Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Jesus this is the stingy thread !!

can we just agree that the guy was a miserable stingey bastard and be done with it :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Once saw a guy going in to post office to get one for all vouchers as present, he wanted to pay for them with other one for all vouchers that had been given to him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Once saw a guy going in to post office to get one for all vouchers as present, he wanted to pay for them with other one for all vouchers that had been given to him

He's a fcukin' genius!:pac:
    Sure isn't his voucher the same as handing over money. Bit unusual but don't think it's too stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

bluewolf wrote: »
    2,000 in 6 months on lunch is a lot

words there are none.. Cannot believe anyone spending even E5 a day on lunch...Most of my meals are under a euro and they are good. sound meals

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Graces7 wrote: »
    words there are none.. Cannot believe anyone spending even E5 a day on lunch...Most of my meals are under a euro and they are good. sound meals

try getting sub €1 meals in the back arse of nowhere in Qatar that are adequate as a lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

That actually makes sense, otherwise they'd have started to lose value if they were getting close to expiry date!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

And imagine how sick you'd be eating in KFC every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I very much doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They were probably on the breadline and fighting to meet contracts. On a lighter note I knew a chicken farmer whose kids refused to eat eggs.. probably given so many they were sick of them...

Or were aware that eggs come out of chickens bums!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CyrilFiggis

True. If he really wanted to save money he'd have been bringing in packed lunches. Sounds like he just didn't want to hang out with the others at lunch :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Was in Mayo a couple of weeks ago. Stopped to get petrol in Kiltimagh. While queuing up to pay, an aul lad comes in and asks where there stationary is, coz he needs a note pad to write up some shopping lists. The sales assistant points him towards a shelf at the back, where the school supplies are. I get on with paying for my petrol and buying a Wispa.

As I'm walking out, I can see yer man holding up two new A4 note pads, as if he is judging which one to buy. Nope, he tears a couple of pages out of each one, stuffs them in his pocket and heads out the door right sharpish.

My jaw was ON. THE. FLOOR !!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Also in a convenience store at a petrol station in Co.Mayo as I was standing in the queue the 2 chavy girls asked if they had any straws. The assistant behind the counter beckoned her colleague to get the straws so she went scuttling down the store to get them as we all waited. She brought back a pack of 20 party pack straws when the customer gasped "oh no , I just wanted one" and stormed off in a huffy manner. I was buying a pack of spearmint gum , left it down on the counter , €1.05 she said and I said 'oh no I just wan't one, not the whole pack'. She gasped over at the exit door and only laughed when she was sure the last customer was out of earshot.

Not that much of a stingy story really but it was funny at the time so don't be coming to me with your straw man arguments about how the chavy girls were just being sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Out for dinner one night with 2 other couples.

After the meal ended one lady suggested that she would pay for the meal using her card and we'd total up who owe's her what and we'd give her the cash.

Sorted out who owed her and when it came to a tip for the staff she suggested that it should be 20 euro cash a couple.

Everybody was ok with that only that she never tipped the staff and pocketed the money for herself.

The other couple suspected it and went back to the restaurant the day after to enquire and the restaurant confirmed that no tip was payed.

Fcuking sneaky bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

try getting sub €1 meals in the back arse of nowhere in Qatar that are adequate as a lunch.

.. I'm sure you could ..... but the real price would be the 3 days on the toilet with what sounds like a high powered hose out of your arse.
    :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I wonder would that be a way to bypass one4all taking their annual charge after a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Aenaes wrote: »
    Might be time to unfollow this thread, with all the debates about what's stingy or frugal and people coming on to defend their frugalness. It's getting pretty annoying.

Agreed. The constant "When I were a lass I had to walk barefoot to school and it was uphill both ways" posts are ruining the thread.

Less whinge, more stinge needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Got invited to a party tonight (I ain't going), but was asked by the host to bring drinks for the party. Now normally I bring beer for myself and would never expect to be provided with beer, but this douchebag, who I detest, asked us to bring a bottle of Gin and Tonic water... we don't drink Gin and Tonic. He's a grade A knob head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Got invited to a party tonight (I ain't going), but was asked by the host to bring drinks for the party. Now normally I bring beer for myself and would never expect to be provided with beer, but this douchebag, who I detest, asked us to bring a bottle of Gin and Tonic water... we don't drink Gin and Tonic. He's a grade A knob head.

That's a cracker. The real stingey folks are those who bring home more drink from a party than they bring to it in the first place

And yes I've seen it happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Agreed. The constant "When I were a lass I had to walk barefoot to school and it was uphill both ways" posts are ruining the thread.

Absolutely. Being stingey is nothing to do with being poor or not being able to afford something. I think many people just don't read what threads are about before jumping in.

A truly stingey person can afford to act otherwise but is too mean to do so. So all this 'I couldn't afford to eat lunch out every day' is immaterial. There is no defence for stingeness and no need for a defence of being unable to actually afford something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Don't know how stingy this is, but I was ordering pizza with my mate the other night, it was 20 quid, so a tenner each plus 1 each for delivery, so I gave him 11. When the pizza came, turned out it was free cos he'd had a bad pizza from the place before and when he complained they gave him a free order. So he got 11 quid from me for nowt.

Don't know how stingy this is, but I was ordering pizza with my mate the other night, it was 20 quid, so a tenner each plus 1 each for delivery, so I gave him 11. When the pizza came, turned out it was free cos he'd had a bad pizza from the place before and when he complained they gave him a free order. So he got 11 quid from me for nowt.

No, he got €11 from you for eating half of his pizza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

No, he got €11 from you for eating half of his pizza.

But it didn't cost him nothing.

It cost him the previous 'bad' pizza that he had paid fully for.

It's moot anyway as you don't seem to have taken him to task on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,050 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Dial Hard wrote:

What about using this thread for the stingy stories and a separate thread for discussing the stingyness of the last story.

That way, I can follow this thread and never follow the other thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What about using this thread for the stingy stories and a separate thread for discussing the stingyness of the last story.
    That way, I can follow this thread and never follow the other thread.
    I do believe we have exhausted all stingy tales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

It cost him the previous 'bad' pizza that he had paid fully for.

It's moot anyway as you don't seem to have taken him to task on it.

That only works if it was a €20 double pizza the stinge bloke had as a bad pizza. If it was a single pizza as I suspect it was then stinge bloke profited as his single pizza would have been cheaper. And I bet he complains about his bad pizza all the time when he's gets to the last slice.

Also I don't get your 'moot point' argument. Whether or not OP complained to his mate after the stinge event occurred hardly exempts Mr Stinge from his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I thought you said it did cost him nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Jaysus! Could you not take this argument to a PM and more stinge stories here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Dial Hard wrote: »

Huh! When I was young I didn't even have feet to walk barefoot with.
    *runs*
    *thinks* Ooh shìt 😕

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Huh! When I was young I didn't even have feet to walk barefoot with.
    *runs*
    *thinks* Ooh shìt 😕

You need to go to bed man it's half 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

D Trent wrote: »
    You need to go to bed man it's half 5

Thanks for the offer but I'll take a raincheck.
    Sorry for being stingy about it.

Advertisement