Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campions, now The Balgriffin Inn: The continuing saga thereof...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Might be getting close to reopening. They were putting roller shutters up on the doors and windows today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

They need to do something about the half arsed tiling job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bird123

Dante7 wrote: »
    They need to do something about the half arsed tiling job.

Tiling? Do you mean the slates on the roof? Yeah that definitely needs to be looked at, very shabby looking. They could do with removing the rotting wood above one of the doors too. Nevertheless a big improvement from what it did look like. Hopefully the inside is nice. They seem to be spending more money on it than the previous owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 markyH

Fingers crossed it's going to be a good new local. They need to send a few flyers around the local estates when they open. People will support the local if they know it's there. Many of us living in Clongriffin, Parkside & Belmayne would have no reason to drive by Campions to know whether it's open or not. It will be great to have a put to drink in that's within walking distance.

The Balgriffin Inn. Already a better name. Opening soon according to their FB page.
    Same guy runs The Hill 16 pub.

Exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

humberklog wrote: »
    The Balgriffin Inn. Already a better name. Opening soon according to their FB page.
    Same guy runs The Hill 16 pub.

Exciting.

Seen a skip with the old/new Thatch furniture around the side during the week so its looking like a clean vamp.

Fingers crossed, can't wait to sample it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I wonder if they’ll keep any of the staff from the Olde Thatch. There was two decent fellas on the bar for the short while it was open, Al was one of their names and I can’t remember the other, an older fella with a tache. They were sound lads

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Decent bar staff will already have found other jobs in this market. Nobody will have been paying them to sit idle this long.

Yeah, the first fella I mentioned was in the Clonliffe previously for a good while. Dunno if he went back there or what but he certainly was daycent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Thread title changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

says 9 days to go on their facebook yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

opened last night looks great on the facebook pics I seen

hope to get down for a pint later in the week meself

i do drink regulerly in the hill 16 and the owner runs a good shop no messing or any funny business

I'd a fair few on opening night.

Its a LOT different to The Thatch. The owner, Shane was giving everyone their first round of drinks free :)

They're not ready to sell food yet but will be in the next few weeks. I'm not a smoker but everyone said the beer garden is class, pity smoking can't be banned from here in pubs so non smokers can enjoy them too.

One of the old, old ie original Campions is still here!.. She's worked the old Campions, that horrible Thatch place and now back behind the bar in The Balgriffin Inn.

Good vibes so far.

Down here for a quiet few this evening, and I can only echo the above sentiments. A million times nicer inside, lovely staff, nice pint of the black stuff...what more could you want from a local boozer!?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

Went up on the opening night too. Received a very warm welcome and the first pint on the house. It was a nice touch. It's being professionally run.
    They've made some good improvements to the interior and the new outdoor area is great. It's great to finally have a decent local pub! Best of luck to them.

Lively here tonight. Band in the backroom. I like the way they've knocked through the bar.

The arched faux Georgian mirrors are either not supposed to be there or a nod to 80's Dublin disco bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Just dropped in for a pint and left, half of Darndale with a few kids in tow. If a pub isn't serving food there's no reason to have kids there. Some little fella in the smoking area was pushed over by his sister and the mother in the corner with her friends necking pints proclaimed "I knew this was gonna happen". Place has potential but they need to be firm and sort it.

Also the part where they knocked out the men's toilets from the bar and used it as acess the lounge is really strange. They should have knocked through on the other side. It's like the reception area for a hotel or something.

The staff are lovely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PacoIrish

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Just dropped in for a pint and left, half of Darndale with a few kids in tow. If a pub isn't serving food there's no reason to have kids there. Some little fella in the smoking area was pushed over by his sister and the mother in the corner with her friends necking pints proclaimed "I knew this was gonna happen". Place has potential but they need to be firm and sort it.

Also the part where they knocked out the men's toilets from the bar and used it as acess the lounge is really strange. They should have knocked through on the other side. It's like the reception area for a hotel or something.

The staff are lovely though.

Agree...was there yesterday eve. also & only stayed for couple pints, which were very nice & good selection of beers available!
    However the place has some strange renovations done to it & don’t know why they took out the bar that was at the door when you come in...funny muirals on the wall too.
    Good smoking area though closes at 9pm! However the back lounge area could still do with improvements & still has a strange layout & colour!
    The main fear is about the clientele that they will let in - granted it was a bank holiday yesterday but there was a few pissed up unsavory looking & loud characters & the dress code was non-existent from what I saw.
    As I was there, a few decent type local people came in & left after them seeing what it was like there, along with a DJ arriving in when it was advertised as live music!
    So imo this will lead to what happened to the Old Thatch in that decent type of locals will drop in & not bother again, unless they sort out it! Place has potential though & staff are nice & there are security staff there this time at least.

I see the coke problem hasn’t completely disappeared..

Made a second visit last night.. First of all I noticed they've door staff now, not always a bad thing.

Then I noticed the shams hanging around smoking at the door, always a good indicator of whats inside but I thought I'd check it out anyway.

Bar door was closed so I'd to use the door on the corner with a notice posted 'Neat dress essential after 7pm on the weekends'.

Went inside, there was a bouncer stationed in the lounge too.

There was a decent sized crowd, of mingers.

Not to worry, I'll try the bar. We didn't even get to the order a drink before deciding 'this place isn't for us and legged it.

Heading out and two scumbags in bubble jackets, shorts and Nike trainers were walking to the door. I joked 'I wonder if they're going in for a pint or to shoot someone lol. Amazingly they were hi-5'd by the bouncer, had the craic with some mates and went straight in.

I've worked the doors for 25 years and if that's the customer you want you'll fill the place but there's no longevity in it and you'll pay the price.

No chance I'll be back any time soon. Sh*thole.

• Advertisement

Quiet enough here today for the match

Quiet enough here today for the match

Yea I got a text from a mate to go for a pint, didn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Would have thought it's a bit of a trek for that kind of "clientelle" to go to in the evening. Could understand maybe during the day with the cemetery across the road and the culturally entitled going to visit graves

Anyone else bothered with here since? It’s my local now, been down most weekends since and for the odd weekday and it’s been excellent, very little trouble or bad clientele at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Anyone else bothered with here since? It’s my local now, been down most weekends since and for the odd weekday and it’s been excellent, very little trouble or bad clientele at all.

I went up there for the first time just before Xmas. Decent enough crowd, food was fine, staff were great. Not a bad spot for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bird123

Been down a good few times in the past few months. It’s a grand spot for one or two pints. The re painted inside the front bar and put in dimmer lights so it’s much cosier and relaxing. Had the burger on the menu last week, was v tasty ðŸ‘
    I just wish they’d smarten up the front of the building. It’s still looking a bit shabby. The external lighting at the front of the building is a bit all over the place. They should paint it a different colour too. The boarded up windows above Pub is doing it no favors. Hopefully they’ll invest a bit more into it. Hanging baskets in the summer time would look lovely on he window ledges. Definitely needs a bit more of a woman’s touch :)

'tis grand. Finding its feet well now as a decent local. A lot more people going there now than before.
    I was in for an hour on Sunday afternoon and the place was full. Loads of families having food.
    I was sitting in that middle area and got to see the staff sorting families out for seating etc. and was really impressed with their attention and easy professionalism.

I was stand offish about it when it re reopened but have warmed to it.

Good to hear positive things from others too. The place is constantly improving IMO. The door staff have gotten better since the early days. Go down on a Friday or Saturday night and you won’t see any tracksuits or the likes, and absolutely no trouble. I’ve seen a few people turned away from the door, and only one person refused service. You can tell they’re definitely trying to maintain a decent sort of clientele and that is good to see I suppose. All of the staff are great too.

Long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Stopped at the lights yesterday and looks like there's more building work coming on. Lads throwing rubble and stuff in to a dumper from upstairs.

• Advertisement

I heard from one of the barmen that the living accommodation upstairs was going to be advertised on AirBnB

Advertisement