Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What games have you been playing lately?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,292 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started back into Portal Stories Mel last night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

singularity

serious vibe of several different games off this, getting a very strong wolfenstein NWO + dead space vibe off it mostly. it's not that great at all but it's definitely engaging. some of the checkpoint decisions are very questionable though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

First time playing Deus Ex Human revolution for the first time.

Interesting the way everything you do or don't do has consequences. Found out the hard way. I was swaning around HQ while hostages were getting murdered else where. All the AI characters were giving me stick for my lack of time keeping when I showed up to find them all dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

strelok wrote: »
    singularity

serious vibe of several different games off this, getting a very strong wolfenstein NWO + dead space vibe off it mostly. it's not that great at all but it's definitely engaging. some of the checkpoint decisions are very questionable though

well, finished it. by the end i was just rushing through as I knew i was near the end and didn't want to be thinking about it tomorrow.

overall the game kind of annoyed me. it was very good but it came so close to being brilliant in so many ways and it just collapsed into ... blandness every time. it was so easy too. i played on hardest and the combat was a joke. even without using any of the time powers (which, tbh.. weren't all that great to use) there was no challenge once you were 1/4-1/5th into the game and had picked up the assault rifle and shotgun.

the upgrade system was also pretty useless, seems like it was just thrown in because some of the games it copied also had upgrade systems.

im kinda pissy about it now but overall i'd recommend it. worth 20 quid for sure, it won't challenge you but you'll have a bit of craic

oh, flawless widescreen is a must to fix the fov. the console fov it has by default is horrendous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Been putting alot of time in on mad max but just for a change of pace jumped into Saints Row Gat out of Hell last night. Didn't do alot but it seems fun and the idea of it being set in hell is novel with the different enemies etc... that it throws up. Having said that I don't think people who didn't like 3&4 would like it as its basically saints row 4 in hell but if you liked that then it's worth the tenner on sale at the minute which is why I picked it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Just been all out MGSV lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Metal Gear Solid V, exclusively, since release. Over 100 hours logged in and only 52% done! This game is massive. The only game that can pull me away now will be FIFA when it comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Company of Heroes 2 (British Forces) co-op - great stuff altogether
    Mad Max - souping up the magnum opus :)
    Diablo 3 season 4 - rolled a DH and Barb, ridiculously overpowered on the barb already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

XCOM EW. I want to get it finished before XCOM 2 arrives. Really enjoying it!

Trying my best to ignore MGSV. It just looks so damn good.
    It sure is tempting.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

XCOM EW. I want to get it finished before XCOM 2 arrives. Really enjoying it!

Trying my best to ignore MGSV. It just looks so damn good.
    It sure is tempting.......

You've loads of time, February it's being released, it got delayed there a while back :) What difficulty are you playing on?

You've loads of time, February it's being released, it got delayed there a while back :) What difficulty are you playing on?

I don't mind the delay. Let them fine tune it :)

I'm keeping it on Normal - trying to get through the story as quick as possible so that I'm finished with plenty of time to spare before XCOM 2.

There just aren't enough hours in the day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Never played it when it first came out but I picked up Endless Space a couple of weeks ago but this weekend I really suffered from the 4X curse of "just one more turn".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I'm playing Far Cry Blood Dragon, only completed one mission but seems like good, cheesy fun. About half way through Lego: Marvel Superheroes, co-op campaign with my wife - also good, cheesy fun! Really enjoy those Lego games.

Speaking of X-Com, I finally caved and bought the DLC. It was bugging me for ages that the Complete Pack was more expensive than just Enemy Within on it's own, and that I'd have to pretty much buy the game all over again to get the DLC at a bigger discount. It was made worse that I didn't get a spare copy of X Com I could've given to someone either, I'm sure someone around here would've really appreciated it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

MGS or Thief 5 Ultimate Cargo Edition as i call it.

• Advertisement

Metal Gear Solid V, exclusively, since release. Over 100 hours logged in and only 52% done! This game is massive. The only game that can pull me away now will be FIFA when it comes out.

Is anyone else put off by this? I like short and sweet games personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Mostly been Mad Max the last couple of weeks. Gets a bit repetitive after an hour or two or playing but i keep coming back for more.

Also been fitting in Valkyria Chronicles every now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭Glebee

Assassins Creed: Black Flag. Decent game, way better than the previous one set in Colonial America..

Is anyone else put off by this? I like short and sweet games personally.

I wasn't put off myself, but I can certainly understand why some people might be, it's an open world game with a lot of side missions and other things to do outside of the main story missions. A lot. I suppose it depends on what you want to put into it, you could just focus on the main missions, but if you prefer shorter, I can get that too. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Rocket League
    I'm not great at it and MP seems to lag for me a lot of the time but it is super addictive even in SP mode
    Looking forward to the Linux port

Shadowrun Returns
    Love the setting as a futuristic fantasy RPG. It's early days in my campaign but enjoying it so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mad Max - Finished the main story, and I've still a couple of areas to get down to 0 threat, but I'm more or less done with it. It was a fairly good game - worth the 16 I paid, certainly not the 75 GameStop were looking for - as previous people said, it can be repetitive, but it just captures the atmosphere perfectly.

Metal Gear Solid V - Just started this. Finished the prologue and just after getting dropped off to do my first mission. Can't really comment on much so far, but the graphics are stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The thing about open world games is that they need to keep things fresh & interesting and not monotonous throughout the entire game. Perfect Example - Witcher 3. Not so good example - Skyrim.

Don't get me wrong, I think Skyrim is a fantastic game in it's own way. But since I first bought a launch in 2011, I still haven't completed it.

I get urges to play in bursts and then I lose interest because everything just.... feels the same whatever you do in the game and then the cycle continues. Probably one of the only hooks that keeps reeling me back into playing it is modding.

Witcher 3 at least make's nearly everything relevant and interesting, even down to re-fighting monsters with Contracts by giving them their own backstory, name and interesting cut scenes/conversations with people or others that you interact with, and I'm absolutely loving it at the moment without getting bored at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Cravez wrote: »
    The thing about open world games is that they need to keep things fresh & interesting and not monotonous throughout the entire game. Perfect Example - Witcher 3. Not so good example - Skyrim.

Disagree there, both are perfect examples of open world gaming for different reasons. Both very different but have an empty world at the end.

W3 has a narrative which will affect the world and eventually end it as you know it. You know this from the start.

Skyrim has a story running alongside your adventure.

Both leave you in empty world after the main story is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Started playing Bulletstorm, it's pretty good, kinda reminds me of Gears of War.
    I'm also a bit into Hitman: Absolution but I stopped playing as it didn't really suck me in. I will get back into it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Turned on Kerbal Space program last night. Didn't stop playing til four this morning. Blowing up rockets in new and exciting ways is very addictive.

Still stuck to Heroes of the Storm and the odd bit of Elite: Dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

So much Witcher 3.

I may have stayed up until 4am last night.:o

I then proceeded to have weird nightmares.

I'm nearly finished now, probably, although I thought that about 10 hours ago.

I don't think I've ever played a single-player game before that legitimately has 80+ hours of gameplay.
    No grinding, no emergent stuff to make up for a lack of content.

It's all scripted, it's all fun, missions don't really blur into each other (granted some of the monster fights are similar, but there's such a variety that you're seldom fighting the same types of enemies in back to back quests).

The only obvious issue I've had with it is the wonky approach to leveling.
    I can't help but think that at least some quests should be unlocked at a certain level, but after that they should match your own level so they don't become a bit pointless.
    I feel a need for there to be a few more skill slots as well.
    I'm level 34 and I've 5 skill points sitting around doing nothing.

It's not that big a deal, because side-quests can just be ignored.
    You don't need all the money, the experience or the loot. Sure I've 2/3 of the bomb and potion recipes and only regularly use about 6 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Damn. :(

I have these games on my list to play but no time/will to play them:

Witcher 3
    Pillars of Eternity
    GTA V
    Elite: Dangerous
    Skyrim

Damn you League of Legends and work! Damn you to hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Went back to FTL this weekend. Had one unbelieavable Kestrel ship. Four levels of shields, enemy was doing no damage to me as long as I kept their weapons offline so they couldn't fire missiles. Was just waiting, patiently, for the FTL drive to charge. In a Nebula though so sensors were down. When I finally jumped to the next sector I saw there had been a hull breach and oxygen generation was offline. A mad dash of all the crew to the oxygen room for emergency repairs was too little too late. The crew died aboard the strongest ship I ever had from nothing other than sheer overconfidence and lack of attention on my part. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Turned on Kerbal Space program last night. Didn't stop playing til four this morning. Blowing up rockets in new and exciting ways is very addictive.

Still stuck to Heroes of the Storm and the odd bit of Elite: Dangerous

I've been meaning to give it a go. As I understand it there are two modes, like in Minecraft - the creative mode where you just build and build, and the story mode, where you have to work your way up to different parts/budgets.

Which is better? I get bored of creative in Minecraft super quick without having to fight for what I need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Zillah wrote: »
    I've been meaning to give it a go. As I understand it there are two modes, like in Minecraft - the creative mode where you just build and build, and the story mode, where you have to work your way up to different parts/budgets.

Which is better? I get bored of creative in Minecraft super quick without having to fight for what I need!

There's 3 I think, Career, Science & Sandbox. I'm playing Career at the moment and I think it's great. Haven't looked at the other modes yet cause there's just so much to do in career mode. Anyone interested in the career mode should look at Scott Manley on YouTube, he has some great tutorials in how to get the most out of the game. Can honestly say I went back and started career mode again after finding his channel. In work so can't throw up a link!

• Advertisement

Tutorials then Career mode in KSP. Sandbox mode, while the most fun, has far too many tools available to you at first. You need to start with the bare basics until you're familiar with what's what; less combinations available to you for fails and explosions. :)

Anyone interested in the career mode should look at Scott Manley on YouTube, he has some great tutorials in how to get the most out of the game.

I stumbled on his videos over the weekend. I watched them for 3 hours. Now I really want the game!!

Can I expect any price reductions in the near future?
    Steam sale seems so far away!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

I stumbled on his videos over the weekend. I watched them for 3 hours. Now I really want the game!!

Can I expect any price reductions in the near future?
    Steam sale seems so far away!

:D

He's got one of those voices that you can just listen to for ages! I tend to get stuck in a loop watching his videos!

It was on sale there again recently, only about a month after the sale finished, so you'd never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

You can usually pick it up for €10-14 from sales or g2a. Career mode is the only way to go. Starts basic, from reaching altitudes of 70,000 and progresses on to you landing rovers on other planets and mining asteroids :)

I've 60+ hours and I've never accomplished the latter :o

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

I like Sandbox mode for pure Tomfoolery and seeing if my ideas will work or not. Usually the latter :rolleyes: Also if you want to see what can be accomplished in Sandbox mode go to either Hangar and select Load there should be some prebuilt rockets and planes there to have some fun with.

I have yet to try career mode as I get sucked into seeing what works in sandbox:D

I had a competition with a friend to see who could get to the moon first. I won on a stipulation of how it was worded. I crashed into the moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Just finished Mad Max. It's a long time since I bothered to finish a single player game, really enjoyed it.

I forgot how amazing (and time absorbing) FTL was. Highlight for the night would have to be run where I got a super awesome laser in the second beacon I visited. At the third I sold the default burst laser to add shields. At the fifth I got hacked and had only half shields, a single shot laser and some missiles against a two level shielded craft with a fcking anti missile drone!
    It was an epic space battle! Bastards wouldn't let me power up the FTL for ages. Fires kept breaking out everywhere! One crew member died restoring oxygen. My last missile, my last one knocked out their shields for just long enough for me to damage them enough for a surrender which I accepted because if they restored shields I was fcked! Hull was critical, Doors, pilots, oxygen, engines, shields, all offline. Afterwards, every time I visited a store from it was for repairs. :o Made it to fourth sector until my inability to spend on upgrades caught up with me. Still after the epic early encounter that felt like a real achievement. :)

Turtwig wrote: »
    I forgot how amazing (and time absorbing) FTL was. Highlight for the night would have to be run where I got a super awesome laser in the second beacon I visited. At the third I sold the default burst laser to add shields. At the fifth I got hacked and had only half shields, a single shot laser and some missiles against a two level shielded craft with a fcking anti missile drone!
    It was an epic space battle! Bastards wouldn't let me power up the FTL for ages. Fires kept breaking out everywhere! One crew member died restoring oxygen. My last missile, my last one knocked out their shields for just long enough for me to damage them enough for a surrender which I accepted because if they restored shields I was fcked! Hull was critical, Doors, pilots, oxygen, engines, shields, all offline. Afterwards, every time I visited a store from it was for repairs. :o Made it to fourth sector until my inability to spend on upgrades caught up with me. Still after the epic early encounter that felt like a real achievement. :)

I do love FTL, but their insistence on no save system annoyed me. I got to the point where I just wanted to see what the ending was like and then I was done, so I found where the save is located and made my own copy before the game closed down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Finished The Witcher 3.

If you haven't had a go, slap yourself and get on it.

I'm struggling to think of a game I've rated more highly.

I do love FTL, but their insistence on no save system annoyed me. I got to the point where I just wanted to see what the ending was like and then I was done, so I found where the save is located and made my own copy before the game closed down.

Players should have the freedom to enjoy games as they wish. After all, they bought the thing. Sure by all means have a default mode that the designers feel is the way their game should be played but have it optional. Sometimes there's more fun ways to play a game than the designers intended. Moreover, what the player regards as having a good time is what it's all about and that's actually a very subjective thing.

If FTL has one flaw it's the final boss sequence. In so far as I've been able to determine there's only a few effective strategies against it. Which means that it's not a good idea to play the entire FTL adventure with the intention of building certain types of shipsl. A shame really, because most of the fun in FTL comes with experimentation that actually lends more excitement to the nature of the random encounters. Unfortunately, the endgame consistency ensures that certain type of ships will be more advantageous than others. Considering how tough the final confrontation is that's a huge oversight imo. I often feel the game would be better without a final boss -or if this boss's attributes were randomised. FTL is about the journey more than anything else. In many way the inability to save, undo errors, the random elements of luck and doing your best to adapt to the situations presented make it a truly exceptional experience. Every journey to the endgame is different and so far I've enjoyed the game more the occasions that my journeys ended in failure than the times I've quashed the rebellion. "Try again. Fail again. Fail Better."
    That's FTL to me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just finished up with Assassins Creed: Black Flag and I must say I really enjoyed it once it got going. Now back to The Witcher 3, i have a bit to replay until I get back to the save point I lost..

Finished up the main story in MGSV. I sincerely hope there's some DLC with some more story content coming...

Turtwig wrote: »
    Players should have the freedom to enjoy games as they wish. After all, they bought the thing. Sure by all means have a default mode that the designers feel is the way their game should be played but have it optional. Sometimes there's more fun ways to play a game than the designers intended. Moreover, what the player regards as having a good time is what it's all about and that's actually a very subjective thing.

If FTL has one flaw it's the final boss sequence. In so far as I've been able to determine there's only a few effective strategies against it. Which means that it's not a good idea to play the entire FTL adventure with the intention of building certain types of shipsl. A shame really, because most of the fun in FTL comes with experimentation that actually lends more excitement to the nature of the random encounters. Unfortunately, the endgame consistency ensures that certain type of ships will be more advantageous than others. Considering how tough the final confrontation is that's a huge oversight imo. I often feel the game would be better without a final boss -or if this boss's attributes were randomised. FTL is about the journey more than anything else. In many way the inability to save, undo errors, the random elements of luck and doing your best to adapt to the situations presented make it a truly exceptional experience. Every journey to the endgame is different and so far I've enjoyed the game more the occasions that my journeys ended in failure than the times I've quashed the rebellion. "Try again. Fail again. Fail Better."
    That's FTL to me. :)

What I found especially aggravating is that I played a game with a bunch of biobeams (I think that's what they're called) to wipe out the crew, and when I did it
    with the final boss, an AI failsafe takes over the ship and is more powerful than the mothership would ever have been otherwise. Pretty sure it repaired a bunch of damage or something especially egregious like that.
    . Which is basically a massive, unnecessary slap in the face for the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Links234 wrote: »
    Finished up the main story in MGSV. I sincerely hope there's some DLC with some more story content coming...

They officially confirmed that there's no story related DLC.

I've been playing Legend of Grimrock still. Comfy game.

• Advertisement

What I found especially aggravating is that I played a game with a bunch of biobeams (I think that's what they're called) to wipe out the crew, and when I did it
    with the final boss, an AI failsafe takes over the ship and is more powerful than the mothership would ever have been otherwise. Pretty sure it repaired a bunch of damage or something especially egregious like that.
    . Which is basically a massive, unnecessary slap in the face for the player.

I agree, there's entire strategies that become redundant against the final boss. But I think that's brilliant. Why should every game have such neat balances? Part of the FTL experience is making plans and then watching on in horror as those plans go utterly astray due to unforeseen circumstances. Stuff like that happened in real wars all the time. It's not too far fetched to believe if you were a ship captain that something like that could happen to you. It makes the experience more immersive imo. I remember being
    pissed that my exhaustive efforts to build a Mantis away team were rendered completely inert. That said, you can still do damage. It's a much easier fight without the crew. Kind of parallels with those automated scout ships you meet. They can repair their systems too somehow but they're much slower than a crew to do it.

The drawback I have with the boss is that you know exactly what you're going to face. I'd love it if sometimes there wasn't even a boss. Or there were several variants.

They officially confirmed that there's no story related DLC.

:(

Now that I'm finished with the main story of MGSV, I've only been doing a few side OPs, so haven't been giving that as much time. Booted up The Red Solstice tonight, which I bought last week but was still worried that I wouldn't get around to playing it any time soon and it'd just be added to the backlog, but I've gone and proved myself wrong there. Just cleared the first mission, and it's fun so far. I do love the sci-fi setting and the tactical top-down squad based gameplay, looking forward to getting to grips with it, and the multiplayer is meant to be great.

I was also seriously tickled that the marine you control in the singleplayer campaign is named Tyler Hunt (a reference to characters Sam Tyler and Gene Hunt from the show Life on Mars) and it's set on mars. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Eve online... God, it happened. I was afraid that it will be the only game I will be playing and ignore all other games. Finally left High sec, joined Low sec Faction warfare corporation and pretty much all my free time outside of misses and work goes in to eve.

Resident evil Revalations 2 - Playing it in bed, before I pass out. Raid mode is still addictive and I cant believe I am playing that much of it. Usually games only catch my attention for 2 hours and then I get bored and move on to something else. Unless thats EVE...

I accidentally clicked on Mark of the Ninja, which I haven't touched since I got it last Christmas (oops!), so I've been playing that for a bit today, along with MGSV. I guess it's stealthy action all round. ;)

Must get back on The Red Solstice though

• Advertisement
Advertisement