Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amir Khan v Paul McCloskey - Manchester, April 16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

If HBO give the seal of approval this is the most likely fight.

McCloskey closing in on world title shot

http://boxing-ireland.com/20110114_paul_mccloskey_amir_khan_66.html

Boxing is dying! :D

Shaping up to be a good year for Irish boxing!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I'm sorry but I think Khan would beat Paul easily. His speed will be too much imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Regardless of the likely outcome of this fight and others involving Irish boxers, it's just good to see so many of them getting big fights this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Yeah it's great for Irish boxing, in most respect I'm just hoping that the fights were be well contested so even if they lose the Irish boys come out of it with reputations intact

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not Paul's greatest fan as regards his ability, but I am delighted he is getting a crack, if that is what transpires. He's a real warrior, and has skill, just not my cup of tea. Khan will be a very tough ask for Paul. I cannot see Paul winning this, unless he lands a hail mary shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

yea pauls been so far off the radar as far as big title shots go, great to see him gettin a shot. lookin forward to seein how he handles khan's style. best of luck to him.

mccloskey ko 4-5. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

big ask for mccloskey, can't see anything under than a Khan win though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

Eddie Hearn had a positive meeting with SKY Sports today and they are happy with Dudey to fight Amir Khan
    Subscribe to our YouTube channel while you are at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

There's always a chance of an upset against Khan .
    he's got a better chance than McGee does against Bute !

Paul mc Closkey might rise to the occasion here ,..... although he will probably look tiny against Amir .

It could be a good match !

Paul 'Dudey' McCloskey on Twitter: "Khans team have made a ridiculous offer.They are obviously running scared of this fight.We have gone back with realisitic terms. We will see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

wonder what the ridicuous terms were

Khan seems to be throwing around ridiculous demands all over the place, Lamont Peterson "priced" himself out of the running also, which I think is unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Khan should fight Mayweather. In all likelihood, Mayweather won't be serving a big jail sentence, 1-2 months absolute most.

It would be a good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

If he cant agree terms with Mc Closkey , he wont have much luck agreeing a price with team Mayweather !!

Notoriously difficult !!! I wouldnt give Khan much chance here at all , but its a fight i could see Floyd taking .

On a seperate note , The german card for saturday is cancelled .
    Sylvester has a cold :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Paul 'Dudey' McCloskey on Twitter: "Khans team have made a ridiculous offer.They are obviously running scared of this fight.We have gone back with realisitic terms. We will see!

freddie wants paul to come in 30 lbs lighter than khan.

CorkMan wrote: »
    Khan should fight Mayweather. In all likelihood, Mayweather won't be serving a big jail sentence, 1-2 months absolute most.

The dog's beating he'd receive might bring him down to earth a bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

CorkMan wrote: »

Think Khan would be destroyed by Mayweather, a loss to him would be terrible for Khan because I think he will be carefully managed to big things

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

It's too early for Khan to be thinking about Mayweather. Mayweather is too clever a boxer. He'd just close up shop and pick him off. Mayweather by a wide points margin. Don't think he knocks him out as he would have to take a risk in doing so which would be dangerous with Khans speed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Looks like the fight is off for now unless they offer McCloskey decent money....

Barry Hearn has laughed off Amir Khan's offer to fight Paul McCloskey as 'a joke'.
    The European light-welterweight champion emerged this week as a surprise contender to take on the WBA king when he makes his return to Britainspacer.gif in April.
    But promoter Barry Hearnspacer.gif says there is no way the fight will happen and is refusing to even enter negotiations with the current bid on the table.
    "The offer was a joke," he told the Belfast Telegraph. "There's no way I'm letting Paul fight for peanuts.
    "They made the offer, I rejected it and as far as I can see the fight is dead. We'll certainly not be going back to them to negotiate.
    "If they were to come back with a proper offer then of course we would listen but as I expected they wanted to get Paul on the cheap.
    "I'm just not interested in that. Paul's got a better record than Khanspacer.gif - he's undefeated and he's never been knocked out like Khan has.
    "Nobody has done Paul any favours, he has done everything that has been asked of him and he deserves to be well paid for a fight like this

If Kahn can take Floyd's shots, then he would have a very good chance.
    Khan is an exceptional boxer, real fast, and fit as a fiddle.
    I don't think he's the type of fighter to be "picked" off for 12 rds. He has skill, and is
    adaptable too. He also has size. Not smaller than Floyd, with a bigger reach.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    If Kahn can take Floyd's shots, then he would have a very good chance.
    Khan is an exceptional boxer, real fast, and fit as a fiddle.
    I don't think he's the type of fighter to be "picked" off for 12 rds. He has skill, and is
    adaptable too. He also has size. Not smaller than Floyd, with a bigger reach.

Nah Khan's fast so but is Mayweather, Floyd would be the first to every counter... Floyd is difficult to hit, Khan will get him. As far as adaptability, Floyd is possibly the best at changing his game plan when required, see what he did to shutdown Mosley after that shakey first 2 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

Offensively, Khan definitely has the tools to give Mayweather real problems, but it's defensively where the problems lie.

If Maidana was able to catch him over and over again, then surely so will Mayweather.

I would think Mayweather would win a tough, close fight on points.

megadodge wrote: »
    Offensively, Khan definitely has the tools to give Mayweather real problems, but it's defensively where the problems lie.

If Maidana was able to catch him over and over again, then surely so will Mayweather.

I would think Mayweather would win a tough, close fight on points.

Yeah, but Marcos was a seeker and destroyer. Went firing many shots. Floyd is not the fighter of years gone by, lazier, slower and not as active. Also, Freddie Roach and Khan surely would fight the fight needed for Floyd, adaptability is so important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

walshb wrote: »
    Yeah, but Marcos was a seeker and destroyer. Went firing many shots. Floyd is not the fighter of years gone by, lazier, slower and not as active. Also, Freddie Roach and Khan surely would fight the fight needed for Floyd, adaptability is so important.

I agree with you there. I think Floyds handspeed is still there but the footwork is not as good. He still gives Khan lots of problems though.

I would also question whether Khan has the ability to adapt when fighting the very best, thats a skill top fighters acquire over time. Now i'm not saying he will never have the ability to do so, it will come over time when he is more seasoned I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Kahns team have agreed to look at McCloskey's offer.

So just have to wait and see now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Anyone an idea how much Paul would make from a Euro defence? I wouldn't have much of a clue on what boxers earn these days.

Despite a load of names being thrown into the hat, Paul feels confident that a fight between him and Khan is likely.

Video interview included.

http://boxing-ireland.com/20110122_paul_mccloskey_amir_khan_confident_6.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭pbffan

Outside of Pacquiao, I would say that Khan has the best shot at beating Mayweather. I'm not saying he will, I mean obviously he's the underdog, but if you look at it, Khan style most difficult matchup for a counter puncher like Mayweather. Amir is an ultra fast jabber, who holds a high guard from the first bell and leaves very little to counter. That jab of his is so fast, and he reverts back to the high guard so quickly, that even Floyd would have difficulties countering him. As well as that, Floyd is slowing down in the ring, his legs may not quite be "gone" as Freddie Roach suggested, but they're certainly not what they once were. At this stage in his career, Khan is unquestionably faster than Mayweather, hell he's faster than pretty much everyone. There's very little between them in handspeed too, if anything I'd give Khan a slight edge in that department. As for Knockout Power, I think Khan has to get the nod here too. Floyd has only stopped one opponent since 2005. Ring Generalship, Defense, Boxing smarts obviously all go to Mayweather though

I see it as a Whitaker-De La Hoya type fight. Would love to see it :)

As for Khan's next opponent: From his point of view, Marquez is the best possible opponent. Not only is JMM a P4P ranked fighter who can turn Khan into a Superstar, but the fight is tailor made for him. It would be a complete mismatch, Mayweather/Marquez II

I'd be happy with Khan-Ortiz though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Amit Khan hits back at at Hearn over McCloskey offer

"The offer I made to Paul McCloskey is the biggest he is getting in any of his fights. If he doesn't want to take the offer, there are plenty of other fighters who will," Khan told Sky Sports News. "Everyone knows I want to fight McCloskey, and everyone knows I would beat him. I'm willing to give him the biggest purse of his boxing career so why not take the fight?

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/69669.html

There are qouted in link as saying that they are offering 3 times mcloskeys last fight fee, yet this fight will generate 300 times the money, Is khan camp being unrealsble?

• Advertisement

Amir Khan urges Paul 'Dudey' McCloskey to grab ‘career high’ pay day while it is available

http://boxing-ireland.com/20110124_paul_mccloskey_amir_khan_offer_33.html

Advertisement