chinese breakfast is pretty crap tbh. I've spent most of my time in Shaanxi. Baozi is fine the first few times but really gets boring quick, and the quality of the mix inside can be pretty awful. The Zeng Gao is really yucky too, as is Yangrou Paomo, which takes some getting used to. Still both Biang biang mein, and Liang Pi with a Rou Jia Mo are excellent. Pity they get repetitive so quickly. Thankfully, there's a wide range of Jiaozi, which are wonderful with a soup especially if you enjoy it spicy.

Personally, even after all this time, I love Chinese food. Hate it too. Some things I just can't tolerate anymore, but a lot of that is to do with the low quality ingredients and the MSG/flavoring added. Local dishes tend to be better than the more national ones. Also being able to have hot (or dry) pot any time of the day or night is awesome.

You will come across some incredibly weird dishes, but I've seen as much in other countries like Russia (outside of the cities), or other Asian countries. My sister told me of some revolting dishes when she spent some extensive time touring Africa, so.. it seems to be a thing in many countries around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I see. Did you complain about AIDS? After all, that's been with us longer, and has killed far more people... and it didn't originate in China, or only from Chinese practices. Or perhaps go nuts over the sharp rise in Allergies, which probably will kill more people than this virus...

Fact is, we're vulnerable to disease, even more so, due to the way our lives have evolved through medicine, our eating habits, and general lifestyles.

I find it interesting that people are willing to rant about China with regards to this virus, but haven't cared much about other crap that's been going on for decades, and have already killed many more than this virus.

Honestly, a lot of this outrage seems more like a fashion statement than any real interest or involvement.

AIDS was essentially confined within, and spread because of, one specific community. An easy target that was let slide, and now it's everywhere and everyone's problem. Good point.

Allergies are non-specific. If new allergies were originating from one specific country and one specific group of people, there'd be something to talk about. But it isn't, so there isn't.

"humans suffer disease, therefore everything is grand" is some stupid attitude to have.

Let's take your attitude into the future...

"well, that new killer disease from Finland is nothing to worry about, it has nothing to do with Finnish people. Take, for example, that covid19 disease that's seasonally planet-wide for the last decade. Thousands die each year from that, so the new Finnish disease is nothing to worry about because people get diseases"

Durp!

AIDS was essentially confined within, and spread because of, one specific community. An easy target that was let slide, and now it's everywhere and everyone's problem. Good point.

Allergies are non-specific. If new allergies were originating from one specific country and one specific group of people, there'd be something to talk about. But it isn't, so there isn't.

"humans suffer disease, therefore everything is grand" is some stupid attitude to have.

Let's take your attitude into the future...

"well, that new killer disease from Finland is nothing to worry about, it has nothing to do with Finnish people. Take, for example, that covid19 disease that's seasonally planet-wide for the last decade. Thousands die each year from that, so the new Finnish disease is nothing to worry about because people get diseases"

Durp!

Which community was that? Exactly?

Bad things develop in third world countries because they lack the amenities, expenditure, education and basic hygiene standards we are lucky to have here.

We have our own issues, look at superbugs happening here through poor antibiotics usage, that is actually a much bigger population health threat here. But yea, let’s beat down on poor nations because they eat differently and the majority of their population live a 1940’s standard of lifestyle compared to the west.

"superbugs" are everywhere and not specific. If antibiotic resistance was coming out of one country over and over again, there'd be a point.

I'm not "beating down on poor nations". I'm beating down on one specific country. Wealth has nothing to do with identifying the problem.

Essentially, you are saying that "poor" China should get a pass for incubating one world disease after another because "it's not fair".

If you catch the covid19 thing or whatever is next out of China, just explain to the disease how your feelings are hurt. That'll cure you right up :p

Would your attitude change if it was Germany originating these viruses? If so, how do you square that with the reality that a disease doesn't give a good goddamn about your feelings?

Something needs to be done about China, and the longer people refuse to even accept that simple fact, the longer it will take to decide "what" needs to be done.

In other words, you have to recognise a problem before you can solve it.

Which community was that? Exactly?

Tibetan wheelchair users.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

I dismissed nothing, you posted a link to a video and acknowledged it's an agenda driven piece. Far better had you posted something unbiased tbh, but you didn't.

That guy in the video was the first youtuber from China. He lived there for 14 years, married a Chinese doctor and recently had a baby with her. He showed all the positives of China before Chinese government continually harassed him and his wifes family. They left China and moved to USA, where we was more free to be honest and he has the footage to back it all up. Yes his tune has changed but its not made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

I wonder how many of the China bashers on this thread have ever actually visited China?

Ever had friends living and working there who can tell you what it is really like?

I've been inside Chinese factories in Dongguan and Anshan last year, doing audits. Very interesting indeed.

Tibetan wheelchair users.

Your not answering my question, why ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

skallywag wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the China bashers on this thread have ever actually visited China?

Ever had friends living and working there who can tell you what it is really like?

I've been inside Chinese factories in Dongguan and Anshan last year, doing audits. Very interesting indeed.

Been there three times myself, what is it like then?

skallywag wrote: »

As if that has any relevancy whatsoever.

The diseases come out of China. That fact doesn't change because some random individual was in some place at sometime.

When I see people bashing the eating habits of others that are just cultural difference it’s a red flag that they are narrow minded and often racist too.

Beating down on third world countries for being behind shows terrible ignorance both towards other humans, but also am ignorance of our own recent history of being such a nation.

China has many governance problems. It’s culture Traditions and people are fascinating and travelling there is always an education.

The diseases come out of China. That fact doesn't change because some random individual was in some place at sometime.

And the Aids epidemic is confined to which specific community?

Your not answering my question, why ?

I'm not answering your "question" because you and everyone else already knows the answer. I can smell the bs revisionism go-nowhere "arguments" coming a mile off.

It also has no relevancy to the topic, it was brought up by another poster and that's the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

When I see people bashing the eating habits of others that are just cultural difference it’s a red flag that they are narrow minded and often racist too.

Beating down on third world countries for being behind shows terrible ignorance both towards other humans, but also am ignorance of our own recent history of being such a nation.

China has many governance problems. It’s culture Traditions and people are fascinating and travelling there is always an education.

So there is no improper, inadequate handling of carcasses and meat in many markets that occasionally enables dangerous virii to jump species and cause outbreaks of disease, and anyone who thinks otherwise is an ignorant racist? Is that the official catechism here?

I'm not answering your "question" because you and everyone else already knows the answer. I can smell the bs revisionism go-nowhere "arguments" coming mile off.

It also has no relevancy to the topic, it was brought up by another poster and that's the end of it.

I think your comments are more than relevant. What community are you referring to please?

"Diseases are just cultural differences, man. I mean, you're practically a racist to see it any other way"

Idiocy.

jimgoose wrote: »
    So there is no improper, inadequate handling of carcasses and meat in many markets that occasionally enables dangerous virii to jump species and cause outbreaks of disease, and anyone who thinks otherwise is an ignorant racist? Is that the official catechism here?

No, no! You see, disease is a matter of attitude. That's all :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

What does the OP have to do with covid-19?

Advertisement