Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

cat_xx wrote: »
    My insurance last year with Liberty was €1,000, got my renewal quote this week, €1,800!! No claims or penalty points or changes to my policy. Got a quote with liberty having my car at my home address in a different county to the one I currently live in and the premium was €800.

Absolute madness :(
    It is quite common for insurance companies to load prices when they have too many customers close together - like houses on a street, you don't want to insure all of them in case there is an event which affects them all.
    I am not saying this is happening in your case, but rather as an example of counter intuitive loading policies (which are not personal).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Car: 152 116D
    Years driving: me 20+ years full irish licence, wife the same
    claims: none in the last 7 years, wife the same

renewal price: 618 with supervalu (AIG)
    price and provider quote: 800 with liberty
    401 123.ie (no NCD protection)

some of the questions been asked now are getting crazy,

have you had an accident in the last 5 years that wasn't your fault?

have you claimed for windscreen damage, thought this didn't effect NCD?

also even a quote can sound cheap, it can be missing breakdown, legal expenses, NCD protection, step back and the excess can vary from 500 to 200

can someone explain the above addons, is legal expenses worth it?
    whats the difference between stepback verse NCD protection.

is it worth paying the 500 excess on a say 15000 car or should the figure be lower?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

My insurance last year with Liberty was €1,000, got my renewal quote this week, €1,800!! No claims or penalty points or changes to my policy. Got a quote with liberty having my car at my home address in a different county to the one I currently live in and the premium was €800.

Do not misrepresent your correct circumstances in order to obtain a lower quote, just my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

Do not misrepresent your correct circumstances in order to obtain a lower quote, just my advice.

Thanks, I definitely won't. I just wanted to see if I could figure out why my premium went up and I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

27, Male in Tallaght with 25 year old Spouse
    2005 BMW E60 530d
    3 points, 10+ years no claims/0 points and 1 year no claims

Renewal from KennCo: €1749 :O
    Fresh quote from 123.ie €688.54

I'll have that

Went to buy this today, and it's down a further €44 :D

• Advertisement

123.ie (RSA i think) seem to be undercutting a lot of the quotes on this thread at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Just checking around as my insurance is up next month. We changed to a diesel a few months back and now all the quotes are very high. Has anyone else experienced this with diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    123.ie (RSA i think) seem to be undercutting a lot of the quotes on this thread at the moment

Coming in the cheapest for us this year as well. What are they like to deal with?

Coming in the cheapest for us this year as well. What are they like to deal with?

never had an issue with 123, but never had to claim from them , which id imagine is not easy with any insurance company.

i just got a better quote from 25plus.ie (AIG) than 123.ie this morning,

highest 900 ish fully comp, down to 420 fully comp. all the bells and whistles.

quotes are all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    never had an issue with 123, but never had to claim from them , which id imagine is not easy with any insurance company.

i just got a better quote from 25plus.ie (AIG) than 123.ie this morning,

highest 900 ish fully comp, down to 420 fully comp. all the bells and whistles.

quotes are all over the place.

I did claim from RSA. What a pain that was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Sadb wrote: »
    Just checking around as my insurance is up next month. We changed to a diesel a few months back and now all the quotes are very high. Has anyone else experienced this with diesel?

I had a 2008 BMW 320d (2L diesel) last year and got a quote for renewal of about €1250. I happened to be looking at a 2008 325i (3L Petrol) so got a quote and RSA quoted €950.... never made sense to me as both cars were identical bar colour and engine. Only way i can explain it logically is a reputation some diesel models (golfs, passats, 320d's, etc) have with young lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Mrs T's renewal
    Car 142 Alfa Guiletta 170bhp
    Age 39, full license, full ncb
    Last year on a 2005 Yaris €490
    This year on the Alfa €690
    Comp, agreed value, etc
    Chubb Masterpiece. Didn't shop around, cover is more important than price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

29 year old with no no claims bonus, 3 years named driver experience, VW golf 1.6. licence for ten years. Added mother as named driver

Aviva: no quote
    AIG 2800
    Allianz 1154
    AXA direct 1800ish
    Zurich 1700
    AXA through a broker 1130
    Liberty: 1250
    RSA/123 1700ish
    Kennco: 1220
    AXA direct 1800

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Browney7 wrote: »
    29 year old with no no claims bonus, 3 years named driver experience, VW golf 1.6. licence for ten years. Added mother as named driver

AIG 2800
    Allianz 1154
    AXA direct 1800ish
    Zurich 1700
    RSA/123 1700ish
    AXA direct 1800

No no claims bonus because of an accident or no ins in your own name ?.
    Surely the names driver experience can be used ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

No no claims bonus because of an accident or no ins in your own name ?.
    Surely the names driver experience can be used ??

None in own name, lived abroad a few years ago. The three years named experience got me a quote but still dear. Without the second driver on the policy it would have been much dearer again

None in own name, lived abroad a few years ago. The three years named experience got me a quote but still dear. Without the second driver on the policy it would have been much dearer again

They are stupid money quotes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

I have since gone to a broker and got a quote for €870 with axa, delighted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

To illustrate the insanity of our system, my 23 year old daughter just got a quote.
    Brand new full license.
    No driving history
    Car will be brand new Polo comfort line 60bhp
    €1437 Comp with AXA
    I was quite €2,700 by Aviva for my car, 2005 Mercedes CL500
    I'm 51, driving forever with no points or claims

Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    To illustrate the insanity of our system, my 23 year old daughter just got a quote.
    Brand new full license.
    No driving history
    Car will be brand new Polo comfort line 60bhp
    €1437 Comp with AXA
    I was quite €2,700 by Aviva for my car, 2005 Mercedes CL500
    I'm 51, driving forever with no points or claims

They seem to be looking after new female drivers again. To add my missus onto my 530d was only €7, but bare in mind she only has her license a year and now only 1 years no claims :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

They seem to be looking after new female drivers again. To add my missus onto my 530d was only €7, but bare in mind she only has her license a year and now only 1 years no claims :confused:

Maybe they know you won't actually be letting her drive it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

That's nothing to do with her gender. Pretty much every single insurer has an insured and spouse discount which is outweighing her lack of experience. If she was an experienced driver you would have been getting money back

my3cents wrote: »
    Maybe they know you won't actually be letting her drive it :D
    She took it to work this morning :pac:
    Cows Go µ wrote: »
    That's nothing to do with her gender. Pretty much every single insurer has an insured and spouse discount which is outweighing her lack of experience. If she was an experienced driver you would have been getting money back

I'm 100% certain it is, as I reversed the quote and to add me on was €750 bringing the total quote to twice the price of what I got it for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I'm 100% certain it is, as I reversed the quote and to add me on was €750 bringing the total quote to twice the price of what I got it for :)

It won't have anything to do with it, unless you are both the exact same age, occupation and have the same driving history

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

I'm 100% certain it is

You're 100% wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

AIG 2800
    Allianz 1154
    AXA direct 1800ish
    Zurich 1700
    RSA/123 1700ish
    AXA direct 1800

Very very similar to myself last year. 32 years old, no NCB, 3 years named driver experience, license for 10 years.
    1100 with AXA through AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Breaking the 1K mark again :mad:

37, no claims etc, over ten years driving, full licence, 2010 1.6 ford focus, herself on it as some say help
    • 25 Plus
      924 Can't drive other cars
    • AA
      706 Breakdown 60 Extra
    • AIB
    • AIG
    • Allianz
      €604.07
    • An Post
      677, can't go below 600
    • Aviva
    • AXA
    • Blue Insurance
      1077.28 no windscreen a more
    • BOI
    • Chill
    • FBD
    • Liberty Insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I can't believe you bothered ringing or getting online quotes after BOI €445. If I got that quote that would be it done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

I can't believe you bothered ringing or getting online quotes after BOI €445. If I got that quote that would be it done and dusted.

That was one of the last as their website wont load.

So i done online places and then rang BOI and the automated service said we will send email and tried it on phone and worked

My renewal came in at €320. I called them and got it with extrasms for €280. Its always worth a call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My renewal came in at €320. I called them and got it with extrasms for €280. Its always worth a call.

What are you driving?

Advertisement