Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

jo06555 wrote: »
    OK thanks but im sure the bigger the bike the harder or more expensive to insure? Does the A license cover all bikes ?

Yes the category A permit covers all bikes.

But just because you have the permit, does not mean any insurer will cover you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Honestandy

i have my eye on a nice A1 type bike at the moment,a yamaha xt 125,but not sure if i would want to go for the A1 test,since it does limit things somewhat. say for arguements sake i pass my A1 test, does anyone know the quickest route up to cat A, is it just IBT module 5? could i skip cat A2 then have to do another test for cat A? or is it a test for A2, wait couple of years,then module 5 for A? is there any other way around all this? sorry for all the questions, just finding it hard to make a decision on what my first bike will be, thanks

Honestandy wrote: »
    i have my eye on a nice A1 type bike at the moment,a yamaha xt 125,but not sure if i would want to go for the A1 test,since it does limit things somewhat. say for arguements sake i pass my A1 test, does anyone know the quickest route up to cat A, is it just IBT module 5? could i skip cat A2 then have to do another test for cat A? or is it a test for A2, wait couple of years,then module 5 for A? is there any other way around all this? sorry for all the questions, just finding it hard to make a decision on what my first bike will be, thanks

What age are you? If over 18 but under 24 go for an A2 Learner Permit and do IBT for that category. Then get whatever bike you want that is within or even below that category. Get a 125 if that's what you're comfortable with for now. You may find during IBT that you are comfortable on a bike that is at 35kw.

If over 24, get an A Learner Permit and do IBT for that category and then get any bike you feel comfortable with.

If you are under 18, get an A1 Learner Permit and get a 125.

The first bike you get has only a small amount to do with your licence. Get the highest category licence you can get, and just get whatever bike you feel comfortable with that falls under the restrictions of that licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Honestandy

What age are you? If over 18 but under 24 go for an A2 Learner Permit and do IBT for that category. Then get whatever bike you want that is within or even below that category. Get a 125 if that's what you're comfortable with for now. You may find during IBT that you are comfortable on a bike that is at 35kw.

If over 24, get an A Learner Permit and do IBT for that category and then get any bike you feel comfortable with.

If you are under 18, get an A1 Learner Permit and get a 125.

The first bike you get has only a small amount to do with your licence. Get the highest category licence you can get, and just get whatever bike you feel comfortable with that falls under the restrictions of that licence.

Im 30, did the IBT but to be honest i felt most comfortable on the A2 bike,a 500cc,i was actually checking out the honda bros 400cc,i like the look of them but seems hard to come by a decent one still in good condition, are they known to be reliable bikes? if i do end up getting one of them i would be content with going for the test on it and settling for an A2 licence, the ultimate goal is a ninja 300!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

What type of bike is usually used for IBT training for A category?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

jo06555 wrote: »
    What type of bike is usually used for IBT training for A category?

Usually it will be a 600cc 4-cylinder bike such as a Suzuki Bandit, Yamaha Fazer or Honda Hornet.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Hi guys,

I've been a long time lurker here and I'm interested in getting a bike. I'm 23 now and from looking at the licencing and IBT and I've decided to hold on until next Feb when I'll be 24 as I don't see the point in getting the A2 LP/FL and then having to redo Module 5 of the IBT to move up costing another ~€400.

At least having a few months before I can get my LP I have plenty of time to save up and get helmet, boots, etc. Is there such a thing as overkill when it comes to all the safety equipment or should you pay as much as you can even for ordinary street riding?

These are the helmets, boots, gloves I've been looking at. If anyone has any experience with them it would be great.

Helmets:

Shoei NXR
    Shoei GT Air

Shark Race R Pro
    Shark Vision R

Boots:

AStars S-MX6
    AStars S-MX Plus

Gloves:

AStars SP-8
    AStars GP Plus

I'm not sure if I should be looking at leather or textile jackets as I'm not sure how much protection textile jackets provide so if someone could enlighten me on the differences it would be great.

I understand you can't ride unsupervised on the road until you have the IBT complete but why doesn't the insurance companies ask this when giving you quotes?
    Also if I bought a bike and used it for the IBT would I need my own insurance when taking it on the road or would the instructors insurance cover you? The reason I ask this is if you need your own insurance then you won't have time to do the assessments to get any further discounts. So am I better off doing it on the instructors bike?

I've gotten quotes off liberty for the following:
    2010 Fazer 600: €663
    2004 SV650: €618
    2008 Ninja 250r: €583

I've read somewhere but can't remember where that the SV650 won't be suitable for the A class test. Is this true? It seems to pass the requirements of 50kW and weight.

I didn't know if I should have created a new thread or not but if the mods want to move it feel free.

The absolute best helmet in the world... is the one that fits you perfectly. There is literally no point in just looking at the best brands and coolest looking helmets, because if the one you want doesn't fit you it can do more damage than good if the worst happens.

For the rest of the gear. I advise buying the best you can afford. But most expensive isn't always the best. Leathers are great for summer, but in winter will get really really cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

Will someone please give me a ballpark figure for what insurance would cost me on a 125cc motorcycle after I do an IBT?

I'm 26 and have some experience driving a moped when I was younger. Just a ballpark figure. Am I looking at less than €1000? Less then €500?

Thanks.

3rd Party fire and Theft - 450.
    Fully Comp - 800.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

I have a full car driving licence, do I still need to do an eyesight test for my first learner permit for a bike?

Just got my theory test today I cannot wait to get a bike :D

I didn't have to but I got mine before the tax office stopped doing them.

Here, bottom of the page, you should be ok:
    http://www.ndls.ie/en/learner-permit/how-to-apply.html
    Where you hold a full licence but are now applying for a learner permit in a different category particular, you must submit:

A fully completed NDLS "Application Form for a Learner Permit"
    The appropriate fee
    Your current full licence
    Theory Test certificate if required
    CPC Certificate of Professional Competency (if applicable)
    A completed NDLS Medical report form if required in your case
    Evidence of PPSN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Just booked my motorbike/moped theory test for 19th july on the Dtt website so I need to get studying.

I was wondering wheres the best place to get the theory book and cd-rom? I have an easons near by to me would they have the up to date one?

Also how many questions are in the theory test now? Is it still 40 and you have to get 35 right?

Im 26 and its 8 years now since I done my car theory so just wondering is it a similar set up?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Just booked my motorbike/moped theory test for 19th july on the Dtt website so I need to get studying.

I was wondering wheres the best place to get the theory book and cd-rom? I have an easons near by to me would they have the up to date one?

Also how many questions are in the theory test now? Is it still 40 and you have to get 35 right?

Im 26 and its 8 years now since I done my car theory so just wondering is it a similar set up?

Thanks in advance

I just passed mine this week, its answer 35 out of 40 correctly, and the book will cost you €20. I didn't bother with the CD rom. Most of the questions are common sense, and if you have already passed it before for the car then you wont have to study too hard for the bike one.

Sticky questions you should study are stopping distances in wet/dry, thread tyre depth and some of the lesser know road signs.

One hand signal in a car question came up as well by the way, dont know why that stuff is still included.

Thanks southtipbass much appreciated.

When I pass my theory test I then apply for my learner permit and then have to an ibt course before I can insure a motorbike is it?

Im 26 with no motorbike experience so I was wondering what class of licence will I get when getting permit A A1 or A2?

I would like to start off on maybe an nsr 125 for a year to get a years no claims under my belt then maybe get a bigger bike.
    Will I be able to do this after my ibt on provisional or is there anything I need to know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,465 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

One hand signal in a car question came up as well by the way, dont know why that stuff is still included.

If you see a car driver giving a hand signal, you need to know what it means.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭sonyvision

When I pass my theory test I then apply for my learner permit and then have to an ibt course before I can insure a motorbike is it?

Im 26 with no motorbike experience so I was wondering what class of licence will I get when getting permit A A1 or A2?

I would like to start off on maybe an nsr 125 for a year to get a years no claims under my belt then maybe get a bigger bike.
    Will I be able to do this after my ibt on provisional or is there anything I need to know?

Hi im in the same boat. Just passed my theory test im waiting till april next year when im 24 to apply for an A category license through direct route.

I purchase a bandit 600cc last week and im insurance is 333.35 third party with no bike experience.

I got this through liberty insurance as i have 4 years no claims bonus with my car. They gave me addictional 4 years named experience on the bike because of this.

Hopes this helps you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Theory test > Learner permit > IBT > Purchase and insure your bike.

I'm not the best person to advise you on which license or bike to get, I only just about know what I'm doing myself. At 26, you can apply for your full A right now, but to do the test you will need a much bigger bike. Something you may not be comfortable with if you have no previous riding experience. But is it a waste of time and money to go for a lower license and bike if it means you will have to do another test for your full license a few years later? Confusing? You bet.

Best person to ask all these questions is your IBT instructor.

Can you get insured without an ibt?
    Do your insurance company look for your ibt certificate before they insure you?
    Or is it a case of the gardai will prosecute you for being on the road without you doing an ibt?

Also is the dtt site the only place to get the theory book or can you get it in easons and the likes?

Thanks guys its all very confusing etting tue head around the bike licence

• Advertisement

Can you get insured without an ibt?
    Do your insurance company look for your ibt certificate before they insure you?
    Or is it a case of the gardai will prosecute you for being on the road without you doing an ibt?

Also is the dtt site the only place to get the theory book or can you get it in easons and the likes?

Thanks guys its all very confusing etting tue head around the bike licence

Yes you can get insured without IBT, but your insurance will specify that you must have valid licence to be covered, which your licence will not be unless you have IBT done.

And the Gardai can prosecute you if caught without IBT done.

Easons should sell it.

Yes you can get insured without IBT, but your insurance will specify that you must have valid licence to be covered, which your licence will not be unless you have IBT done.

And the Gardai can prosecute you if caught without IBT done.

Easons should sell it.

Thanks for reply so ibt will have to be done either way I guess.

Would you recommend a suzuki bandit 600 or cbr 250rr starting off at 26 years of age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Thanks for reply so ibt will have to be done either way I guess.

Would you recommend a suzuki bandit 600 or cbr 250rr starting off at 26 years of age?
    I had a bandit at 22 years of age,would definitely recommend them :D

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    I had a bandit at 22 years of age,would definitely recommend them :D

Im guessing its alot easier to find an honest clean example aswell with the cbr 250 attracting the more younger wreckless rider.

Im guessing its alot easier to find an honest clean example aswell with the cbr 250 attracting the more younger wreckless rider.
    yes that is correct,the bandits are not as attractive to the younger speed demon than say a bandit!the one I had was immaculate,it only done 3000 km's in 4 years,the guy I bought it from became ill meaning he could no longer driver and it was garaged for about 2 years prior to the sale,i sold it on in the end regrettably,i vow to get another though they are a fantastic machine :D

yes that is correct,the bandits are not as attractive to the younger speed demon than say a bandit!the one I had was immaculate,it only done 3000 km's in 4 years,the guy I bought it from became ill meaning he could no longer driver and it was garaged for about 2 years prior to the sale,i sold it on in the end regrettably,i vow to get another though they are a fantastic machine :D

Ya it seems like the bandit is the wiser option since it would qualify for me to take to my full category A licence aswell wouldnt it?

• Advertisement

Ya it seems like the bandit is the wiser option since it would qualify for me to take to my full category A licence aswell wouldnt it?
    yup it would indeed,i'm getting another bandit to go for my full A also.

I have a bandit too...

Still waiting to turn 24 for my license would defo recommend it :)

sonyvision wrote: »
    I have a bandit too...

Still waiting to turn 24 for my license would defo recommend it :)
    i'm considering going for a 1200 bandit,if they'll insure me on a provisional licence that is!almost 29 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

For doing the IBT, what PPE of your own do you need to buy?

I know the requirement for the road (helmet, high vis with L on it, etc), and of course you'd be stupid not to get proper clothing, gloves and boots. But, what is needed just for the IBT?

Also, do you need your own bike for the driving test?

I have a full driver license (car) and would like to add a bike (A), but I am not fully sure yet if I want to go splash out and buy a bike. I'll apply for theory test shortly and then plan to find somewhere to do the IBT.

Paulw wrote: »
    For doing the IBT, what PPE of your own do you need to buy?

I know the requirement for the road (helmet, high vis with L on it, etc), and of course you'd be stupid not to get proper clothing, gloves and boots. But, what is needed just for the IBT?

Also, do you need your own bike for the driving test?

I have a full driver license (car) and would like to add a bike (A), but I am not fully sure yet if I want to go splash out and buy a bike. I'll apply for theory test shortly and then plan to find somewhere to do the IBT.

Talk to your instructor, most will have a selection of gear in various sizes to loan you and can supply everything you need on the day. Though of course it's nice to have your own stuff that fits properly etc. Though you'll learn about gear as part of your IBT, if you want to buy stuff beforehand have a chat to your instructor and I'm sure they'll be able to give you some advice.

You will be going on the road on your IBT so you know... it's full kit really whether it's the schools or your own.

Generally, you can also rent a school bike for the test. Though I don't think you'd be passing without some experience on your own bike.

• Advertisement

DubVelo wrote: »
    Though I don't think you'd be passing without some experience on your own bike.

While it's nice to know how to start it and move off, initial basic training is just that, designed to take someone alien to the concept of bikes and familiarise them enough to have them riding on the road.

If some 1 can clear this up for me it would be great. I am currently 23, I have a bandit 600. Im waiting till im 24 to apply for my Learners Permit so I will get an A category. I just checked this site

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%20B%20FAQ's%20Bikes.pdf

RSA FAQs, Can you check Question 5? it says after the January 2013 if you do not hold a learners permit you can not sit your test till your 24.

Does this mean I can still apply for my Learners Permit at the age of 23 and completed my IBT? then wait till im 24 for my test?

Or do i need to be 24 to apply for my A Learners Permit in the first place?

Thanks in advance :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

sonyvision wrote: »
    If some 1 can clear this up for me it would be great. I am currently 23, I have a bandit 600. Im waiting till im 24 to apply for my Learners Permit so I will get an A category. I just checked this site

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%20B%20FAQ's%20Bikes.pdf

RSA FAQs, Can you check Question 5? it says after the January 2013 if you do not hold a learners permit you can not sit your test till your 24.

Does this mean I can still apply for my Learners Permit at the age of 23 and completed my IBT? then wait till im 24 for my test?

Or do i need to be 24 to apply for my A Learners Permit in the first place?

Thanks in advance :confused:

you will need to wait until you are 24 to receive a category a unrestricted learner permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 airboos

I have a full UK driving licence. For obvious reasons I want to avoid changing over to an Irish car licence. If I want to add a motorbike onto my licence i could head up North but are there any options for getting a motorbike only Irish licence down here? Any implications if I was to get pulled over in a car if I had an Irish motorbike licence?

Cheers

airboos wrote: »
    I have a full UK driving licence. For obvious reasons I want to avoid changing over to an Irish car licence. If I want to add a motorbike onto my licence i could head up North but are there any options for getting a motorbike only Irish licence down here? Any implications if I was to get pulled over in a car if I had an Irish motorbike licence?

Cheers

You can have a separate car licence from there and a bike licence from here if you're now resident here. Both are valid across the EU.

If you happen to get pulled over at some point driving your car I'd suggest not confusing the issue and handing the Garda your bike licence :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

I'm hoping to get a bike soon and I have a few questions:

Could anyone recommend a good cruiser (first bike) for a beginner under 24 years old with an A2 license?

Approximately, how much would insurance on the above bike be for a beginner under 24 yrs old? Is it more than car insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

I drove a moped for 4 years on a provisional. In 2008 I got a full licence and have drove a car ever since. I want to get another moped now, just a 50cc. Do I have to take the test?

LG1234 wrote: »
    I drove a moped for 4 years on a provisional. In 2008 I got a full licence and have drove a car ever since. I want to get another moped now, just a 50cc. Do I have to take the test?
    If you held a full car licence before 19th October 2006 you'd have an entitlement to a full category AM,or M as it was known back then,but after that date you need to take the test for it,unless you do the full A then you'd get all the bike licence's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

HI..

Quick Question;

I have a valid EU (Dutch) license for M class (scooter up to 50CC)

I currently live in Ireland and would like to buy a scooter here. Can I drive on my EU license or are there special requirements? I have been looking around the web but the information somewhat confusing.

Also I can buy a good scooter but it does not have a logbook, it does have IE plates and am told I will not need to get MOT because of it. Obviously roadtax and insurance will be needed..

any info is appreciated, thanks!

paulheu wrote: »
    HI..

Quick Question;

I have a valid EU (Dutch) license for M class (scooter up to 50CC)

I currently live in Ireland and would like to buy a scooter here. Can I drive on my EU license or are there special requirements? I have been looking around the web but the information somewhat confusing.

Also I can buy a good scooter but it does not have a logbook, it does have IE plates and am told I will not need to get MOT because of it. Obviously roadtax and insurance will be needed..

any info is appreciated, thanks!

Yes, your EU license is valid anywhere in the EU for whatever category it says on it. Full licences now, not learner permits, they're only valid in the country where they've been issued.

I would never buy any vehicle without a logbook. Sometimes they do go missing and can be replaced but I would ask the seller to sort it out. Otherwise, no!

If your bike was legit and you knew you wanted to sell it and you knew you'd lost the logbook... why wouldn't you apply for a replacement...?

It's true, there's no NCT for bikes here. (MOT is UK road test.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,465 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Class M (now called AM) is limited to 50cc, but also to 45km/h, which is (a) suicidal on Irish roads and (b) most if not all 50cc machines here are not restricted, so you'll be riding beyond your licence.

Get a proper bike licence, it's worth the effort.

Don't buy any bike without all the documentation being in order, don't believe any promises from the seller.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

If you held a full car licence before 19th October 2006 you'd have an entitlement to a full category AM,or M as it was known back then,but after that date you need to take the test for it,unless you do the full A then you'd get all the bike licence's

Do you still have to do the theory test again if you have your license before 2006?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭muddle84

Hello all. I really want to get on a bike! I only have a full irish car license. Do i need to do a theory test or what am I allowed put on the road with my current license?

Also how much will insurance cost on a 30yr old male on a 500ccish bike?

muddle84 wrote: »
    Hello all. I really want to get on a bike! I only have a full irish car license. Do i need to do a theory test or what am I allowed put on the road with my current license?

Also how much will insurance cost on a 30yr old male on a 500ccish bike?

Yes, you have to do a theory test, and IBT. Once you've this done you'll be able to ride any bike you can insure.

And your insurance would be roughly 500 for 3rd party only, and 1000 roughly for Fully Comp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Are there any insurers/brokers who have an online quote calculator that doesn't have them ringing and pestering you? This was easier for the car :-)

am 35, had a B license for nearly 10 years and starting out, and trying to get even ballpark figures is annoying. Would be for something big and lazy (and suitable for doing the full A license test on, which seems a small list.).

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Are there any insurers/brokers who have an online quote calculator that doesn't have them ringing and pestering you? This was easier for the car :-)

am 35, had a B license for nearly 10 years and starting out, and trying to get even ballpark figures is annoying. Would be for something big and lazy (and suitable for doing the full A license test on, which seems a small list.).

Liberty Insurance. Online quote thingy, make up the contact details and reg number, have a fiddle about and try it for different bikes. Give you an idea to start from anyway.

Yes, you have to do a theory test, and IBT. Once you've this done you'll be able to ride any bike you can insure.

And your insurance would be roughly 500 for 3rd party only, and 1000 roughly for Fully Comp.

thanks for the reply! I am a complete noob to this forum so can you just clarify what IBT stands for?

muddle84 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply! I am a complete noob to this forum so can you just clarify what IBT stands for?
    Initial Basic Training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JackDuffin

I'm 15 years old and weigh 150lbs and I'm 5'11" in height. I want to start motocross but haven't a notion on what type of bike to get. I have a rough idea of the ins and outs of bikes but motocross is pretty new to me. I've ridden quads quite a bit but only been on a motocross bike once. I'm pretty sure that I've passed the stage of 80ccs but I don't know whether or not I should go for a 125 which I assume is preferable or a 250 and then there's the issue of a two stroke or four stroke. Any information or advice is much appreciated, thanks.

• Advertisement

Initial Basic Training :)

Wow this IBT is pretty expensive. Is there a cheaper version than this training or is it unavoidable?

Advertisement