Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China. A (not) great bunch of lads.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Raconteuse wrote: »
    How is it ironic? (IF the device was made in China).

Surely a boycott of Chinese products would be appropriate in the OPs case if he has an issue with the regime?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Chances are the device you are using to post this rant was made in China. Irony.
    Most things are nowadays. Greedy western CEO's worked out years ago that they can multiplty their profits by outsourcing jobs and factories.
    China does not give a hoot what the west says about them because they know that in the end, we in the west are totally reliant on them for all the goods they pump out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Surely a boycott of Chinese products would be appropriate in the OPs case if he has an issue with the regime?

I'm considering it tbh. I actually have a Huawei phone and I'm going to start looking at options to replace. Do you know if any smartphones including batteries are produced outside China?

I think if we all make a small effort things can change

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I'm considering it tbh. I actually have a Huawei phone and I'm going to start looking at options to replace. Do you know if any smartphones including batteries are produced outside China?

I think if we all make a small effort things can change

I think it would be very hard to find a phone without a single component not made in china, resistors, capacitors etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Well there's no evidence that the device they're posting from was made in China or that they have not boycotted Chinese products, but either way, it's just valid criticism of a regime - nothing wrong with that surely?

Many regimes/governments are criticised here - should those who make such criticisms always back themselves up by boycotting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Well there's no evidence that the device they're posting from was made in China

Other than the OP's admission, that his device is made in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Alanis has so much to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    I think it would be very hard to find a phone without a single component not made in china, resistors, capacitors etc..

Yeah, the Chinese government has a lot of resistors, but they usually disappear after a while.

BanditLuke wrote:

This post isn't meant as an attack on the people of China but rather it's leadership and the direction it is taking as regards the destruction of the planet. We need to do better at addressing the issue for the good of us all.

OP, I'm curious... practically, and realistically speaking, what do you expect people and nations to do about China? Apart from complaining to each other, that is.

• Advertisement

OP, I'm curious... practically, and realistically speaking, what do you expect people and nations to do about China? Apart from complaining to each other, that is.

That's up to people far more clever than me pal.

Just trying to start a conversation yeah my post won't make a difference I'm just interested in the opinion of others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One good thing that hopefully comes outa this virus mess is the banning and closure of wild food markets. A change in their general farming practices would be a bonus. Damned near every single new strain of flu that hits us annually originates in China because of such practices. Hell, the Black Death that killed millions originated in China. The place is a factory for pandemics.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Wibbs wrote: »
    One good thing that hopefully comes outa this virus mess is the banning and closure of wild food markets. A change in their general farming practices would be a bonus. Damned near every single new strain of flu that hits us annually originates in China because of such practices. Hell, the Black Death that killed millions originated in China. The place is a factory for pandemics.

This pandemic will kill a fraction of the people that high fructose corn syrup does on an annual basis. Should we ban the US corn industry?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This pandemic will kill a fraction of the people that high fructose corn syrup does on an annual basis. Should we ban the US corn industry?
    I would.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'd also rip evil bastards like Monsanto to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

TallGlass2 wrote: »

Fun fact: An awful lot of capacitors come from El Salvador, it is one of the country's main exports.

Ill be sure to make my next anti-China post from a Raspberry pi

Possibly an option but this thread is about China. Last time i checked the US haven't got markets that sell dog, bat, rat meat etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Possibly an option but this thread is about China. Last time i checked the US haven't got markets that sell dog, bat, rat meat etc...

Luke is the new Vibes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Cordell

Chances are the device you are using to post this rant was made in China. Irony.

That is just because they are cheap and were smart enough to attract manufacturing of such devices, not because they invented them. Without them we will still have them devices, maybe more expensive or maybe not - there are other cheap manufacturing options.
    On the other hand, without the Americans....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Hell yes. Along with Monsanto, Big Tobacker and whatever the name is of those depraved fuckers that make cheese-like substance from a toothpaste tube.

• Advertisement

Luke is the new Vibes

?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Never heard of anyone eating rat meat. Well, except Genghis Khan, in his youth.

China has recently banned all markets for wild animal meat, which were regional oddities anyway. I've discussed this whole thing with a number of Chinese people who expressed much the same disgust at the idea of eating bat soup as anyone from this part of the world might.

The US also doesn't have tens of millions well below the poverty line. In many cases, the sale of such meat is for the very poor who can't afford the higher costs associated with mainstream meats/foods. The cost of living, especially in the cities, has risen dramatically over the last decade. There's a lot made about them "uplifting" people out of poverty, but it's mostly a PR campaign. There's far more who were never lifted out of poverty, or those who were lifted out but have since slid back into it.

I'm not seeking to defend the practice of eating such meats, nor am I defending China for doing so. Hygiene standards in China are seriously revolting in many areas, and there is a resistance by many traditional Chinese to becoming more healthy/safe in the preparation and storing of food. Never mind, the habits of coughing up and spitting just about everywhere.

I do think it's slightly unfair to single out China for their eating habits regarding these kinds of animals though. I've never heard of people complaining about Africans eating Bat or rodents, which they do. Same with snake in many other countries such as India. The point is that if we're going to push to for such meats not to be eaten, it should be applied to everywhere so that a general repugnance is formed about it.

The Chinese government has issued laws against the sale and eating of many exotic animals or dangerous food sources, such as bats... but China is incredibly corrupt. Many people from high to low will simply ignore the laws believing them safe from prosecution, either because of ignorance, or the use of bribes. So, there needs to be more done to reduce the risk.. and that means changing peoples minds/perception on the subject.. which is already happening, to an extent, due to the Virus, and online chats by Chinese people.

But singling out China is not going to work. Chinese people are extremely defensive to the point of being retarded about it. Making them lose face over such a thing will simply put them in a corner, and they'll refuse to change. Think of them as a small child... Being forceful will just make them sulk, and act out regardless of logic. A more diplomatic/patient approach is required, rather than demands and accusations. Especially when they can point to such practices happening in other parts of the world. Which they can. The logical objection of pointing out all the diseases originating out of China won't work...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

mikhail wrote: »
    Never heard of anyone eating rat meat...

Rat, bat, dog or possum, it matters not one whit the type of meat, but the manner in which it is produced and processed. If our good ol' rashers were produced in the same way as a lot of that Chinese flea-market stuff a lot of people would shit themselves thin very fast, courtesy of E. Coli, and not to mention all manner of hitherto unheard-of virii. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

We should shut down our borders to those of whom there’s too many. If they’re a detriment to themselves I can’t imagine we’d last too long in their wake

One good thing that hopefully comes outa this virus mess is the banning and closure of wild food markets.

I'm skeptical TBH. Entirely depends on how forceful the Ch government decides to be. The amount of corruption/money involved in this industry is staggering... Oh, they'll make laws, they'll enforce them (somewhat), single out some choice examples for public justice, but it'll continue underground.
    A change in their general farming practices would be a bonus.

That's not going to happen, and it will just get worse, because they're having to satisfy a growing appetite for after-famine mentality eating habits. Gorging themselves, and they have lovely role models when watching Americans getting more and more obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The US also doesn't have tens of millions well below the poverty line. In many cases, the sale of such meat is for the very poor who can't afford the higher costs associated with mainstream meats/foods. The cost of living, especially in the cities, has risen dramatically over the last decade. There's a lot made about them "uplifting" people out of poverty, but it's mostly a PR campaign. There's far more who were never lifted out of poverty, or those who were lifted out but have since slid back into it.

I'm not seeking to defend the practice of eating such meats, nor am I defending China for doing so. Hygiene standards in China are seriously revolting in many areas, and there is a resistance by many traditional Chinese to becoming more healthy/safe in the preparation and storing of food. Never mind, the habits of coughing up and spitting just about everywhere.

I do think it's slightly unfair to single out China for their eating habits regarding these kinds of animals though. I've never heard of people complaining about Africans eating Bat or rodents, which they do. Same with snake in many other countries such as India. The point is that if we're going to push to for such meats not to be eaten, it should be applied to everywhere so that a general repugnance is formed about it.

The Chinese government has issued laws against the sale and eating of many exotic animals or dangerous food sources, such as bats... but China is incredibly corrupt. Many people from high to low will simply ignore the laws believing them safe from prosecution, either because of ignorance, or the use of bribes. So, there needs to be more done to reduce the risk.. and that means changing peoples minds/perception on the subject.. which is already happening, to an extent, due to the Virus, and online chats by Chinese people.

But singling out China is not going to work. Chinese people are extremely defensive to the point of being retarded about it. Making them lose face over such a thing will simply put them in a corner, and they'll refuse to change. Think of them as a small child... Being forceful will just make them sulk, and act out regardless of logic. A more diplomatic/patient approach is required, rather than demands and accusations. Especially when they can point to such practices happening in other parts of the world. Which they can. The logical objection of pointing out all the diseases originating out of China won't work...

Ah here. You can't be coming on here posting sense.

Ah here. You can't be coming on here posting sense.

It's fine.. those who want to rant will simply filter out or reinterpret what I said to suit themselves. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I'd also rip evil bastards like Monsanto to shreds.
    And those scummy f*ckers DuPont as well. There's a film out atm based on their exploits called Dark Waters, highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Cordell

mikhail wrote: »
    Never heard of anyone eating rat meat
    They eat every animal that walks under the Sun.
    And the ones that don't too.

Advertisement