Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

chin nuts wrote: »
    I'm with three at the minute and the coverage is brutal in my area. Phone keeps going into roaming mode so I can't access the Internet on it. But at least I can get through to their customer care team.

You do know Lycamobile are just piggybacking on the Three network, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycamobile#Coverage

If Three is brutal in your area then so will Lycamobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I got ported earlier.
    I haven't received any data settings, and data doesn't seem to work, so I assume it's manual settings.
    Not really a problem.
    I also couldn't log back in to the site, and I never received any sort of confirmation, email, text or otherwise that they have acknowledged me porting over and registering.
    But I could top up without needing to.

In short, I think this provider is literally topup and go.

Which is fine, but for anyone signing up it's probably best to be aware that they can offer the service for the price by obviously cutting back on any support. Again, that's not an issue, but could have saved me a bit of annoyance if I had known before I started trying to port over to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Allyall wrote: »
    I got ported earlier.
    I haven't received any data settings, and data doesn't seem to work, so I assume it's manual settings.
    Not really a problem.

Web settings

APN: data.lycamobile.ie

Username: lmie

Password: plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 nicolaed1

blade1 wrote: »
    Web settings

APN: data.lycamobile.ie

Username: lm.ie

Password: plus

mistake-lmie

nicolaed1 wrote: »

mistake-lmie

Fixed!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 nicolaed1

the worst customer care, bad internet (very slow etc.). Avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

nicolaed1 wrote: »
    the worst customer care, bad internet (very slow etc.). Avoid
    Yeah i second that +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

cormie wrote: »
    I know with vodafone, there was two APN's, one for tethering and one for regular internet from the phone. If you delete the one for tethering, then when you tether, they other one is used and it wasn't possible for them to tell the difference between the usage :)

Anyone tethering on lyca without issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I ordered the sim card last week but only got to installing a few minutes ago. First impressions:
    - signal same strength as Meteor ( Blackrock, Dublin)
    - after I paid for credit (€15 bundle) on their website, the sim was active for calls in seconds. Not bad.
    - speed test. I am getting HSDPA, 15/2.5 Mbps on first test, 9/2.5 on second. 66ms ping. I am perfectly happy with that.
    - to get APN setup is a minor annoyance, even when set, it takes a bit of restarting and activating, but still took less than 10 minutes.

So far it looks like really good value. Pity for the tethering, it is almost a deal breaker for me, let's see how badly I'll miss it.

Has anyone tried Chromecasting? If BBC iPlayer works, that could be a sweet combination.

Thanks OP for a great BA!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Murilotdb

air wrote: »

I installed the app Foxfi and activated tethering via USB then I downloaded a Pdanet desktop program to my windows laptop and used it to connect to my phone. It works quite well!

• Advertisement

Murilotdb wrote: »
    I installed the app Foxfi and activated tethering via USB then I downloaded a Pdanet desktop program to my windows laptop and used it to connect to my phone. It works quite well!

Does your phone not support tethering as standard or is there something about FoxFi which helps hide the fact that the traffic is from tethering?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Murilotdb

Does your phone not support tethering as standard or is there something about FoxFi which helps hide the fact that the traffic is from tethering?
    My phone supports tethering without foxfi. However, I believe tethering is blocked by Lyca. I used Foxfi to bypass this blockage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How do they know it's tethering? Did anyone see my post about VF tethering above and them not being able to detect tethering by deleting one of the APN's? Would the same work here?

How do they know it's tethering? Did anyone see my post about VF tethering above and them not being able to detect tethering by deleting one of the APN's? Would the same work here?

If they filter the traffic (regardless of the APN) they can look at a number of different characteristics of the traffic to determine if originates from a non mobile device.
    From simple things like the browser type being used (desktop browser = probably tethering), to the TTL of the packets generated by the user (will be decremented by 1 hop due to the link between device and tethered phone) and on to further more complex analysis if they want to put in the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Can I pm u ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

I'm in a spot of bother. I switched my wife and son over to this Lycamobile deal and all is working grand at home. We go to France on holiday every year so I purchased the 10 30 day "Europe Plus" International Bundle thinking that would allow them to make 300 minutes of call and use up to 3GB of data whilst in France but it's only for use within Ireland!!! I couldn't get my head around how an "International" bundle called "Europe Plus" with 3GB of data can only be used in Ireland but the Lycamobile helpline explained the 300 minutes are calls to European locations from Ireland not for roaming. I know have two pi$$ed off family members on holiday and I can't find any bundles on Lycamobile which will allow them to have some roaming data here.

Any suggestions which don't involve getting them local French sims for the duration of the holiday???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

You need to purchase the Ireland Plus deal for €15 as per the OP's first post on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Here's the list of all bundles you can roam for free on.

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Trish56 wrote: »
    You need to purchase the Ireland Plus deal for €15 as per the OP's first post on here.
    FrostyJim wrote: »

Is the free roaming only calls and texts?

• Advertisement

Good point...
    Can I use my data allowance in the 18 countries? If not how will I be charged? You unfortunately will not be able to use your existing data allowance, instead you will need to buy a relevant data add-on in order to use your mobile data.

You would need to buy International bundles from here - http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/choosebundles?Topup=0&Bonus=&Page=QuickTopUp
    €10
    /30 Days
    Europe Plus

300 International & National Mins

3 GB National Data
    They're cheap enough though.

Good point...

Yep, and the poster in France looking for data will have the pleasure of paying €55 for 1gb.:o

Yep, and the poster in France looking for data will have the pleasure of paying €55 for 1gb.:o

Unless they get the Europe Plus.

It's quite good, but 3GB isn't a heck of a lot.
    There's an Italian SIM you can buy in most Countries in Europe, that gives unlimited data and roaming for feck all.
    I can't remember the name of them now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Is there anyway of knowing how much data you use as you go along with LYCA

Is there anyway of knowing how much data you use as you go along with LYCA

Your Android phone can keep track of this too - http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/02/03/how-to-check-data-usage-on-android/

Seems the easiest way.

Your Android phone can keep track of this too - http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/02/03/how-to-check-data-usage-on-android/

Seems the easiest way.

I use(d) Joiku.
    It seems I don't need to now with these. :)

Tim is the Italian roaming one across Europe. But I think there is a trick to getting it in other Countries. But many sell it in the hat/T-shirt/trinkets shops.

Good point...
    Can I use my data allowance in the 18 countries? If not how will I be charged? You unfortunately will not be able to use your existing data allowance, instead you will need to buy a relevant data add-on in order to use your mobile data.

You would need to buy International bundles from here - http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/choosebundles?Topup=0&Bonus=&Page=QuickTopUp
    /30 Days
    Europe Plus

300 International & National Mins

3 GB National Data
    Thats exactly what I purchased thinking that gave me 3GB of data whilst roaming in Europe but it doesn't, it gives you 300 minutes of calls to European countries whilst you are in Ireland and the 3GB of data included in the bundle is only for use in Ireland.

I already have them on the 15 national bundle outlined in the OP so purchased two 10 Europe Plus Top Ups thinking that would allow them to roam in Europe but it doesn't. If you look at the description of the bundle carefully you'll see that the 3GB of data is labelled "National Data" not International Data and thats what the help centre pointed out to me. The 3GB is only for use nationally in Ireland.

It's really ambiguous and misleading so I'm not happy but more importantly I can't see where they sell any bundles which include "international data".

Any suggestions?

All of those bundles have data which is limited to "National Data" i.e. you can't use the included data outside Ireland. I'd really appreciate it if someone would double check with Lycamobile just so I'm not losing my mind!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Nice, do you know which is which?

I know with vodafone, there was two APN's, one for tethering and one for regular internet from the phone. If you delete the one for tethering, then when you tether, they other one is used and it wasn't possible for them to tell the difference between the usage :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

funnyname wrote: »

I only have one APN showing?

funnyname wrote: »

I think you need to keep the live one? Forget the other one is though.
    Good point...

Surely Lyca are still bound by the new EU regulations and having bought the €15 bundle, for any data remaining from the 20GB, you will be charged a max of 5c+VAT per mb roaming? So if you use 5gb from your 20gb allowance, then go roaming in Europe, you have 15gb allowance @ 5c per mb, so if you use 2GB, it's €100 + VAT, which I know isn't cheap for 2gb, but it's much better than the €400 it would have been a few months ago and next year, it'll be free :)

There are a few posts in this megathread saying some people can't call [some] iD mobile phone numbers. Are there known issues with Lycamobile not fully supporting calling Irish numbers?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It's really ambiguous and misleading so I'm not happy but more importantly I can't see where they sell any bundles which include "international data".

Any suggestions?

I agree, while this deal is very good value, my main complaint about Lyca is the site is very confusing, with too many different products and not always clear what is and isn't included in each product. They definitely aren't following the KISS principle.

The International Plans aren't for roaming, they are typically aimed at foreigners living in Ireland. For instance they are aimed at a French person who moves to Ireland for work, but wants free minutes to call family and friends back home.

So their is a reasonable purpose for this product to exist, but I can certainly see why it would be confusing.

For data roaming bundles see here:
    http://www.lycamobile.ie/sysimages/editorfiles/Home_April_2015_IE1.pdf

€50 for 1GB in France, which yes, is ridiculously expensive!

A Meteor SIM with their 1GB of EU roaming for €15 would be a better deal for them.
    There are a few posts in this megathread saying some people can't call [some] iD mobile phone numbers. Are there known issues with Lycamobile not fully supporting calling Irish numbers?

Seems to be a problem on the ID side and the problem is with calling ID phones from other networks too. So far I haven't had any issues calling or texting any of the major networks from Lyca.

bk wrote: »
    Seems to be a problem on the ID side and the problem is with calling ID phones from other networks too. So far I haven't had any issues calling or texting any of the major networks from Lyca.

I asked iD about this and they said they were aware of the problem but its a problem on Lycas end that I would need to contact them. Could have just been talking crap though. Have a feeling we'll never get this sorted. What other networks cannot call iD?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I asked iD about this and they said they were aware of the problem but its a problem on Lycas end that I would need to contact them. Could have just been talking crap though. Have a feeling we'll never get this sorted. What other networks cannot call iD?

48 Mobile too.

Thing is ID mobile are new, while Lyca have been around for years, so the issue if far more likely to be on ID's side.

• Advertisement

Is it possible to buy Lyca credit in any stores?

Yeah, its available from any store that has payzone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yes.

Yeah, its available from any store that has payzone.

Thanks. Do they ask you which bundle, or do you just buy €15 worth of credit and then choose your bundle online or on the phone?

Thanks. Do they ask you which bundle, or do you just buy €15 worth of credit and then choose your bundle online or on the phone?

Just buy the €15 credit in shop and once applied to your account, type on your phone:
    *139* 2015#
    to buy this bundle from your credit.

There are different codes for different bundles.

• Advertisement

You are better off topping up online as you get free credit + you get 5gb free. And you get 10% off a bundle.

snubbleste wrote: »
    You are better off topping up online as you get free credit + you get 5gb free. And you get 10% off a bundle.

You don't get both, you either get 5GB free + Free "Bonus" credit or you get 10% off buying a bundle directly. Either way, you are correct still better then buying credit in a shop.

Yep, thanks. I already topped up online for myself the other day.
    I got my Nephew a sim, and just wanted to know if I'd have to top him up every month, or if he could buy credit in a store.

The 20GB for €15 should/would have been enough, but now he has Pokemon Go!
    So the extra 5GB might be handy.

You don't get both, you either get 5GB free + Free "Bonus" credit or you get 10% off buying a bundle directly. Either way, you are correct still better then buying credit in a shop.
    Well, you do get both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I messaged Hector on Facebook a few days ago and no reply so I've just messaged him again there now and I hope to hear back soon.

Getting fed up of a crap signal, slow internet and my signal dropping constantly.

I'm seriously considering switching to a different provider as this is proving to be a lot of unnecessary hassle.

Well, you do get both!

How?

If you buy credit, I don't see any way to buy the bundle and apply the promotion when buying the bundle with credit?

The 10% off promo code only seems to work when buying a bundle directly.

How?
    If you buy credit, I don't see any way to buy the bundle and apply the promotion when buying the bundle with credit?
    The 10% off promo code only seems to work when buying a bundle directly.
    You said You don't get both, you either get 5GB free + Free "Bonus" credit or you get 10% off buying a bundle directly.
    I pointed out that everyone gets free credit and 5gb credit. the advantage when buying online is you can also get 10% off a bundle.

You said You don't get both, you either get 5GB free + Free "Bonus" credit or you get 10% off buying a bundle directly.
    I pointed out that everyone gets free credit and 5gb credit. the advantage when buying online is you can also get 10% off a bundle.

No, that doesn't seem to be correct, unless I've missed an option?

From what I see, there are two ways to buy a bundle.

1) Directly buy buying the bundle online, without first buying credit.

You can use the 10% off code doing this (so bundle only costs €13.50), but you aren't buying any credit, so you don't get 5GB Free + Free Bonus Credit.

or:

2) You buy €15 of credit online, thus getting the 5GB Free + Free Bonus Credit and then you use this credit to "buy" the bundle.

Doing it this way, there doesn't seem to be anyway to use the 10% off promo code. So you are effectively paying €15 for the bundle, though you do end up with €3 "Bonus" credit left over.

Can anyone confirm my question in post 482 regarding Lyca and roaming obligations with this package if they know pleeease :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Is there an app for iPhones that I can use for tethering? Searched for FoxFi but it's not available in the app store.

• Advertisement
Advertisement