Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Garvey's won't let you in without sanitizing..they actually have people on the front and back doors most of the day

Walked in the Rock St entrance a number of times and was never stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Do any of the supermarkets or town centre shops sell weed killer?

PS no I did not get this as a tip from Trump as a Covid 19 vaccine!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kn wrote: »

Dealz do have the small ones, but I don’t find them very good, even on small weeds. Best bet is to go to Kellihers in rock street. They are bound to have better stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Dealz do have the small ones, but I don’t find them very good, even on small weeds. Best bet is to go to Kellihers in rock street. They are bound to have better stuff.

Good weed killer is licenced as far I know, there was a thing a few years ago where you had to go in a course to be allowed spray.
    Stuff in shops like dealz I'd imagine is closer to water.
    If you dont have a huge area maybe one of them yokes for burning the weeds might work better? Lidl have then every now and then.

On hand sanitiser, I dont see the issue, do people just not like being told to do something rather than the issue actually being putting on hand sanitiser, nobody is forcing people to go to these stores and I'm sure the store will survive without them.
    I know the hand sanitiser being used in Supervalu is being made locally by a company in Farranfore and it has moisturiser in it to help protect the hands.

As far knowing anyone here, wouldnt have a clue and I suspect nobody here knows me either

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Does anyone know if the council have resumed grass cutting in estates etc? I think they may have started the grass verges along the roads as the road along Dromtacker did seem to be done when I drove that way on Sunday. They don't seem to have started the estates I don't think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭phormium

I agree that the weedkiller you can buy now over the counter is fairly useless, I have one of the weed burning things and good fun to a certain extent but doesn't do much of a job either, wouldn't want to have many.

Re the sanitiser I always have my own but went into two shops yesterday and as there was some by the door I used it, omfg it stung like mad! Now I might have a few very small scrapes/cuts from gardening but my own stuff that I put on in the car beforehand doesn't sting at all. I think in future I'd prefer to wear gloves and sanitise them going in as obviously it's strong stuff which is good but I wanted to dunk my hands in water to stop the stinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Given whats going on I don't think its too much to ask to sanitize your hands entering a place of business .

I think is been proven time and time again Some people are utter morons and have to he herded through life . We cant simply just assume oh maybe they did it in the car.

phormium wrote: »
    I agree that the weedkiller you can buy now over the counter is fairly useless, I have one of the weed burning things and good fun to a certain extent but doesn't do much of a job either, wouldn't want to have many.

Re the sanitiser I always have my own but went into two shops yesterday and as there was some by the door I used it, omfg it stung like mad! Now I might have a few very small scrapes/cuts from gardening but my own stuff that I put on in the car beforehand doesn't sting at all. I think in future I'd prefer to wear gloves and sanitise them going in as obviously it's strong stuff which is good but I wanted to dunk my hands in water to stop the stinging.

It probably has a high alcohol content. the one I used which stung me had a very high alcohol content!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Does anyone know if the council have resumed grass cutting in estates etc? I think they may have started the grass verges along the roads as the road along Dromtacker did seem to be done when I drove that way on Sunday. They don't seem to have started the estates I don't think.

I don’t have the answer but I do have a question/suggestion in relation to it after my mini rant.
    In my opinion we are an extremely inefficient country when it comes to county councils. 2 guys wasted at Every road work stops in the county when we should be using automated lights and signs. The weekly wages wasted is mind boggling. We all remember the huge machinery maintenance bills for clapped out machinery which could have been bought new several times over that was reported in the paper last year.
    A council worker was telling me it’s triple time to do the night time removal of traffic lights etc for the Lieber cranes for a few hours and they even struggle to get staff to do it for that.

Anyway, as for council estate grass. Is it not possible to make the residents responsible for cutting the grass? Or pay into a fund like a lot of private estates do for an outside contractor. There may be a valid reason this can’t be done but it seems wasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

Outdoor workers went back to work last Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I've seen the council work on Rath graveyard cutting the grass and verges - a good job being done as it has been over grown for weeks. The lads on the scheme seem to look after the front of it by the houses.

I have seen a County Council tractor with a grass cutter on the back driving around - but not into our estate - we pay a yearly sub for the flowers and grass cutting is done privately by a resident, he has a ride on and gets a few bob from the kitty when he cuts it.

Our estate is very pro active in looking after the area, regular sweeps, planting of flowers in common areas etc...

Not all estates are done by the council obviously, ours happens to be cut by the council. Our estate is primarily rented, and very few owners. No one cares about the estate, literally tried and tried to get people to do things and its impossible. I have gone around single handed with a bag to pick up rubbish around the estate as its just dumped by various kids etc. Most of the owners of the rented properties don't live in Tralee, let alone in Ireland. Whenever we have tried to contact them we get nowhere or the estate agent doesn't get back to us. We tried to set up a committee it was a waste of time. So getting people to pay for it to be done would be even more of a waste of time. Most of the Rented properties here are rarely looked after by the landlords, the gardens are overgrown, the weeds are ridiculous. The one next door to me is an eyesore and the landlord doesn't seem to care anymore. I used to rent and I always cut the grass where we lived or did the weeding etc. I know many tenants do the same, but a lot don't seem to bother.

The green area where I live is too big to do with a push mower, and it would most likely just be me who ends up doing it, which I do not have time for. The council took charge of the lighting and grass cutting at some point which I wasn't aware of until I looked into it a few years after we moved in here. They do cut it regularly during the summer months, but its so bad at the moment. Im sure they will do it in the next week or two. I was just wondering had they started back again.

We would have loved to move by now, but it hasn't been possible. We hope to be able to sell up in the next year or so. I hate living in the estate I live in. I grew up in a quiet cul-de-sac and as much as I always wanted to live in an estate when I was a kid/teen as I found it boring where we lived, I now wish I lived in a quiet area again!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Forge83 wrote: »
    I don’t have the answer but I do have a question/suggestion in relation to it after my mini rant.
    In my opinion we are an extremely inefficient country when it comes to county councils. 2 guys wasted at Every road work stops in the county when we should be using automated lights and signs. The weekly wages wasted is mind boggling. We all remember the huge machinery maintenance bills for clapped out machinery which could have been bought new several times over that was reported in the paper last year.
    A council worker was telling me it’s triple time to do the night time removal of traffic lights etc for the Lieber cranes for a few hours and they even struggle to get staff to do it for that.

Anyway, as for council estate grass. Is it not possible to make the residents responsible for cutting the grass? Or pay into a fund like a lot of private estates do for an outside contractor. There may be a valid reason this can’t be done but it seems wasteful.
    There are positives and negatives to signal-controlled stop/go systems and the health & safety environment means that they still need human supervision and perhaps a convoy car.

Manual stop/go systems are very handy in providing extra eyes to monitor traffic flow and can of course constantly adjust timings in reaction to changes in said traffic flow.

On Liebherr, are the cranes still coming through the town? Haven't seen one in transit in a long time. The NRR will make a big difference in terms of rerouting them around town. Here's hoping covid doesn't delay the imminent sod-turning!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

kn wrote: »

Not town centre but mr price have a very good glyphosate weedkiller, its Hoff brand, its a sachet in a box and you add water to dilute it.

Estates are good craic growing up - there was always someone to play with in the summer - the long summer evenings, I've very fond memories of them

Quackster wrote: »
    There are positives and negatives to signal-controlled stop/go systems and the health & safety environment means that they still need human supervision and perhaps a convoy car.

Manual stop/go systems are very handy in providing extra eyes to monitor traffic flow and can of course constantly adjust timings in reaction to changes in said traffic flow.

On Liebherr, are the cranes still coming through the town? Haven't seen one in transit in a long time. The NRR will make a big difference in terms of rerouting them around town. Here's hoping covid doesn't delay the imminent sod-turning!

Surely there is nobody supervising green/red traffic lights. Stop/go automatic signs need 1 operator, not two. That’s one person per road works minimum removed.

As for the cranes, they are done at night hence why nobody sees them.

bobdcow wrote: »
    Estates are good craic growing up - there was always someone to play with in the summer - the long summer evenings, I've very fond memories of them

I'm sure they are, I always wanted to live in one growing up. I just hate the estate we currently live in!

Not all estates are done by the council obviously, ours happens to be cut by the council. Our estate is primarily rented, and very few owners. No one cares about the estate, literally tried and tried to get people to do things and its impossible. I have gone around single handed with a bag to pick up rubbish around the estate as its just dumped by various kids etc. Most of the owners of the rented properties don't live in Tralee, let alone in Ireland. Whenever we have tried to contact them we get nowhere or the estate agent doesn't get back to us. We tried to set up a committee it was a waste of time. So getting people to pay for it to be done would be even more of a waste of time. Most of the Rented properties here are rarely looked after by the landlords, the gardens are overgrown, the weeds are ridiculous. The one next door to me is an eyesore and the landlord doesn't seem to care anymore. I used to rent and I always cut the grass where we lived or did the weeding etc. I know many tenants do the same, but a lot don't seem to bother.

The green area where I live is too big to do with a push mower, and it would most likely just be me who ends up doing it, which I do not have time for. The council took charge of the lighting and grass cutting at some point which I wasn't aware of until I looked into it a few years after we moved in here. They do cut it regularly during the summer months, but its so bad at the moment. Im sure they will do it in the next week or two. I was just wondering had they started back again.

We would have loved to move by now, but it hasn't been possible. We hope to be able to sell up in the next year or so. I hate living in the estate I live in. I grew up in a quiet cul-de-sac and as much as I always wanted to live in an estate when I was a kid/teen as I found it boring where we lived, I now wish I lived in a quiet area again!

The issue is that it shouldn’t be your responsibility to sort out organising it. It’s the councils. Bill every home owner or council tenant and get an outside company in.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

How come people are still cutting verges - I thought that was a thing of the past.
    I remember driving through Cork last year seeing all the lovely wild flowers they had growing. Much nicer than the previous 'scorched earth' policy.
    (I know that these verges have to be planned and seeded with the 'right' plants - but well worth the effort in my opinion)

How come people are still cutting verges - I thought that was a thing of the past.
    I remember driving through Cork last year seeing all the lovely wild flowers they had growing. Much nicer than the previous 'scorched earth' policy.
    (I know that these verges have to be planned and seeded with the 'right' plants - but well worth the effort in my opinion)

It would be nice if they did have wild flowers!

• Advertisement

Forge83 wrote: »
    The issue is that it shouldn’t be your responsibility to sort out organising it. It’s the councils. Bill every home owner or council tenant and get an outside company in.

or have it included in the property tax!?

Did I read somewhere that Pa Daly wants the council just to do the verges and leave the body/majority of the grass alone along the road sides - to promote wild flowers and the benefits they bring with them...bees etc.

(I think it was Pa Daly, can't be sure about that, apologies if I'm wrong on the name)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

or have it included in the property tax!?

I'm not paying for your grass verge.

I'm not paying for your grass verge.

I don't have a grass verge! If I had, I'd cut my own! And I don't expect you to pay for it...:rolleyes:

I might be wrong, but I think the property tax already covers the council cutting grass etc....so you do pay for it ;)

are the days long gone when a lad would go around the estates/houses and cut the grass for a pound or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I don't have a grass verge! If I had, I'd cut my own! And I don't expect you to pay for it...:rolleyes:

The upkeep of a property, whether it is owned or rented, is a good community spirited thing to do. I would gladly agree to my property tax going to it. It is not just to make it nice and visually pleasant, it is evidence of good neighbourly relations.
    It is also a sign of self-respect, People who care about their homes and areas are good neighbours.

The upkeep of a property, whether it is owned or rented, is a good community spirited thing to do. I would gladly agree to my property tax going to it. It is not just to make it nice and visually pleasant, it is evidence of good neighbourly relations.
    It is also a sign of self-respect, People who care about their homes and areas are good neighbours.

I agree! I wish more in our estate felt the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

I’d imagine private estates will be last on the list visited by the council. You are quite lucky it’s being done as there is no obligation on the council to do it. When a council takes over an estate it is only the “hard maintenance” they are responsible for lighting footpaths road surface sewage etc the “soft maintenance” grass weeds etc is up to the estate to maintain.

We contribute €100 per year for a private company to do a number of cuts per year along with weed spraying, tree care, power washing etc.

They place always looks really well to be fair and is well worth the money.

We also as residents keep on top of our own patches in terms of litter etc.

We also have a number or properties that are rented some are owned and rented by the council.

We have a very good residents committee who have no issue chasing down stingy landlords tenants or owners for the annual fee.

Edit to add that as far as I’m aware you can get funding from the council for an estate to purchase a ride on and other equipment to help maintain the green areas. Might be worth looking into.

Clab mor wrote: »
    I’d imagine private estates will be last on the list visited by the council. You are quite lucky it’s being done as there is no obligation on the council to do it. When a council takes over an estate it is only the “hard maintenance” they are responsible for lighting footpaths road surface sewage etc the “soft maintenance” grass weeds etc is up to the estate to maintain.

We contribute €100 per year for a private company to do a number of cuts per year along with weed spraying, tree care, power washing etc.

They place always looks really well to be fair and is well worth the money.

We also as residents keep on top of our own patches in terms of litter etc.

We also have a number or properties that are rented some are owned and rented by the council.

We have a very good residents committee who have no issue chasing down stingy landlords tenants or owners for the annual fee.

Edit to add that as far as I’m aware you can get funding from the council for an estate to purchase a ride on and other equipment to help maintain the green areas. Might be worth looking into.

I've given up to be honest. I am the only owner in there who makes an effort in the place. I am sick of asking the owners I do chat to if they could do this or that. No one does anything anymore. Its been a pain of an estate since we moved here in 2005. I tried to set up a committee, people couldn't be bothered to respond to messages. Some turned up to the few meetings we had, but didn't bother to do anything the promised they would do.

I am the only one who reports street lights out, the place would be in darkness otherwise. I powerwashed the path on the road outside our house recently, I killed weeds off around the road verge, but it doesn't seem to occur to anyone else to even do the same outside their own properties. I cut back our hedge over the wall of next door, and they seemed shocked to see me doing it recently then felt a bit guilty as their tree is seriously overhanging into our drive. But not guilty enough to do a thing about it.
    There's only so much you can keep doing on your own! I don't know who signed the estate over to the council to maintain, but they cut the grass and its great that they do. I know we are lucky! I won't be wasting my time to get a grant for ride on lawn mower and have to do all the dogs work to get someone to help with it etc. I really can't wait to sell up and move, the sooner the better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

I needed to go into Mr. Price today but the queue was too long and I couldn't be bothered. I'm in agony with a bad back at the moment, so standing in a queue isn't something I can even do for a long time.

I'd say the coming bank holiday monday early would be a good time to go.

Advertisement