Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy beside social housing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I forgot free tv licence

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fr. Pat Noise

You must be doing fock all yourself if you are able to observe these people day and night.

I have eyes in my head and live there so not hard to miss. Their antics sometimes make me chuckle it’s sometimes unbelievable how some of them live up to the stereotype you’d think they were using some sort of instruction manual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

The irony of people I know complaining about people who don't work and get free handouts is that the complainant wouldn't put up with or tollerate one of these members of the community in the work place.

They know all their rights, make a lot of noise like empty vessels and your nerves would be shot coming in on a Monday morning.

There's people out there who are not capable of doing an honest day's work.

It's not in their nature to fit in with people different to them, they just like dicking around and getting in the way.

I have a team of workers and we employed one of these people, within the second week they started to abuse the sick entitlements.

Then they would start to find health and safety issues, looking for better working conditions.

Rain money.... you name it they'll look for it.

They're more clever than you or I think.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 huiwe878778

Elessar wrote: »
    Well, would you?

Say you're in the market for a house and you've worked hard and saved for years to finally put down a deposit on a nice new 3 bed in a lovely new estate for you and your family, only to find out that the houses either side of you have been bought by the council for social housing use. What would you do?

Be honest.

Me, I would be looking elsewhere. I had this conversation with some friends recently and they were all in agreement, the risk of bad tenants is just too great. What do boardsies think?

It's too broad, your question.

They way you have structured it, an answer must be given simply on the basis of social housing / private.

In reality, there are beautiful social housing estates and horrific private estates and vice versa - and of course many estates that were once entirely council-owned and have now been bought by council tenants and then sold on the private market and then bought and sold again - very gentrified.

It has a lot to do with the area, the specific part of the area, the other adjacent features - it's just too broad, what you are asking.

And therein lies the problem: the only way someone can give a definitive answer to your question, is if they resort to prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I have eyes in my head and live there so not hard to miss. Their antics sometimes make me chuckle it’s sometimes unbelievable how some of them live up to the stereotype you’d think they were using some sort of instruction manual.

And you sir are also living up to the stereotype.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

nthclare wrote: »

It's not in their nature to fit in with people different to them, they just like dicking around and getting in the way.

Slight tangent, but i read before that the US Military have concluded that below an IQ of 80 people are of no use for any practical reason, they cannot be given any task whatsoever to do that they won't fúck up somehow, they don't even make good cannon fodder. Now you may be thinking that's extremely low and it is, but it equates to the bottom 10% of the population. Then add in the junkies, the alcos, the terminally lazy, the recidivist criminals and the general wasters and you've a fair chunk of the population who will just never contribute.

The irony of people I know complaining about people who don't work and get free handouts is that the complainant wouldn't put up with or tollerate one of these members of the community in the work place.

They know all their rights, make a lot of noise like empty vessels and your nerves would be shot coming in on a Monday morning.

I have a team of workers and we employed one of these people, within the second week they started to abuse the sick entitlements.

Then they would start to find health and safety issues, looking for better working conditions.

Rain money.... you name it they'll look for it.

They're more clever than you or I think.....
    “these people” eh?
    Maybe you should review your recruitment policy?

Slight tangent, but i read before that the US Military have concluded that below an IQ of 80 people are of no use for any practical reason, they cannot be given any task whatsoever to do that they won't fúck up somehow, they don't even make good cannon fodder. Now you may be thinking that's extremely low and it is, but it equates to the bottom 10% of the population. Then add in the junkies, the alcos, the terminally lazy, the recidivist criminals and the general wasters and you've a fair chunk of the population who will just never contribute.

Can you link that study by the US Military please.
    Also, only an idiot would think someone with an IQ of below 80 are of no use for any practical reason?

Can you link that study by the US Military please.
    Also, only an idiot would think someone with an IQ or below 80 are of no use for any practical reason?

define 'idiot'

define 'idiot'

Cretin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://youtu.be/yO0v_JqxFmQ

Its a very short about 10mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

My youngest sister got 525 points in her leaving cert in 2006, you might think that is a sign of intelligence yet she cannot make a sandwich without assistance, her house is a pig sty and she locks herself out of it every other week, she is not on drugs either, just utterly incompetent

Some people are just born useless regardless of I. Q

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

The house next door to mines been sold to welfare.
    They tell me they're boggers from Kildare.
    But I know they're not, they're Finglas people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I wouldn't buy a house next to social housing. Like it or not there is a a stronger probability that there will be trouble somewhere down the line. Marketing facts speak for themselves, houses are more expensive when they are not near social housing. Why is that I wonder ? Because nobody wants to live nextdoor to a sh!thole. Some ok areas have gone bad in recent years because of the state buying up houses in private areas. Once you hear your neighbour saying " Get us a pack of fags down Tesco will ya ?' Straight away your house is worth 25% less then the one up the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I said you could tell with 50% accuracy in primary school, maybe 90% in secondary, not that 50% of people were wastes of space.

Some people are just no good, no amount of hand ups, hand outs or hand wringing is going to change that.

What about the 50% you were wrong about?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fr. Pat Noise

And you sir are also living up to the stereotype.

What stereotype is that? The hard working tax paying homeowner stereotype?

What stereotype is that? The hard working tax paying homeowner stereotype?

No, the After Hours stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We bought a house in a new estate and found out that the 2 houses beside us are Social housing, not much we can do now.

But that got me thinking that i was born and raised in a council house and i turned out semi decent, so i'm hoping it'll be the same story for my new neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Vicxas wrote: »
    We bought a house in a new estate and found out that the 2 houses beside us are Social housing, not much we can do now.

But that got me thinking that i was born and raised in a council house and i turned out semi decent, so i'm hoping it'll be the same story for my new neighbours.
    How in gods name can brand new houses be given as social houses while others have to pay for them?

Mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

lola85 wrote: »
    How in gods name can brand new houses be given as social houses while others have to pay for them?

Mind boggling.

It’s literally the law of the land. Crazy left wing government we have

• Advertisement

Mind boggling.

Newsflash. The tenants have to pay for them too. They pay rent for the use of the house.

Unlike the buyer who is buying an asset, the tenant will never own the home.

Its really not that mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

AulWan wrote: »
    Newsflash. The tenants have to pay for them too. They pay rent for the use of the house.

Some will pay rent and their should be no issue with them. The issue is when its taxpayers money paying for their rent because they can't be holed to work, ever. This is not paying rent, its passing money along from one governement dept to another.

And you can buy social housing houses. Without competition and at reasonable rates, which is a better deal than most.

So all that social housing sold years ago at discounted rates was a figmant of my imagination?

So all that social housing sold years ago at discounted rates was a figmant of my imagination?

Can we keep to the present, thanks?

Can we keep to the present, thanks?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/buying_your_local_authority_house.html

You will get a discount of 60%, 50% or 40% off the purchase price of the house. The level of the discount depends on your income.

This is the present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Vicxas wrote: »

It probably will be the same story, Vic. They are most likely decent folk like yourself. Assuming they are, is there any part of you that thinks its unfair still?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

What about the 50% you were wrong about?

I was wrong about them. What's your point?

Sometimes people you think wouldn't amount to shít turn out quite well, sometimes people you thought would turn out fine go off the rails, the younger you make the prediction the less accurate it is, by the time you get towards the end of secondary school you could be 80 - 90% certain what way they'll go.

I honestly don't see how anyone in their right mind could disagree with that.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/buying_your_local_authority_house.html

You will get a discount of 60%, 50% or 40% off the purchase price of the house. The level of the discount depends on your income.

This is the present.

By definition, a tenant is not a buyer, and as long as someone is a tenant, they will never own the house they are living in.

I never said they could NEVER buy their houses.

Still mind boggled? Or do you need me to dumb it down for you even further?

By definition, a tenant is not a buyer, and as long as someone is a tenant, they will never own the house they are living in.

I never said they could NEVER buy their houses.

Still mind boggled? Or do you need me to dumb it down for you even further?

What?

Of course people in social houses can but they that was the discussion.

“Several purchase schemes have been developed to enable TENANTS of local authority houses or apartments to buy their homes from the local authority”

• Advertisement

I was wrong about them. What's your point?

Sometimes people you think wouldn't amount to shít turn out quite well, sometimes people you thought would turn out fine go off the rails, the younger you make the prediction the less accurate it is, by the time you get towards the end of secondary school you could be 80 - 90% certain what way they'll go.

I honestly don't see how anyone in their right mind could disagree with that.

The point is, if you already know you can't predict anything with absolutely certainty, then you should not be making pre-judgements at all.

Advertisement