Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girls don't cycle! Guess whos fault it is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

seamus wrote: »
    That's all pretty mealy-mouthed, frankly.

And convenient that it doesn't require you (and by that I mean society in general) to have to do anything or change your behaviour.

What's infinitely more interesting is the lack of a comparative response from the other poster. Just look at the lack few back-and-forths between them.

So I'd say it is indeed convenient not to offer potential "solutions" but tell other people about how convenient it is for them to do nothing!

It's all hot air and bs, people getting in a tizzy about nothing that can be changed, and thats if it's a problem at all.

Rain is a problem now and then, but what are you going to do about it?

Use an umbrella? Oh how convenient! An excuse to avoid the underlying issue of it actually raining!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sardonicat wrote: »
    So sexual harassment shouldn't be prosecuted?

lol ok bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Your Face wrote: »
    You seem to be avoiding the question about the impact of another 50k cars on the road. Would you like to revisit that please?

And perhaps you could explain why doubling your risk of heart disease and near doubling your risk of cancer is 'growing up'?

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2017/0828/900502-the-health-benefits-of-cycling-to-work-are-staggering/

Are people really that petty and small minded that they are impressed by car ownership?

lol
    Is that the entire sum of your wisdom on this topic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

ok what would you say to the black lad in the other posters hypothetical situation?

They have nothing worthwhile saying beyond "oh isn't it dreadful!"

You're just being suckered into a one-sided conversation man

blanch152 wrote: »
    That's slightly inconsistent with every bit of road safety statistics that shows that motorists are killing 2 or 3 people each week on the roads and maiming many more, while cyclists aren't.

We have four out of five drivers breaking speed limits. We have the majority of motorists using their phones while driving. We have the vast majority of red light jumpers being motorists. Let me know if you need sources to confirm any of these claims.

Perhaps you need to up your game on observation.

Yes, motorists kill cyclists, that is an inevitable outcome of the physics of a car hitting a bicycle.

What I don't understand are the kamikaze-type cyclists who break the rules of the road, take unbelievable risks and put themselves into trouble.

If a car breaks the rules of the road, the consequences of the risk to the driver are low. However, when a cyclist takes a risk and breaks the rules of the road, whether by cycling through a red light, up the wrong way of a one-way street, in-between slow-moving cars etc. the consequences of the risk are extremely damaging. The benefits are at most a minute of two saved on a journey.

It just baffles me why some cyclists take these risks. Standing at traffic lights having got off a bus and watching this behaviour makes me wonder about their sanity. For every cyclist that behaves rationally and carefully, there seem to be another one that is behaving in a kamikaze fashion. And I haven't even talked about the ones in dark clothing and no lights on their bike on a badly-lit road in winter rain!

Human behaviour is what it is. Normal humans will take risks - speeding, on their phone when driving - when the consequences to themselves are low. Such is human nature.
    Motorists kill far more motorists and pedestrians than they do cyclists. Perhaps the risk to motorists isn't quite as small as you imagine?

Perhaps the risk to cyclists isn't quite as big as you imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Yes. Yes I do.

Is there anything in what I said that you'd like to contradict?

So you’ve come into a thread and derailed it again with your own agenda when the thread has nothing to do with your own agenda? You do realise it’s your holier-than-thou attitude which adds fire to your actual agenda and turns even more people against cyclists...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,900 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Hi Vis vests are the bane of cyclists. They're cycling, not going to a building site. If hi vis is so key to road safety why aren't cars painted with hi viz paint?

Cars have these big bright things called lights - which are very hard to miss. I always leave the small lights on no matter what the weather. Makes a big difference in the avoidance of any accidents.
    In Sweden it is actually a legal requirement.

---

As for the cycling article it seems like just another vehicle (excuse the pun) to shoehorn another 'oppressed women/girls' narrative article into the mix.
    So that all girls can tune into it regardless of thier skin colour and socio-economic background.
    And can scream oppression!
    It seems the #metoo movement has just gotten another step sillier.

Get on your bike I say to them....

It's healthy.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

No but I'm finished with you so good bye.
    Good luck with being outraged about everything.
    Hope you get a car soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

lol ok bye

So you really don't want to answer the question?
    Suggesting to black children that racial harassment will occur due to a minority of racist white folks is a fact of life and the means of tackling it at a societal level starts and ends with teaching them emotional resilience is not an adequate response, according to you.

Teaching female children that sexual harassment is a fact of life due to a minority of misogynistic men and tackling it at a societal level starts and ends with teaching them emotional resilience IS a perfectly adequate response at a societal level.

Is that your view?

• Advertisement

Your Face wrote: »

No but I'm finished with you so good bye.
    Good luck with being outraged about everything.
    Hope you get a car soon.
    Like most cyclists, I have a car. I just don't have time to sit around in traffic increasing my cancer and heart disease rates.

Hi Vis vests are the bane of cyclists. They're cycling, not going to a building site. If hi vis is so key to road safety why aren't cars painted with hi viz paint?

Cars have these big bright things called lights - which are very hard to miss. I always leave the small lights on no matter what the weather. Makes a big difference in the avoidance of any accidents.

---
    They don't have lights on the sides, and it's not unusual to find that one or more lights are broken or the idiot driver doesn't know how to operate their DRLs - so surely hi-vis stripes on all sides of all cars would be a great safety advance?

Suggesting to black children that racial harassment will occur due to a minority of racist white folks is a fact of life and the means of tackling it at a societal level starts and ends with teaching them emotional resilience is not an adequate response, according to you.

Teaching female children that sexual harassment is a fact of life due to a minority of misogynistic men and tackling it at a societal level starts and ends with teaching them emotional resilience IS a perfectly adequate response at a societal level.

Is that your view?

the only actual issue I can find fault with there is the addition of "and ends with" tbh

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So if you're saying that cars are highly visible because they have big bright lights, why do other drivers frequently crash into them?

Like most cyclists, I have a car. I just don't have time to sit around in traffic increasing my cancer and heart disease rates.

jesus renko

i know you struggle with rage issues buddy, but thumbing your nose at the thousands of commuters that suffer these life-threatening conditions every year and the effects on their families is not a good look

have a word with yourself man for gods sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Because the car isnt going to get killed in the collision situation, they are loud and big and heavy and cyclists at the mercy of them need to illuminate themselves to avoid them

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »

Because the car isnt going to get killed in the collision situation, they are loud and big and heavy and cyclists at the mercy of them need to illuminate themselves to avoid them
    Far more motorists and passengers are killed on the road than cyclists.

So again I ask, why don't we mandate hi-vis stripes on all cars and vans?

jesus renko

i know you struggle with rage issues buddy, but thumbing your nose at the thousands of commuters that suffer these life-threatening conditions every year and the effects on their families is not a good look

have a word with yourself man for gods sake
    There’s no thumbing of noses by me. Every single post by me is aimed at reducing the rates of incidence of those conditions.

But if you really are concerned about those conditions, maybe direct a bit of your concern at those who make proposals that will actually increase the rates - like banning cycling or mandatory helmet laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

So sexual harassment shouldn't be prosecuted?
    If you actually read the response you'll see that the poster never said that sexual harassment shouldn't be prosecuted. The problem is its very difficult to prosecute without proof

So if you're saying that cars are highly visible because they have big bright lights, why do other drivers frequently crash into them?

Do you realise how silly this sounds?
    There are other obvious variables at play which I will not go into here as it would derail the thread about girls and thier unwillingness to cycle.

It is clear that being visible on the road regardless of the mode of transport means less accidents.
    Regardless of the gender of any cyclist being visible is a crucial aspect.
    Hi-vis jackets are not designed as fashion statements they are designed to save lives of one of the most vulnerable users of the road after pedestrians.

Also many girls are anti-exercise particularly when they hit thier mid teens and trail away from team sports.
    Cycling, Swimming, Tennis are normally the few pastimes that girls keep up other than team sports in thier later life.

Maybe more fashionable cycling gear could be developed for young girls while at the same time being visible and safe?

Cycling is probably a touchy subject for the trans crowd..

I dunno those transformer bikes are fairly cool I think

300px-Axerwturbocycle.jpg

• Advertisement

You seem to be avoiding the question about the impact of another 50k cars on the road. Would you like to revisit that please?

And perhaps you could explain why doubling your risk of heart disease and near doubling your risk of cancer is 'growing up'?

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2017/0828/900502-the-health-benefits-of-cycling-to-work-are-staggering/

Are people really that petty and small minded that they are impressed by car ownership?

Do you search Boards for every thread that has any mention of bikes? You seem to be routinely arriving in threads about bikes to make them into a bikes V everybody else on the road argument

Some types of people are just prone to really fixate with certain subjects, and want to shoehorn thier narrative agenda into it not matter what.
    But sure each to thier own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

Thread is going very off topic now. Enough with the Cyclists vs Motorist posts, from all sides please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The article can be summed by this clip...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is that your view?
    against my better judgement and despite the bad faith responses i will engage one last time.

Its not all or nothing. Promoting resilience is not an alternative to seeking societal change, its something that runs in parallel.

Social attitudes change. Slowly. In the meantime, women need to be able to use bicycles. Now, thousands if not tens of thousands of women and girls use bicycles daily in Ireland, weathering the storm of harassment, cat calls, wolf whistles and sexual assault which this thread has taught me are the bane of females on two wheels and which this genderbaiting article claims to be keeping this country's girls off the bikes.

Did we need the Indo to tell us that anti social and criminal behaviours are bad and have consequences for society? No. We already knew that. All crime should be prosecuted including sexual harassment. Obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is one the tropes that are thrown around by the cyclist lobby. Essentially it boils down to "helmets / hi vis doesn't look cool so we shouldn't have to wear it" - a nonsense reason for not using proven safety gear of course. No different whatsoever from a driver refusing to use a seat belt because it's not 'cool'.

Hi vis (by which I'm presuming you refer to fluorescent jackets etc, rather than reflective gear) uses colour wavelengths which the human eye is most sensitive to - just because some cyclists feel it's uncool doesn't mean it doesn't work. Your car quip is also much beloved of the usual Boards cyclist brigade - a car of course is bigger and faster moving and therefore much more easily discerned by the human brain (which is attuned to movement) and of course the driver is far less vulnerable than a cyclist (especially those who refuse to take responsibility for their own safety by eschewing helmets etc). All cars in the EU are now required to be equipped with daytime running lights which of courses enhances visibility - much like hi vis.

Black cars are involved in more crashes. Ban black cars while you're at it.

Do you realise how silly this sounds?
    There are other obvious variables at play which I will not go into here as it would derail the thread about girls and thier unwillingness to cycle.

It is clear that being visible on the road regardless of the mode of transport means less accidents.
    So you'd be in favour of hi-vis stripes on all sides of all cars then? Will you be getting your hi-vis stripes for your car this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

"...and boys and men are the ones we need to educate"

Er... no. No it's not. It's girls and women that need to be educated in the relative pros and cons of cycling in general.

The grown women, I assume, will know and have their reasons for same already.

But nice try Tanya all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Candie wrote: »
    I'm 32, it was a fair while ago (I was 13) and in England but I meet harassment more often than I'd like if I'm out running alone and it's not a huge cultural gap, if any at all.

I've never seen anyone beaten up, m partner was never beaten up, my brother was never beaten up, I don't know man who was just beaten up on a night out. Does that mean it doesn't happen or it's a rare event? Course not.

British men are weird. When I pass them they comment on my hair, outfit, pants, posture, what have you. Guffawing like a herd of geese and jockeying around my space. Happens more times than I can count tbh.

The women aren't much better. They seem to be cackliung like hyenas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Candie wrote: »
    Indeed I am. And so is that poster, engaging in discussion on a discussion site, who doesn't need you to police them.

Thank you for the comment.

"...and boys and men are the ones we need to educate"

Er... no. No it's not. It's girls and women that need to be educated in the relative pros and cons of cycling in general.

The grown women, I assume, will know and have their reasons for same already.

But nice try Tanya all the same.
    I'm not sure that educating girls and women is going to do much to stop the problem of being harassed by men, unless you're talking about educating them in Krav Maga so they can knock seven kinds of sh1te out of their harassers?

To be honest, I'm not sure that broad education of men and boys is really going to work either. I think it needs perhaps a more direct approach, of taking fairly direct action when this is happening on the street. If it is young lads having a go, there is a good chance that the lads will be in one or other school uniform, which opens a channel for getting it sorted.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure that educating girls and women is going to do much to stop the problem of being harassed by men, unless you're talking about educating them in Krav Maga so they can knock seven kinds of sh1te out of their harassers?

To be honest, I'm not sure that broad education of men and boys is really going to work either. I think it needs perhaps a more direct approach, of taking fairly direct action when this is happening on the street. If it is young lads having a go, there is a good chance that the lads will be in one or other school uniform, which opens a channel for getting it sorted.

Or they could just develop a thick skin?

Women have been cat called for aeons. Does it make it right? No. But it is something that happens. Always will.

Women can be pretty nasty to other women too bare in mind, especially young girls trying to figure out who they are in school and some girls will get dogs abuse from other girls decked out in (understandably) safety gear if they are cycling to school I guarantee... Do not for one second think that women get abuse from solely men, young or otherwise.

That is simply the reality of things. The real world is a harsh place.

So you'd be in favour of hi-vis stripes on all sides of all cars then? Will you be getting your hi-vis stripes for your car this weekend?

Sorry I know from previous experience engaging with you is a waste of time.
    Just so you know you are on my ignore list.
    I am only responding to you out of courtesy and concern for your well being - genuinely.
    As I hope you get the help you need to live a fulfilling and happy life.
    I think you need to stick to the topic in the thread at hand, and find the skills to be aware when you go beyond said topic.
    That is my two cents on it.
    Just analyse your post above or get someone close to you/a few friends to read it.
    Then ask yourself am I making sense?
    Or do I sound a bit off there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

vicwatson wrote: »
    “the ones who do cycle say verbal harassment from boys and men is a top deterrent”

What the f is that all about?
    I think a lot of guys could admit to having made an inappropriate comment to a girl or woman. I remember wolf-whistling at a young woman (we were each cycling, but in different directions) when I was 16. Having done it, I then didn't know what to do next. She didn't rip off her clothes and demand to make love to me. I didn't do it again. Doing stuff like this once might be understandable, as we experiment and make our way in the world, but it isn't really acceptable.

Many guys can probably remember having done worse, especially with a bit of drink on board. The drink might explain it, but it doesn't justify it - if you break social norms when you are drunk, stop getting drunk.

Then there is a proportion of guys who engage in harassment all day every day. Often other guys don't see or hear it, but it still happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

At the elite levels men are better at all sports because they're physically superior.

This is due to nature, not social construct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

At the elite levels men are better at all sports because they're physically superior.

While this thread is about utility cycling, Fiona Kolbinger disagrees with you. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/aug/06/fiona-kolbinger-first-woman-win-transcontinental-cycling-race

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Victor wrote: »
    While this thread is about utility cycling, Fiona Kolbinger disagrees with you. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/aug/06/fiona-kolbinger-first-woman-win-transcontinental-cycling-race
    But would she win a Giro, TDF or Vuelta?

Pro cycling is very different to an amateur charity tour in all respects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

While I can accept that women may experience verbal harassment while cycling, there is absolutely no point in whinging to the public about it. That won’t change the behaviour of the type of person that harasses. The solution is to call them a fat baldy effer and to save it for their skanky wife.

Or they could just develop a thick skin?

Women have been cat called for aeons. Does it make it right? No. But it is something that happens. Always will.

Women can be pretty nasty to other women too bare in mind, especially young girls trying to figure out who they are in school and some girls will get dogs abuse from other girls decked out in (understandably) safety gear if they are cycling to school I guarantee... Do not for one second think that women get abuse from solely men, young or otherwise.

That is simply the reality of things. The real world is a harsh place.
    I grew up in the 70s with BBC and ITV comedians doing 'paki' jokes, Paddy jokes, 'poof' jokes and 'my wife' jokes. That was 'simply the reality of things'.

The reality of things changed because decent people decided that this wasn't acceptable - so they changed it. If you don't want your daughters, your nieces, your sisters to have to put up with this crap, you need to change. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    Sorry I know from previous experience engaging with you is a waste of time.
    Just so you know you are on my ignore list.
    I am only responding to you out of courtesy and concern for your well being - genuinely.
    As I hope you get the help you need to live a fulfilling and happy life.
    I think you need to stick to the topic in the thread at hand, and find the skills to be aware when you go beyond said topic.
    That is my two cents on it.
    Just analyse your post above or get someone close to you/a few friends to read it.
    Then ask yourself am I making sense?
    Or do I sound a bit off there?
    Thanks for the advice. I've gone back and analysed the post above. I'm perfectly happy with it.

If you're finding it difficult to argue with it on any rational basis, that speaks volumes.

What's this got to do with the topic in hand?
    While I can accept that women may experience verbal harassment while cycling, there is absolutely no point in whinging to the public about it. That won’t change the behaviour of the type of person that harasses. The solution is to call them a fat baldy effer and to save it for their skanky wife.
    I'm not sure this is good advice, because;
    a) if they're a few 16 year old lads, they won't be fat or baldy or have skanky wives, and more importantly
    b) that's probably exactly the kind of reaction they want. They are trolls, who will delight in getting that kind of reaction.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But would she win a Giro, TDF or Vuelta?

Pro cycling is very different to an amateur charity tour in all respects.
    Aye, way more drugs in the former. Allegedly...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    citizen_smith.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I’ll be hung out to dry for this but sure isn’t everything men’s fault now? Isn’t it up to men to fix every societal wrong that they are responsible for.

This third wave feminism nonsense is far too happy to firmly place women into victim hood.

Such a nonsense article. How many men (even the oaf ones) would risk wolf whistling a teenage girl on a bike these days? Very few I’d wager because they know before the whistle is done they’ll be on Facebook and vigilantes will be at their door.

The lack of young female cyclists I’d expect is far more to do with having to wear safety gear, their parents not allowing them because it’s not safe because our roads are not suitable for the most part for cyclists and thirdly they’re teenagers, most are far too lazy to hop up on their bikes in the rain when they can be carted to school in the comfort of the family car while retaining their polished brows and no helmet hair.

TLDR: It’s not men’s fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Apologies for the abysmal punctuation in the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I’ll be hung out to dry for this but sure isn’t everything men’s fault now? Isn’t it up to men to fix every societal wrong that they are responsible for.

This third wave feminism nonsense is far too happy to firmly place women into victim hood.

Such a nonsense article. How many men (even the oaf ones) would risk wolf whistling a teenage girl on a bike these days? Very few I’d wager because they know before the whistle is done they’ll be on Facebook and vigilantes will be at their door.

The lack of young female cyclists I’d expect is far more to do with having to wear safety gear, their parents not allowing them because it’s not safe because our roads are not suitable for the most part for cyclists and thirdly they’re teenagers, most are far too lazy to hop up on their bikes in the rain when they can be carted to school in the comfort of the family car while retaining their polished brows and no helmet hair.

TLDR: It’s not men’s fault.
    On the face of it I see very few girls at primary level on bikes anyway, aside from very small ones, so is it really an activity that girls embrace for a young age?

Yup. Modern "feminism": Women are always delicate victims without agency and it's always men's fault and agency and responsibility to fix it. Even when and rarely men are acknowledged as victims, it's still their fault, cos "patriarchy".

The irony is that in actual patriarchies(which the west most certainly isn't) they hold pretty much the same view; women are delicate agentless victims and it's men's responsibility to protect them from harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

That’s because we still do live in a patriarchal or post-patriarchal world where we're still dealing with the vestiges of patriarchy (it doesn’t matter too much which).

I can’t remember who said this but; "In the game of patriarchy, women are the ball", and you can see that play out in this thread. Most people don’t actually want to help young women they just want to blame men. And anyone who takes a position against that out of concern that the approach is wrong will have their position repeatedly misrepresented as well as having to fend off endless strawmen.

Not to mention, the assumption is always that if women aren’t behaving exactly like men (in this case cycling enough) something must be wrong. Men are the baseline, women the deviation.

• Advertisement

I grew up in the 70s with BBC and ITV comedians doing 'paki' jokes, Paddy jokes, 'poof' jokes and 'my wife' jokes. That was 'simply the reality of things'.

The reality of things changed because decent people decided that this wasn't acceptable - so they changed it. If you don't want your daughters, your nieces, your sisters to have to put up with this crap, you need to change. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks for the advice. I've gone back and analysed the post above. I'm perfectly happy with it.

If you're finding it difficult to argue with it on any rational basis, that speaks volumes.

What's this got to do with the topic in hand?

I'm not sure this is good advice, because;
    a) if they're a few 16 year old lads, they won't be fat or baldy or have skanky wives, and more importantly
    b) that's probably exactly the kind of reaction they want. They are trolls, who will delight in getting that kind of reaction.

Not really. Tastes changed. Stereotypes still exist in entertainment today.

Studios cottoned on to that fact fairly quickly back in the day and then followed suit.

I don't have any daughters, sisters, or nieces and even if I did, I wouldn't feel any need to 'change'. I don't cat call women because I'm not some thirsty cretin.

What I would say to any daughter that I may have in the future is that there are any amounts of ****ty people out there (both sexes) who will try to get a rise out of you and that it is always important to rise above that ****e with dignity. By doing so I'd imagine you are teaching your child some resilience which will be essential to their overall development and survival into adult years.

You can educate in schools and collages all you want but ****ty human behaviors have always been here and they will never go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

And in the dying embers of this thread, we have post after post, expressing attitudes that give more than a faint clue as to why girls and women tend not to ride bikes and, ironically, make the original articles authors point. Luckily I just happen to have a box full last few rolls of tape, ideal for abraded knuckles. Only €2 a pop; roll up, roll up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

cnocbui wrote: »
    And in the dying embers of this thread
    This thread will go on for a good while yet I reckon. It has too many After Hours/IMHO ingredients for it to die out this soon. Also one particular poster has shown up who will argue the minutiae of topics for months on end and enough people will respond to him to keep it going.
    Chin up cnocbui, a lot more arguing still to come ;)

seamus wrote: »
    Women: “the ones who do cycle say verbal harassment from boys and men is a top deterrent”

This thread: "No, that can't be it! Let's not listen to actual experience, let's just whine about an anti-man agenda"

Why is it so difficult for some people to accept it when women en masse tell you that they experience harrassment from men on an daily basis? Why do you automatically assume that they're lying and engaging in an attack on men?

"I don't see it, so it mustn't happen" - is that it? Is it just self-centeredness?

But sure with this logic it would only take one of two people to be 'harassed' during any everyday activity.
    Or if women girls have body image issues they don't engage in activities etc

Swimming -

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11378695/Body-image-worries-make-half-a-million-women-give-up-swimming.html

Tennis -

https://slate.com/human-interest/2015/07/beauty-standards-and-tennis-players-women-still-aren-t-supposed-to-look-strong.html

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/14/serena-williams-female-athletes-femininity-police

When you contrast how men and women in general view themselves most women view themselves as overweight, most men view themselves as normal weight

https://jeatdisord.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40337-017-0163-1

I feel that the problem is the mindset of many women or girls they are very insecure in themselves. Have thin-skins whereas a man would brush off insults for the most part, or laugh it off.
    However I notice these days this attitude 'of poor me' has even permeated into some of those males in thier 20's and early 30's who like to tell the world that they are 'in a bad place' etc no matter how minor. And build it up into something major.

To make the whole thing into a harassing women angle is odd to me.
    Anyone can be harassed regardless of gender, colour and sexual preference etc - anywhere. You would swear there are gangs of men waiting for a chance to shout abuse girls on bikes at every opportunity

Let's be honest here there is a double standards with many women it is often joked by women that if a 'hot guy' chats up a woman she views it as flirting.
    If to put it politely 'less than hot guy' chats up a woman it can be viewed as harassment. :D

The real problem to me is that women seem to be struggling for a 'battle' to fight these days so have to invent a 'cause' however minimal. So we get silly articles littered with contradictions all over the place like the OP mentioned.
    Self image - being more interested in how they look on the bicycle/not stylish or whether they might look bit sweaty.
    It is far easier for women or girls to blame another group 'men', rather then look at thier own mindset which is at the root of the issue.
    Yet these are the same women and girls who get drawn into a competitive social media (between each other) looking for likes and comments on instragram and facebook posts. With photo filters and so on adding to the fakery of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

• Advertisement
Advertisement