Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Clermont:

15. Nick Abendanon, 14. Damian Penaud, 13. Isaiah Toeava, 12. George Moala, 11. Alivereti Raka, 10. Camille Lopez, 9. Morgan Parra (c), 1. Etienne Falgoux, 2. John Ulugia, 3. Rabah Slimani, 4. Paul Jedrasiak, 5. Sébastien Vahaamahina, 6. Arthur Iturria, 7. Alexandre Lapandry, 8. Fritz Lee.

Replacements:
    16. Yohan Beheregaray, 17. Loni Uhila, 18. Sipili Falatea, 19. Sitaleki Timani, 20. Alexandre Fischer, 21. Greig Laidlaw, 22. Jake McIntyre, 23. Apisai Naqalevu

I dunno lads, that team looks beatable to me. Some incredible talent but Ulster could do this. Especially with Vahaamahina liable to push the self-destruct button at any moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Ulster team to play ASM Clermont Auvergne, Heineken Champions Cup Round 5, Saturday 11 January at Stade Marcel-Michelin (1pm UK/Irish time, live on BT Sport 2 & BeIN Sports):

(15-9) Will Addison, Robert Baloucoune, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney.

(1-8) Jack McGrath, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Sean Reidy, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole, Kieran Treadwell, Matthew Rea, David Shanahan, Bill Johnston, Matt Faddes.

Let's rock.

The team is building great momentum and some of those players are in fantastic form. A good result here will see us through so I expect to see a passionate game.

Clermont 42-12 Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ulster team to play ASM Clermont Auvergne, Heineken Champions Cup Round 5, Saturday 11 January at Stade Marcel-Michelin (1pm UK/Irish time, live on BT Sport 2 & BeIN Sports):

(15-9) Will Addison, Robert Baloucoune, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney.

(1-8) Jack McGrath, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Sean Reidy, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole, Kieran Treadwell, Matthew Rea, David Shanahan, Bill Johnston, Matt Faddes.

Let's rock.

Good side, hard to disagree with any of it..

Reidy has been in the form of his life, albeit at 7, Rea is a bit unlucky as he has been really abrasive recently and the more he plays the better he gets but it's good to have a choice there. Reidy will tackle and carry all day.

I would have had Gilroy benching ahead of Faddes, but Faddes is more versatile.

The team is building great momentum and some of those players are in fantastic form. A good result here will see us through so I expect to see a passionate game.

Clermont 42-12 Ulster

Hopefully we don't lose by 30 points!

I think we will probably fight them fire with fire so it will likely be high scoring.

So yes Clermont might well score 42 (roughly :) ), but I think we will hurt them too. I could see us getting a 4 try bonus point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

This game on the weekend will tell us a lot about how good Ulster are...theyve been on a great trajectory and how competitive they can be against a Clermont at home will tell us how far theyve come

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We'll beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    We'll beat them.

We want the negative awec back. We don't read your posts to read happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

He's up to something.

He's up to something.

When we're allowed to select from a full deck we're pretty decent. I don't think Clermont are as good as made out, and are somewhat dining out on past reputation.

I said last year when the draw was made that Ulster would top the pool and I still think we will.

Can't wait.

Clermont away is one of the great Heineken Cup fixtures and I love watching Ulster at the mo.

Going to be a cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ulster will win. By 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Does anyone know if any of the Academy forwards will break into the team this year? It was hoped the Academy would start producing quality players (particularly Forwards).

A lot of guys showed some great potential but haven't really heard much since?

Agnew, Allison, Dalton, Dunleavy, Hall, Regan, M Rea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any of the Academy forwards will break into the team this year? It was hoped the Academy would start producing quality players (particularly Forwards).

Allison would be your best bet out of those....McCann also could be decent in a few years

Agnew a bit small, Dunleavy, Regan not athletic enough, M Rea could be a squad player but nothing special,Dalton discipline and work rate issues. Hall looked promising but seems to have disappeared

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Rea Jnr looked pretty good in his first cap last season - I'd imagine he'd have have a couple more if he weren't injured. I've always heard that he's better than his big brother.

Callum Reid, Azur Allison, David McCann and Tom Stewart would four to watch in the pack. However forwards develop a bit later, look at Matthew Rea, or previously even someone like Chris Henry, so I wouldn't discount someone like Marcus Rea yet.

There are some decent backs as well, particularly Stewart Moore, who I think with a bit of good luck could go all the way to the top. Most have heard of Aaron Sexton and Ethan McIlroy looks a serious prospect too, very natural sort of player, although he could do with a few extra gym session. Also, I haven't seen him play, but Hayden Hyde is supposedly pretty good.

Allison would be your best bet out of those....McCann also could be decent in a few years

Agnew a bit small, Dunleavy, Regan not athletic enough, M Rea could be a squad player but nothing special,Dalton discipline and work rate issues. Hall looked promising but seems to have disappeared

I'd agree with all of this. David O'Connor being brought in this season might be a little telling for the futures of Dalton and Reagan. We don't have any 2nd row prospects in the u20's this year either (or any standout u19's), so honestly our best bet is to apologetically poach one of the Leinster lads down the road. Henderson, Treadwell an Alan O'Connor are young enough anyway.

McCann has been very impressive whenever I've watched him play and would be the most likely to make it imo. Allison would be the only other one I think has the potential to be a regular starter on a good ulster team. I liked Hall but he's had loads of injuries and hasn't pushed on. Not impressed with Agnew or Dunleavey unfortunately. Ryan O'Neil was very impressive in the interpros over a year ago - him and McCann outplayed the opposition backrows handily, but that was a while ago and he's had quite a bad injury and a long lay off from rugby since then. So i wouldn't be comfortable putting expectations on him.

We seem to have plenty of great prospects in the backs but maybe a little light on forwards. I think thats been our problem over the past 10 years. Where are our North Antrim Farmers!!!

We seem to have plenty of great prospects in the backs but maybe a little light on forwards. I think thats been our problem over the past 10 years. Where are our North Antrim Farmers!!!

Particularly second row. I don't even know if there are any decent prospects out there, even below Academy level.

As Loch Lamora suggests we are ok in the short term anyway at Ulster, but it would be nice to see someone emerge in the year or two at age grade level who will be 21/22/23 by the time Henderson hangs up the boots in 5+ years time or whenever he calls it a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

bilston wrote: »
    Particularly second row. I don't even know if there are any decent prospects out there, even below Academy level.

As Loch Lamora suggests we are ok in the short term anyway at Ulster, but it would be nice to see someone emerge in the year or two at age grade level who will be 21/22/23 by the time Henderson hangs up the boots in 5+ years time or whenever he calls it a day.

Locks have decent longevity, I'd be hoping for more like 8+ years out of Henderson. Suppose he may want a couple of years in France for a payday towards the end of his career.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Locks have decent longevity, I'd be hoping for more like 8+ years out of Henderson. Suppose he may want a couple of years in France for a payday towards the end of his career.

Well that's why I said 5+...that could mean 25 years!

He's what 27/28 I think. We'll see, but he has plenty of time anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

bilston wrote: »

There are a couple of good prospects at age grade but probably best not to mention names as still at school. Both getting a crack at Irish u18 camps a year early.

Update from Ulster

Matt Faddes sustained a shoulder injury in the game against Clermont, and will not be fit for this week’s game versus Bath.

Will Addison (calf) and Marty Moore (ankle) both sustained injuries in the Clermont match. Their fitness to play will be monitored throughout the week.

Stewart Moore replaces Angus Curtis in the European squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Stewart Moore replaces Angus Curtis in the European squad.

Was there ever an update on the injury Curtis sustained? Poor guy. He looks a good player but very unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

jacothelad wrote: »
    Was there ever an update on the injury Curtis sustained? Poor guy. He looks a good player but very unlucky.

ACL, has to go for surgery and they're saying 'long term' injury. So likely the usual year or so out.

Just checked and McCloskeys contract runs until 2022 so he might not get away for that payday...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Disappointed for Moore and McCloskey. Tom O'Toole is not ready for this. Moore is probably asking "W.T.F." Soon for TOT maybe but not yet. Jack McGrath hasn't been anything special either. O.K. but not the player of 2017 but he is getting there. EOS may be rightly disconcerted also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

O'Toole is such a strange call to me. Not that he's not a decent prospect and isn't playing well, but picking a firm second choice who's only had two seasons of senior rugby and is behind an experienced player who's come into some of his best form in years is such a bizarre call. The only thing I can think of is potentially Moore's fitness/weight going against him maybe.

O'Toole being in the squad proper rather than a development player is a weird one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    O'Toole being in the squad proper rather than a development player is a weird one.

Is it due to Moore being injured? And basically none of the others available are deemed useful into the future i.e. it's far better to invest time in TOT rather than have John Ryan holding tackle bags?

Advertisement