Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Birneybau wrote: »
    There's a big difference. Some are frugal because they simply don't have the money, those that have and refuse to spend it are stingy.
    And those who have it and choose to spend it differently from you are stingy? As long as it it not coming out of your pocket, it's really not your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

LeeLooLee wrote: »
    I agree, but if you're skint, it makes sense. I'm sure people would call some of my habits stingy, but I earn very little and prefer to save up to travel a bit rather than waste money on fancy coffees or lunches out. That said, no matter how skint I am, I always pay my way. Wouldn't expect a friend to cover my dinner bill or buy me drinks!

So you're basically a normal person then? This ain't the thread for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

And those who have it and choose to spend it differently from you are stingy? As long as it it not coming out of your pocket, it's really not your business.

This is a thread for making fun of stingy people. If that bothers you I'd suggest not reading the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

To take my friends father as an example of the difference between stingy and frugal.

Soap - we all need to wash don't we. So......

Frugal - He would go to Aldi or Tesco and buy the value non-branded soap for something like 29c per bar instead of the one's for €1+

Or

Stingy - He would take a used bar of soap from his brother's house when using the bathroom. And he wouldn't feel any shame or see anything wrong with that. He would in fact actively gloat about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

valoren wrote: »
    He would in fact actively gloat about it.

Gloating about diddling your brother out of a half used bar of soap from his family home.

Mother of god.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

Dodge wrote: »
    So you're basically a normal person then? This ain't the thread for you

I know I'm not stingy, haha. I was just saying that some people's frugal = other people's stingy.

That reminds me, I used to work with this guy who would invite himself along to have drinks/dinner with you and then suddenly realise he'd left his wallet at home/had no cash/card wouldn't work and he'd say 'I'll get the next one'. Of course, next time, he'd do the same thing. The first time was the last time with me, but other people ended up paying for him time and time again. He really had no sense of shame or embarrassment - it was as if he really believed that people were so happy to be in his company that they wouldn't mind funding him. Massive sense of entitlement. The worst bit was he'd rub everyone's nose in it by posting on Facebook about how he'd saved so much money by being 'disciplined'!

LeeLooLee wrote: »
    The worst bit was he'd rub everyone's nose in it by posting on Facebook about how he'd saved so much money by being 'disciplined'!

What exactly would he post?? How old is this person?

What exactly would he post?? How old is this person?

Motivational type quotes along with self congratulation for getting 'one step closer to his goal' (saving to move abroad). I think he is truly deluded - he really doesn't see that his 'savings' are made by ripping other people off! He's about 27, I think. He's a hippie type, all for sharing and 'pooling resources' except that he only ever takes! Never gives, ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sometimes it is snobbery! Way back when I was in digs at university I would leave the house very early mid week for mass. The landlady would leave me bread and all there to make coffee.. small tin of instant and that was fine The lid said blend 37 but it was the basic cheaper brand on the tin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

So my wife made lunch for a college friend - proper cooked lunch not chucking a pizza or packed lasagne in the oven.

So after that they went to a cafe and not that she was expecting it, but normally after someone cooks you a ****ing meal - buy them a coffee!!!

The friend gets up saying she's going to the toilet, while she was passing the counter she paid - for her drink.

Wouldn't even pay 1.20 Eur for a poxy coffee.

Stingey miserable f*cking c'unt ...

• Advertisement

So my wife made lunch for a college friend - proper cooked lunch not chucking a pizza or packed lasagne in the oven.

So after that they went to a cafe and not that she was expecting it, but normally after someone cooks you a ****ing meal - buy them a coffee!!!

The friend gets up saying she's going to the toilet, while she was passing the counter she paid - for her drink.

Meh. Expecting someone to pay for you is just a stingy.

She didn't expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

She didn't expect it.

But you did. So you're stingy and your wife is cool :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

People might do something like that without even thinking sometimes. It's the type of thing i would do and just realize afterwards. But i'd make it up to them another time.

Why do some folk think it takes more time/energy to be frugal? It is a lifestyle.. first stop in Dunnes or tesco is the reduced section and onwards from there! Second nature....Just checkd the specials in various shops online..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Might be time to unfollow this thread, with all the debates about what's stingy or frugal and people coming on to defend their frugalness. It's getting pretty annoying.

Anyway, a story I heard from my parents about a big dairy farm near us. This is going back about 50-60 years ago. Despite producing gallons upon gallons of milk, none was brought into the house for any of the family including children. It was all saved for a milk run to make more money. It was said it was strange to arrive into a dairy farm and receive a black cup of tea.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I worked as an engineer all over the world, as such the pay was handsome (and tax free if you played the system correctly), as well as everything being taken care of for us (flights, hotels/apartment, rental car/fuel etc...) We even got €45 per day daily per diem, for meals etc...

In Qatar about 8 years ago, a group of us would all go at lunchtime up to a half decent restaurant in the local village and have a decent lunch, not too fancy, but not crap either, it was adequate. There was this 1 guy who never once came with us to the restaurant (average cost for lunch was €10-€15 per visit), instead choosing to spend €5-€6 in the KFC next door to the restaurant, every day for at least 6 months!!! We thought he just loved chicken, but he actually told me one day he was sick of it, so I asked why he didn't come with us to the nice place, and he replied that it was far too expensive.

Tight c**t.

Yeah, but going up and paying for your own coffee only is stingy at the best of times, never mind when someone has just cooked you a meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I worked as an engineer all over the world, as such the pay was handsome (and tax free if you played the system correctly), as well as everything being taken care of for us (flights, hotels/apartment, rental car/fuel etc...) We even got €45 per day daily per diem, for meals etc...

In Qatar about 8 years ago, a group of us would all go at lunchtime up to a half decent restaurant in the local village and have a decent lunch, not too fancy, but not crap either, it was adequate. There was this 1 guy who never once came with us to the restaurant (average cost for lunch was €10-€15 per visit), instead choosing to spend €5-€6 in the KFC next door to the restaurant, every day for at least 6 months!!! We thought he just loved chicken, but he actually told me one day he was sick of it, so I asked why he didn't come with us to the nice place, and he replied that it was far too expensive.

Tight c**t.

I can kind of see where this lad is coming from, especially if it's every day for six months as you've highlighted. €5-10 every single day adds up. I've known a few people who've done work like that abroad and treat it as something to suffer through saving every penny, then coming home with enough cash for a house (one lad even aiming at having half a million sterling to come home with after 6 years or so!).

benjamin d wrote: »
    I can kind of see where this lad is coming from, especially if it's every day for six months as you've highlighted. €5-10 every single day adds up. I've known a few people who've done work like that abroad and treat it as something to suffer through saving every penny, then coming home with enough cash for a house (one lad even aiming at having half a million sterling to come home with after 6 years or so!).

I did similar myself with my own house, but the guy was pulling in close to £2,000 (stg) per week, not to mention the £210/€315 in per diem,

We all want to save a few quid, but we also want to live a reasonably healthy life while sacrificing our life at home to work abroad.
    Don't get me wrong, I had a few chicken kicker burgers myself (and yes, I did feel dirty afterwards), but everyday for 6 months!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Where is your missus getting coffee for 1.20? The 80's? :eek:

Where is your missus getting coffee for 1.20? The 80's? :eek:

Barcelona, regular price.

In fact a coffee solo is still 1.00 in some places.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I did similar myself with my own house, but the guy was pulling in close to £2,000 (stg) per week, not to mention the £210/€315 in per diem,

We all want to save a few quid, but we also want to live a reasonably healthy life while sacrificing our life at home to work abroad.
    Don't get me wrong, I had a few chicken kicker burgers myself (and yes, I did feel dirty afterwards), but everyday for 6 months!!!

2,000 in 6 months on lunch is a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

bluewolf wrote: »

Sure tis only a weeks wages :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

My daughter works in a restaurant at weekends. Last week two couples came in and made life a misery for her. Complained about everything. For desert they ordered a muffin and shared it four ways ways and then complained that it was too small and wanted a discount. They didn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

benjamin d wrote: »

I agree to a point. He may have been saving his money to buy a house at home or something. Perhaps he only thing that got him thru his homesickness, was the thought of how much money he was making and saving. I'd consider that to be exceptionally frugal, but I'd fall short of calling it stingy, as it didn't really impact on anyone else. He didn't scrounge of his co workers, or come and say he wasn't eating and then pick off other peoples plates, or order food and "forget" his wallet.

My definitions of stinginess kinda need to have that element of impacting and scabbing off others, for it to cross the border from frugality to stinge. Like yer man robbing his brothers soap. Jesus wept ! :eek:

Aenaes wrote: »
    Might be time to unfollow this thread, with all the debates about what's stingy or frugal and people coming on to defend their frugalness. It's getting pretty annoying.

Anyway, a story I heard from my parents about a big dairy farm near us. This is going back about 50-60 years ago. Despite producing gallons upon gallons of milk, none was brought into the house for any of the family including children. It was all saved for a milk run to make more money. It was said it was strange to arrive into a dairy farm and receive a black cup of tea.

They were probably on the breadline and fighting to meet contracts. On a lighter note I knew a chicken farmer whose kids refused to eat eggs.. probably given so many they were sick of them...

bluewolf wrote: »

it is, but when the company is giving you €8,212 (tax free) in that same 6 months (€45 per day) to cover lunch/dinner, is it really a lot?

We we go abroad to work, we expect certain minimum standards, not to live off pot noodles or micky D's for a year.

Despite eating well, we still wouldn't come close to spending our €45 allowance in a day, so the rest was pocketed.
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    I agree to a point. He may have been saving his money to buy a house at home or something.

For reference, the guy was in his fifties, and by that stage, had his 3rd/4th house bought and paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Maybe he just hated eating in restaurants, with their waiters and their whatnots!

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »
    Maybe he just hated eating in restaurants, with their waiters and their whatnots!

Maybe he just hated you guys :cool:

I used to work with a guy in a cafe who'd take the milk jugs off the tables at the end of the day, and pour it into an empty bottle to take home with him to use :eek:

The milk was often warm and who knows what landed in it during the day!!

Advertisement