Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you buy beside social housing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think i would but only after doing a few cruises at day and night, you get a feel.
    Personally i do not think the Councils etc should be buying on the open market, they should build.
    Its a crazy situation where people on low income have to compete with local authorities to buy a house.
    Then the house rent be paid for by whatever means is available for this.
    I do not know what NAMA and the local authorities NAMA said some years ago they get involved in housing.
    Are they still in excistence?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Not in a million years. Not that I think everybody using social housing is problematic - far from it - but the chances are much higher of getting neighbours that won’t respect their own property never mind their neighbours, and more likely to be out of work and staying up all night with loud music or dealing drugs from the house (that was my experience renting in a council estate while in college) so to minimise the risk it would I be a no, just like I wouldn’t buy somewhere with a greater risk of flooding etc.

Maybe if the Irish welfare system changes so it’s only those in need that get assistance, rather than anybody who is too lazy to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭oceanman

all private housing estates will have a mixture of social houses in them now anyway, so you pay your money and take your chance.

oceanman wrote: »
    all private housing estates will have a mixture of social houses in them now anyway, so you pay your money and take your chance.

Not all, if you mean part iv. They can do a deal in smaller estates to provide the difference in other developments. It happens.

They can also allocate a section of a larger estate to have a higher mix and essentially have one end their allocation.

Now, with the council renting from the private market also through HAP its true that no semi-d comes with any guarantees these days.

But you can def find out enough in advance to lower certain odds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I just met the person who received the house a couple of doors up from me in a small development of less than 20 houses.

They seemed nice, but also introduced me to their father, young daughter and son (who seems to be in his 20's ish).. All of whom seemed to be moving into a two bed house... Maybe I'm wrong and not being judgemental, but not sure a 2 bed is appropriate for that family. Maybe I took her comments wrong and it's just her and her daughter. Anyways, they seemed very pleasant and are from the general area, it's nice to see all of the houses being occupied and hopefully the builder will finish up to the quality suggested in the planning approval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Gally79 wrote: »
    Would an estate agent or developer be obliged to tell you if and which houses in the estate have been bought by the housing authorities?

They're only interested in selling the house and anything that might prevent them doing that would be swept under the carpet. If it's a managed estate the management company would know but the monster that is GDPR would probably prevent them from telling you.
    Just heard yesterday that there is a motion to increase the proportion of social and affordable housing from 10 to 20% of all new houses built in private estates. This is a disgrace and it means that the chances of someone who has worked their arse off and put themselves in hock to the vulture banks for 30 to 40 years, now has their chances of buying next door to a shower of absolute arseholes, doubled.
    The affordable houses situation can be ok because at least those people are willing to do their bit and will probably look after the property but social housing, although supposed to be for the less well off and deserving cases, seems to have an inordinate amount of wasters who have never done a tap in their lives yet drive around in Audis and Beamers wearing top of the rance designer gear and partying all night. It seems to be beyond the wit of Social Welfare to ascertain how this is possible, they just continue to heap tens of millions of our Euros into these parasites' pockets, in Rent Assistance and other assorted goodies .
    As for the County Councils, don't let "Zero Tolerance" fool you, it is a myth put out there to make it look like they have the situation under control, they don't. I know from personal experience that the Council in our County will do SFA about anti social behaviour among HAP tenants in private housing estates, even though they are co-signatories to the lease which guarantees they will. They pass it all off to the landlord who nobody sees and whose identity may not even be known except to the Council and the tenant, unless the neighbour undertakes costly search procedures which, in the end, may still be fruitless.
    Apologies for the rant but it is a red rag to me when I see somebody like you, who has obviously worked hard to get into the position to make, what is bound to be a decision that will affect them for the rest of their lives, thrown to the wolves by the indifference and incompetence of the authorities whose mandate is to look after your interests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭corks finest

Marhay70 wrote: »
    They're only interested in selling the house and anything that might prevent them doing that would be swept under the carpet. If it's a managed estate the management company would know but the monster that is GDPR would probably prevent them from telling you.
    Just heard yesterday that there is a motion to increase the proportion of social and affordable housing from 10 to 20% of all new houses built in private estates. This is a disgrace and it means that the chances of someone who has worked their arse off and put themselves in hock to the vulture banks for 30 to 40 years, now has their chances of buying next door to a shower of absolute arseholes, doubled.
    The affordable houses situation can be ok because at least those people are willing to do their bit and will probably look after the property but social housing, although supposed to be for the less well off and deserving cases, seems to have an inordinate amount of wasters who have never done a tap in their lives yet drive around in Audis and Beamers wearing top of the rance designer gear and partying all night. It seems to be beyond the wit of Social Welfare to ascertain how this is possible, they just continue to heap tens of millions of our Euros into these parasites' pockets, in Rent Assistance and other assorted goodies .
    As for the County Councils, don't let "Zero Tolerance" fool you, it is a myth put out there to make it look like they have the situation under control, they don't. I know from personal experience that the Council in our County will do SFA about anti social behaviour among HAP tenants in private housing estates, even though they are co-signatories to the lease which guarantees they will. They pass it all off to the landlord who nobody sees and whose identity may not even be known except to the Council and the tenant, unless the neighbour undertakes costly search procedures which, in the end, may still be fruitless.
    Apologies for the rant but it is a red rag to me when I see somebody like you, who has obviously worked hard to get into the position to make, what is bound to be a decision that will affect them for the rest of their lives, thrown to the wolves by the indifference and incompetence of the authorities whose mandate is to look after your interests

A lot of what you say is v true, but not all are wasters in social housing,I come from private but due to a break up etc etc have lived in a housing association house last 12 year's,I raised my now youngest 18 yrs old here, he's heading to become a secondary teacher this Sept God willing.
    Some around me do work,some don't,used be serious anti social issues,it's kinda settling,
    What this place lacks is any civic pride, littering,some kids running wild etc ,some but certainly not all parents just don't put in the effort into training their kids to become normal citizens,but some do, if I had a choice ( now in my 60s) I wouldn't be here,and wouldn't advise anyone to live in a council area, especially a fairly new one, simply cos the councils mainly turn a blind eye to what goes on,I'm a Cluid tenant and can state that for the past 3 yrs they've been pro active in dealing with antisocial behaviour, one evicted for dealing and prostitution, another prick on the way out as soon as covid-19 is sorted,but the co council tenant's down the road fibas the want without any fear of getting anything concrete dine against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

0:56

Now that's funny, it's some sight from your condo.It must be a thing there to purposely lord it over people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

People driving Ferrari's and hummers over looking slums, WHY WHY?

If you can afford such things why not live in a nice play, it must be a culture thing over there, to lord it over people, must be a status thing.
    Total opposite in Ireland, you'd want to live in a amazing location if wealthy, to have no sight or sound of the less fortunate.

People driving Ferrari's and hummers over looking slums, WHY WHY?

If you can afford such things why not live in a nice play, it must be a culture thing over there, to lord it over people, must be a status thing.
    Total opposite in Ireland, you'd want to live in a amazing location if wealthy, to have no sight or sound of the less fortunate.

I think ordinary folk just want peace wherever they live, unfortunately in large council estate's
    It's impossible as the councils etc really don't vet prospective tenant's and once in hard to get rid of,so I say anyone who can afford to live in a nice quiet area wherever they choose well done,just remember we all in the main are normal ordinary folk who choose to behave irrespective what's in our bank balance, or what car one drives,only passing through chaps.
    In my past life I lived in middle class Bishopstown
    Working class Creggan estate Derry and can honestly say I met the best of ppl in both areas,no snobbery etc but plenty of civic pride in the main, where you'd get a kick up the hole at minimum for cheeking elderly ,and parents etc expected and largely got productive loved young ppl who turned out ok

• Advertisement

A lot of what you say is v true, but not all are wasters in social housing,I come from private but due to a break up etc etc have lived in a housing association house last 12 year's,I raised my now youngest 18 yrs old here, he's heading to become a secondary teacher this Sept God willing.
    Some around me do work,some don't,used be serious anti social issues,it's kinda settling,
    What this place lacks is any civic pride, littering,some kids running wild etc ,some but certainly not all parents just don't put in the effort into training their kids to become normal citizens,but some do, if I had a choice ( now in my 60s) I wouldn't be here,and wouldn't advise anyone to live in a council area, especially a fairly new one, simply cos the councils mainly turn a blind eye to what goes on,I'm a Cluid tenant and can state that for the past 3 yrs they've been pro active in dealing with antisocial behaviour, one evicted for dealing and prostitution, another prick on the way out as soon as covid-19 is sorted,but the co council tenant's down the road fibas the want without any fear of getting anything concrete dine against them.

I didn't say all were, I said an inordinate amount meaning a lot more than you would expect. I lived for 15 years after I was married, in a Council estate in Tallaght. Everone of the neighbours on my road had jobs, maintained their houses, cut their lawns, etc. etc. There was no rolling up to the local Social Welfare office in a Merc or a Land Rover.
    Then the Government, Fine Gael it was, with their customary foresight, decided it was a good idea to bribe these people to give up their houses and buy into the private market, killing several birds with one stone, reducing the need to build Local Authority houses and creating a nice little earner for the developers, solicitors, and auctioneers who numbered among their ranks.
    The policy then was to fill those vacated houses with, what could only be described as the dregs of society, workshy, drug dealing, thieves and conmen from all over Dublin City. For a while, this wasn't too bad as the good far outnumbered the bad but eventually, the tide turned as the workers decided to take the money and move out. I visited the area last year to see an old friend and it was heartbreaking to see the condition of the place, burned-out houses, bars on windows, obviously stolen cars careering around the place. The streets were full of youths and young men with presumably nothing to do except get up to mischief. This is the legacy of just one stupid and selfish government decision, there have been many since, paramount among which was the decision to stop building social housing, again enriching developers.
    Governments over the years have painted themselves and us into a corner by guaranteeing everyone a home without extracting a quid pro quo.
    Millions in rent assistance payments are lost every year by paying them directly into the hands of ne'er do wells living in private rented accommodation, who then spend it in the pub, along with the childrens' allowance, leaving decent landlords ( there are many) to grin and bear it. Getting the defaulters to pay up is an impossible task and getting the tenants out, even more difficult but the Local Authority will pay the allowance again the next month and the next. The system is broken and no politician has the will or the inclination to fix it for fear of falling foul of the bleeding heart liberals riding their bikes around the leafy streets of Blackrock and Dalkey. Instead they keep installing these wasters into the house next door to you or me and expect us to put up with it and pay our mortgages like the good citizens we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

No. Too much of a risk of living next door to a tonne of loud kids who bang doors day and night, as well as single mothers or people who dont work and will be at home every hour of the day. I have to think of the resale value too.
    Now i know of course there is just as much a chance of a nightmare neighbour being a professional in a wealthy area who plays music and acts generally like a scumbag, but given the choice? Not a chance would i live next to social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would avoid if at all possible too risky and resale would be a concern . Most people who make themselves a better life from these areas more than often move away first chance they get so the wasters are left there .There are of course some very decent people around but most anti social carry on happens in these estates .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Yes. They are human, just like all of your neighbours mortgaged to the hilt in a private housing community, and just like all of your neighbours that rent and are receiving HAP.

Why do people think 'success' in a deeply flawed capitalistic society is a positive character trait? Some of the nicest people I ever knew lived in council estates and some of the worst lived in nice posh developments.
    LuasSimon wrote: »
    Social housing in more recent times is often rewarding people who never did a days work in their life and expect the state to fund their family’s life’s . Drugs and crime are also common problems .

Meanwhile you work all your life and pay your way and have exactly the same house as these people .

Why do you think working and paying your way makes you any better then people who suffered greatly from health problems or have fallen on hard times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Then the Government, Fine Gael it was, with their customary foresight, decided it was a good idea to bribe these people to give up their houses and buy into the private market, killing several birds with one stone, reducing the need to build Local Authority houses and creating a nice little earner for the developers, solicitors, and auctioneers who numbered among their ranks.

I think you will find it was Charlie Haughey's Fianna Fail. One of the worst ideas ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The original question still remains- would you buy beside social housing? No one would voluntarily buy beside it seems to be the answer for all.

I did, the man and his son living next door to me both work, and look after a special needs relative. From what I can gather most of the people in my cul de sac work. I think people in Ireland are very snobby when it comes to social housing, nearly everyone works in Ireland these days (pre covid anyway), we were at full employment. Apart from that you get some who just didn't develop in a way that they're likely to hold down jobs for long or be interested in working at all, that's a tiny amount of people and they're few and far between.
    There are definitely some no go areas where you shouldn't buy, but I have friends who bought in places like Cabra, Balbriggan, Crumlin and the IFSC which are a mix of private and social and they like where they live and enjoy their lives.
    Some people are just so paranoid of areas with working class accents in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I did, the man and his son living next door to me both work, and look after a special needs relative. From what I can gather most of the people in my cul de sac work. I think people in Ireland are very snobby when it comes to social housing, nearly everyone works in Ireland these days (pre covid anyway), we were at full employment. Apart from that you get some who just didn't develop in a way that they're likely to hold down jobs for long or be interested in working at all, that's a tiny amount of people and they're few and far between.
    There are definitely some no go areas where you shouldn't buy, but I have friends who bought in places like Cabra, Balbriggan, Crumlin and the IFSC which are a mix of private and social and they like where they live and enjoy their lives.
    Some people are just so paranoid of areas with working class accents in this country.

Your last comment is a bit odd. Most of Ireland is working class, we arent a new country populated by the upper or wealthy echolons of society. They may not always be represnted but middle class and beyond dont make up the majority of our population.
    And the issue isnt even accents or being a snob. Ive lived in enough places to know that scumbags are scumbags, regardless of age,gender or bank balance. The issue is would you choose to live next to social housing and it appears that a lot of people wouldnt.

The issue is would you choose to live next to social housing and it appears that a lot of people wouldnt.

Some of these are the same people who moan about having to drive to Dublin from Edgeworthstown every day for work, when they could have bought somewhere in Dublin it just would have been a little more rustic.
    The accent thing is relevant because where I live people have strong Dublin accents, if you go 2 kilometers or so down to the coast the people that live there sound totally different, but housing there will never be affordable to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

YellowLead wrote: »
    Maybe if the Irish welfare system changes so it’s only those in need that get assistance, rather than anybody who is too lazy to work.

the irish wellfare system is already operating exactly in the way you are looking for.
    are there piss takers? sure, but some of them ultimately get dealt with eventually.
    however to deal with them all would require serious resources that the electorate are just not willing to fund, and even if they were cost v benefit would still need to apply in some form so that we don't end up spending double to save a pittence.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

crossman47 wrote: »
    I think you will find it was Charlie Haughey's Fianna Fail. One of the worst ideas ever.

My recollection is that it was Garret Fitzgerald's government in around 1985 that initiated the scheme although governments changed about once a fortnight at that time, I'll have a search for it.

https://www.ucd.ie/geary/static/publications/workingpapers/gearywp201306.pdf

If you read page 16 here you will see it lists the measure I'm talking about as being introduced in 1984, during the tenure of Fine Gael/ Labour. I have absolute confidence that Fianna Fail have been guilty of many equally stupid, misguided policies, just not this one.

• Advertisement

I didn't say all were, I said an inordinate amount meaning a lot more than you would expect. I lived for 15 years after I was married, in a Council estate in Tallaght. Everone of the neighbours on my road had jobs, maintained their houses, cut their lawns, etc. etc. There was no rolling up to the local Social Welfare office in a Merc or a Land Rover.
    The policy then was to fill those vacated houses with, what could only be described as the dregs of society, workshy, drug dealing, thieves and conmen from all over Dublin City. For a while, this wasn't too bad as the good far outnumbered the bad but eventually, the tide turned as the workers decided to take the money and move out. I visited the area last year to see an old friend and it was heartbreaking to see the condition of the place, burned-out houses, bars on windows, obviously stolen cars careering around the place. The streets were full of youths and young men with presumably nothing to do except get up to mischief. This is the legacy of just one stupid and selfish government decision, there have been many since, paramount among which was the decision to stop building social housing, again enriching developers.
    Governments over the years have painted themselves and us into a corner by guaranteeing everyone a home without extracting a quid pro quo.
    Millions in rent assistance payments are lost every year by paying them directly into the hands of ne'er do wells living in private rented accommodation, who then spend it in the pub, along with the childrens' allowance, leaving decent landlords ( there are many) to grin and bear it. Getting the defaulters to pay up is an impossible task and getting the tenants out, even more difficult but the Local Authority will pay the allowance again the next month and the next. The system is broken and no politician has the will or the inclination to fix it for fear of falling foul of the bleeding heart liberals riding their bikes around the leafy streets of Blackrock and Dalkey. Instead they keep installing these wasters into the house next door to you or me and expect us to put up with it and pay our mortgages like the good citizens we are.

Great sensible post

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Kids running wild???? Can you elaborate? Does this mean more than kids being kids and running around playing. I'm sure some people would like a quiet neighbourhood but kids should be out playing. If they were inside on a PlayStation you would be saying kids are lazy these days.

Kids running wild???? Can you elaborate? Does this mean more than kids being kids and running around playing. I'm sure some people would like a quiet neighbourhood but kids should be out playing. If they were inside on a PlayStation you would be saying kids are lazy these days.

Kids as in feral teens ,anti social behaviour,belting cars,few windows and house doors damaged,trees broken,kids bikes stolen,gardai and HSE and eventually cork co council-( warning letters to 3 tenant's (
    Cluid got the community gardai onboard,now shaping up slowly, eviction by Cluid helped I suggest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’d live anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

It really depends on the council estates . There's 3 council estates in my area . I'd only live in one now , but 25years ago it was a kip . As most of the trouble families died of drugs , locked up or moved on, as it more of an older population living there it's a nice and quiet now with very little trouble . Out of the other two one in particular that really bad as you've travellers , Africans and local drug dealers fighting with each other . Most people in council estates are grand except for a few families . If the council came down hard on scum families it'd make life easier for everyone .

Free you mean.

She doesn't work so any money she gets is not earned, the small amount given to the council is also state money.

yeah, still subsidized.

If the "system" worked, some might reckon she should have been in jail but sure when did common sense ever prevail in the "system".

that's a different system, nothing to do with the wellfare system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭StevenToast

No.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Paul Griffen

Lockheed wrote: »
    Yes. They are human, just like all of your neighbours mortgaged to the hilt in a private housing community, and just like all of your neighbours that rent and are receiving HAP.

Why do people think 'success' in a deeply flawed capitalistic society is a positive character trait? Some of the nicest people I ever knew lived in council estates and some of the worst lived in nice posh developments.

Why do you think working and paying your way makes you any better then people who suffered greatly from health problems or have fallen on hard times?

Because it shows better character when you decide to stand on your own two feet.
    Id live by the annoying pri(k that's self made any day over someone working as hard maintaining their handouts if in full health.
    It's unfortunate being on welfare is an allowed career here with great benefits.

yeah, still subsidized.

that's a different system, nothing to do with the welfare system.

The "system", is the all-encompassing game these people play, including Social Welfare, Justice, Legal Aid, etc. all interlinked, as one is dependent on the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Paul Griffen

Or maybe enacting legislation to ensure the father(s) of these children and countless more like them, contribute to their support.

Earnings are very low in prison, not much to go around after buying tobacco and hooch. Smuggling fees are either through the roof or a pain in the ass 😉

I'm sure the kids receive a card once in a while from Uncle daddy.

Be careful, remember you cant tar all with the same blah blah blah.

correct, you can't.

Has anybody met a member of this 'not all are bad' group because I had my latest interaction with a traveller this week and it yet again ended in me preventing them commit a crime.

have had plenty of interactions over the years and some are even friends.
    most interactions have been good but i have certainly had some bad ones.

Pure victims this group, and if you choose not to live near them to ensure the safety of your family, property or you want to live is a decent community setting then shame on you, racist.

those who have done nothing but are being picked on because of the actions of others, something which people can get away with in relation to this group but wouldn't with other groups and wouldn't dare try anything, are certainly victims, yes.

Because it shows better character when you decide to stand on your own two feet.

oh no, it really doesn't.
    sure, it is what one should do as the freedoms that come with it are over all better, even if the sacrifices can be heavier, but it doesn't automatically make one a better character.

Id live by the annoying pri(k that's self made any day over someone working as hard maintaining their handouts if in full health.
    It's unfortunate being on welfare is an allowed career here with great benefits.

it's not an allowed career, rather it is accepted that some people are just unemployable and the cost to even make them a tiny bit, assuming anyone would even take them on, is just not worth it for the unlikely benefit.

Don't do it, too much risk. If you want peace of mind try and buy near a politician, all their public utterances are only for show, they will protect the area they live in.

Mod

This thread is for general discussion on buying next to social housing. It is not for targeting specific individuals. I have just deleted several posts which did just that. There was already a thread about that person closed. This will not turn into another one. Please stay on topic.

The only thing that is common to all social-housing tenants is that they have had a low household income when approved for social housing. So what people are really assuming is that anyone who is, or has been, poor is inherently undesirable as a neighbour.

I understand not wanting to live beside a disruptive neighbour, but as our very exasperated neighbours will tell you, that isn't limited to social housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The only thing that is common to all social-housing tenants is that they have had a low household income when approved for social housing. So what people are really assuming is that anyone who is, or has been, poor is inherently undesirable as a neighbour.

I understand not wanting to live beside a disruptive neighbour, but as our very exasperated neighbours will tell you, that isn't limited to social housing.

I don't think that's what's being debated here... I do believe that what others are trying to express, is that some people chose to be or present themselves as poor in order to benefit from the generous socialist system we as a society provide . That type of person is often not very socially minded themselves.

Not to take away from anyone who is genuinely in need of assistance, but the former are making life more difficult for you.

I don't mind living next to social housing that is fairly and appropriately distributed. I have no desire to live beside scummers, whether socialists or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

You mean their income that was documented was below the threshold.

Ush1 wrote: »
    You mean their income that was documented was below the threshold.

Suppose another way of looking at this whole topic is-most on here come from ppl who rented some time in their lives or v certainly in their parents or grandparents time

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cristianc

I saw there's a large new building on Malahide road with Belmayne, Dublin - 500 apartments (social). I was thinking about buying a home in the area. Should I reconsider this?

Elessar wrote: »
    Well, would you?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

All very well but happens when social housing buys beside you.

And dear departed missus mulhall becomes ms yehdksbfjsk..

Bobblehats wrote: »
    All very well but happens when social housing buys beside you.

And dear departed missus mulhall becomes ms yehdksbfjsk..

If you mean they might be foreign the chances are they'll be nice and not anti social, rather that than a family in grey tracksuits and pyjamas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Cristianc wrote: »
    I saw there's a large new building on Malahide road with Belmayne, Dublin - 500 apartments (social). I was thinking about buying a home in the area. Should I reconsider this?

Whatever one's views on social housing is, the one thing that is worse is social housing apartments. They (thankfully) knocked down the block near me and it improved the area quite a bit.

In the private apartment complex I own my rental in, there are a couple of units rented to the council, the residents of both take up a huge amount of time and resources in anti-social behaviour and two fingers to the house rules.

If you mean they might be foreign the chances are they'll be nice and not anti social, rather that than a family in grey tracksuits and pyjamas.

It's my experience that anybody who puts their own resources into buying a house is usually a decent neighbour no matter where they come from or whether they be black, white, yellow, pink or multicoloured.
    It's the crowd who think everyone else owes them a living that causes the problems.

Whatever one's views on social housing is, the one thing that is worse is social housing apartments. They (thankfully) knocked down the block near me and it improved the area quite a bit.

In the private apartment complex I own my rental in, there are a couple of units rented to the council, the residents of both take up a huge amount of time and resources in anti-social behaviour and two fingers to the house rules.

Do you have a management company and have they complained to the Council?
    The problem with most people is that when they go home in the evening they close the door and block out the world so if the problem isn't directly affecting them, they ignore it. This is where management companies can be a benefit, they only need one or two residents to complain and they can take action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Do you have a management company and have they complained to the Council?
    The problem with most people is that when they go home in the evening they close the door and block out the world so if the problem isn't directly affecting them, they ignore it. This is where management companies can be a benefit, they only need one or two residents to complain and they can take action.

I'm a director of the OMC and we have a really good Managing Agent, who is sadly about to retire. The council (DCC) get a complaint on at least a weekly basis and couldn't give a flying :pac:.

The only thing that hasn't been done, which I am blue in the face telling the owner occupier directors, is continual and constant complaints to the RTB causing the German REIT that owns the apartment with one of the tenants a bit of a paint in the arse.

The other lot are just your run of the mill junkies and the apartment is owned a private person, who has rented to the council. The suggestion from the council is that we're biggots as we don't want open drug dealing, needles and the caretaker having a bloody finger thrust in his face. There is nothing the owner (and member of the OMC) can do as they're locked in.

Trust me the council take the view of, tough ****, what else do you expect us to do with them?

I'm a director of the OMC and we have a really good Managing Agent, who is sadly about to retire. The council (DCC) get a complaint on at least a weekly basis and couldn't give a flying :pac:.

The only thing that hasn't been done, which I am blue in the face telling the owner occupier directors, is continual and constant complaints to the RTB causing the German REIT that owns the apartment with one of the tenants a bit of a paint in the arse.

The other lot are just your run of the mill junkies and the apartment is owned a private person, who has rented to the council. The suggestion from the council is that we're biggots as we don't want open drug dealing, needles and the caretaker having a bloody finger thrust in his face. There is nothing the owner (and member of the OMC) can do as they're locked in.

Trust me the council take the view of, tough ****, what else do you expect us to do with them?

The Council won't give a s*it until you make them. They will have signed a lease agreement with the owner of the apartment which is legally binding on both of them but they will have loaded the onus on to the landlord who is ultimately responsible for the behaviour of their tenants. Keep pursuing both of them and if necessary threaten legal action.
    We had very much the same experience here with a landlord who didn't give a toss, and wouldn't pay his management fees but persistence won out in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Buying in a new development now doesn't guarantee anything. Neighbours can be owners, private renters, subsidized renters (hap) or social tenants, nobody really knows how someone pays for their accommodation. I have no idea about most of my neighbours, they could be any of the above.

Most people just want to get on with their lives without neighbour problems but they do happen & if it can't be sorted you just have to ignore/avoid the other person or move. Maybe every development should have a residents association similar to the OMC's in apartment blocks or a neighbourhood watch scheme, that might help if there's any anti-social issues. It can be annoying if you've paid big bucks for your house & someone who pays very little causes problems.

OP, research the locality well & if you buy in an area you like & can afford, that has the services & facilities you want, e.g. young families, schools, bus routes, near shops etc. thats all you can do really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Been living in my current location for 24 years.
    The only problems I've had with a neighbours in this time have been from 2 owner occupiers.

The vast majority of properties around me are not owner occupiers.

I don't understand this notion that because you've bought your house, you are a better person. My experience says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JuanBerrosa

listermint wrote: »
    Grew up in social housing.

Am I a bad person?

Must be my degree and my wife's degree and our top rate tax jobs that make us bad.

Oh she grew up in social housing too. We own our own place now as do our parents. It was a great step start for everyone's life's.

Why do you hate people? Are you better than us ? Go on answer it be honest.

Great, and good on you, unfortunately you are in a minority, most people wouldn't want to buy next to social housing with the anti social problems it would bring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement