Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Just add up all the time and wasted energy over a lifetime that goes into being a full time top drawer stingebag

Life is way too short for miserly penny pinching

Completely agree. I don't get the mentality myself. The stories in this thread are great though :P IF you have money to piss up against a wall it could be a waste of time (and stingy), but if you don't have that money, well that's another matter. I always thought being stingy was having money but being miserable with it.

In my last job some of the lads off the other team would load up on goods provided by the job. Milk, tea bags, cereal, sweets, cans etc etc. They would bring in a bag and put a load of stuff into it. They thought it was ok, despite all the emails letting people know that it's not ok to take 2 litres of milk home with you for the tae you also nicked :P

I know somebody who takes her own coffee to class as she is skint. I don't find that stingy at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I heard of this one lad who washes his shirts rather than buying new ones after wearing them. What a complete bastard.
    Washes his own shirts :eek:

Next you'll be telling me he doesn't have a manservant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Stingy people cannot hide the fact they are stingy because some of the things they do could be regarded as sensible. They are not doing those things because it's sensible, they are doing it because they are stingy !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,703 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm so stingy I'm not going bother finishing this sen....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Completely agree. I don't get the mentality myself. The stories in this thread are great though :P IF you have money to piss up against a wall it could be a waste of time (and stingy), but if you don't have that money, well that's another matter. I always thought being stingy was having money but being miserable with it.

In my last job some of the lads off the other team would load up on goods provided by the job. Milk, tea bags, cereal, sweets, cans etc etc. They would bring in a bag and put a load of stuff into it. They thought it was ok, despite all the emails letting people know that it's not ok to take 2 litres of milk home with you for the tae you also nicked :P

I know somebody who takes her own coffee to class as she is skint. I don't find that stingy at all.

When I am out I take a flask of hot water, and I have coffee bags etc with me ( the bags are a gift from a friend in the US). I cannot afford to "buy out". Makes a great difference and I can sit by a lake, with hot coffee and a half price Danish from Dunnes..Bliss! NB I have family working overseas with eg abandoned babies and as they say, costs less than a euro a day to support and feed a baby so it puts things in proportion for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I got called stingy by the mil this morning for cutting out a quarter of a slice of bread and putting it back in the loaf.

I'm so offended. I need the rest of the bread to slip drugs to a sick dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I hate it when people change their usual order when they know a bill is being split equally across the table in a restaurant.

Go from water to expensive wine. etc.

You are literally ripping off the people you are sharing you meal with. Low stingy act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Diemos wrote: »
    I hate it when people change their usual order when they know a bill is being split equally across the table in a restaurant.

Go from water to expensive wine. etc.

You are literally ripping off the people you are sharing you meal with. Low stingy act.

Having worked in restaurants for years I have only come across that once when the wine order went to from 25 to 55. But so often I come across the last person in a group to pay, using cash and the tips from the others in the group who paid by card to supplement their meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Fancy candles.

Do you know the way sometimes they don't burn down to the bottom of the jar, is it stingy to salvage the candle wax out of the bottom of said jar and break it up and put it in the next candle jar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Do you know the way sometimes they don't burn down to the bottom of the jar, is it stingy to salvage the candle wax out of the bottom of said jar and break it up and put it in the next candle jar?

Not (just) stingy but totally pointless. The extra wax would just smother the wick anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Not (just) stingy but totally pointless. The extra wax would just smother the wick anyway.

Not if done properly.

Fancy candles.

Great idea and candle wicks are cheap from craft shops so you can make a new one from the leftovers...not stingy, thrifty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Fancy candles tend to burn really rather well, e.g., "Yankee" brand, whereas cheaper candles tend to burn a hole down the middle and leave a lot of wax behind. There really is a difference.

When I smoked, she'd never bring her own, just scab mine, no matter what.

I used to work with a guy like that ... word on the street was he washed his clothes in the sink in work early in the morning.

Anyhoo, as regards the cigarettes, I always had two packs ... a real one in my bag and a fake one in my drawer with one cigarette in it.

When he asked me for a cigarette I always showed him the "fake" pack ... "oh no! only the one left, sorry!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

I was at a wedding once with the OH. Now, it was only a registry wedding but we were invited to a restaurant after for a meal. After the meal, the waiter came around with everyone's bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Graces7 wrote:
    Great idea and candle wicks are cheap from craft shops so you can make a new one from the leftovers...not stingy, thrifty

Yes thrifty if that's what ur doing. But he/she is adding leftover wax to the next candle .... not making a new one.

I used to work with a guy like that ... word on the street was he washed his clothes in the sink in work early in the morning.

Anyhoo, as regards the cigarettes, I always had two packs ... a real one in my bag and a fake one in my drawer with one cigarette in it.

When he asked me for a cigarette I always showed him the "fake" pack ... "oh no! only the one left, sorry!!"

In a strange way, I find this kinda stingy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

In a strange way, I find this kinda stingy
    You find not wanting to give other people cigarettes stingy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yes thrifty if that's what ur doing. But he/she is adding leftover wax to the next candle .... not making a new one.
    That's not stingy. It's perfectly usable, why would you just throw it away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

She and another equally stingy friend used to go to Penneys, pick out tops or dresses they liked, bring them to the changing room with other, cheaper stuff, then the friend taught her how to remove the paper tag with the barcode from the plastic string, so they attached tags from cheaper, sale items (1-7 euro) to clothing that was already really cheap (like 15 quid for a dress, c'mon!).

I work in retail, and there is nothing better than immediately calling these customers out on this and watching them unconvincingly feign surprise. "Oh? Really? You mean this brand new stock that I've just crudely attached sale stickers to isn't reduced? Wow. Crazy. What are the odds." They're terrible actors, but it's still funny to watch!

A now acquaintance telling me she reused bath water after her boyfriend had used it is probably the stingiest thing I've heard. Not in it together or anything, literally just going into the bath after he used it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

A now acquaintance telling me she reused bath water after her boyfriend had used it is probably the stingiest thing I've heard. Not in it together or anything, literally just going into the bath after he used it!

Not really sure I'd call this stingy unless she explicitly stated it was to save on money. Some would call it being green, or simply not wasteful. I don't do it myself, but wouldn't criticise others for doing it, unless of course it was a bath after a muddy game of football etc and even then it'd be gross rather than stingy!

Not really sure I'd call this stingy unless she explicitly stated it was to save on money. Some would call it being green, or simply not wasteful. I don't do it myself, but wouldn't criticise others for doing it, unless of course it was a bath after a muddy game of football etc and even then it'd be gross rather than stingy!

When we were little we LOVED getting in the bath after Mum had been in; same water. LOVED it! I suppose it is a back to the womb thing.... But it was not really to save money except that we only heated the immersion on Saturday nights...would not do it now ie use anyone else's bathwater! YUKK.. but do not some couples share a bath anyway?

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    You find not wanting to give other people cigarettes stingy?

Maybe not stingy, but the method is certainly sneaky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

Just add up all the time and wasted energy over a lifetime that goes into being a full time top drawer stingebag

Life is way too short for miserly penny pinching

I agree, but if you're skint, it makes sense. I'm sure people would call some of my habits stingy, but I earn very little and prefer to save up to travel a bit rather than waste money on fancy coffees or lunches out. That said, no matter how skint I am, I always pay my way. Wouldn't expect a friend to cover my dinner bill or buy me drinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

LeeLooLee wrote: »
    I agree, but if you're skint, it makes sense. I'm sure people would call some of my habits stingy, but I earn very little and prefer to save up to travel a bit rather than waste money on fancy coffees or lunches out. That said, no matter how skint I am, I always pay my way. Wouldn't expect a friend to cover my dinner bill or buy me drinks!

That's being frugal, not stingy. Very big difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

dee_mc wrote: »
    That's being frugal, not stingy. Very big difference.

There's isn't really much of a difference, only one is viewed as positive and the other negative. I guess it has to do with how much money you have? If you're loaded and reuse your teabag 3 times, it's stingy. If you're broke, it's frugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

a frugal person uses their money to get as much as they can

a stingy person uses someone else's money to get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

LeeLooLee wrote: »
    There's isn't really much of a difference, only one is viewed as positive and the other negative. I guess it has to do with how much money you have? If you're loaded and reuse your teabag 3 times, it's stingy. If you're broke, it's frugal.

There's a big difference. Some are frugal because they simply don't have the money, those that have and refuse to spend it are stingy.

Advertisement