Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amir Khan v Paul McCloskey - Manchester, April 16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If the report above is true, then I have to agree with Khan.
    He is the champ, the name, the draw; Paul is not.
    He is being offered the dream fight, the fight that most
    boxers want the second they turn pro, the world title fight.
    What's the problem? It is the biggest pay of his career.
    He may never get that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

walshb wrote: »
    If the report above is true, then I have to agree with Khan.
    He is the champ, the name, the draw; Paul is not.
    He is being offered the dream fight, the fight that most
    boxers want the second they turn pro, the world title fight.
    What's the problem? It is the bigest pay of his career.
    He may never get that again.

I agree, if he won't fight Khan then he's just afraid of losing his 0 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

I suspect it's just negotiating for the best possible purse for his fighter. That's all.

I reckon he'll take the fight eventually.

megadodge wrote: »
    I suspect it's just negotiating for the best possible purse for his fighter. That's all.

I reckon he'll take the fight eventually.

I think so too, but Paul is not in a position really to be dictating.
    He would want to be careful that he doesn't price himself out.
    As report says, it is his biggest payday. Thread carefully he should.
    Khan does not need Paul one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Khan's made a second, revised offer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwPgQOhpycc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

There's also a principle about being fair .
    If I thought I was being ripped off , I'd be refusing it outright .

It could be 95-5 and still be in Khan's favour .

Whats the figures here anyway ??? ..... what has been McCloskey's biggest payday yet .

Lets see a 70-30 split on everything .
    70% - Khan
    30% - McCloskey .

Paul will be working just as hard for this fight , so be fair .

WalshB ... Do you have shares in Khan ?

My arse!

Like I said, IF the reports are true, then Paul has no real bargaining here.
    It's meant to be the best pay of his life. Lets be honest here, Paul is a nobody on the world scene. Khan IS. Khan is the draw, the name and the champ. Barry Hearn I think is the issue here.

I would say the exact same if Paul was the champ, the name and the draw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

My arse!

It's meant to be the best pay of his life. Lets be honest here, Paul is a nobody on the world scene. Khan IS. Khan is the draw, the name and the champ. Barry Hearn I think is the issue here.

Nonsense!

Paul has plenty of "real bargaining here", otherwise Khan wouldnt have made a second offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

My arse!

yea paul can demand his 70% or 90% if and when his time comes. remember the sports centre fight vs morrison in letterkenny? couple hundred people, a few sitting on the floor at the front. http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=298487&cat=boxer -- he's down for michele di rocco 3 march kings hall btw

Nonsense!

Paul has plenty of "real bargaining here", otherwise Khan wouldnt have made a second offer.

My arse. Khan is the name, the draw, not Paul

Paul is being offered the pay day of his career, and the CHANCE
    to win a world belt. No excuses here. Take the fight or shut up.

IF he wins, then maybe he can call the shots and take the big cut!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Walshb is right, Khan is the draw, he brings the money to the fight, and he brings the title. He could just as easily turn down a fight with Paul, and Paul wouldn't get anywhere near as much money in his next fight.

Few people like Khan, but Khan is money. He's now known a bit in America, and he's huge in England. McCloskey is a nobody in America and is fairly well known in the UK but still... this Khan fight is an opportunity for him.

He beats him, he gets the title, the recognition and bigger money fights in the future.

Khan beats him and it doesn't really have much affect on his profile or his money considering it's really only a stop gap for him before he meets the Alexander and Bradley winner... (which has crept up on me fairly quickly!)

My arse. Khan is the name, the draw, not Paul

Paul is being offered the pay day of his career, and the CHANCE
    to win a world belt. No excuses here. Take the fight or shut up.

IF he wins, then maybe he can call the shots and take the big cut!

My arse? Typcial Walshy diverision tactics. 'Say one thing, defend another statement'

Yes, Khan is the draw, no one is disagreeing with that.

But you said "no real bargaining here" - that is total and utter bunkum!

If if McCloskey hadnt something to offer then the Khan's wouldnt be making a second offer.

"Paul is being offered the pay day of his career, and the CHANCE
    to win a world belt. No excuses here. Take the fight or shut up."

Eh...er.....NO!! Firstly, I hope you never move into management!

Of course its his biggest pay day - its the first ****in time he has ever fought for a world title. It is the biggest fight of his career, the biggest risk of his career and the pay day should reflect that.

If Khan wants to pay fighters slave wages then fair enough, you can defend that but I wont and I wont stay schtum when a fighter, not just any fighter but an unbeaten European champion, in the Rings magazines top 10 in the weight and the sanctioning organisations top five gets a 95/5 split in the purse!

If he threads water and fights Di Rocco he is likely to be in a position to fight for the vacant WBC title, or even Khans WBA, in the next 9 months.

No diversion at all; nothing to do with it.

Paul is getting a crack at the world belt, forget business, take the BIGGEST
    payday of your career and bloody fight.....

I know well promoters run the show, and this is more than likely the case, so I say it to the promoters more than Paul, take the ****ing fight and stop trying to take a golden opportunity away from your fighter

No diversion at all; nothing to do with it.

Paul is getting a crack at the world belt, forget business, take the BIGGEST
    payday of your career and bloody fight.....

I know well promoters run the show, and this is more than likely the case, so I say it to the promoters more than Paul, take the ****ing fight and stop trying to take a golden opportunity away from your fighter

But it is diversion.

You said he has no bargaining position, which I disagreed with, then you start saying "Khan is the draw" which no one disagreed with.

You said "Paul has no real bargaining here" - do you stand by that comment? Aye or naw! Now leave the side steppin ta Brian O'Driscoll!

But it is diversion.

You said he has no bargaining position, which I disagreed with, then you start saying "Khan is the draw" which no one disagreed with.

You said "Paul has no real bargaining here" - do you stand by that comment? Aye or naw! Now leave the side steppin ta Brian O'Driscoll!

C'mon, you are hanging on words here. Yes, he has a little bargaining, but seriously, he is nowhere near being in the driving seat, and rightly so. He has yet to anything on the world scene, despite his Ring rating!

No REAL bargaining! Emphasis on real. Compared to the champ, the name, the belt, what has he to bargain with?

I am not saying he should accept a measly sum of money, but no way should he be getting close to Khan. I would say 70-30 is fair.

Hate to repeat myself, but this is a world title fight, a payday beyond anthing before for Paul, take it, or shut up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Boooourns

C'mon, you are hanging on words here. Yes, he has a little bargaining, but seriously, he is nowhere near being in the driving seat, and rightly so. He has yet to anything on the world scene.

No REAL bargaining! Emphasis on real. Compared to the champ, the name, the belt, what has he to bargain with?

I am not saying he should accept a measly sum of money, but no way should he be getting close to Khan. I would say 70-30 is fair.

Hate to repeat myself, but this is a world title fight, a payday beyond anthing before for Paul, take it, or shut up!

If you think 70-30 is fair then i wouldn't think Paul is getting anywhere near that. Khan will make huge money off this(which is completley fair as he is the draw) and they're offering Paul 3 times the amount of his last payday, i'm only guessing here but i reckon McCloskey is being offered around 100k while Khan is looking at a couple of million.

Whatever the figure is, the guy, if he is serious, and wants to fight the best
    and win a genuine world title, then he should be jumping at the chance. There
    are plenty out there who would take it for nothing. Now, I know the sport is all business, but IF the pay is 2-3 times his best ever, then that is massive.
    And if he won't take that, then more fool him!

So what if Khan makes more, and considerably more. That is Khan's business.
    He is the draw. Paul has yet to get to that position, and until he does, then
    he has nothing to moan about.

he has a little bargaining, ............ I would say 70-30 is fair.

I also said that was fair !

Im thinking it is more like this :
    Khan - 1,000,000+ vs McCloskey - 60K

could you rate that as fair ?

on a side note , look how Shannon Briggs got shafted !
    750,000 promised ..... he emerges from hospital to greet a purse of 25K minus hospital fees .
    Its everything I hate about boxing

I also said that was fair !

Im thinking it is more like this :
    Khan - 1,000,000+ vs McCloskey - 60K

could you rate that as fair ?

IF 60 K is more than he has ever earned, then yes, it's fair for him.

Like I said, Khan's earnings are down to Khan, and what he has
    to offer. He has proved himself, is the champ, and the name.

Paul is not......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

The only bargaining power McCloskey has is the 0 in his record imo, Khan wouldn't look at him otherwise.

It would take nothing short of a miracle for McCloskey to beat Khan and I think Barry Hearn knows it.

So if Paul loses, and unfortunately I think he will be mauled, his chance of a big payday is inevitably gone, therefore he is pushing for the biggest fee he can get because it is the biggest chance Paul will ever get in boxing.

He needs to be careful he doesn't outprice himself from this fight though and if the offer isn't fair he should not fight Khan because a loss will be severely detrimental to his career. However, he may need to ring a certain John Duddy for a chat because there is only a certain amount of, for lack of a better word, mickey mouse fights he can win before things hit the fan.

• Advertisement

C'mon, you are hanging on words here. Yes, he has a little bargaining, but seriously, he is nowhere near being in the driving seat, and rightly so. He has yet to anything on the world scene, despite his Ring rating!

I would say that was fair as well! If he got HALF that he should take the fight.

But there comes a point when you have to tell them to fúck off! The offer is more like 95/5.

Khan's been pampered with underweight , feather-fisted and washed up opponents since turning pro .
    He only fought Maidana coz he was pushed into a fight by HBO. And only for Maidana looked so crap in his previous fight , it never would have happened .
    I watched Maidana that time and wrote on boards that they'll all be queueing up to face Maidana after that performance .

He's been hyped up by promoters with solid financial backing , and created into a super-fighter that he is not .
    Warren pumped 5 million into a 5 fight contract with Sky and the hype machine was set into full throttle .

There's some serious talent @ 140lbs ..... lets see him face the best if he is indeed on such a level .

I would say that was fair as well! If he got HALF that he should take the fight.

But there comes a point when you have to tell them to fúck off! The offer is more like 95/5.

Yeah, but telling him to F off does nothing.

Paul shouldn't be at all concerned what Khan is earning. That is Khan's business. Paul is getting the dream fight, a very good pay day, FOR HIM, so
    why would he even be concerned about Khan's earnings? The whole reason
    Paul is getting the fight, the big payday, is because of Khan.

If it is 99-1 for Khan, then so what, that is down to Khan and his appeal.
    Paul can't genearte that. If that 1 is the biggest payday for Paul, then
    he shpould take it. He may never get it again.

Khan's been pampered with underweight , feather-fisted and washed up opponents since turning pro .
    He only fought Maidana coz he was pushed into a fight by HBO. And only for Maidana looked so crap in his previous fight , it never would have happened .
    I watched Maidana that time and wrote on boards that they'll all be queueing up to face Maidana after that performance .

He's been hyped up by promoters with solid financial backing , and created into a super-fighter that he is not .
    Warren pumped 5 million into a 5 fight contract with Sky and the hype machine was set into full throttle .

There's some serious talent @ 140lbs ..... lets see him face the best if he is indeed on such a level .

He fought and beat the supposed best at 140, as in the puncher, Maidana.

Where is this talent? Bradley? He is meant to be the top dog at 140.
    I would take Khan over him comfortably. So, who are these talents?

I guarantee that Khan will be meeting these guys within 12 months, and he will beat them.

http://boxrec.com/ratings.php?country=&sex=m&division=Light+Welterweight&status=A&SUBMIT=Go

That link is boxrec top 25 ranked
    How many has Khan faced on this page ?

Khan's meant to be the world champion ffs !
    whats he doing fighting these handpicked opponents ?

Get back over there and fight people in the top 10 .

Didnt hear him offering Lamont P a second offer ,... and why dosent he face V Ortiz ?

As far as I'm concerned , Khan cashing in on his false name with lesser fighters , until the day he gets found out .

Nothing's going to change

If it is 99-1 for Khan, then so what

There is also a matter of principle , and not everything is about money.

If Paul decides he shall not to be complicit as a stone for Khan to step on , he can walk away with his head held high and morals intact .

People like I shall have nothing but respect for him, and will in fact elevate my opinion of him as a person .

There is also a matter of principle , and not everything is about money.

If Paul decides he shall not to be complicit as a stone for Khan to step on , he can walk away with his head held high and morals intact .

People like I shall have nothing but respect for him, and will in fact elevate my opinion of him as a person .

Ortiz? The guy Khan crushed as an amateur, the guy who quit vs. the man Khan beat? Hey, Ortiz is a lovely boxer, but I haven't heard Ortiz begging to fight Khan. I also do not believe Khan is afraid of him, or dodging him. The list you gave is far from amazing. Judah? Urango? Kotelnik (whom he beat)?

I won't think anything of Paul if he says NO. But, I think he would be foolish to do so. Here is his chance.

BTW, do you think Paul is another spoon fed opponent? Your post suggests so, "as a stone for Khan to step on."

http://boxrec.com/ratings.php?country=&sex=m&division=Light+Welterweight&status=A&SUBMIT=Go

That link is boxrec top 25 ranked
    How many has Khan faced on this page ?

Khan's meant to be the world champion ffs !
    whats he doing fighting these handpicked opponents ?

Get back over there and fight people in the top 10 .

Didnt hear him offering Lamont P a second offer ,... and why dosent he face V Ortiz ?

As far as I'm concerned , Khan cashing in on his false name with lesser fighters , until the day he gets found out .

Nothing's going to change

Roach has said they need another fight before he fights the winner of Bradley v Alexander to work on defence as he's still not the finished article. I believe Khan will fight anyone in the division.

I think the turning point for Khan was facing and beating the divisions supposed best hitter, Maidana. Khan can't really go backwards from here. I know Paul is backwards, but it's an involuntary after a bruising fight with Maidana. Won't fault him for that. I believe that the Maidana win has instilled a lot of confidence in Khan, and he will seek out the res, and I think he will beat them. He is a far better bioer than any I have seen at 140lbs. Ortiz is also very very neat.

• Advertisement

I think the turning point for Khan was facing and beating the divisions supposed best hitter, Maidana. Khan can't really go backwards from here. I know Paul is backwards, but it's an involuntary after a bruising fight with Maidana. Won't fault him for that. I believe that the Maidana win has instilled a lot of confidence in Khan, and he will seek out the res, and I think he will beat them. He is a far better bioer than any I have seen at 140lbs. Ortiz is also very very neat.

Going to be very interesting to see him fight Bradley (i think he beats Alexander), he's a relentless fighter, very very fit although in Khans favour he doesn't have that killer power. I expect it to be much tougher than the Maidana fight.

Advertisement