Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

grbear wrote: »
    Odd looking team in some ways.

Sean Andy is the one that sticks out. The general consensus in springtime was that Joyce didn't rate him and I half expected him to be gone from the panel. Fair play to him if he has managed to play himself back into contention though.

I wouldn't be sure that Sean Andy is back first choice again but with the players unavailable and the fact that Galway don't desperately need the points I think there is a bit of experimentation going on as well and giving lads a chance before the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

With Daly out for the year, would a fit and sharp Sean Andy push Sean Mulkerrins out to #6. Might be worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭threeball

I wouldn't be sure that Sean Andy is back first choice again but with the players unavailable and the fact that Galway don't desperately need the points I think there is a bit of experimentation going on as well and giving lads a chance before the championship.

Exactly, its obvious from the team named that at least 7 or 8 won't be on the team come championship. Its about giving lads a chance to prove themselves in the circumstances and the fact we will probably meet Mayo again in a month. No point showing the cards now.

macslash wrote: »
    With Daly out for the year, would a fit and sharp Sean Andy push Sean Mulkerrins out to #6. Might be worth a look?

Possibly. Mulkerrins actually usually plays 6 for his club even though he's always played at 3 for Galway up through underage.

Possibly. Mulkerrins actually usually plays 6 for his club even though he's always played at 3 for Galway up through underage.

That's where I was coming from. I still think it'll be Silke at #6 but at least it's another option anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Excuse my ignorance, but why isn't Damien Comer starting?

Not keeping up with the news surrounding the footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭threeball

Excuse my ignorance, but why isn't Damien Comer starting?

Not keeping up with the news surrounding the footballers.

I presume all the big names will be rested for this one with a potential championship match with Mayo and a league decider with Dublin round the corner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

DVDM93 wrote: »
    ffs.

There is a video on twitter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The rags have little to.be doing. You can be sure the same went on in every junior, intermediate and senior club country wide that won a championship.

Only difference here is that it has caused county team issues.

• Advertisement

There is a video on twitter too.

yeah I got that in Whats App too alright.

The rags have little to.be doing. You can be sure the same went on in every junior, intermediate and senior club country wide that won a championship.

Only difference here is that it has caused county team issues.

That's not really a defence though is it? They should have known better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Not defending anything. I'm from Mayo so anything that weakens the Galway team for Sunday!!!

My point was that the rags have little to be doing putting photos up like that.

Nope, it's not, more perspective than anything really.

They should have known better, and I'm sure they did & knew the inevitable consequence.

The statement released by Moycullen was a case of shutting the stable doors after the horse had bolted too.

Every other team in the country done it as has been mentioned, they were never going to let that get in the way of celebrating their first ever county final.

I'm not defending them btw, but it is what it is & it was never not going to happen.

I think we all could called this that bar a Corofin county final win then there was always going to be the likes of these celebrations.

I'm sure Corofin would have too albeit would have been something not entirely new for them.

Not defending anything. I'm from Mayo so anything that weakens the Galway team for Sunday!!!

My point was that the rags have little to be doing putting photos up like that.

true.

even more so like you've said & like we'll agree it's been happening up & down the country for weeks.

a bit sh1tty they got collared for this like they have compared to others.

in thr grand scheme of things they were wrong mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

true.

even more so like you've said & like we'll agree it's been happening up & down the country for weeks.

a bit sh1tty they got collared for this like they have compared to others.

in thr grand scheme of things they were wrong mind.

The difficulty for the GAA is that they are powerless to stop those type of celebrations once the matches go ahead. The only thing the GAA can do to prevent it is to not hold the matches at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The difficulty for the GAA is that they are powerless to stop those type of celebrations once the matches go ahead. The only thing the GAA can do to prevent it is to not hold the matches at all.

Well said.

That's the crux of dilemma facing the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

In hindsight would it have been better to hold off on the finals until the new year?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭mjp

From my understanding of it is that PJ rated him & still does obviously.

But he'd put on a bit of timber & the form had dipped along with it as was visibly noticeable.

There may have been an ultimatum given & obviously it would seem he's put the head down since & is back to his best, fair play to him.

Seen Sean andy in championship game against oranmore and first time seeing him up close in flesh in club game and he looked to have trimmed down and in top shape. He's a colossus of a man and may well be needed Sunday with Aidan o shea named at 14 for mayo eventhough he may play further out the field. Healthy competition in this position will be good to get the best out of both players.

Great display and result for the under 20s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Great display and result for the under 20s

Some phenomenal displays. Even with our Moycullen lads missing I think Kerry may of been hit worse with virus/injuries. Some of these lads will relish trying to right the wrongs of the U20 semi final last year.

They won the minor but we won the most important under age grade in terms of senior potential.

We've been consistent at minor the past few years and its starting to filter through to U20.

Its amazing that in that near 10 year period without a senior Connacht, we were equally poor at underage grade bar two out of the blue wins in 2011 and 2013.

As the senior team started to win in Connacht, the minors also bridged the gap and everything has just been on an upward curve.

It's not about winning minors, its really about being competitive.

It's the opposite in hurling, won a few minors but uncompetitive at U20 and nobody is filtering through to the senior team as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Massively impressed with that secomd half. Lads like Cooley, Tierney and Hernon were unreal. To miss Kelly, Sweeney and Culhane while producing that level a performance is a credit to the panel and management.

Regardless of what happens in the coming week with restrictions they can be fierce proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The best of luck to joycey and the footballers today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Lads, I've never been this excited about a league match! Hon the Galway biys!!

Im glad its going ahead but I find it all a bit surreal good luck to the lads, its not easy. Social distancin go's out the window when ye cross the white line 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Not great.

To put it mildly.

What utter tripe.

Sean Andy's first contribution was to foul OShea who was facing away from goal.
    Always just pulls and drags people needlessly.

That kickout from Gleeson on 17mins shows we have no ploy, all the space was on the right and its booted where 12 players are and we lose it.

Wont be winning an AI when you can't perfect the only aspect of the game you have full control over.

This will be the end of Sean Andy again for a while. Just gave away 2 needless points in 2 minutes.

He's in good physical condition but still does daft things.

• Advertisement

I'm getting close to turning this off now.

Even after all the tripe we watched under KW this is probably worse than any of that.

No idea how to win our knockouts, just thumping it into a packed midfield and then man marking on theirs instead of just marking.

It's like some of these managers never tried to see what aspects of Dublins game they could replicate.
    Those two kickout aspects are core to their success.

Advertisement