Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy beside social housing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭corks finest

listermint wrote:
    Il presume you are aware that the overall majority of people living in social housing work have jobs and contribute. Or maybe your just a I'll informed Person.

I work /contribute and live in social housing and TBH it's ****e+ no civic pride ,feral kids / teens/ drugs/ drink/ noise at all hours-who needs this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The entire thread is just about classist snobbery. Sorry if it offends you to state the obvious.

The entire housing market is about class driven snobbery except while not wanting to live beside social welfare recipients might make some sense statistically, not wanting to live beside doctors, IT workers, accountants etc doesn’t. But that’s exactly what the people living in Dalkey etc do.

I'd buy it.

I couldnt care less that my neighbours might have less money than me or might be working class.

Where do you actually live though?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

So in the thread we seem to have 2 types of people

- people with experience with social housing saying to get away from it
    - people with no experience with social housing saying they wouldn't mind it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The entire thread is just about classist snobbery. Sorry if it offends you to state the obvious.
    its about culture rather than class, comrade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

biko wrote: »

You forgot about the people who grew up in social housing, went on to buy privately, but accept social housing in their area because they know not everyone who lives in a social house is a "scrote".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

AulWan wrote: »
    You forgot about the people who grew up in social housing, went on to buy priately, but accept social housing in their area because they know not everyone who lives in a social house is a "scrote".
    no one said everyone. its just far more likely that if you live alongside social housing (or a halting site) that you will endure antisocial behaviour. many people dont have a choice, i didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You forgot about the people who grew up in social housing, went on to buy priately, but accept social housing in their area because they know not everyone who lives in a social house is a "scrote".

Very few people in this thread have an issue with social housing specifically. I concede some do. What they have an issue with is scrotes. You are far more likely to get scrotes in social housing than you are in private housing, that's not being a snob, that's the ability to look at facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You forgot about the people who grew up in social housing, went on to buy privately, but accept social housing in their area because they know not everyone who lives in a social house is a "scrote".

It's about playing the percentages, likleyhood of trouble from social housing tenants is far higher, the culture of the day also ensures nothing will happen to the tenants who step out of line,this in of itself grows the phenomenon, moral hazard

Obviously the housing market would be totally different if people who say they’d live beside social housing did. The private housing in these areas is cheaper for a reason - demand is lower. Demand is lower because people don’t want to live there. Since the rich can live where they want but the poor live where they must, this means the rich choose to avoid these areas. In fact the real rich live away from the middle classes.

There’s a pathological need for rich people to live expensively in my view, and in high status areas , but it’s fairly sane to not want to live in potentially dangerous areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

It's about the fear of an increased risk of anti social behaviour actually. And you know it is. But truth doesn't matter to you when it comes to accusing people of prejudice. Your posts can be appallingly dishonest. Is that a fair way to debate?

You said then that you couldn't care less if your neighbour had less money or was working class. Most people feel the very same way as you do in that regard, but it's irrelevant because that's not what is being discussed. It's the increased likelihood of anti social behaviour because those who are anti social are more likely to be housed by the council. Nothing in this statement whatsoever says that all of those housed by the council are scumbags - you and others know this, you're not stupid. So why the continuous pretence that that's what people are saying?

People who have grown up in council housing themselves will acknowledge it, and many move out - are they snobs?

no one said everyone. its just far more likely that if you live alongside social housing (or a halting site) that you will endure antisocial behaviour. many people dont have a choice, i didnt.

We mustn't be reading the same thread then.
    Social housing or hap tenants = Gangs of children and teenagers wearing cheap black padded jackets, grey track suits and nike runners hanging around breaking stuff, dumping rubbish and intimidating residents while their uncaring parents watch sky on their big flat screen while wearing their pyjamas or English football jersey /tracksuit combo!

The above post just blanket labelled all social housing /HAP tenants.

Even in posts where it is not said outright, its easy to see what some posters' attitude are.

What about the majority, who aren't saying that.

Thankfully.

I'd rather the very nice people who happen to be council tenants that live next door, then a snob, any day.

But you bought in a fully private estate to begin with. Why?

But you bought in a fully private estate to begin with. Why?

Because I had a full time job and didn't qualify for social housing.

Obviously most social housing tenants are fine but the chances of anti social behaviour is higher.

I don’t doubt by the way that the tenants in social housing that are assigned to existing private estates are pre screened and that were there any trouble the RA would get them out.

Because I had a full time job and didn't qualify for social housing.

You didn’t buy in a mixed estate. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A lot of references to working class, but the issue most would have with social housing isn't lower income workers, it's the won't work brigade. Generational life-long unemployment, children not encouraged to engage with education, no discipline so children are practically feral, no pride in their community etc.

If you're buying your own home it's understandable that you will choose the best kept area and nicest neighbours you can afford. Nobody wants to pay a mortgage for 25-30 years on something they could only sell at a reduced price.

It's reverse snobbery or head up the arse thinking to think otherwise.

Yeah the term "working class" really gets misused.

You didn’t buy in a mixed estate. Why?

At the time mixed estates weren't a thing. Any other questions about why I selected my house?

I'll tell you why I chose it - because it suited my needs, it was within walking distance of both my mother and my best friend, and it was a price I could afford.

I never even thought about who the neighbours were.

Anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Can you please provide accurate facts and figures for this 500 euro a week social welfare payments and free houses. Thanks.

337 for 2 adults
    185 for 5 kids
    That’s 522 outside of any fuel allowance , back to school , medical card etc
    You have 800 a month children’s allowance on top .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The problem with the question in the opening post is that unless you are spending more than the cost of the house you won't know if your neighbours are social or not. Even if you do know there is nothing stopping the council from buying the house next door or one each side of you for that matter. The only way to be certain of not living next to council house is to pay big money for your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

The entire housing market is about class driven snobbery except while not wanting to live beside social welfare recipients might make some sense statistically, not wanting to live beside doctors, IT workers, accountants etc doesn’t. But that’s exactly what the people living in Dalkey etc do.

Social welfare and social housing aren't the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I live in Donegal. I don’t care what people who chose to live in Dublin are paying, that is there choice.

No I would not give up my home to take up residence in a house at social Welfare rates. I have a beautiful house in the country and nothing could entice me to move into an estate in a town, I wouldn’t accept it even if it was free.

There is a reason why more people live in the Dublin area - more and better employment opportunities. Donegal is one of the most economically-depressed parts the country.

Right so, you have a house that you like and are happy to pay for. You wouldn’t swap it for a low-rent council house. What’s the problem, then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

LuasSimon wrote: »
    337 for 2 adults
    185 for 5 kids
    That’s 522 outside of any fuel allowance , back to school , medical card etc
    You have 800 a month children’s allowance on top .

A family of seven then not a single person sorry I misunderstood you.

Once again what free houses?

I'm all for mixed developments, it's the only way forward really. However there has to be proper enforcement and that applies to everyone in the estate, social housing or otherwise.

However on the short term point, why should people have to wait long term to live in the peace and quiet? You don't buy a house to deal with other people's social issues.

If you're anti-social then you should be in a shipping container somewhere.

There’s going to be a bedding in period. It can’t be expedited. You can’t get from A to B completely painlessly in this case unfortunately.

And it’s not just to do with fear of disturbances. People do care about address prestige. The whole Dublin 6W nonsense neatly demonstrated that.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    It's why I'd never buy new, second hand and keep a budget for improvements

Totally agree. Wouldn't dream of buying new house at present.

Nope, I have plenty of experience with social housing estates and the people that live on them. My hometown had three which means that many of my friends and classmates were from them and were as mixed a bunch as people from elsewhere. I also rented a room in an ex-council estate house in a council estate in the UK. I and others said all this earlier in the thread. Did you not read the whole thing?

I’ve had crappy neighbours who privately owned. Really crappy. You never know who you’ll end up living next to. And rural areas, where most people own, are rife with neighbour feuds. My home place anyway. Really crazy, vitriolic stuff at times.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    What about the majority, who aren't saying that.

No, the majority in this thread are saying that. Maybe couching some of it more euphemistically. But saying that.

• Advertisement

A lot of references to working class, but the issue most would have with social housing isn't lower income workers, it's the won't work brigade. Generational life-long unemployment, children not encouraged to engage with education, no discipline so children are practically feral, no pride in their community etc.

If you're buying your own home it's understandable that you will choose the best kept area and nicest neighbours you can afford. Nobody wants to pay a mortgage for 25-30 years on something they could only sell at a reduced price.

It's reverse snobbery or head up the arse thinking to think otherwise.

Until you move in, you really won't know what your neighoburs will be like, no matter how well kept an area appears.

The fact is, all estates are now "mixed" housing. On my terrace alone, there are two private owners, one council owned house, and two private renters. I have no idea if the renters are in receipt of any benefits or HAP. I do however, see them going out to work every day.

This is the way it is now, so I suggest those who are adverse to social housing get over it and as has been said, unless you are prepared to pay huge money to go off and live in a one off house somewhere by itself, the chances are you can expect to have social tenants, (either Council or HAP) living nearby.

Advertisement