Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Dubinusa wrote: »
    What about Dalton? Has he improved? Should he get a senior contract? I suppose Regan would be in the same boat, but I think he may have lost a season to injury?
    Angus Kernohan is not getting into the squad, he is only 20 and I think he will be a star in the future. He might be a candidate to loan out?

Dalton doesn't look any better to me this year. In fact I remember thinking oh dear. Saw him in the A games.

AK rarely lets the team down. Definitely worth his spot in the squad especially given his age.

Is McIlroy now academy as opposed to sub academy? Hope so. Quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Ludik and Addison available for this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Ludik and Addison available for this weekend.

Great news. Addison especially is real quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Great news. Addison especially is real quality

agree...Addison will make a huge difference if he comes in at 15.

If he comes in at 13 then Ludik goes to 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭launish116

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    agree...Addison will make a huge difference if he comes in at 15.

If he comes in at 13 then Ludik goes to 15.

Some serious decisions ahead.

Marshall dropped for Addison? or Addison at 15 Attack+++ v Ludik at 15 Defence+++

Is Burns injured? missed the last two games and a reluctance to bring Johnston on against Munster.

Also been thinking do we see Henderson/Carter or Henderson/Treadwell starting? Am I right in thinking Henderson/Carter have never played together. In fairness to Carter he has impressed me.

• Advertisement

I'd have Addison at 15 and Marshall at 13.

LL is solid enough but that's about it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Drop Marshall??? Not a fecking chance

9 Cooney
    10 Burns
    11 Stockdale
    12 McCloskey
    13 Marshall
    14 Gilroy
    15 Addison

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

bilston wrote: »
    Drop Marshall??? Not a fecking chance

9 Cooney
    10 Burns
    11 Stockdale
    12 McCloskey
    13 Marshall
    14 Gilroy
    15 Addison

That's how I'd go too - albeit if Baloucoune had had more minutes under his belt and was still in the same form as last season, I'd think hard about him over Gilroy.

I'd have Little in there. He's been electric any time he's been on this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ulster joining Munster in signing young players from south Africa
    Chris Poole, a hooker.
    Adrian slabbert on Twitter had list of all going abroad, mainly France

• Advertisement

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    I'd have Little in there. He's been electric any time he's been on this season.

Yeah, on form he should be ahead of Stockdale, but it would be a very brave call to leave Jacob out.

launish116 wrote: »
    Also been thinking do we see Henderson/Carter or Henderson/Treadwell starting? Am I right in thinking Henderson/Carter have never played together. In fairness to Carter he has impressed me.

The front row picks itself with McGrath, Herring and Moore.

Henderson's second row partner is interesting. I'd go with Carter. He is impressive at the lineout and makes some really hard yards. That said Treadwell is coming on really well, but imagine having Treadwell, O'Toole and McBurney coming off the bench. That's three young players, but three young players that can make an an impact.

Obviously Coetzee and Murphy start. No.6 is close. You could make a case for Timoney, Reidy and Rea. I'd go Rea, great lineout option, quick and probably the best ball carrier of the three. Reidy on the bench and Timoney the unlucky one to miss out altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭launish116

The front row picks itself with McGrath, Herring and Moore.

Henderson's second row partner is interesting. I'd go with Carter. He is impressive at the lineout and makes some really hard yards. That said Treadwell is coming on really well, but imagine having Treadwell, O'Toole and McBurney coming off the bench. That's three young players, but three young players that can make an an impact.

Obviously Coetzee and Murphy start. No.6 is close. You could make a case for Timoney, Reidy and Rea. I'd go Rea, great lineout option, quick and probably the best ball carrier of the three. Reidy on the bench and Timoney the unlucky one to miss out altogether

I’d be in agreement Henderson/Carter partnership would give the scrum some serious Ballas and free Henderson up more. Then I’m thinking would Dan keep Carter on the bench to come on an help support O’Toole in the scrum.

No.6 same thoughts with both Rea and Reidy being very good, but offer different things. I think Ulster need to get an early lead and hold it, Reidy coming on to tackle everything suits that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Ulster joining Munster in signing young players from south Africa
    Chris Poole, a hooker.
    Adrian slabbert on Twitter had list of all going abroad, mainly France

That's..a little odd? We have McBurney (although not exactly tearing up trees) and Stewart in the academy who was one of our stand out performers in the Celtic Cup. Makes much more sense if he has Irish heritage, in which case I'm all for taking a punt on him if he's better than what we have in schoolboy rugby atm. I'm only half joking, but I wish there was a second row or two which an Irish parent knocking about down there instead.

That's..a little odd? We have McBurney (although not exactly tearing up trees) and Stewart in the academy who was one of our stand out performers in the Celtic Cup. Makes much more sense if he has Irish heritage, in which case I'm all for taking a punt on him if he's better than what we have in schoolboy rugby atm. I'm only half joking, but I wish there was a second row or two which an Irish parent knocking about down there instead.

I thought McBurney was excellent when he came on against Munster. I think he has huge potential. I'm not sure why he doesn't get more game time. Maybe it's the short fuse.

I thought McBurney was excellent when he came on against Munster. I think he has huge potential. I'm not sure why he doesn't get more game time. Maybe it's the short fuse.
    I've seen that thrown around a lot, but there's nothing concrete to go on. Does seem to give away a lot of needless penalties though. I'd back him to overtake John Andrew this year as second choice.

Anyway, had a quick google and Chris Poole is the captain of St Andrews who are aren't usually at the very top end of South African schoolboy rugby, but they'd probably beat most of the teams in Ireland year on year. Two games up on youtube, and a brief flick through suggests he isn't exactly a prodigious talent being lured away, but seems an ok player with room to grow, and I'd probably have him behind Tom Stewart. It'll cause a stink with parts of the fanbase I'm sure, but hopefully he can have a good career with us and I'll cheer him on like I would any local lad. Except maybe Rob Lyttle.

Hey. Don't belyttle our Rob.

Also, it looks to me like there's a definite focus on recruiting leaders and captains. Wonder if that's part of it.

I've seen that thrown around a lot, but there's nothing concrete to go on. Does seem to give away a lot of needless penalties though. I'd back him to overtake John Andrew this year as second choice.

Anyway, had a quick google and Chris Poole is the captain of St Andrews who are aren't usually at the very top end of South African schoolboy rugby, but they'd probably beat most of the teams in Ireland year on year. Two games up on youtube, and a brief flick through suggests he isn't exactly a prodigious talent being lured away, but seems an ok player with room to grow, and I'd probably have him behind Tom Stewart. It'll cause a stink with parts of the fanbase I'm sure, but hopefully he can have a good career with us and I'll cheer him on like I would any local lad. Except maybe Rob Lyttle.

McBurney wins turnovers, carries well, hits his jumpers. I don't get the negativity...apart from the discipline side of things of course.

What's Rob Lyttle done?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He managed to pick up a yellow card in each of the South African games, and a yellow for the A team a couple weeks prior. And of course there's the story of him scrapping with Johnny Sexton in an Irish training camp too.

I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be but he definitely has a bit of a hot head and at the moment is a bit of a liability discipline wise. But if he can reign in the penalty count it could end up being an asset to have a player as fired up as he gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Thought McBurney was better than Herring this past week. His darts were better. He's great around the park and I think has good leadership qualities. I think he's going to be starting in the future.

McBurney wins turnovers, carries well, hits his jumpers. I don't get the negativity...apart from the discipline side of things of course.

What's Rob Lyttle done?

Yea I like McBurney, but he hasn’t been getting game time is all I really meant my it. Not being negative. And I meant I wouldn’t cheer for the lad as much as I would for Rob Lyttle. Love watching him play - tiny, but always shrugs his way out of contact and he’s just such a balanced runner. Worded it badly.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Thought McBurney was better than Herring this past week. His darts were better. He's great around the park and I think has good leadership qualities. I think he's going to be starting in the future.

Lineout throwing is going to be really key for us. The cheetahs stoke our ball at will, and I fear any other team with a decent pair of jumpers will too. I think any coach doing a little match prep for Europe will see it as an area to really target.

Meesa tinks Hendo-son give big powerball and has leader of da Ulstar peepols.

Meesa tinks Hendo-son give big powerball and has leader of da Ulstar peepols.

Go home, Venjur, you're drunk.

Go home, Venjur, you're drunk.

NBdpSe4p_400x400.jpg

I'm not sure is Venjur saying Hendy looks like Jar Jar Binks?!

I'm not sure is Venjur saying Hendy looks like Jar Jar Binks?!

High as a kite. Bilston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

You'd say, "boom de gasa"... den crashded da boss's heyblibber... den banished

Advertisement