Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Galway people are about thee most clannish in the land if you exclude kerry, folks don't even like those from three parishes over

This ain't going to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,402 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The population was over 2,600 in the 2016 Census. Where did the missing 1,300 go in the last few years?

https://connachttribune.ie/county-galways-population-rising-falling-201/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wibbs wrote: »
    A) those days of young men being forced to die for dictators are nowhere near over, or y'know we wouldn't have warzones. B) I condemn them because too many are going on boats to the "promised land" paying thousands to ratbag traffickers to facilitate this, being picked up and ferried by European naval ships to said promised land(you couldn't make it up) and a large proportion of them are not coming from warzones, or are not Syrians, but are economic migrants.

Great, if they were trained and educated for roles they could fill in this society, but few enough are. So no, I certainly don't want more of them. I certainly don't want Irish towns and cities to go down the retarded route of following our European neighbours decades long multiple examples of ghettoisation and local social issues and unrest offered up on that busted flush altar of modern "multiculturalism". And no, we won't do it any differently, we won't make a success of it where every single other European country that bought into this nonsense couldn't. And I doubt I'm alone in this opinion and that opinion will grow and we will have those problems where we didn't have them before. Come back in ten, twenty years and observe.

They are Wibbs, we will always have warzones because not everyone is forced, but try talking to some of the young men fleeing Syria, Afghanistan, Eritrea, sub Saharan Africa,and they'll tell you they weren't prepared to kill and die for some tinpot dictatorship or militia. And to just write them off is lazy.

B) if they are economic migrants from some peaceful safe then yeah send them back (not every non warzone is safe btw). But you don't get to judge people and make wholesale write-offs based off some lazy analysis.

Help those in need, that's how it should be. If someone is in need on your doorstep you don't say, hm, what's it worth to me.l. and I'll never apologise for that.
    And it doesn't have to end in ghettos and unrest. I spend a lot of time in Austria which was one of the main routes for refugees back in 2015, and there are no no-go zones or ghettos there nowadays. The biggest problem has been a rise in the far right based off of fear mongering but while crime did rise in 2015 it's now down to it's lowest level since the 90s. Saying wewont make it work is perhaps realistic but perhaps just lazy, and again we don't leave some one suffering on our doorstep because we think the HSE will **** it up later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Arghus wrote: »
    What saddens me the most about things like this is that everything becomes so emotive and polarised right from the beginning.

You're either a racist or a bleeding heart hard-leftie, depending on what you say and there's no space for any nuance or attempt to find some common ground. The voices start shouting from both sides of the debate and everyone in the middle feels brow beaten and just lets them to it. The rhetoric in here is already fairly hot and I'm surprised to see it coming from some posters who usually, I would think, pride themselves on their objectivity and critical thinking.

I'm from about ten miles down the road from Oughterard, I'd know the town quite well. There's loads about the whole issue that I'd have numerous concerns about, but there is also a lot of scaremongering and hysteria going on, when, right now, what's actually known for certain is limited enough.

Best and most sensible post in the thread. Always inflamed rhetoric from both sides. I think it's fair enough the people from the town don't think it's a fair a small and unbalanced town may have to take in numbers, if that what was going to happen. I also think Grealish is a prick for the way he stoked flames and pandered to the types who would react in exactly the way he knew and act as if he was some brave rebellious type, rather than the slimy local vote gatherer he is. What the hell had 'Christian' got to do with anything?

A guy who left over £500,000 of debt and £40,000 in unvouched expenses accusing anyone of sponging is hilarious. He's got no 'save the Hospital' bandwagon to jump on so threw a dart at the Casey one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭Homelander

The population was over 2,600 in the 2016 Census. Where did the missing 1,300 go in the last few years?

https://connachttribune.ie/county-galways-population-rising-falling-201/

Murdered by foreigners I'd assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

What annoys me about this conversation is that we will only ever hear one side of the story on the media. RTE will no doubt discuss this on the 9 o clock news tonight with a representative from some anti-racism charity and a TD from PBP. The prevailing view is that we should allow for unfettered migration, peace and love to everyone.

The second you question the economic legitimacy of unfettered mass importation of people with no qualifications, no ability to speak the language and no desire to ever integrate, you are branded a racist.

This proposed arrival of 200+ people to Oughterard is a really obviously terrible, ill-thought out idea, common sense allows one to easily see that. And yet how quick Leo is to condemn Mr Grealish for his views. Not so quick to condemn Ms Bailey or provide the completed report on her conduct to the public.

People are sick of being talked down to on issues such as this and we'll see it play out again now over the coming days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I trust matt gave him a foot massage

Well Roe McDermott was his previous guest bladdering on about "internalized misogyny" so he was all fired up to have a go at Grealish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What annoys me about this conversation is that we will only ever hear one side of the story on the media. RTE will no doubt discuss this on the 9 o clock news tonight with a representative from some anti-racism charity and a TD from PBP. The prevailing view is that we should allow for unfettered migration, peace and love to everyone.

The second you question the economic legitimacy of unfettered mass importation of people with no qualifications, no ability to speak the language and no desire to ever integrate, you are branded a racist.

This proposed arrival of 200+ people to Oughterard is a really obviously terrible, ill-thought out idea, common sense allows one to easily see that. And yet how quick Leo is to condemn Mr Grealish for his views. Not so quick to condemn Ms Bailey or provide the completed report on her conduct to the public.

People are sick of being talked down to on issues such as this and we'll see it play out again now over the coming days.

We are in hock to EU an UN now.

Can anyone refute this?

We are in hock to EU an UN now.

Can anyone refute this?

Can you explain what you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

I wonder if the Oughterard towns people would be just as rejecting if their council told them that they were going to build to move 250 Dublin people to their area?. I personally think the Oughterard people would be just as up in arms about that scenario just as much. Even Galway itself treats Dublin people terribly, and always did, especially spiddal Co. Galway. I sense Karma has come to town.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Advertisement

Can you explain what you mean?

OK, as if you don't know, but whatever....

Our Government is an EU member, EU support us as they have already during Brexit negotiations so far.

There may be a price to be paid which involves supporting these migrants. Well Merkel started it off didn't she.

OK, as if you don't know, but whatever....

Our Government is an EU member, EU support us as they have already during Brexit negotiations so far.

There may be a price to be paid which involves supporting these migrants. Well Merkel started it off didn't she.

That does not add up to being in hock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

I wonder if the Oughterard towns people would be just as rejecting if their council told them that they were going to build to move 250 Dublin people to their area?. I personally think the Oughterard people would be just as up in arms about that scenario just as much. Even Galway itself treats Dublin people terribly, and always did, especially spiddal Co. Galway. I sense Karma has come to town.

Congratulations on the most stupid post of the week on boards.

Serious question.

How can we stop these bogus asylum seekers from coming here?

That does not add up to being in hock.

As you hopefully well know, our orders come from EU via UN regarding migrants to be fair. They are vetted and supported. All good. Mostly Syrian because there was a dreadful war there.

It is those outside of UN vetting are the issue now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They are Wibbs, we will always have warzones because not everyone is forced, but try talking to some of the young men fleeing Syria, Afghanistan, Eritrea, sub Saharan Africa,and they'll tell you they weren't prepared to kill and die for some tinpot dictatorship or militia. And to just write them off is lazy.
    Actually I know a few lads from Afghanistan and they've been here since the late 90's, all working, a couple with good qualifications too and they will tell you that the more recent lot are just chancing their arms. They know some of these guys and far from the Taliban hills they're from. Many are Pakistani from just across the border claiming Afghani status. Refugees from Syria I would have no issue with, but again priority should be very weighted towards families. Sub Saharan Africa is a broad stroke indeed and many are economic migrants, not refugees and should be treated as such and let in or thrown out if they're not bringing some useful skills to the table.
    Help those in need, that's how it should be. If someone is in need on your doorstep you don't say, hm, what's it worth to me.l. and I'll never apologise for that.
    Neither would I, however if someone shows up to my doorstep by paid for taxi looking to come in and doss under my roof I'll happily tell them to eff off back in the taxi from whence you came.
    And it doesn't have to end in ghettos and unrest. I spend a lot of time in Austria which was one of the main routes for refugees back in 2015, and there are no no-go zones or ghettos there nowadays. The biggest problem has been a rise in the far right based off of fear mongering but while crime did rise in 2015 it's now down to it's lowest level since the 90s. Saying wewont make it work is perhaps realistic but perhaps just lazy, and again we don't leave some one suffering on our doorstep because we think the HSE will **** it up later
    It's not realistic. Again look at our European neighbours that have been running this social experiment for decades. Austria crime dropped right down between 2012 and 14 and started to rise and while lower than the 90's are continuing to do so. And that's a good example to look at. Never mind yep the rise of the far Right. Like I said I have no issue with saying racism from the locals(which tends to then be replied to by the non locals, understandably enough) is a major factor in the social ills that come from multiculturalism. Human nature again. It doesn't take well to the outsider and goes from a tacit acceptance overall to outright aggression at times. Again we've seen this everywhere the multiculturalism experiment has been run.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

As you hopefully well know, our orders come from EU via UN regarding migrants to be fair. They are vetted and supported. All good. Mostly Syrian because there was a dreadful war there.

It is those outside of UN vetting are the issue now.

The numbers are very small compared to EU nationals like British, Poles and Lithuanians. Hundreds of thousand of those people. Do you want them stopped as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Ireland should follow GB's lead and GTFO of the EU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wonder if the Oughterard towns people would be just as rejecting if their council told them that they were going to build to move 250 Dublin people to their area?

250 Dubs who speak at best a weird variation of the language, have no desire to integrate, have little work experience or skill would not get a warm welcome many places outside the pale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

B) if they are economic migrants from some peaceful safe then yeah send them back (not every non warzone is safe btw). But you don't get to judge people and make wholesale write-offs based off some lazy analysis.

Not too many warzone's there and never really has been in the Irish asylum stats

image.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Serious question.

How can we stop these bogus asylum seekers from coming here?

Simple. Instead of have idiots ''rescuing'' them from the middle of the ocean, leave them there. The fake refugees will learn their lesson very quickly.

Ireland should follow GB's lead and GTFO of the EU

NI is supposed to be leaving as well. No border in the Irish Sea please.

The numbers are very small compared to EU nationals like British, Poles and Lithuanians. Hundreds of thousand of those people. Do you want them stopped as well?

That is part of the Free movement amongst EU members surely?

What right have non EU to arrive on our shores/airports without a visa? Unless vetted by UN?

That is part of the Free movement amongst EU members surely?

What right have non EU to arrive on our shores/airports without a visa? Unless vetted by UN?

If they are economic migrants rather than refugees or asylum seekers, they might make a better go of things than some of the EU arrivals. That is generally the history of emigration/immigration, including the Irish.

250 Dubs who speak at best a weird variation of the language, have no desire to integrate, have little work experience or skill would not get a warm welcome many places outside the pale.

Have you matured your moonshine up on the mountain there? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Each village / town / city / county & country has a balanced mix of people. The smaller the size, the better the balance and the more prone to being affect by change.

Putting 250 people into a small town is a disaster waiting to happen. Putting 10-15 would still be a lot at any one time in a small town. 250 people is like driving a truck at 100mph(and not a milk cart at 4mph!!) through a 2D pyramid of empty boxes placed in the middle of the road. A total cluster ***k waiting to happen.

Grealish is the 2nd item on the 9pm news. The Liberals have their pitchforks out

edit - it includes a report from Wicklow and the direct provision centre there. One of the residents is a white South African asylum seeker...you couldn't make it up!

jay0109 wrote: »
    Grealish is the 2nd item on the 9pm news. The Liberals have their pitchforks out

I am betting that he is supported 100%. despite what the right on media think now.

Elections will tell all. That is anonymous. Wait and see, I think he played a blinder.

No point in being an elected rep for your area if you don't represent them.

I am betting that he is supported 100%. despite what the right on media think now.

Elections will tell all. That is anonymous. Wait and see, I think he played a blinder.

This might be an early move to be the next President.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yeah he's pretty much sealed re election with this. It's not even that contraversial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Just watching the rte news. Just wondering how many takes it took to get all the locals in wicklow welcoming it with open arms. Good old rte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Why do people persist in saying this type of stuff over and over again, even if it doesn't correspond with reality?

Prime Time covered the story last night and gave more airtime to the local residents than to the Fine Gael politician on the other side of the story. Their views weren't silenced in any way and they haven't been silenced in the media since the story became news. Let's get a few things straight to begin with anyway.

There are many Dublin accents you will find if you actually visited different area's of Dublin and also County Dublin. Strange post you forwarded.

We here in Ireland have almost every nationality in the world living here on this small island now, it's good to have many different culture's I find. My main problem is with the government and the fact that once a migrant lands foot on Irish soil they can very rarely if ever be sent back to their homeland against their will. Once here they will be 'forever' here whether in direct provision or eventually housed.

The government and justice system are far too weak to deal with any of this and as such we are very open to exploitation from illegal migrants coming here pretending to be true refugees, as in burning their passports before entering this land. It will never change unless the powers that be put the foot down and stop hiding behind their government chairs afraid to deal with it.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭Homelander

Galway Bay fm were decent enough to put that he had good support on social media and from some other rural TDs in their last report alongside all the calling for his resignation and all that. Most places just keep peddling the outrage narrative. I think the controversy just isn't there for most people (not saying all) and this really won't do Noel Grealish any harm at all.

Why do people persist in saying this type of stuff over and over again, even if it doesn't correspond with reality?

Prime Time covered the story last night and gave more airtime to the local residents than to the Fine Gael politician on the other side of the story. Their views weren't silenced in any way and they haven't been silenced in the media since the story became news. Let's get a few things straight to begin with anyway.
    You didn't hear The Last Word or Drivetime this evening so?
    I can't speak for the Sean O'Rourke show this morning but I'd hazard a guess it follows the same agenda

I see the Journal comments section is closed on the Grealish article.

What an absolute lefty liberal propaganda piece of shít "news" source it is.

The editors are nothing if not predictable working there anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0913/1075709-grealish-meeting/

RTE article awash with calls from TDs and Leo himself for Grealish to apologise for his comments.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/video-td-noel-grealish-claims-some-asylum-seekers-come-to-ireland-to-sponge-off-the-system-38494752.html

Article in the indo with aforementioned criticism from Leo et al along with calls for an apology and to resign as a TD from an anti racism charity and a PBP TD.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/taoiseach-urges-independent-td-noel-grealish-to-clarify-remarks-about-immigrants-950650.html

Broadly more of the same in the Examiner although there is small mention of two TDs who refuse to criticise him.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/varadkar-calls-for-grealish-statement-over-african-sponger-comments-1.4017026

More of the same in the Times.

No balance to this conversation at all. It is all just vilification of the man, and the best one can find in terms of a voice from the other side is Michael Collins and Mattie McGrath who didn't even back him up, just refused to condemn him. I stand by my earlier post.

Funny you mention that. Last year in my rural home town (far from Dublin) a rumour was going round that one of the Dublin councils had bought an empty block of apartments in it.

Locals were none too impressed. :pac:

There are many Dublin accents you will find if you actually visited different area's of Dublin and also County Dublin. Strange post you forwarded.

We here in Ireland have almost every nationality in the world living here on this small island now, it's good to have many different culture's I find. My main problem is with the government and the fact that once a migrant lands foot on Irish soil they can very rarely if ever be sent back to their homeland against their will. Once here they will be 'forever' here whether in direct provision or eventually housed.

The government and justice system are far too weak to deal with any of this and as such we are very open to exploitation from illegal migrants coming here pretending to be true refugees, as in burning their passports before entering this land. It will never change unless the powers that be put the foot down and stop hiding behind their government chairs afraid to deal with it.

The graphic in Post # 122 shows a very high rejection rate, including almost 100% of Albanians and Georgians. Where are you getting your information from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Just watching the rte news. Just wondering how many takes it took to get all the locals in wicklow welcoming it with open arms. Good old rte.

That whole segment was irrelevant manipulation. Grealish said and is trouble for saying "come here to sponge" so it stands to reason that a journalistic follow-up should attempt to determine whether that specific statement itself was true or false. Not once was the relevant point asked of anyone: "do you have any plan to support yourself without social welfare?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I see the Journal comments section is closed on the Grealish article.

What an absolute lefty liberal propaganda piece of shít "news" source it is.

The editors are nothing if not predictable working there anyways.

I never really read into this whole migrant issue before but I don’t think it’s right to shut down comments on a pretty valid debate ? If there are any outright racist comments they why can’t they just delete them ?

The graphic in Post # 122 shows a very high rejection rate, including almost 100% of Albanians and Georgians. Where are you getting your information from?

Rejection rates do not equate to deportation rates!
    Have you seen our deportation rates?

Hal3000 wrote: »
    I never really read into this whole migrant issue before but I don’t think it’s right to shut down comments on a pretty valid debate ? If there are any outright racist comments they why can’t they just delete them ?

There are hundreds of thousands of internet moderators, who are struggling to keep the vile stuff away from our eyes. They might not be able to afford extra staff to monitor something which is very busy. Easier to just shut it down, and avoid possible lawsuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Grealish isn't going to resign, he's not some Johnny come lately that's going to give into outside pressure. He's cute enough to say some sympathetic words for asylum seekers and that locals need to be consulted, nothing controversial about that. Maybe suggest a much smaller, manageable amount.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not too many warzone's there and never really has been in the Irish asylum stats

image.png

Perhaps you noticed the brackets in that quote?

Rejection rates do not equate to deportation rates!
    Have you seen our deportation rates?

I had to look it up and it's hard to find links. Most of the stories are about the Irishman facing deportation from the USA. Anyway these figures are from the Irish Times a year ago, and the striking feature is how many people chose to go voluntarily. This disproves the statement made by the other poster, who claimed nobody ever leaves once they come here.

A total of 9,197 deportation orders have been made since 2011 while only one in five of those who received these orders – 1,857 people – have been deported from Ireland.

Some 5,504 people facing deportation have been granted permission to remain following a re-examination of their case since 2011. Another 2,245 returned home voluntarily. So far this year, 174 people facing deportation have chosen to leave voluntarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

It was like watching a retraining session for those that don’t subscribe to the Noel Grealish is a racist thought process, so much for balanced impartial news reporting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,174 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I wouldn't accept 250 of any nationality in one go....its a stupid idea

Continuous rejections from day one up to 15 years. They will be still here in those long 15 years dx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 CelticSeaShip

A village with a population of circa 1300, a suggestion to place 250 asylum amongst the community? Piss poor idea tbh.

I did some sums here and 250 of 1300 is nearly 20%. Its 19.23% percent to be precise. Adding nearly 20% of the current population of the village is far too much. Its madness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement