Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

And unfortunately we will see more of that with the new waste charges

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I know someone who does their shoppimg when they know it student boozy night. Goes to the self service checkouts so if there were students in front of them buying booze and they didnt have a clubcard takes the receipt left behind to get the points added to their own clucard
    Do you get points when you buy alcohol? Is it not one of the products where you don't get points?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Seemingly it depend on the supermarket.. couldnt see them making much from it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I kow a guy that's very very cheap but I wouldn't really say stingy.

We went to a cafe, ordered a coffee and kept refilling it with hot water when the coffee was half drunk. He wanted to stay longer so he could use the wifi as he hadn't had it at home.

Same lad, there were bottles of beer on the shelf and cans in the fidge, to save 15c he bought the warm bottles.

Would be generally cheap in everything he'd do but he would always pay his share at restaurants or get you a round back, so not really stingy imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I know someone who does their shoppimg when they know it student boozy night. Goes to the self service checkouts so if there were students in front of them buying booze and they didnt have a clubcard takes the receipt left behind to get the points added to their own clucard

People like this have genuine mental issues. It's absolutely pathetic behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Graces7 wrote: »
    At least he was putting it in a bin... last winter some ******* emptied several bags of rubbish off the top of the Conor Pass here in Kerry. The photo was **** and the risks of clearing it up..

Hope you reported the fecker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

RainyDay wrote: »
    Hope you reported the fecker?

I suspect she never saw who did it.

I get TA'd by littering. I walk the road here once a week with my litter picker. I fill an average of 3 bin bags each time, from a one mile stretch of rural road.

You've had your burger or coffee; your car already smells from it; just bring the bag of rubbish home with you rather than peg it out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I get TA'd by littering. I walk the road here once a week with my litter picker. I fill an average of 3 bin bags each time, from a one mile stretch of rural road.

You've had your burger or coffee; your car already smells from it; just bring the bag of rubbish home with you rather than peg it out the window.

I would happily see litterbugs publicly flogged. Lazy deadbeat scuzzers who throw their kfc rubbish out the car windows when they are 5 yards away from a bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

One of the lads threw an empty plastic bottle out the window of my car on the way home one afternoon. I pulled in and made him get out of the car and pick it up. He thought I was joking until I said he picks it up or walks home.

I hate people who litter like that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Back on topic I know someone who steams the stamps of his envelopes. He proudly proclaims he has enough stamps to last his life time and the next. This was before the Royal Mail introduced the stamps that cant be steamed offin one piece. I often wonder if the Royal Mail invented these stamps just to thwart my mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

timthumbni wrote: »
    Back on topic I know someone who steams the stamps of his envelopes. He proudly proclaims he has enough stamps to last his life time and the next. This was before the Royal Mail introduced the stamps that cant be steamed offin one piece. I often wonder if the Royal Mail invented these stamps just to thwart my mate.

Littering is on topic as they are too stingy to pay their way...

Yes, back on topic.

I knew a guy got a few six packs from a beer distributor as a Christmas box every year. He'd phone the supermarket to find out the cost and then sell them to his work mates at a 10% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

...........TA'd ..........

What does TA'd mean please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

wyndham wrote: »

Trivally annoyed.

EDIT: See this thread:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057521679

wyndham wrote: »

Sorry, It's from another thread here - Trivially Annoyed

I'm too stingy with my time to type it in full every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

A few months back myself and a group of workmates went to Star Wars tickets were around E9.
    Anyway, one lad found some other cinema that had tickets for E6 (it was a monday night) - and went alone.
    I mean wtf :eek:
    Nothing wrong with going alone to the cinema but when doing it as an alternative to going with a group and saving 3 poxy Euro
    is another thing.

Mad ..

Same guy always manages to get free food in restaurants by asking for more, asking for alternatives from the menu.
    Some people have no shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

A few months back myself and a group of workmates went to Star Wars tickets were around E9.
    Anyway, one lad found some other cinema that had tickets for E6 (it was a monday night) - and went alone.
    I mean wtf :eek:
    Nothing wrong with going alone to the cinema but when doing it as an alternative to going with a group and saving 3 poxy Euro
    is another thing.

Mad ..

Same guy always manages to get free food in restaurants by asking for more, asking for alternatives from the menu.
    Some people have no shame.
    Jesus, I had a problem with my jaw (abscesses) on a holiday and had to get food blended as we went to a restaurant that, while did great food, didn't have soup. Waitress said the manager would give me a free drink so got a milkshake with my beer, then tipped the waitress the cost of the beer to thank her for going out of her way. People like that would turn places off wanting to help customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Some great tips in this thread. Will be using these going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

not my story but copied of reddit, thought it belonged here,
    Ventry, Co. Kerry is a very small coast town that is typically busy in the summertime and dead the rest of the year. Years ago, they had an old style pay phone in the town. It was regularly emptied of its coins until some bean counter at the national phone company decided to save money by having the coins collected less frequently, thus not having to pay someone as often to do the collecting. This was OK during the offseason but in the summertime, the phone was used more often. Being an old style pay phone, once it was full of coins, the basic mechanics of it (don't ask me how exactly) triggered something that allowed every call to be free until someone can along to empty the coin box. Since the phone company was collecting their money less frequently, everyone in the town had free calls for a week or two at least. Just like any small town, the news would spread like wildfire and a long queue would form at the pay phone during that time.

like to the thread I got it from, https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/44tard/what_was_a_loophole_that_you_found_and_exploited/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I heard a story about an Ulster Protestant in the 1940s or 50s who took a young lady on a date and went into the shop to buy an ice cream, the young lady was expecting an ice cream but he just bought one for himself and sat eating it infront of her.

There is a middle aged man in my parish who is a bachelor and is a well known character, my father took him to GAA matches and the fellow would buy 2 bags of crisps, my father assumed one was for him but he ate the two himself. There is another story about him on his lunch break, he pulled out a full packet of kit kats, my father asked for one but he refused even though my father drove him to work. There is a rumour around the parish that he keeps his chocolate bars in his attic.

In 2007 when Derry and Antrim played in the Ulster championship there was free entry due to the first encounter being postponed, I recall this fellow going to the game with us and various people said to him "it is well seen it is free entry when you're here surely to God"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

montyrebel wrote: »
    not my story but copied of reddit, thought it belonged here,
    Ventry, Co. Kerry is a very small coast town that is typically busy in the summertime and dead the rest of the year. Years ago, they had an old style pay phone in the town. It was regularly emptied of its coins until some bean counter at the national phone company decided to save money by having the coins collected less frequently, thus not having to pay someone as often to do the collecting. This was OK during the offseason but in the summertime, the phone was used more often. Being an old style pay phone, once it was full of coins, the basic mechanics of it (don't ask me how exactly) triggered something that allowed every call to be free until someone can along to empty the coin box. Since the phone company was collecting their money less frequently, everyone in the town had free calls for a week or two at least. Just like any small town, the news would spread like wildfire and a long queue would form at the pay phone during that time.

like to the thread I got it from, https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/44tard/what_was_a_loophole_that_you_found_and_exploited/

That reminds me of when I was passing through Santa Cruz in California years ago. They had analogue parking meters that worked on the size of the coin. The locals had a thing called 'shaving a penny' which involve rubbing a one cent coin on the concrete to make it small enough to fit in the 10c slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I was working outside the GAA grounds in Milltown, Co. Kerry last year, and there was a game on.
    I was working away and an ole fella comes along and stands up on a low stone wall on the green area outside the grounds, and is almost on his tip toes to look over the 7 foot wall that surrounds the ground.
    Now I thought to myself, he's only looking in to see who's playing, but no, the stingy fecker stands like this for almost an hour until the final whistle, he had sandwiches with him and all!
    Now I've no idea how much the entrance charge was, but it was hardly worth the pain of standing like that for an hour 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I was working outside the GAA grounds in Milltown, Co. Kerry last year, and there was a game on.
    I was working away and an ole fella comes along and stands up on a low stone wall on the green area outside the grounds, and is almost on his tip toes to look over the 7 foot wall that surrounds the ground.
    Now I thought to myself, he's only looking in to see who's playing, but no, the stingy fecker stands like this for almost an hour until the final whistle, he had sandwiches with him and all!
    Now I've no idea how much the entrance charge was, but it was hardly worth the pain of standing like that for an hour 😂
    I wouldnt pay in to see Kerry either:P

I wouldnt pay in to see Kerry either:P

Haha as a Donegal man neither would I, but this was only a game between two local clubs, it wasn't even a county game!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He was probably a spy from Donegal. They have form in that department.

sligojoek wrote: »
    He was probably a spy from Donegal. They have form in that department.

Yea I'm sure he was spying on a junior B championship game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yea I'm sure he was spying on a junior B championship game

You have to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I recall this fellow going to the game with us and various people said to him "it is well seen it is free entry when you're here surely to God"
    Seriously? Various people used that same arbitrary sequence of words in a meaningless combination? What are the odds of that ever happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

endacl wrote: »
    Seriously? Various people used that same arbitrary sequence of words in a meaningless combination? What are the odds of that ever happening?

Funnily enough I can see in my mind every Donegal person I know doing just that.

Also every politician.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

endacl wrote: »

LOL maybe it's a dialectical thing, but I actually don't find that hard to imagine! (From North West myself.)

Advertisement