Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

That’s what we are all waiting for

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah. Hurry up. The suspense is killing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

A hot day and no cover for midfield? Would suggest to me that the named team won't start, one of the midfielders will be held in reserve

I'd say Stephen Coen is meant to be in there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

jr86 wrote: »
    I'd say Stephen Coen is meant to be in there

He's on the list i have seen

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://twitter.com/RefComeOn/status/1144989497626636290

Really strong bench
    Crowe is there instead of Caff though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

There is a strong enough breeze in it .......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Substitutes 16-26

Robert Hennelly
    Eoin O Donoghue
    Colm Boyle
    Caolan Crowe
    Stephen Coen
    Ciaran Treacy
    Jason Doherty
    Evan Regan
    Darren Coen
    Cillian O Connor
    James Carr

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

Close game. Strange one Andy coming off i thought he wasnt doing too badly. Bit of afters at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Mayo trying their best to lose the gane. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

Thank god thats over. Less said about the last few minutes the better. Some really bad decision making.

• Advertisement

Mayo trying their best to lose the gane. Crazy stuff.

Clarke's wayward pass in injury time bet all

Still in the draw but more frustrations than positives I think

Except Darren Coen, he was phenomenal. Unfortunately our full back line is at almost liability level now. Doesn't take a genius to figure out the opponent's game plan next week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Relieved we got over the line.

Few drinks and leave any real thoughts till later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

It was a terrible performance in many ways. Our full back line is engaging in absolute suicide stuff at times, very hard to watch. Aidan was struggling to get on the end of Clarke's kickouts for most of the game and we weren't tidying up much breaking ball there either.

Positives: Kevin McLoughlin had a good day out and is much better coming onto the ball. He is wasted in the corner. Darren Coen had a great day on the shooting too. And it was great to see Cillian back. He looked physically well and keen to get in the mix once on.

As for injuries, well...its a litany at this stage. Lee was on crutches at the end of the game. Jason's didn't look as serious at first glance, but I guess we'll have to see.

On paper all games are winnable next week but it has a real feel of Kildare last year

Playing badly, more injuries, little confidence.

That said Galway is probably the worst draw. I reckon they'll have a field day against our FB line.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PressRun wrote:
    It was a terrible performance in many ways. Our full back line is engaging in absolute suicide stuff at times, very hard to watch. Aidan was struggling to get on the end of Clarke's kickouts for most of the game and we weren't tidying up much breaking ball there either.

It was a good call to reduce the long kickouts though, after Jamie Clarke's first point Mayo ran it up more and built up a bit of a run.

I think it was a good win all things considered, COC didn't look in great form, but it's good that he came on and you are still in it.

Hopefully Keegan's injury isn't bad.

Armagh were good, better than I thought, that lad Hall was a handful and he went for it at the end too.

I'm happy for McGeeney as I think he's building something there and people recognise it. He's probably better off knowing J Clarke is gone next year anyway. Maybe Yob was right about them, or maybe Mayo were just badly hit with injuries. Maybe...

Fast decisions too. I think Moran going off was a good move, opened it up.

Why was Coen not making the team last year ? David Drake coming on last year when we needed a score taker and yet this player not in the squad ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tomcasey

I just love Mayo supporters - full of optimism every year and then realism hits, usually in late August or sometimes even September, but they always catch up with the rest of us eventually and realise how poor their team is. Players rule, not management!! Go on Limerick hurlers!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Mayo don't look as fit as other years. Or perhaps age is just catching up with a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Stoner wrote:
    I'm happy for McGeeney

Jebus.

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Mayo don't look as fit as other years. Or perhaps age is just catching up with a few.

It's kind of in bursts anymore

Had a great period end of first half but end product let us down . Prob should have been going in 4 or 5 up after that

I don't recall a mayo forward kicking scores like Coen for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Tomcasey wrote:
    I just love Mayo supporters - full of optimism every year and then realism hits, usually in late August or sometimes even September, but they always catch up with the rest of us eventually and realise how poor their team is. Players rule, not management!! Go on Limerick hurlers!

Nurse! Tom's out of bed again

jr86 wrote: »
    It's kind of in bursts anymore

Had a great period end of first half but end product let us down . Prob should have been going in 4 or 5 up after that

I don't recall a mayo forward kicking scores like Coen for years

Yeah, shocking to see. Not like a normal Mayo forward. What was Rochford at!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Stoner wrote: »
    It was a good call to reduce the long kickouts though, after Jamie Clarke's first point Mayo ran it up more and built up a bit of a run.

I think it was a good win all things considered, COC didn't look in great form, but it's good that he came on and you are still in it.

Hopefully Keegan's injury isn't bad.

Armagh were good, better than I thought, that lad Hall was a handful and he went for it at the end too.

I'm happy for McGeeney as I think he's building something there and people recognise it. He's probably better off knowing J Clarke is gone next year anyway. Maybe Yob was right about them, or maybe Mayo were just badly hit with injuries. Maybe...

Fast decisions too. I think Moran going off was a good move, opened it up.

Agreed on the long kick outs.

Hall was a wee rocket. Physically small, but some strength in the tackle. Shaking lads off like rag dolls and bulling through at every opportunity. Was very impressed by him.
    Armagh impressed me in general. Quick smart forwards and tenacious. They could be onto something in the coming years.

Cillian needs more game time obviously, but he was right in front of me for the second half and he looked eager.

Praying Keegan injury isn't serious. We're very thin as is and we can't afford this dropping like flies that's going on. I didn't see exactly what happened but appeared he rolled his ankle? Not sure really but he seemed to be putting some weight on it coming off and didn't have to go to hospital straight away. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, shocking to see. Not like a normal Mayo forward. What was Rochford at!!

Has he been good at club level for hollymouny?

They won intermediate a few years ago alright. I haven't seen a whole lot of them overall though

Thought mcdonagh had a great first half too. Murray had a day to forget but it's experience. Why isn't ger mcdonagh considered for FB?

Actually special word for Boyle too. Some key interceptions in first half that repelled some dangerous attacks. May well have been the winning of the game

Unfortunately his decision making on the ball is not near what it was though,but his reading of the game is always phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

As far as I know, Darren Coen is well known in club for his kicking abilities both passing and scoring.

Am I right in saying that the next round will be a neutral venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭BandMember

muddle84 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that the next round will be a neutral venue?

Yes. All games at neutral venues next weekend. If we get over that, Round 1 of the Super 8's the following weekend at the Provincial winner's ground. Round 2 the following week and then a week off before the 3rd Round on the August Bank Holiday weekend.

I'll post a few thoughts on tonight's game later, my heart and nerves are still recovering from it....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Jebus.

Lol,

The Ulster lads don't seem to like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

BandMember wrote: »
    Yes. All games at neutral venues next weekend. If we get over that, Round 1 of the Super 8's the following weekend at the Provincial winner's ground. Then a week off.

I'll post a few thoughts on tonight's game later, my heart and nerves are still recovering from it....

Does the week off not come into play until after the second round of super 8.
    Did last year afair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭BandMember

charlie14 wrote: »
    Does the week off not come into play until after the second round of super 8.
    Did last year afair.

Apologies, you are correct and I have amended my previous post - Round 1, Round 2, Week Off, Round 3 (on the August Bank Holiday weekend).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement