Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

[QUOTE=
    Ventry, Co. Kerry is a very small coast town that is typically busy in the summertime andSince the phone company was collecting their money less frequently, everyone in the town had free calls for a week or two at least. Just like any small town, the news would spread like wildfire and a long queue would form at the pay phone during that time.

like to the thread I got it from, https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/44tard/what_was_a_loophole_that_you_found_and_exploited/[/QUOTE]

I have it on good authority that people used to travel hundreds of miles from other counties, mainly "thrifty" Corkies, to make free long distance calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I have it on good authority that people used to travel hundreds of miles from other counties, mainly "thrifty" Corkies, to make free long distance calls.

They were so stingy that they travelled all that way just so they could call back home for free

Kat1170 wrote: »
    They were so stingy that they travelled all that way just so they could call back home for free

Stingy......not stupid, they were probably ringing the relations in Timbuctoo and other out lying areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Know 2 unreal stingebags one is known as the Charity shop king, he use to volunteer in them to raid(steal) anything good that comes in and will haggle for a long time to get a the price of a 2 euro Dvd down when a customer. He also gets fuel off Vincent de Paul, sends begging letters to Td,s or anyone mad enough to listen, refuses to buy food instead goes to soup kitchens or eats in his mother's (he's 30), will dive into fountains to get the couple of cents in them and carries teabags around to avoid paying for tea in cafes and asks for just boiling water. He works full time and scabs lifts Everywhere as he's too cheap to drive himself and also steals hundreds of euros worth from his workplace all the time and then tries to sell some of it!. He also started going to AA meeting beside where he lives despite never drinking in his life (drink costs money) to avail of the free tea, coffee and biscuits. Unreal stinge, hes also fiddling his landlord with a subletting scam. Last time I seen him he was pulling a decrepit table from a skip.
    I wouldn't mind only this guy has an ego the size of Russia!! Ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Brought the family out for dinner to celebrate a new arrival. Me, wife, 1 teenage daughter and 4 grandparents.

My mother in law, not being Irish couldn't believe the tip I left so took the notes back and left 50 cent!

Not just stingy but bloody rude as well plus I got the gypsy curse from the staff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,133 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Know 2 unreal stingebags one is known as the Charity shop king, he use to volunteer in them to raid(steal) anything good that comes in and will haggle for a long time to get a the price of a 2 euro Dvd down when a customer. He also gets fuel off Vincent de Paul, sends begging letters to Td,s or anyone mad enough to listen, refuses to buy food instead goes to soup kitchens or eats in his mother's (he's 30), will dive into fountains to get the couple of cents in them and carries teabags around to avoid paying for tea in cafes and asks for just boiling water. He works full time and scabs lifts Everywhere as he's too cheap to drive himself and also steals hundreds of euros worth from his workplace all the time and then tries to sell some of it!. He also started going to AA meeting beside where he lives despite never drinking in his life (drink costs money) to avail of the free tea, coffee and biscuits. Unreal stinge, hes also fiddling his landlord with a subletting scam. Last time I seen him he was pulling a decrepit table from a skip.

Prick :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

A few notices around the town would help wake others up to his scams..

I bring teabags into work... and use the milk, sugar and hot water from the coffee dock/shop. Saves myself around 3 euro a day. Is that stingy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,890 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What sort of workplace doesn't supply their employees with tea and coffee facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

I bring teabags into work... and use the milk, sugar and hot water from the coffee dock/shop. Saves myself around 3 euro a day. Is that stingy?

Yes

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    What sort of workplace doesn't supply their employees with tea and coffee facilities?

There are facilities to a degree. There is an area with a fridge, hot water and coffee machines. You just have to provide your own stuff. I only bring in tea bags. I'd use the hot water from the communal area and use the milk/sugar from the coffee shop.

I never ever buy tea in shops yet drink around two cups a day. I'd sooner bring in my own milk and sugar (which I did at the start) than pay 2 euro a pop for an inferior product.

Maybe I am stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Maybe I am stingy.

I dont think so, there is stingy and there is being smart and not throwing money away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Mine. Hot water is your lot.

everlast75 wrote: »

Didnt he own a company one time called I Key A or somrthing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Plenty!

We used to get tea/coffee, but now we just get hot water facilities and milk.
    Everyone buys there own tea/coffee sugar.

At that, I count ourselves lucky! Many places don't have anything and staff have to pay in to get tea/coffee milk etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There are facilities to a degree. There is an area with a fridge, hot water and coffee machines. You just have to provide your own stuff. I only bring in tea bags. I'd use the hot water from the communal area and use the milk/sugar from the coffee shop.

I never ever buy tea in shops yet drink around two cups a day. I'd sooner bring in my own milk and sugar (which I did at the start) than pay 2 euro a pop for an inferior product.

Maybe I am stingy.

So many were doing this at our local hospital that they started charging them for the hot water.... Makes sense. Mind you there was a ruckus...

A few notices around the town would help wake others up to his scams..

Ah can't be arsed people cotton on eventually. He use to be an alright lad but last few years he has become unbelievably mean and immoral and sees no wrong with it whatsoever.

everlast75 wrote: »

Pretty much

• Registered Users Posts: 16,482 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ah can't be arsed people cotton on eventually. He use to be an alright lad but last few years he has become unbelievably mean and immoral and sees no wrong with it whatsoever.

Probably read some Ayn Rand (a lot of Russians fall in love with her mind-set after growing up under communism).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Graces7 wrote: »
    So many were doing this at our local hospital that they started charging them for the hot water.... Makes sense. Mind you there was a ruckus...

proper order IMO, that water doesn't boil itself and I'm sure there are cleaning staff etc to be paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,890 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Birneybau wrote: »
    Mine. Hot water is your lot.
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    Plenty!

We used to get tea/coffee, but now we just get hot water facilities and milk.
    Everyone buys there own tea/coffee sugar.

At that, I count ourselves lucky! Many places don't have anything and staff have to pay in to get tea/coffee milk etc...
    Penny wise and pound foolish imo, things like that are a big boost to morale for a tiny cost, probably a way to get an accountant to deduct it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Was in Mayo a couple of weeks ago. Stopped to get petrol in Kiltimagh. While queuing up to pay, an aul lad comes in and asks where there stationary is, coz he needs a note pad to write up some shopping lists. The sales assistant points him towards a shelf at the back, where the school supplies are. I get on with paying for my petrol and buying a Wispa.

As I'm walking out, I can see yer man holding up two new A4 note pads, as if he is judging which one to buy. Nope, he tears a couple of pages out of each one, stuffs them in his pocket and heads out the door right sharpish.

My jaw was ON. THE. FLOOR !!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

There are some examples of good money management in this thread. Money management is being confused with stinginess I think.

There are some examples of good money management in this thread. Money management is being confused with stinginess I think.

I heard of this one lad who washes his shirts rather than buying new ones after wearing them. What a complete bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Agreed. I bring tea bags to work every day. There is a cafeteria in the building but the tea and coffee there is crap. We have a kettle and mini fridge in our work area, so why not bring my own? We also have to supply our own milk and sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Vanderdecker

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Was in Mayo a couple of weeks ago. Stopped to get petrol in Kiltimagh. While queuing up to pay, an aul lad comes in and asks where there stationary is, coz he needs a note pad to write up some shopping lists. The sales assistant points him towards a shelf at the back, where the school supplies are. I get on with paying for my petrol and buying a Wispa.

As I'm walking out, I can see yer man holding up two new A4 note pads, as if he is judging which one to buy. Nope, he tears a couple of pages out of each one, stuffs them in his pocket and heads out the door right sharpish.

My jaw was ON. THE. FLOOR !!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

If it's the same guy I'm thinking about he buys a new Corolla every two years.Drives the thing in first gear all the time too.Also,he doesn't believe in oil changes cos "I can't afford ****e like that".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Had a friend who was minted, but never wanted to spend money (probably why she was minted!).

Examples of her stinginess include:

Saying she has a groupon for X restaurant that's gonna expire soon, so she'll use it to bring another friend and I for dinner for my birthday. Once there, after dinner, she demanded my other friend and I pay her back 100% of the cost of the voucher, so free meal for her, and not the gift for me she said it was.

In pubs, she'd go around stealing drinks unless you bought her one. Only when she was drunk did she calm down enough to buy drinks.

If we went shopping or walking, she'd repeatedly ask for a 'sup' of mine or my sister's water/coke, rather than buy a bottle.

She and another equally stingy friend used to go to Penneys, pick out tops or dresses they liked, bring them to the changing room with other, cheaper stuff, then the friend taught her how to remove the paper tag with the barcode from the plastic string, so they attached tags from cheaper, sale items (1-7 euro) to clothing that was already really cheap (like 15 quid for a dress, c'mon!).

When I smoked, she'd never bring her own, just scab mine, no matter what. She'd buy a box on her way home, so she had them to herself after having mine. When I switched to an ecig, she repeatedly asked for 'a shot' of it rather than buy smokes for herself.

Only went to bars that had cheap drink offers (ie 3 euro pints) and no entrance charge.

I've since cut contact with her, but before I did, she started voluntary work in a charity shop. Now she never stole from them, but what she'd do is hide the clothing she liked in the back, then on the weekly "2 euro clothing day" where everything was €2, she'd take it out and buy it. Before that, she'd regularly beg me for my clothes to save her buying any :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just add up all the time and wasted energy over a lifetime that goes into being a full time top drawer stingebag

Life is way too short for miserly penny pinching

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Agreed. I bring tea bags to work every day. There is a cafeteria in the building but the tea and coffee there is crap. We have a kettle and mini fridge in our work area, so why not bring my own? We also have to supply our own milk and sugar.

If you're bringing your own tea bags into work even though they provide free tea and coffee, then you're the very opposite of stingy...

Now if you brought the work stuff home with you, that'd be stingy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Dodge wrote: »
    If you're bringing your own tea bags into work even though they provide free tea and coffee, then you're the very opposite of stingy...

Now if you brought the work stuff home with you, that'd be stingy

We have to pay for the tea and coffee in the caf. But, even it it were free, I'd bring my own as they are both crap.

Advertisement