Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snoozecruise

Are you going for boating/watersports or just like the countryside?

Just like the countryside :)

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Might be able to go to Portugal by the end of the summer :)
      You would get flights and 2 weeks in a resort for the same price as a week in a hotel in Ireland.
      I see many cancellations coming soon :)

2. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭stuboy01

This is the site I booked my cottage on...Not sure what is left at this stage though

https://www.imagineireland.com/

3. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭baldbear

Booked Enniscrone in Feb for 4 nights in July for the 4 of us.€840, B&b,2 dinners. kids & their cousins will have great craic.

Looking forward to not having to clean the gaff and just getting away . Pricey but at this stage we don't care.

4. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

JimmyVik wrote: »
      Might be able to go to Portugal by the end of the summer :)
      You would get flights and 2 weeks in a resort for the same price as a week in a hotel in Ireland.
      I see many cancellations coming soon :)

2 weeks for €1200? really?

5. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Have you not just done a search for them?
      The very first 3 off the top of the list when I did a search.
      Close enough to €1200
      There are plenty more im sure, and cheaper.
      Probably even cheaper if you DIY it using airbnb.
      Sure enough though once people start booking these prices will go up, though probably not as much as irish hotels went up.

Sister just booked a week in Venice for less than €1000 for two including flights.

https://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?label=alicante-JTdQlfL*FCuO2JoBzpmb5QS392743199753%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap%3Aneg%3Afi%3Atiaud-1110454565467%3Akwd-19685353%3Alp9047193%3Ali%3Adec%3Adm%3Appccp%3DUmFuZG9tSVYkc2RlIyh9Yf5EcukO1MOGLSSAuId8ToA&sid=ed6107b95a047c99f62f94c43ad66bc8&aid=303948&sb=1&sb_lp=1&src_elem=sb&error_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.booking.com%2Fcity%2Fes%2Falicante.html%3Faid%3D303948%3Blabel%3Dalicante-JTdQlfL*FCuO2JoBzpmb5QS392743199753%253Apl%253Ata%253Ap1%253Ap2%253Aac%253Aap%253Aneg%253Afi%253Atiaud-1110454565467%253Akwd-19685353%253Alp9047193%253Ali%253Adec%253Adm%253Appccp%253DUmFuZG9tSVYkc2RlIyh9Yf5EcukO1MOGLSSAuId8ToA%3Bsid%3Ded6107b95a047c99f62f94c43ad66bc8%3Binac%3D0%3Bsig%3Dv1RVt-eCJ7%3B&ss=Alicante&is_ski_area=0&ssne=Alicante&ssne_untouched=Alicante&city=-370210&checkin_year=2021&checkin_month=7&checkin_monthday=11&checkout_year=2021&checkout_month=7&checkout_monthday=12&group_adults=2&group_children=0&no_rooms=1&b_h4u_keep_filters=&from_sf=1&order=price

https://www.easyjet.com/en/holidays/spain/lanzarote/puerto-del-carmen/hg-lomo-blanco-apartments?ibf=true&to=17-07-2021&from=03-07-2021&dst=IT,EG,BIV,CIV,GRCF,GRKG,GRRH,BGVR,HRDB,CYPF,GRCR,GRHA,GRKF,GRLE,GRMK,GRPE,GRSN,GRZA,MTMT,METI,MAAG,PTAL,ESCB,ESBV,ESCD,ESFU,ESGC,ESIB,ESLZ,ESMJ,ESMN,ESTF,TNNB,HRIR,HRSP,CYLN,GRTH,PTMD,ESDO,ESAL,GBCIJE&geog=IT|EG|ES|GR|BG|HR|CY|MT|ME|MA|PT|TN|GB,ITBO|ITBR|ITSO|ITGE|ITLC|ITLG|ITML|ITMI|ITNA|ITNS|ITPI|ITPU|ITRI|ITRO|ITSA|ITSI|ITTU|ITTS|ITVE|ITVR|EGHR|EGSS|GRCF|GRKG|GRRH|BGVR|HRDB|CYPF|GRCR|GRHA|GRKF|GRLE|GRMK|GRPE|GRSN|GRZA|MTMT|METI|MAAG|PTAL|ESCB|ESBV|ESCD|ESFU|ESGC|ESIB|ESLZ|ESMJ|ESMN|ESTF|TNNB|HRIR|HRSP|CYLN|GRTH|PTMD|ESDO|ESAL|GBCI,GBCIJE&sAccId=&flex=0&org[0]=LPL&aa=1&rooms[0][adults]=2&rooms[0][children]=0&rooms[0][infants]=0&outId=E7fc92e569a58fac2b8ede4d0a98de5ad&inId=E2806a258906760fda33d0348aff693e1&accId=ESLZ0039&packId=2154809522/2/1279/14&offerCode=ESLZ0039_2154809522%2F2%2F1279%2F14_1BA01-SC&boardType=SC&offerRooms[0][adults]=2&offerRooms[0][children]=0&offerRooms[0][infants]=0&offerRooms[0][roomCode]=1BA01&transfer=W2MS006748SS&dtransfer=W2MS006748SS&isExt=0&theme=beach&promo=/summer-2021-holidays&__ejhsort=promo_hotels_list|9|KtlZSYZs

https://trips.lastminute.com/hotel/route/search-results?businessProfileId=HOLIDAYSLASTMINUTECOUK_XSELL&bfSubsource=S02RRTL0S07RR01&extReferenceId=1fo2gtrr24074&extReferenceType=CONCORDE-CARD&search.type=OSE&search.accomodationOnly=false&search.departureAirports=DUB&search.destinationCities=150679&search.departureIntervals=20210627-20210711&search.adults=2&transportId=114286801683257344SCHv01-750203602&searchId=2830691

6. Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭gaillimh

Hmmm not sure €1200 would cover a week in any half decent hotel in Ireland for 2 adults and 2 small kids though.
      Have checked a few places and that’s more the price for 3 or 4 days unfortunately.

7. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

gaillimh wrote: »
      Hmmm not sure €1200 would cover a week in any half decent hotel in Ireland for 2 adults and 2 small kids though.
      Have checked a few places and that’s more the price for 3 or 4 days unfortunately.

7 nights in a very good hotel in kilkenny for €1200, in August.
      Kids under 4 stay free.

8. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Kerry25x wrote: »
      We jumped on the lockdown trend of building our own campervan conversion so thats this summer pretty much sorted. Booked a few nights in an Airbnb here and there as well though.

Lovely that you "jumped on the lockdown trend of building our own campervan" but do you realize that there are 14,000+ camper vans in Ireland and only ~3000 camper pitches in the country?

I dont think there is campsite in the country with availability and already local authorities are going crazy installing height barriers in the "normal" camper van off grid locations.

9. Advertisement
    10. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

krissovo wrote: »
      Lovely that you "jumped on the lockdown trend of building our own campervan" but do you realize that there are 14,000+ camper vans in Ireland and only ~3000 camper pitches in the country?

I dont think there is campsite in the country with availability and already local authorities are going crazy installing height barriers in the "normal" camper van off grid locations.

Interesting stats. How long do people typically spend on a camper van holiday? Are we talking 2-3 nights or weeks? Primary school holidays are 9 weeks long. I'm sure people will find availability to suit at some point over that time period. Other's will have more choice depending on their circumstances from early June onwards.

11. Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

The laughable headline below is why "staycations" are a joke

IRELAND is set to sizzle as temperatures to hit 17C as Met Eireann forecast "a good deal of dry weather".

12. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Nonsense. I can book plenty of campervan sites today for lots of dates during the summer. I know this as I just did!

13. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Im sure all the camper vans in the country arent parking in those spaces on the same nights though.

14. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

7 nights in a very good hotel in kilkenny for €1200, in August.
      Kids under 4 stay free.

€1200 for ONE week. Am I the only one who thinks thats taking the p!ss

15. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Im sure all the camper vans in the country arent parking in those spaces on the same nights though.

The biggest issue I see is guys trying to drive these yokes up the Conner Pass or out to the tip of Mizen Head etc.

16. Advertisement
    17. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭finbarrk

How do you mean? About €170 per night. In August. In a top Hotel. It will be filled.

18. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

finbarrk wrote: »
      How do you mean? About €170 per night. In August. In a top Hotel. It will be filled.

Maybe ive just been spoiled by the foreign holiday prices over the years.

19. Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Ginger83

gaillimh wrote: »

We've got 3 nights booked in June in dungarvan on the greenway. €387 for two adults and two children b+b

20. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

It wouldn't be my cup of tea but you are correct. There's plenty of people willing to spend €170 on a hotel room in Ireland for 2 adults and 2 under 4's. irrespective of foreign travel restrictions. I've no idea what a similar package would cost in Europe.

21. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭wandererz

I see what you mean.

But why would you be choosing Kilkenny anyway?
      It's landlocked. Not even a cold desolate pebble beach or a decent enough mountain to climb up.
      Even Diageo has pulled the Smithwicks Experience.

Lesotho would be better.

consider Kerry instead.

22. Advertisement
    23. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

wandererz wrote: »
      I see what you mean.

It's landlocked. Not even a cold desolate pebble beach or a decent enough mountain to climb up.

Lesotho would be better.

consider Kerry instead.

Kilkenny is not the worst place.
      Well for a weekend anyway. Dont know if any longer would drain you though.
      Ive been on holidays in Ireland a few times and when it rains in Ireland when you are on your holidays it is the most miserable experience imaginable.
      Once, last year, we had great weather on an Irish holiday.

24. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭wandererz

thought i'd have a look at The Europe in Killarney.
      All booked out except for a couple of days in early September @ €1900/night for the presidential suite.

I wonder, does that include Las Vegas style in-room live entertainment as well.

It cetainly would be cheaper to fly to LV.

25. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

thought i'd have a look at The Europe in Killarney.
      All booked out except for a couple of days in early September @ €1900/night for the presidential suite.

I wonder, does that include Las Vegas style in-room live entertainment as well.

It cetainly would be cheaper to fly to LV.

Are you a president? If you went to Vegas, would you look to book a presidential suite? No? This is lack of preparedness, coupled with high demand.

I've booked two nights in a hotel in Westport and two nights in a B&B in Cork for June. Can't wait.

26. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭wandererz

J Mysterio wrote: »
      Are you a president? If you went to Vegas, would you look to book a presidential suite? No? This is lack of preparedness, coupled with high demand.

I've booked two nights in a hotel in Westport and two nights in a B&B in Cork for June. Can't wait.

No i would not. Neither did I mention that's what I was looking for. I mentioned availability. No need for tangents.
      Presidential suites are just a term. Anyone can book them, President or not.
      I am the President of my own Republic (Dub15tan) so I have leeway.

I've booked 2x 7 nights in Connemara, 14 nights in total for 2 adults and 2 dogs for under €900, so I'm happy.

I'm just saying that for 2 nights at the Europe based on availability one could get 5-7 nights in LV including flights.

27. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

No i would not. Neither did I mention that's what I was looking for. I mentioned availability. No need for tangents.
      Presidential suites are just a term. Anyone can book them, President or not.
      I am the President of my own Republic (Dub15tan) so I have leeway.

I've booked 2x 7 nights in Connemara, 14 nights in total for 2 adults and 2 dogs for under €900, so I'm happy.

I'm just saying that for 2 nights at the Europe based on availability one could get 5-7 nights in LV including flights.

Good work on Connemarra.

I've seen some student Campus accommodation added to booking.com in the last few days circa €500 a week which might be of interest to people.

28. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I saw this advertised in the excellent staycation supplement that came in Saturdays Indo. I think its good value. €240 for 3 nights for 2 B&B.
      https://www.redcastlehoteldonegal.com/promotions/3-for-2/51-29974/

29. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

I’ve two weeks booked across the south west and south east - nice road trip planned with the two kids.

Normally we would always book a week somewhere in Ireland as well as abroad.

We booked it in January taking a chance that July would be open and the prices were not all that bad for some really nice spots - budget was higher than normal for an Irish holiday as we are not going abroad this year.

Really looking forward to it - plenty of beaches and pools for the kids to enjoy. Thankfully my kids really enjoy day tripping to see stuff as well

30. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

we decided to book two nights for June bank holiday weekend. was surprised how much availability there is

31. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Nonsense. I can book plenty of campervan sites today for lots of dates during the summer. I know this as I just did!

Thats great would share some for those who are struggling to find them? Any of the popular sites have banners on their pages stating they are fully booked for 2021.

32. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Thats great would share some for those who are struggling to find them? Any of the popular sites have banners on their pages stating they are fully booked for 2021.

I booked IOAC, Wexford the other day - their calendar is good and you can see availability.

Stayed in Castle Archdale, Fermanagh last weekend and they seem to have availability.

Also booked Westport hours and Lough Key but these may be full now.

Good availability in Blarney Caravan park which is a lovely clean park in Cork

33. Advertisement
    34. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

holidays start this weekend with a stay in the NW
      really looking forward to it

35. Posts: 18,749 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

Off to Clare next week, 3 nights B&B, one dinner, 195euro pp.
      Cannot wait! Massage booked also :D

36. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Very enjoyable weekend in the NW with fantastic weather, brilliant views and mainly spent on beaches.
      We all got a colour, managed to get pints from a pub on sunday night even though they weren't officially opened until today.
      Then we enjoyed family dinner today al fresco with drinks.

37. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Enjoyed hotel stays in Ballyvaughan, Galway City and Mullingar for the Royal Canal Greenway cycle on the long weekend. Great buzz in Galway.

38. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Enjoyed hotel stays in Ballyvaughan, Galway City and Mullingar for the Royal Canal Greenway cycle on the long weekend. Great buzz in Galway.

Sounds like you had a good time. How long would you have been cycling a day? Any logistical issues?

39. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

We holiday in Ireland every year and take a big holiday once every 2 or 3 years.

Last weekend was Clare. Pubs opened on the Friday evening thankfully so we could sit outside looking across the water with a drink for an hour or 2.

End of June, Aghadoe Heights Killarney. More expensive than what we would usually book but I rang them directly and got them to add a dinner on one evening for us at no extra charge. A treat after the last year being rotten.

End of July is Killarney again but will do Airbnb cos we will be bringing the dogs and having an active break.

August, back to Clare to stay with family and visit some local restaurants that we like.

I'll have to fit in a weekend in Connemara/Mayo somewhere in there to climb Mweelrea in Mayo and do Coasteering in Connemara.

Ireland is a grand little country to holiday in. The craic is what you make it and deals are there if you shop around.

40. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Can anything kill the buzz in Galway?

41. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I see what you mean.

Lesotho would be better.

consider Kerry instead.

Off the top of my head, The castle, round tower, caves, design center, lots of great food places. It's central so nowhere is really very far away from it. I've only ever done a weekend in Killarney, but we've always enjoyed it.

42. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Myself and husband have the first 2 weeks of August booked off but no holiday booked yet and from looking now it's either booked up or really expensive (2 adults and 3 kids). We live in South Donegal and explored north Donegal last summer which was amazing.

I have a relative in Galway we could stay with to save on accom so thinking of fun things to do there-without having to go into the city centre. I'm looking at Aran Islands for a day(rent bikes) etc, anything else that would be nice/outdoor/child friendly from Galway city centre as a base?

Thanks!

43. Advertisement
    44. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

saggycaggy wrote: »
      Myself and husband have the first 2 weeks of August booked off but no holiday booked yet and from looking now it's either booked up or really expensive (2 adults and 3 kids). We live in South Donegal and explored north Donegal last summer which was amazing.

I have a relative in Galway we could stay with to save on accom so thinking of fun things to do there-without having to go into the city centre. I'm looking at Aran Islands for a day(rent bikes) etc, anything else that would be nice/outdoor/child friendly from Galway city centre as a base?

Thanks!

North Clare is very accessible from Galway - Burren, Ailwee Caves & Birds of Prey, Cliffs of Moher etc.

45. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

fdevine wrote: »
      North Clare is very accessible from Galway - Burren, Ailwee Caves & Birds of Prey, Cliffs of Moher etc.

Haven't been to Ailwee Caves since I was a kid myself, totally didn't think of there!!
      Great stuff thank you!

46. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

saggycaggy wrote: »

Thanks!

Aran islands, inisbofin, leitir muillin islands (coral beaches)
      Connemara
      Lough corrib drive
      Turoe pet farm

47. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Heading to Westport weekend and restaurants reserved. Heading to Achill for a day

Any other suggestions

48. Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Summer staycation part 1 this past weekend. Camping with the kids in Connemara - pretty much rained from a few hours after arrival on Friday evening until a few hours before we left this morning. Became windier and colder as the weekend progressed. Can’t wait for part two in July when I’ll be praying that the weather gods are kinder to us.

In fairness it wasn’t all bad and the kids had a ball but we’ll all be high tailing it to warmer climes from 2022 onwards.

49. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Garzorico wrote: »
      Summer staycation part 1 this past weekend. Camping with the kids in Connemara - pretty much rained from a few hours after arrival on Friday evening until a few hours before we left this morning. Became windier and colder as the weekend progressed. Can’t wait for part two in July when I’ll be praying that the weather gods are kinder to us.

In fairness it wasn’t all bad and the kids had a ball but we’ll all be high tailing it to warmer climes from 2022 onwards.

Its that rain that kills holidays in Ireland for me.
      If you have nice weather in Ireland you cant beat it, but when you get rain its a terrible experience. And you just cant depend on the weather here.

50. Advertisement
    51. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JimmyVik wrote:
      Its that rain that kills holidays in Ireland for me. If you have nice weather in Ireland you cant beat it, but when you get rain its a terrible experience. And you just cant depend on the weather here.

Tis a stunning country when the weathers like today, but in the rain....

Think its Iceland for me this year

52. Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Heading to Westport weekend and restaurants reserved. Heading to Achill for a day

Any other suggestions

Stayed in the Wyatt there a week ago, couldn't fault it really, drove up to Achill where we had a look at the famine village in Doagh, grand drive though major roadworks outside Achill

53. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Stayed in the Wyatt there a week ago, couldn't fault it really, drove up to Achill where we had a look at the famine village in Doagh, grand drive though major roadworks outside Achill

Cheers Doagh is up in Donegal did that last year and scary drive and place was closed :(

Yeah plan to visit few beaches in Achill and maybe picnic and few food trucks around the island. May look at other drives along the coast as done the wild atlantic way but want to see small places off the beaten track and there are some beaten track roads in Ireland :D

Doing cruise around the harbour. And checking the weather its due to rain:mad:....I think it follows us when we travel in ireland :rolleyes:

54. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Its that rain that kills holidays in Ireland for me.
      If you have nice weather in Ireland you cant beat it, but when you get rain its a terrible experience. And you just cant depend on the weather here.

That is 100% correct.

55. Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Any other suggestions

If you've any interest in a bit of hiking, this loop is excellent - about 1 hour 15 mins from Westport. Not too difficult and the views are fantastic. Well marked the whole way also.

https://www.sportireland.ie/outdoors/walking/trails/benwee-loop-walk

Could take in Downpatrick Head on the way back also if you wanted to. We did similar one day on June bank holiday weekend, but we were staying in Belmullet so a bit closer than you are.

56. Advertisement
    Advertisement