Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Team named
    Boyler who I thought had played well the last day is dropped along with Doherty
    Looks like a 3 man midfield and 2 man FF line
    Andy and ???????????????

Just spotted Darren Coen also dropped
    Hope he isn’t injured
    1. David Clarke – Ballina Stephenites
    2. Chris Barrett – Belmullet
    3. Brendan Harrison – Aghamore
    4. Keith Higgins – Ballyhaunis
    5. Lee Keegan – Westport
    6. Michael Plunkett – Ballintubber
    7. Patrick Durcan – Castlebar Mitchels(C)
    8. Donal Vaughan – Castlebar Mitchels
    9. Aidan O’Shea – Breaffy
    10. Fionn McDonagh – Westport
    11. Conor Loftus – Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    12. Mikey Murray – Ballina Stephenites
    13. Kevin McLoughlin – Knockmore
    14. Andy Moran – Ballaghaderreen
    15. Fergal Boland – Aghamore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

statto25 wrote: »
    Lads wild question but do any of ye know where I'd get a set of baby ear defenders in Mayo. I'm gonna bring the young lad on Saturday and want to keep his lugs safe.

Might not be any help but they have them in safety direct in Galway if you know anyone up that direction.its on the Tuam road near the trappers pub.
    You’ll see them on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Horan descending this into a war with that team selection. Physically bash them up and go from there. Im all for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Advanced safety would have them beside funster/ Harvey Norman direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

km79 wrote: »
    Team named
    Boyler who I thought had played well the last day is dropped along with Doherty
    Looks like a 3 man midfield and 2 man FF line
    Andy and ???????????????

Just spotted Darren Coen also dropped
    Hope he isn’t injured
    1. David Clarke – Ballina Stephenites
    2. Chris Barrett – Belmullet
    3. Brendan Harrison – Aghamore
    4. Keith Higgins – Ballyhaunis
    5. Lee Keegan – Westport
    6. Michael Plunkett – Ballintubber
    7. Patrick Durcan – Castlebar Mitchels(C)
    8. Donal Vaughan – Castlebar Mitchels
    9. Aidan O’Shea – Breaffy
    10. Fionn McDonagh – Westport
    11. Conor Loftus – Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    12. Mikey Murray – Ballina Stephenites
    13. Kevin McLoughlin – Knockmore
    14. Andy Moran – Ballaghaderreen
    15. Fergal Boland – Aghamore

There is alot riding on that half forward line. I would have though he would need Doherty there for the experience. He really is shaking things up and it is probably required but this team may not start.

Big game for Vaughan as he is just back.
    Will be interesting to see if COC is on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I suspect that's a dummy team, doesn't really look like we have any inside line. Could we see Cillian or Coen in place of McLoughlin or Boland?
    Though I thought Boland linked well when he came on in Newry.

If that does start, I would think it'll be Murray as a third midfielder with Boland dropping outfield as more of a playmaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,915 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Horan descending this into a war with that team selection. Physically bash them up and go from there. Im all for it

Unless they have gone soft over the past few years, going out looking to bash Armagh up was never a great idea. There was always a mean streak in those boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I suspect that's a dummy team, doesn't really look like we have any inside line. Could we see Cillian or Coen in place of McLoughlin or Boland?
    Though I thought Boland linked well when he came on in Newry.

If that does start, I would think it'll be Murray as a third midfielder with Boland dropping outfield as more of a playmaker.

The only change I can see is Vaughan not starting. He hasn't played in a couple of months and wasn't even fit enough for the bench last weekend. That would likely mean Murray to midfield, Boland to wing forward and Coen or Carr into the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

charlie14 wrote: »
    Unless they have gone soft over the past few years, going out looking to bash Armagh up was never a great idea. There was always a mean streak in those boys.

Not bash them up literally but try to dominate midfield and breaking ball. Starve them of possession in other words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Surely this is too soon for Vaughan?

Murray to midfield surely

Doherty - if dropped - is an interesting one, he's very much been an ever present over the last few years. Horan pulling no punches with that call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭flasher0030

jr86 wrote: »
    Surely this is too soon for Vaughan?

Murray to midfield surely

Doherty - if dropped - is an interesting one, he's very much been an ever present over the last few years. Horan pulling no punches with that call

I don't think Mayo are a better team than Armagh. But I think it's a game that experience could just win through. Especially in front of a big home crowd. We don't want new players getting the jitters if things aren't going well.

For that reason, I think leaving off Doherty would be a massive mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I don't think Mayo are a better team than Armagh. But I think it's a game that experience could just win through. Especially in front of a big home crowd. We don't want new players getting the jitters if things aren't going well.

For that reason, I think leaving off Doherty would be a massive mistake.

I think people are getting carried away a bit about Armagh. Same team who hadn't won a game in the Ulster championship under McGeeney until they scraped by Down. Down, who had chief tormentor of Mayo Caolon Mooney sent off early in the game. Cavan put 23 points on them a few weeks ago for god sake. Yes Mayo have issues and despite a poor record at home surely they will be confident of getting the win. I never seen such negativity about our chances

I think people are getting carried away a bit about Armagh. Same team who hadn't won a game in the Ulster championship under McGeeney until they scraped by Down. Who had Mayo chief tormentor Caolon Mooney sent off early in the game. Cavan put 23 points on them a few weeks ago for god sake. Yes Mayo have issues and despite a poor record at home surely they will be confident of getting the win.

Yes I would agree. Armagh - they have failed to deliver anything of real quality over the last few years. The beat a monaghan team that have slipped back. I don't think Geezer is up to much either as he did nothing in Kildare and it has replicated itself in Armagh.

We have issues as you say but we should be winning this game if we are serious about our ambitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I think people are getting carried away a bit about Armagh. Same team who hadn't won a game in the Ulster championship under McGeeney until they scraped by Down. Down, who had chief tormentor of Mayo Caolon Mooney sent off early in the game. Cavan put 23 points on them a few weeks ago for god sake. Yes Mayo have issues and despite a poor record at home surely they will be confident of getting the win. I never seen such negativity about our chances

Yes has been far too much hype about Armagh. They are poor defensively and what use is their good forwards if they are starved of possession?

Mayo have never lost a qualifer game in MacHale park and I'll be surprised if that record is broken tomorrow night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yes has been far too much hype about Armagh. They are poor defensively and what use is their good forwards if they are starved of possession?

Mayo have never lost a qualifer game in MacHale park and I'll be surprised if that record is broken tomorrow night.

And if we beat them it will be like 1950 all over again with Sam on the way :D:D:P
    I shared out that note on social media, not even sure its true, totally for a laugh and the reaction was hilarious. People are too easily poked! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

yop wrote: »
    And if we beat them it will be like 1950 all over again with Sam on the way :D:D:P
    I shared out that note on social media, not even sure its true, totally for a laugh and the reaction was hilarious. People are too easily poked! :D

Just listened to the podcast.

Three games in 1950 to win the All Ireland

By in Connacht final
    Beat Roscommon
    Beat Armagh
    Beat Louth.

If Mayo were to win it now it would take at least 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,915 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Not bash them up literally but try to dominate midfield and breaking ball. Starve them of possession in other words.

That would be a better plan.
    Their defense is shaky enough but their mid-field is decent. Young Jarlath Burn in particular is going well for them.
    If Mayo do not dominate mid-field, they have a few forwards that can do serious damage. Stefan Campbell, Rian O`Neill, a new boy that is going well and the ever dangerous Jamie Clarke.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

One thing I would love to see( won't happen mind) is Higgins is to be pushed up further and let rampage against that Armagh defence. He was superb in this role in 2013. Also added to the fact that Higgins hasn't always been the best man marker in the corner. Eoin Ó D is an able deputy for him at cb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭statto25

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    One thing I would love to see( won't happen mind) is Higgins is to be pushed up further and let rampage against that Armagh defence. He was superb in this role in 2013. Also added to the fact that Higgins hasn't always been the best man marker in the corner. Eoin Ó D is an able deputy for him at cb.

That was 6 years ago. Keith is now 34 and has lost that yard of pace. Might work in an impact sub situation but not for a full game certainly

Apparently Cillian IS in the 26 thank god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    One thing I would love to see( won't happen mind) is Higgins is to be pushed up further and let rampage against that Armagh defence. He was superb in this role in 2013. Also added to the fact that Higgins hasn't always been the best man marker in the corner. Eoin D is an able deputy for him at cb.

That's pretty much what was said on the podcast.

Keith Higgins has certainly struggled in recent seasons defensively in the corner.The Kildare game last year comes to mind.I thought he got a lot of unfair criticism post Cathal Cregg's goal,if I recall correctly Chris Barrett should have offered cover for a player who was on back foot with a forward coming at him at pace.

Many posters have sensibly suggested down through the years,that such an offensive threat as Zippy should be used in a more offensive position be it in the half back line/half forward line.

I'd have no concerns about putting Eoin O Donoghue in the corner,he's likely to nail down that corner back position in the near future.

Pretty happy James Horan has mixed it up,it was only mentioned to me Mikey Murray was the Ballina Stephenites midfielder who much impressed us in the first group game of the championship when the Mitchels scraped a draw against the Stephenites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

km79 wrote: »
    Apparently Cillian IS in the 26 thank god
    Has the sub bench been confirmed elsewhere?

seligehgit wrote: »

Pretty happy James Horan has mixed it up,it was only mentioned to me Mikey Murray was the Ballina Stephenites midfielder who much impressed us in the first group game of the championship when the Mitchels scraped a draw against the Stephenites.

It would be great if he becomes a viable option for us as we badly need options in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

The sun is already out. The beer taps are chilled. BBQ's are selling fast. It seems like there's a game on in town this evening folks! Let's get behind the team and we got a positive performance and most importantly, a win.

Looking forward to see how Murray does. If he plays his natural game and the occasion doesn't over awe him too much, he'll do fine.

The sun is already out. The beer taps are chilled. BBQ's are selling fast. It seems like there's a game on in town this evening folks! Let's get behind the team and we got a positive performance and most importantly, a win.

Looking forward to see how Murray does. If he plays his natural game and the occasion doesn't over awe him too much, he'll do fine.

Indeed Bunny it's a glorious day here.

Mac Hale Park looks in optimum condition with a likely bumper crowd in town.

Hopefully the boys will do the business.

Billy Joe has come down pretty heavy on a perceived lack of patience amongst the Mayo support with a patient (side to side) build up.He thought he were most successful whence patiently probing against Down.

Valid criticism or not?

I thought in general it was successful last weekend but it's not as though it's something new we will to introduce into our armoury.Simply needs greater refining.

Sounds like Cillian will get a lot of game time tonight.

I am actually now quite optimisitic about tonight! I have a feeling too we will see Cillian off the bench(prob for Andy after 50/55) which will be a huge boost at that stage of the game. If we do indeed win then I think momentum will carry us through R4 and then a badly needed weeks rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Barlett

seligehgit wrote: »
    Billy Joe has come down pretty heavy on a perceived lack of patience amongst the Mayo support with a patient (side to side) build up.He thought he were most successful whence patiently probing against Down.

Valid criticism or not?

I thought in general it was successful last weekend but it's not as though it's something new we will to introduce into our armoury.Simply needs greater refining.

Sounds like Cillian will get a lot of game time tonight.

I think the anxiety in the crowd comes from the past few years of continuously letting teams back into games - we could be ten points up and still not feel safe. That and we tend to give the ball away when we start passing back and forth in front of the screen.

Barlett wrote: »
    I think the anxiety in the crowd comes from the past few years of continuously letting teams back into games - we could be ten points up and still not feel safe. That and we tend to give the ball away when we start passing back and forth in front of the screen.

Nail on head Barlett.

I am as perplexed as ever as to why it is when we go five or six points up we don't push on but rather pretty much do as you outlined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

I think it's probably sacrilegious to say but I do think we are way too quick to get on the teams back during games, the grumbles and groans can't help the players. Probably comes from the supporters nerves as you say

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement