Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

kn wrote: »
    They have a couple of hand sanitisers on a table inside the door of the Tesco by the square but there is no monitoring and no one says to use it. I do both in and out but I am definitely in a small minority in that store.

You're better off using your own hand sanitisers cos you know whats in it. The spray bottles in some places look a bit dubious as in it might not be 65%+ alcohol hand gel they are topping them up with.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Forge83 wrote: »
    Surely there is nobody supervising green/red traffic lights. Stop/go automatic signs need 1 operator, not two. That’s one person per road works minimum removed.

As for the cranes, they are done at night hence why nobody sees them.

Alas, to follow your advise would put the council in breach of health & safety legislation and very rightly so.

I'm well aware the cranes are transported late at night, hence why I don't usually see them. I was asking if they still take the same route through town as they always did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    That a fantastic news for Tralee that it now becomes a university town!

Its been a long time in the making! I graduated from IT Tralee in 2001 and they were talking about it before then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I've given up to be honest. I am the only owner in there who makes an effort in the place. I am sick of asking the owners I do chat to if they could do this or that. No one does anything anymore. Its been a pain of an estate since we moved here in 2005. I tried to set up a committee, people couldn't be bothered to respond to messages. Some turned up to the few meetings we had, but didn't bother to do anything the promised they would do.

I am the only one who reports street lights out, the place would be in darkness otherwise. I powerwashed the path on the road outside our house recently, I killed weeds off around the road verge, but it doesn't seem to occur to anyone else to even do the same outside their own properties. I cut back our hedge over the wall of next door, and they seemed shocked to see me doing it recently then felt a bit guilty as their tree is seriously overhanging into our drive. But not guilty enough to do a thing about it.
    There's only so much you can keep doing on your own! I don't know who signed the estate over to the council to maintain, but they cut the grass and its great that they do. I know we are lucky! I won't be wasting my time to get a grant for ride on lawn mower and have to do all the dogs work to get someone to help with it etc. I really can't wait to sell up and move, the sooner the better!

If their tree is overhanging you can legally cut it back to the boundary, only thing you have to do is return the cuttings to them as they own them. Fire them over the fence to them when done

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

g1983d wrote: »
    If their tree is overhanging you can legally cut it back to the boundary, only thing you have to do is return the cuttings to them as they own them. Fire them over the fence to them when done

I have tried cutting some bits, but its hard to get to. I will probably end up having to pay someone to do it! I am very conscious of my trees, bushes etc being too over grown over neighbours walls and we try to make a conscious effort to cut them back as much as we can. I just wish others did the same! Its frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I have tried cutting some bits, but its hard to get to. I will probably end up having to pay someone to do it! I am very conscious of my trees, bushes etc being too over grown over neighbours walls and we try to make a conscious effort to cut them back as much as we can. I just wish others did the same! Its frustrating!

People will break your heart, all you can do is have low expectations 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

bobdcow wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere that Pa Daly wants the council just to do the verges and leave the body/majority of the grass alone along the road sides - to promote wild flowers and the benefits they bring with them...bees etc.

(I think it was Pa Daly, can't be sure about that, apologies if I'm wrong on the name)

I think it was Cathal Foley, SF councilor. I like the idea to be honest.

Anybody know what the story is with the giant white letter F on the mountain over tonevane is about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mitchelsontour

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Anybody know what the story is with the giant white letter F on the mountain over tonevane is about?

From what I know it's in memory of someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

An Bord Pleanala has refused for a second time Michael Healy Rae's application to convert the old Nancy Myles pub in Ballymullen into apartments. I wonder what he'll do with the place now!

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0527/1143015-healy-rae-pub/

An Bord Pleanala has refused for a second time Michael Healy Rae's application to convert the old Nancy Myles pub in Ballymullen into apartments. I wonder what he'll do with the place now!

Yeah, am absolutely over the moon with that decision! :)

Common sense prevails

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

How long has that unit been vacant and rundown? 10 years plus?
    Would rather it was put to use as apartments than lying there derelict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Have people not learned from the debacle in Cahirciveen?

more like tenements given his record

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Nancy Myles was a great bar in its day but the smoking ban killed it, then it built up a good lunch trade only for a nearby competitor with connections in the council getting barriers installed on the footpaths around it making it impossible for customers to park.
    At least it would have provided a home for someone and there are far too many homeless

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sos88sos88

pickled101 wrote:
    Nancy Myles was a great bar in its day but the smoking ban killed it, then it built up a good lunch trade only for a nearby competitor with connections in the council getting barriers installed on the footpaths around it making it impossible for customers to park. At least it would have provided a home for someone and there are far too many homeless

Have to agree. This great town of ours is pretty funny. People complain about lack of housing. Then bash someone who is providing a solution. The building has been empty for years. Really dont get peoples attitude at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I wouldn't actually consider MH-R to be an advocate for the homeless. He has no record pushing for development of affordable housing.

He is a millionaire and owns a lot of investments and properties around the county.
    I respect people's choice for their elected members of the Dail, but I disagree with him being best for the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Masks in Town:

I am asking about their availability, pricing and any reviews. The stuff online appears to be Chinese rubbish with very bad ratings. I seen Horan's Health store advertising them but no pricing. Could posters please post up where they have come across them in town, pricing and a review if they are using them. Cheers.

PS the reusable masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Masks in Town:

I am asking about their availability, pricing and any reviews. The stuff online appears to be Chinese rubbish with very bad ratings. I seen Horan's Health store advertising them but no pricing. Could posters please post up where they have come across them in town, pricing and a review if they are using them. Cheers.

PS the reusable masks.

Good selection in Homesavers in Manor yesterday,

can't remember the pricing but they were on the left after you go through the barrier in store.

pickled101 wrote: »
    Nancy Myles was a great bar in its day but the smoking ban killed it, then it built up a good lunch trade only for a nearby competitor with connections in the council getting barriers installed on the footpaths around it making it impossible for customers to park.
    At least it would have provided a home for someone and there are far too many homeless

Who said he was building them to provide for the homeless? His original plan was to squeeze 9 bedsits into the building which would basically be a tenement slum

The Healey Raes look out for the Healey Raes, everything else is just a sideshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Masks in Town:

PS the reusable masks.
    I've seen on Facebook Ger Healy upholstery has reusable cotton masks in various sizes for sale with all proceeds going to SVP.

I got a reusable cotton mask in Leahys Pharmacy in Oakpark a few weeks back which was pay what you feel as a donation. I did not see them in there the last time I was in though.

Sos88sos88 wrote: »
    Have to agree. This great town of ours is pretty funny. People complain about lack of housing. Then bash someone who is providing a solution. The building has been empty for years. Really dont get peoples attitude at times.
    A solution to what? I'm not seeing a lack of housing in Tralee. Not far from Nancy Myles, there's a large unfinished apartment block that's been a vacent shell for over a decade now.

And there are many premises in the town centre with derelict upper floors crying out for residential occupation too.

Masks in Town:

PS the reusable masks.

I saw that Maddens (the little back road behind CH chemist) are selling reusable masks.

Horan's Health have them on their website, €4-€5 each https://horanshealth.ie/114-wellnessimmune-support

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

What's the story with those Geraldine apartments? I mean if you are going to start cramming asylum seekers in anywhere then that place would be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭phormium

They were turned into storage years ago by Kerry Group, no longer functioning apartments.

Sully34 wrote: »
    What's the story with those Geraldine apartments? I mean if you are going to start cramming asylum seekers in anywhere then that place would be ideal
    Geraldine apartments??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Quackster wrote: »
    Geraldine apartments??

That brown brick place downhill from the low field

Advertisement