Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

threeball wrote: »
    The two senior games were wierd. Both MM and Turlough played much better into the wind than against. Both chose to play aimless balls into the attack with the wind at their backs. Turlough in particular threw it away. At least Moycullen brought real pressure to bare on MM. Turlough just played into Thomas's hands by either lumping ball down on top of Fintan Burke or taking speculative shots from their own half. Particularly after they had been so methodical in working it forward in the first half. The second was a complete capitulation in terms of tactical discipline. They seemed to panic after losing Daithi.

Don't entirely agree. Turlough' still got a number of their scores in the second half by working the ball through the phases. Their main problem was that, Linnane aside, none of the other forwards produced sustained spells of play and were meeting the stickiest set of backs they encountered all championship. Their FF in particular I thought was poor, perhaps Fergal Moore might have been moved in there to curb Burke's dominance. In hindsight, the apparently wider spaces of Pearse stadium may have suited them moreso than Athenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

MfMan wrote: »
    Don't entirely agree. Turlough' still got a number of their scores in the second half by working the ball through the phases. Their main problem was that, Linnane aside, none of the other forwards produced sustained spells of play and were meeting the stickiest set of backs they encountered all championship. Their FF in particular I thought was poor, perhaps Fergal Moore might have been moved in there to curb Burke's dominance. In hindsight, the apparently wider spaces of Pearse stadium may have suited them moreso than Athenry.

Theres no doubt that their fowards were poor with Linnane being the only threat but all the more reason not to pump ball in on top of them. Leave them inside to occupy the FB line and pick off scores from 45 to 50m out with a wind at your back. If they did what they did in the first half they would have won with a bit to spare. Instead they played into Thomas's hands, who weren't particularly good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

The Ref was the cause of all the hassle and hadn't the balls to stand around and make another tough call in the end by sending another Cortoon player to the line for a strike to the face. Instead he blew the whistle and scurried off in case things got more heated after all the heat was of his own making. he was horribly poor thoughout so its no wonder he lost control in the end.

It was a head-scratcher of a refereeing performance down the final stretch, and I'd agree that this was pretty much the direct cause of the fracas. I wouldn't blame the players for continuous cynical rugby tackling- of course they're going to if they're being encouraged by the referee.

Either he was bottling decisions and so giving a major helping hand to Cortoon or he didn't know the rules, but ultimately playing against 14 or even 13 players, as they should certainly have been, would have been huge for KC considering the way Cortoon were set up to hang on to a slender lead. I can imagine Kilkerrin Clonberne will be very sore about the way that played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Got the impression that he didn't understand the black card and what is considered one.

Thought he had a poor day and was very much in the 'old' style of referee, getting caught in the old traps that generally ref's figure out these days, like giving doing a lad for steps just when he looks a bit hesitant on the ball, but missing those running at pace but taking 6/7, and giving the free against the attacker when he'd been fouled (these are never frees out anyway, just play on if no defensive foul)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Davy Glennon has declared for the Westmeath hurlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

DVDM93 wrote: »

Be no harm to see more of that. A county could declare their panel at the start of a season and other counties could draft unselected players weakest team first. It would raise the profile and prospects of weaker counties and create a more competitive season. Cap the number per squad to keep local players the main bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

DVDM93 wrote:

Working in Athlone and I think his parents or grandparents have a connection to Westmeath. But ya as threeball said it's good to see players from tier one counties play for tier two.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

DVDM93 wrote: »

Wonder how many have done this in the past.. eamon Morrissey and shiner brennan from kilkenny both went to Dublin....as did the ryan lad from tipp...Denis Byrne kilkenny went to topp...sure theres more..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Howyanowscan

Niall Corcoran won an All-Ireland at minor for Galway and went on to beat us in the 2013 Leinster final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Short commute from Athlone to Mullagh. Has he moved clubs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

h2005 wrote: »
    Short commute from Athlone to Mullagh. Has he moved clubs?

Isn't Cyril Farrell from the mullagh area, I doubt Yr would have handed him over to Westmeath as quick in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Jim McGuinness training the Galway senior footballers https://youtu.be/kLK9tgqr1_I

Jim McGuinness training the Galway senior footballers

I don't think there is much to this story. I think it was actually Galway and PJ doing McGuinness a favour as he was doing some sports psychology research. As so I was informed from a player. But you never know. Foot in the door now they may use him for more sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Howyanowscan

There's a few lads like O'Ceallaigh and Kerin that thought highly of themselves after 2018 and had manners put on them after the Rossie and Mayo debacles last year that McGuinness could motivate in a big way.

My only hope is that all involved are being careful as even top tier professional sporting outfits are experiencing cases. No football or hurling is worth risking young men and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Isn't Cyril Farrell from the mullagh area, I doubt Yr would have handed him over to Westmeath as quick in the past

Cyril Farrell is from Woodford. Mullagh would be a good 45 minute drive.

Dave Glennon has a lease on a pub in Loughrea that's doing a roaring trade in takeaway coffee at the moment by all accounts, but may also have employment in Athlone.

Would still be able to play for Mullagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Dave Glennon has a lease on a pub in Loughrea that's doing a roaring trade in takeaway coffee at the moment by all accounts, but may also have employment in Athlone.

How could he play for Westmeath if he’s playing club hurling in Galway? All seems really bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

How could he play for Westmeath if he’s playing club hurling in Galway? All seems really bizarre

Nothing stopping him as long as he didn't play for his county this year, which he didn't. Loadsa players play for clubs outside their counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Be no harm to see more of that. A county could declare their panel at the start of a season and other counties could draft unselected players weakest team first. It would raise the profile and prospects of weaker counties and create a more competitive season. Cap the number per squad to keep local players the main bulk.

This rule is in since 2006 and plenty of players have done the same move as Glennon and yes it is capped as well. Off the top of my head I know when it was first introduced from my own county David Kennedy and Eoin Brislane went to Kildare and Meath respectively.

Galway will have no access to the Moycullen players ever the weekend for both the U20 championship and the league match against Mayo. Loss of the players for the U20s is absolutely huge and makes a massive task against Kerry now near impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Galway will have no access to the Moycullen players ever the weekend for both the U20 championship and the league match against Mayo. Loss of the players for the U20s is absolutely huge and makes a massive task against Kerry now near impossible.
    How many starters on the U20 team, Paul Kelly, James McLaughlin and? Two big losses if out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

How many starters on the U20 team, Paul Kelly, James McLaughlin and? Two big losses if out.

Daniel Cox might have started as well. Came off the bench in the Connacht final. Absolutely massive losses to the U-20's sadly.

Lots unavailable for the seniors as well now but the Mayo game is a free hit really. Just have to hope everyone is available for the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

121513744_3566682896687936_4321712832244794166_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=qA9Ofk0eKXQAX8Fc6ba&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub3-1.fna&tp=6&oh=2f506772262dcc719651164fb1e6679c&oe=5FAAA093

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mc Laughlin is a huge loss, as impressive an underage footballer/midfielder as I've seen in many a long day.

Is Peter Cooke still working in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mc Laughlin is a huge loss, as impressive an underage footballer/midfielder as I've seen in many a long day.

Is Peter Cooke still working in the US?
    I believe so.

Paul Kelly was poor against Mayo, improved against Leitrim in the two U20 games. McLaughlin was immense in both. And their performances have improved again with Moycullen so much so that Paul Kelly has been called into the senior squad. It's a massive loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The Galway Senior Football team to play Mayo in the Allianz League this Sunday, October 18th is as follows:

1. Connor Gleeson

2. Conor Campbell

3. Sean Andy Kelly

4. Johnny Heaney (Capt.)

5. Liam Silke

6. Johnny Duane

7. Cillian McDaid

8. John Maher

9. Cein D'Arcy

10. Eamonn Brannigan

11. Michael Daly

12. Jason Leonard

13. Robert Finnerty

14. Ian Burke

15. Paul Conroy

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Odd looking team in some ways.

Sean Andy is the one that sticks out. The general consensus in springtime was that Joyce didn't rate him and I half expected him to be gone from the panel. Fair play to him if he has managed to play himself back into contention though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

Nobody can say he’s not giving lads a chance anyway looking at that team ! Is comer injured along with Walsh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

spurshero wrote: »
    Nobody can say he’s not giving lads a chance anyway looking at that team ! Is comer injured along with Walsh ?

Saw an iterview with Comer earlier in the wek, he said Covid was good for him, gave hima chance to recuperate and train, said the break did him the world of good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

grbear wrote: »
    Odd looking team in some ways.

Sean Andy is the one that sticks out. The general consensus in springtime was that Joyce didn't rate him and I half expected him to be gone from the panel. Fair play to him if he has managed to play himself back into contention though.

From my understanding of it is that PJ rated him & still does obviously.

But he'd put on a bit of timber & the form had dipped along with it as was visibly noticeable.

There may have been an ultimatum given & obviously it would seem he's put the head down since & is back to his best, fair play to him.

Advertisement