Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campions, now The Balgriffin Inn: The continuing saga thereof...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Sniffing and dealing were going on in that pub long before Belmayne was even thought of. Plenty of big time dealers used to frequent the place.

Been a good number of years since I’ve been in there and it was mostly in the hours of daylight after visiting the cemetery but shît, never would have had it down as a proper waánkers hangout. Coke heads have to be just about the biggest twats going in terms of substance usage I find, that shît just turns people into arrogant self absorbed aggressive twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Strumms wrote:
    Been a good number of years since I’ve been in there and it was mostly in the hours of daylight after visiting the cemetery but shît, never would have had it down as a proper waánkers hangout. Coke heads have to be just about the biggest twats going in terms of substance usage I find, that shît just turns people into arrogant self absorbed aggressive twats.

Sunday mornings the heavy dealers would gather there. Many dead now. Others fled the country

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There aren't many pubs in Dublin where people aren't doing coke in the jacks in fairness these days

True, but if there is dealing going on and dealers and all that comes with them hanging around like a bad smell it’s not somewhere I’d be inclined to want to head in for a few pints and a bit of lunch with the girlfriend and family. Pity, to have a great investment and all that work done and to turn into scrotesville.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Many dead now. Others fled the country

You reap what you sow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You reap what you sow.

It used to amaze me to see headlines saying that a particular guy was the biggest drug dealer in Dublin, Cork etc. They'd be in their 20s & 30s. They didn't get out when they made money & most were dead before their 40th birthday.Big money to be made in a short period of time but few live to enjoy the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I heard last night that it’s due to re-open soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bird123

I heard last night that it’s due to re-open soon.

Well let’s hope they put some more money into it to make it nicer... and develop a door policy this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I drove by it on Friday evening and could have sworn the lights were on and people were inside drinking?

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    I drove by it on Friday evening and could have sworn the lights were on and people were inside drinking?

I saw people in it on Friday afternoon. Looked like they were sitting down having a meeting of some sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Have heard a few bits here and there.

Same crowd had the Golden Ball pub out near Kiltiernan, and left it in the same circumstances. Golden Ball was then taken over by a crowd called Farmer Browns - they put their livery all over it, it's very tacky.

They wanted Campions too, but I've heard that some other crowd have actually gotten their hands on - totally unrelated to the shysters who had it between December and May. As far as I can make out, they are local-ish to the area and run at least one other pub, possibly somewhere closer to, or actually in, the city centre.

I think work is starting on the inside this week, another re-model of the front bar anyway, potentially work on the rest of it later - it should be re-opening in about a month.

Supposedly a turf accountants going in beside it also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So was it money laundering or what?

lawred2 wrote: »
    So was it money laundering or what?

no clue pal

I don't want to be all prudish and nanny statish but is it not about time that there were regulations about bookies being co-located beside pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

The fuzzy luminous green Heineken sign looks surprisingly similar to the green traffic light at that junction - particularly when sleep deprived.

Had to jam on the other night. Felt like a right wally for confusing the two.

The fuzzy luminous green Heineken sign looks surprisingly similar to the green traffic light at that junction - particularly when sleep deprived.

Had to jam on the other night. Felt like a right wally for confusing the two.

Exact same happened to me driving through there Saturday night.

It's definitely a hazard

Have heard a few bits here and there.

Same crowd had the Golden Ball pub out near Kiltiernan, and left it in the same circumstances. Golden Ball was then taken over by a crowd called Farmer Browns - they put their livery all over it, it's very tacky.

They wanted Campions too, but I've heard that some other crowd have actually gotten their hands on - totally unrelated to the shysters who had it between December and May. As far as I can make out, they are local-ish to the area and run at least one other pub, possibly somewhere closer to, or actually in, the city centre.

I think work is starting on the inside this week, another re-model of the front bar anyway, potentially work on the rest of it later - it should be re-opening in about a month.

A bookies will be handy there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Do people still goto bookies? I would have thought it was all online now.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Do people still goto bookies? I would have thought it was all online now.

I thought the same, but they still maintain a pretty heavy bricks and mortar presence.

Many, many aul lads wouldn't be au fait with smart phones or apps, and maybe even prefer using those tiny little pens and yellow sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Bookies are closing more often than opening these days, who would be opening a bookies these days.

Where is the space beside the pub, are they using part of the pub building.

imme wrote: »
    Bookies are closing more often than opening these days, who would be opening a bookies these days.

Where is the space beside the pub, are they using part of the pub building.

Bookies at the Newtown house does very good business, as does the one beside the Goblet etc. I’d say it’d do well at Campions, it was the one thing I thought was missing! I’d imagine it’s going in where the green/yellow headstone shop is maybe?

• Advertisement

Bookies at the Newtown house does very good business, as does the one beside the Goblet etc. I’d say it’d do well at Campions, it was the one thing I thought was missing! I’d imagine it’s going in where the green/yellow headstone shop is maybe?

There is nowhere I looked and thought "what's missing here is a bookies".

Not trying to be smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Will there be enough space to add "now reopen again" to the thread title

imme wrote: »
    There is nowhere I looked and thought "what's missing here is a bookies".

Not trying to be smart.

Right, but they seemingly do well beside other pubs in the area so I can see why they might put one in here.

I'm only in my 20s, but I've no interest in paddy power apps or anything like that, so for as long as its there (if it goes in at all) I'll be delighted. I liked Campions and will like it more now if all of this is true

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pmadden1991

Has anyone heard any news when or if the new pub is opening?

Has anyone heard any news when or if the new pub is opening?

Haven’t heard anything but they’ve given it a new exterior paint job. Looks far better now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Bird123 wrote: »
    Haven’t heard anything but they’ve given it a new exterior paint job. Looks far better now

I thought it had changed to colour when I saw it the other day..

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Bird123 wrote: »

Outside again this morning at 8.00am painting. Must be due to re-open soon. I'll be sticking with the Ploughman.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Stop trying to make Campions happen

• Registered Users Posts: 6 markyH

Looks like they are working on the inside. Hopefully it's a decent new local and it's going to open very soon.

• Advertisement

Have gone past it in recent days.

The exterior paint job does indeed look much better.

Advertisement