Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper Pronunciation or lah-dee-dah

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,662 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Beaulieu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Sharon Ni Bheoilaun saying "pleece" for police and "med'sin" for medicine. Is she right? Also, Cer-vick-al or Cer-Vy-cal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Cholmondeley

Featherstonhaugh and Belvoir

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Overheard in a Glasgow bakery -

Customer: "Is that a cake, or a meringue?"
    Shopkeeper: "Naw, yer right enough, its a cake..."

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Featherstonhaugh and Belvoir

Fanshaw?

Never hear of the other one

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Pronounced Beaver.

Overheard outside a Belfast music shop

First woman: That's Nat King Cole
    Second woman: Well, who is it so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Demesne.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Sharon Ni Bheoilaun saying "pleece" for police and "med'sin" for medicine. Is she right? Also, Cer-vick-al or Cer-Vy-cal ?

Nobody knows. It depends on your accent & it varies.

The only one that gets me on RTE is “kylo meters”

It’s “kilOMiter”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I keep hearing journalists lately saying pro-ven instead of prooven [emphasis on o]
    Am I wrong?

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    I keep hear journalists lately saying pro-ven instead of prooven [emphasis on o]
    Am I wrong?

Pro-ven exists as a legal term. Scots law for example has a third verdict “not pro-ven” meaning we’re fairly sure you did it but we cannae prove it!!

Pro-ven exists as a legal term. Scots law for example has a third verdict “not pro-ven” meaning we’re fairly sure you did it but we cannae prove it!!

Ah, so I am wrong then! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gateaux

Load of bolleaux.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Ah, so I am wrong then! Thanks!

It depends. If you say “it’s pro-ven to be useful” it’s just wrong.

You get people latching on to obscure pronunciations like that and using them inappropriately or weird legal terminology that shouldn’t be really used out of context as it’s just jargon.

Paul Reynolds, Orr Tee Eee.

Orr Tee Eee.

There’s debate around how to pronounce the letter R

We tend to say Ore or Orr.

In English it’s often Ahh.

In American English it’s more like Rrrr (like a pirate)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-do-you-properly-pronounce-hyundai-424128/

Hyundai Engineering and Construction Co. was founded in South Korea in 1947 by Chung Ju-yung, and it added an automotive branch in 1967. The name itself is a transliteration from the Korean word for “modernity.” If you hear Koreans pronouncing it, you’ll hear it as “hyeondae,” with the “y” being clearly pronounced. But for the Americas, the company’s official position is that it’s “Hyundai like Sunday.”

They should have anglicised it properly as Hyundae.

I honestly don’t know why we get so caught up about this.

I’ve heard English people correct Irish pronunciation of Peugeot and it’s rather hilarious (as a French speaker) as both are almost equally wrong and the English highly intrusive R is completely wrong. You get something in England more like PeaahhhhhRrrrrr-Joe. There’s a little intrusive R in French but nothing as extreme as that.

The reality is they’re words in a foreign language with totally different phonetics, you’ll get them wrong.

In Spanish they just pronounce it all as they’re read in Spanish.

YouTube - “Ooh Toob Ahy”
    Game Over - “Gambay Obray”
    Gourmet (as written with the T)
    Renault (Ren oww Ult”

And so on.

French announcements will call Aer Lingus - “Air Lang-Goose” and Dublin “doo blan” (which to be fair is closer to the native northside pronunciation anyway.)

In Spain they usually do. Latin Americans are more likely to copy English pronunciations.

In English it’s often Ahh.

In American English it’s more like Rrrr (like a pirate)

Round these parts it's Are T E
    D4 seems more Orr T E
    I say Or T E, I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lieutenant.
    The punch line is that there's no F in lieutenant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

It's the old Latin word for Romania, so I suppose it depends on that.

That would make it Dahkeah. :)

'We' meaning North Dublin or where?

Where I Iive we mostly say Ar instead of Orr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

One of the GAA coaches I know for the local club, when talking to the kids comes out with "Now I want lots of energy out there today lads, you's have to try as hard as you can"

I shiver every time I hear it

"Yous" and "Yiz" is a pet peeve of mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I would never correct another adult. But I will reply and make sure I use the correct pronunciation for whatever it is at least twice.

I'm not too worried about foreign words, but the least we can do is have a crack at making them sound right.

Renault is a great example. My Grandad always drove them and it was Renawlt for him all the way, but nobody says that anymore, Renoh. We're still wrong though, its RENN-oh, not reNNoh.

However, we in Ireland and Britain say Cit-ron, whereas it is Cit-roh-ennnn (Citroën). Likewise Day-see-ah when it is properly Datch-eya (Dacia)

One of the GAA coaches I know for the local club, when talking to the kids comes out with "Now I want lots of energy out there today lads, you's have to try as hard as you can"

Then there's "ye" in other places.

I personally see nothing wrong with it. Standard English is lacking a plural you, so Irish dialects have other ways of saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Don’t blame you, dude.

I personally see nothing wrong with it. Standard English is lacking a plural you, so Irish dialects have other ways of saying that.

Ye would he worth resurrecting across the English speaking world. Best option. The others, youz, yous, yiz, you guys etc. - all worse.

English hasn't developed by single random people deciding what are the best and worst options. Yous and Youse are listed in lots of dictionaries, so that reflects their usage.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/yous#English

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

fvp4 wrote: »
    Ye would he worth resurrecting across the English speaking world. Best option. The others, youz, yous, yiz, you guys etc. - all worse.

Ye is from Ye Olde English is it not? I use it all the time in emails and texts. Nothing wrong with it- in fact it's an efficient way of communicating the plural You without it being a colloqiualism. That, or y'all, which ain't never gonna happen, no sirreeeeh!

• Advertisement

Ye is from Ye Olde English is it not? I use it all the time in emails and texts. Nothing wrong with it- in fact it's an efficient way of communicating the plural You without it being a colloqiualism. That, or y'all, which ain't never gonna happen, no sirreeeeh!

The Y in that Ye is a version of Th, so that Ye is the word The. Ye with the proper Y is related to You.

Advertisement